homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 46)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by no prophet
quote:
(And by the way, it's marriage, not gay marriage. I also just park my car, and don't expect gay people to gay park.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Class. In Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
Well. I'm glad I haven't posted in a while.

I so rarely agree with you that I wanted to mark the occasion.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink, responding to the suggestion that the timing of H&A Day was somehow inappropriate:

quote:
If the pope had informed SoF of his resignation in advance, we might perhaps have been able to reschedule but sadly he didn't.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet re leo, in true hellhost style:

you don't have the sense God gave a donut, your mother probably had the good sense to not inform you of the state of her sexual satisfaction you complete and utter freak.

jaysus I weep for humanity.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunzia on Sarah Palin:
quote:
Many men have wanted to fuck her brains out, and somebody apparently succeeded.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, super-sharp and expansive:
quote:
We live in an age where every bit of cosmology that has actual support in real observations and experimental data accords smoothly with traditional Christian views, whereas alternate hypothesis (like the "multiverse") are so incredibly anti-parsimonious as to lead to an Ockhamian splatter-fest as soon as the protective layer of pure ideology is removed.

We live in an age where the physical theory with the undoubtedly best experimental confirmation, quantum theory, has relied for many decades and fundamentally on an complete ad hoc mechanism ("the collapse of the wavefunction") that nobody really understands, but which seems to be tied annoyingly to the presence of very special entities, "observers", us. This, and the general structure of quantum theory, provides ample room for speculations, including religiously motivated ones.

We live in an age where biology is taking over as the lead science from physics. Biologists still can't write a paper without invoking some kind of teleology somewhere, and that's not going to change either. It is hence just a question of time until the ideology of rejecting final causality, which was tied to the mechanistic views from physics, is overcome. Once final causality is back, intellectual atheism will be deprived of its oxygen.

We live in an age where the rapid advances of neuroscience increasingly make Descartes' points about doubting evidence relevant. While Cartesian dualism is dubious (though not proven wrong, as many assume), the gap between the measurements of brain function and the core experiential truth of mental life is if at all growing wider and deeper. Already a honest materialist must declare himself to be an illusion, at which point really only two reactions are possible: point at him and ROTFL, or throw him into a lunatic asylum. Unsurprisingly, the hylemorphic dualism of traditional Christianity fits perfectly fine with all available evidence.

We live in an age where the original Darwinism has died a death of thousand cuts, and the current theory of evolution (if there is anything deserving the name) is some hodgepodge of punctuated equilibria, cross-species genetic vectors, group evolution and distinctly Lamarckian noises about epigenetics. Anyway, whatever the fate of "evolution", it does not actually threaten classical theism. Whether Christianity will get more support from this than the Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve remains to be seen.

We live in an age where Thomism has made a comeback through analytical philosophy and essentialism is becoming increasingly popular again. Furthermore, it has been centuries since proofs of God have been last so vigorously and competently defended. Not only has there been a new lease of life for classical arguments, new ones have emerged as well (probabilistic, grammar based, ...). Finally, post-modernism, where not busy eating itself, has made some valid points about knowledge and interpretation that make it difficult to keep a straight face when listening to scientism-ists. It is to be expected that we will progress beyond Popperian and even Kuhninan simplifications in describing what real scientists actually do.

This is going to be a golden age for Christians, intellectually at least. Atheism is so 20thC.

Wonderful.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some nice self-deprecating humor:

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
Nor do I require an essay, . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Which is good. I've rarely had anyone say to me "Hey Crœsos, why don't you make your posts longer?"

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rolyn, continuing a speculation on Mrs Thatcher's sex life in GHILFs in (for some reason) Hell
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Gextvedde:
I'm confident she'd make you do as you're told in the sack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been trying to form a mental picture on this one at work today.
I wonder, at what point during the proceedings maggie would say, "The lady's not for turning" ?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patdys on the 'skills' of Christians...

quote:
I think if Jesus had less apologists, he would have a whole lot less to apologise for.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha on the "Arguing for atheism by arguing against theism" thread:
quote:
The default position of humans is wonder. From this develops everything else.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's wonderful.

