homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this little snippet from Anselmina this morning on the vocations thread in AS and think it is well worth preserving:

quote:
...but God likes to confound our limited ideas of what he can enable us to achieve for him.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
K:LB on the Circus game, The Church of England General Synod have banned Christmas because...

An obscure bunch of neo-Puritans objects to the observance and alternative non-Christmas observing episcopal oversight cannot be adequately arranged to ensure they never have to have contact with a bishop who's ever dressed up as Father Christmas or eaten a plum duff.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere in Hell:

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
That's truly the oddest post I've read in a while.
That is because you are (thanks to the Ship) a world renowned idiot.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped provides the chorus for the oratio that is RooK's Hell Call:

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Orfeo's right. Every last one of you has gone completely batshit insane.

All we, like freaks
(All we, like freaks)
Have gone in-SA--A-A-ANE
Have gone IN-SA--AY-AY-ANE
have gone in-sa-ay-ay--ay-ay-ay-AY-ay-ay-ay-ane...
And the Ship hath laid on RooK the iniquity of us all.

[ 05. December 2012, 18:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister answers RooK's question:

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
When other people walk into a church with a looming crucifix, how do they describe what they see?

and encapsulates many people's reaction to RooK's earlier remark about a DJOAS.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
rood

Wish I'd thought of it.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This comment from pjl has already caused much merriment on the "How did you come to be on The Ship" thread in Heaven, but it deserves to be preserved to cause future generations much joy:

quote:
Noticing everybody on here was sane, rational and logical, I signed up.
[Killing me]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Clune in the latest "Oh My God There's A War On Christmas" thread:

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
What is it, The Holiday that Dare Not Speak its Name?
Seems to me more like the holiday that can't shut up.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the same thread, this excellent exchange:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I was totally gutted that McD's didn't have a dawili burger and KFC didn't have a ramadam bucket. Boycotted them ever since.

Is that a bucket that only opens between sunset and sunrise?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't believe I missed this:

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I wish someone would involve me in a masturbatory exercise.

If you've not been getting enough masturbatory exercise, you've only yourself to blame.
One one hand, you are correct.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB:
quote:
I've given up ridiculing Protestants for their solas for Advent.

[Big Grin] A worthy discipline. It would be nice if the more pugnacious prots would match it on Catholic "works".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Need to quotes file this.

In response to a comment which seemed to suggest a poster was being picked on.

quote:

Originally posted by Orfeo
You say this as if the hunters all cruelly targeted the same poor little Bambi with their arrows.

Instead of Bambi strapping on a magnet the likes of which you've never seen, donning fluorescent orange pants and crying "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" at the top of his lungs while prancing across the forest clearing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "The Atheist Canon" thread:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Once you get a canon you can start defining heretics.

[Confused] Heretics against what?
Clearly, atheistic heretics are those who refuse to believe in the existence of the wrong god...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of the many comments on the school shooting, this is one of my favourites:

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
Hijackers crash planes into buildings killing 3,000 Americans and this country changes air regulations,develops new screening technology, increases domestic and international intelligence and goes to the ends of the earth to try to prevent it from happening again. 12,000 Americans are murdered by guns annually and "There's nothing we can do. Someone will slip through the cracks and do it again. People are just bad."

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lovely undercut:

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
No! I am the Hetero-Overlord: all look at me and despair!

I bet you get all the despairing looks.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Killing me] GOLD!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Gamaliel in Purg.
By the way, xxx, your PM box is full so I can't even insult you in private ...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As George Takei would say, Oh myyyyy...

quote:
Originally posted by somebody:
Hey Mad Cat, I'm in love with me too, but it's not working out.

quote:
Riposte by Tortuf:
Use your left hand.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo responding to one of Hairy Biker's explanations for divorce:

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
to farting in bed

Then who can be saved?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin PC Not on the "I have a picture..." thread:

quote:
There IS baby, but the bathwater is oceanic.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From IngoB, in Purgatory, on trivialising the Eucharist:
quote:

And when these [understandings] are lacking, then we approach the Lion of Judah with "here, kitty, kitty, kitty, ..." on our lips.
IngoB

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Perhaps it would be equally useful to ask why you would need to call a Scotsman "Jock", or refer to the Chinese restaurant as "Chinky's". I can't imagine it's meant as a term of affection. If you don't know an individual well enough to use their name, you don't know them well enough to refer to them by a term they would not find complimentary.

I've always found it a bit hard to fathom why anyone would want to "rescue" these words and make them more generally acceptable. You can accuse me of being "politically correct" if you wish, but there really isn't anything political about it--it's simple good manners. "Politically incorrect" is usually just a term to justify rudeness.

However, if I can have apple pie for breakfast every morning you are more than welcome to call me a Yankee.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
love this exchange, from Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
... and the Pharisee lifted his eyes to heaven (as he walked out of the Minster) saying, I thank thee O God that I am not like that sinner over there at the lecturn...

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
'And verily the Gamaliel looked across at Brother Oscar and did lift his eyes unto heaven, saying, "I thank Thee oh Lord, that I am not a Pharisee like Brother Oscar."

Whereupon Major Mudfrog walked into the Minster and seeing Brother Gamaliel, Brother Oscar and all the other Pharisees there assembled did lift up his eyes even unto the heavens, saying, "I thank Thee oh Lord, that I am not a Pharisee like Brother Gamaliel and Brother Oscar ..."'

Whereupon yet another Shipmate didst come there into that place to pray and seeing Major Mudfrog, Brother Gamaliel and Brother Oscar giving their gifts upon the altar, lifted their own eyes unto heaven, saying ...'

We all know the rest.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I prefer the occasion when a Shipmate didst come there into that place to pray and seeing Major Mudfrog, Brother Gamaliel and Brother Oscar giving their gifts upon the altar, lifted his eyes unto heaven, saying I thank thee Lord that we are all acceptable in thy sight through the merits of your Son our Lord, etc, and that, being recipients of grace - by various and diverse means - we are all brothers in the faith.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ever read something that got better and better as it went along?

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Men put their penises into women's vaginas because that can result in offspring. If it couldn't, then they wouldn't. Really. Because they experience this as pleasurable or indeed as a bodily expression of their romantic love because it can result in offspring. If it couldn't, then they wouldn't.

Well, that sure explains why Bonobo monkeys do penis fencing. It's that desire for procreation.
I'm leaving off the wikipedia url for bonobo monkey as it may not be NSFW.

Bonobos aren't monkeys.
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Chimps?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Same observation as above, more serious:

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Turning God into the great Sexist in the Sky and choosing to believe that, doesn`t absolve all the little sexists. There are few attempts to treat some human beings as being more equal than others which haven`t been baptised at some point. Projecting the sexism onto the deity and then pretending your hands are tied and you no longer have to consider the justice or injustice of what you do is a cop-out, and the same one that the Pharisees took. "Don't bother me with all that shit about justice and treating others the same as myself, I've read the law, if God wanted those people treated decently he wouldn't have ordained them to be poor or Samaritan or whatever, they`d be nice middle class Jewish blokes like us who uphold tradition and then we could treat them nicely like ourselves!`

God must surely stand convicted on that one because if he had wanted total equality one assumes he would not have created two sexes in the first place and then left one lot stuck with doing all the childbirth and the queue for the ladies' loo.
Yeah He should have made us all the same. Duh.

We are always going to find ways to hate and fear women, black, gay, fat, ginger, Anglo Catholic, whatever. It is not about how different He made us but our wilful ability to not heed the Word made flesh.

Shame on your poor ill thought out theology.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liopleurodon, on the Feminazi Hell Thread:

quote:
Not being a racist sexist homophobic fuckwad is not some kind of elite educational achievement - it's a minimum standard for decent human being.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Soror Magna, on the "I'm a feminazi and so is my wife" thread in Hell:

quote:
So what's the politically correct term for racist? "Racist" used to be a perfectly nice word, like faggot or pickaninny or feminazi, but now the uppity racists get all offended and hysterical when they are called racists. They would prefer to be called ... what would racists prefer to be called? Equality challenged? Empathically disordered? Can-dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it-ists? Privileged whiners?
and along the same lines

quote:
and now the misogynists are also offended and hysterical because they've been called misogynists. What would they prefer to be called? MCPs? Dinosaurs? Dickheads? The-altar-is-a-no-girls-allowed-treehouse priesthood? Poor babies. They don't like being called misogynists. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An essay question from sebby's A levels:
quote:
'The New English Bible is fit only for intellectual pigmies. Discuss.'

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'm not very familiar with the NEB, but I'd be sure to remind the examiner that God chose the intellectual pygmies of the world to shame the wise.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Yipee] Quintessential Hart.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

My friends, the elusive FLP Quotes File nab:

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Sorry folks, I just Doublethink

Do not apologise! Most people do not single think.

[ 10. January 2013, 07:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it rational to believe Marvin the Martian

Can I reserve judgement on that one?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the prayer thread, which is usually cause for tears, not laughter. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Telepath:
Because nothing says "we love you and want to welcome you into our family" like kidnapping and surprise nonelective surgery to the nethers.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Is it rational to believe Marvin the Martian

Can I reserve judgement on that one?

I do check The Circus from time to time, you know... [Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Two face]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In a Hell call in which the implied prerequisites were met, Firenze gave us this:

quote:
Someone who hasn't cottoned on to the use of terms for genitalia as insults. What a knob.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the latest gun control thread:

quote:
<snip>, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

--Tom Clune

Seems like it fits on a lot of threads...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin on judgementalism and changing ones ways:

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
There IS a challenge of how we get that message across - that people do need to respond to God's grace - without being too negative about where they are now. It is, of course, a problem of balance, but we can't just give up and pretend that Jesus doesn't require a response. Easy? Of course not. But dismissing all challenge to popular sins as 'judgemental' is unacceptable, especially when the right to continue to be judgemental towards the unfashionable is reserved.

I think the problem is that you're looking at this backwards. You think that if we continually rail against sin such that we can convince (or force, if we manage to persuade enough politicians) everyone to stop sinning then everyone will automatically turn to Christ.

But that doesn't work. Nobody, but nobody, turns to Christ just because they stopped doing something else. So in salvation terms you haven't done anything for anybody.

What I advocate is showing people the love of Christ first. No judgmentalism, no condemnation, no lifestyle challenges. Just the love of Christ. Invite them in, welcome them, include them, serve them. When Christ is living within their hearts that will provide the impetus for them to change their lives to better suit His Will.

[Overused]

[ 23. January 2013, 01:56: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
... my higher self is on vacation just now and may not be back for some time.

I'm tempted to print this out and tape it to my office door...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You want a baby sling for that grudge you're carrying?

I know she just posts things like this to get on this thread. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "CL" thread in Hell, Evensong said:

quote:
I'm not silly. I'm Anglican.
NOTE: I've taken it out of context. She was protesting an insult towards Anglicans. But, out of context, it struck me as funny. No offense intended.

[ 25. January 2013, 02:42: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The inimitable Pyx_e, in Hell:

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'm sure "Not giving a fuck" is a recognised coping mechanism.

It is a recognised and Authorised shorter version of the "Serenity Prayer" in my neck of the woods. Otherwise translated as "Ah fuck it."

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[tangent]

It is even available in book form!

[/tangent]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
[tangent]

[/tangent]

OMG

[Killing me]

I wonder if that would go down well with my Spiritual Director. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[tangent]

[/tangent]

If anyone is wondering, I was entirely unaware of this book's existence.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

tclune in fine form in purg:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Alpha, run and tailored by the right people, may be an excellent place to ask questions without being evangelised.

Absolutely. And your local automobile dealership is a terrific place to find unbiased information about the new car models without having to endure a sales pitch.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Tai Chi thread in Purgatory
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Is Tai Chi dodgy and can it be dangerous?

I doubt you're going to get demons flying up your bottom from a couple of minutes spent standing on one leg.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In the "...but some are more equal than others" thread in Purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
I'm guessing that one's support for special treatment for certain religions is directly related to how certain one is that one's own religion will be the one getting the special favors.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The dawning glow of feminism on a couple of good guys (about a school which required girls only to sign a no-swearing pledge):

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
First they came for the girls, and I said nothing...

No, no, no! First, they came for the girls, and I said, "%!@&$..."

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tclune is on a roll. Here he is in Kerygmania, on the "Was Sampson Stupid?" thread:

quote:
Samson kind of seems like David to me. He had a heart for the Lord and his head up his ass.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

lilBuddha in Hell, doing a sublime job of marrying respect for the Ship's principles with a cutting remark.

quote:
Of course you like this. It describes your debate style perfectly. The difference being SD actually debates* as opposed to merely spewing pejoratives.

*In accordance with the guidelines of offering a definition of unfamiliar words...
quote:
debate- a contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Can't add anything to this:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Honestly, it's like trying to have a discussion with a performing seal...

I know the origins of both halves of your demented sentence, okay? That doesn't automatically mean it makes a lick of sense when you mash the two together.

I'll sign off from this ridiculous exchange now with this thought: Blessed are the poor, for they a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Well, maybe I can add what provoked this outburst:

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:

Ceci n'est pas une "How do you like THEM apples?"

[ 08. February 2013, 03:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016