Literally I guess! [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

[ 24. February 2013, 18:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Martin's posting style or not, this from the EE thread in Hell had me laughing...

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Typical Martin, communicating like a magic 8 ball for no good reason.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, in the 'God on trial' thread:
quote:
You cannot bulldoze over people with your love. You cannot hand out your love like candy. You cannot run advertisement campaigns for your love. Love is intimate, love is personal, love is poetic. Love cannot be shouted into existence. Love cannot be rubbed into people's faces. Love is easier shown than spoken, and where it is spoken it must be precious or it will turn cheap.

[ 27. February 2013, 12:55: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Deciding who is and isn't an evangelical is a lot like Calvinball.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Men on golf:
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
It's a safety thing...women are terrible drivers <ducks>

[Devil]

I think you'll find men are worse at putting because they will insist five inches are actually nine.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Stejjie, on always believing the best of others:

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
With regards Eutychus' point: it may be that CL is not bitter, or angry or hateful. It may be that he is none of those things. It may be that he feels nothing but joy and gladness all day and every morning skips and gambols through the fields like a little lamb, free from care and singing songs of joy like Julie Andrews at the beginning of "The Sound of Music".

You never know.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stick Monitor:
quote:
A "meh" on both their houses...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing against praise bands. I like a good praise band, matter of fact. But the following is just a thing of beauty:

quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
TICTH those 'worship leaders' who think it's OK to drown out every attempt at conversation before the service, by practising with the amp turned up. Those worship leaders whose egos are so large, they have their own gravitational fields. Those who - in their arrogance - presume to intersperse their vacuous, quasi-musical offerings, with equally vacuous verbal dross. Those who can't tell the difference between self-indulgence, and the Spirit of God. Those that substitute hype for spirituality.... and those who will only sing songs which are so new, the ink hasn't dried on the page.

It is as well for you, that these aren't the "days of Elijah": He'd kick your asses off the stage, and garrotte you with your own guitar strings.

May you spend eternity listening to the sound of your own voice....through other people's ears.

"Garrotte you with your own guitar strings..." (sigh). Gorgeous imagery.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Karl, Liberal Backslider:

do you know what "irony" is? Hint - it's nothing like "bronzy" or "tinny".

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet and the Hell Mission Statement™ :
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Molopata The Rebel:
Is this really worth a hell call?

We keep our standards low and pass the savings on to you.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Originally posted by Karl, Liberal Backslider:

do you know what "irony" is? Hint - it's nothing like "bronzy" or "tinny".

Honour demands I point out that I nicked that one from Blackadder.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, to you guys this is a joke, to a Northern Californian this is a brillaint venture idea:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
*sigh*

I just ate an "artisanal" peanut-butter sandwich for supper. Unfortunately, I'm still hungry, and the fridge contents are far from inspiring.

What is an artisanal peanut butter sandwich please?
Well, Kelly took this to a level I hadn't imagined,[I made a wisecrack about $7 jars of peanut butter] but what I meant in my ironic fashion was a peanut butter sandwich made by hand. [Hot and Hormonal]

You know, like all of them.

I was with Kelly. I was imagining peanut butter for which each individual peanut had been hand-crushed by yeoman Nutters using hammers dating back to Agincourt, before being gloopified in cauldrons over fires of Patagonian birch twigs and packed in recycled WW II jam pots before being sent over the mountains by mule train.

[ 06. March 2013, 19:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ever-quotable Gildas has surpassed himself on the 'Gays are horrible parents' thread in Dead Horses:

A Thomist would probably argue that we know that bringing up a child by homosexual parents is wronger than a wrong thing that is wrong because we know that this violates the rationally known natural order of things. An Enlightenment Fundamentalist (to borrow an expression from a self-described enlightenment fundamentalist whom I admire very much) would say that this is mystical obfuscation and reason and science show us examples of gay penguins bringing up children and that gayness is itself natural. I say fie upon your conceptions of the natural, all we can say is that gay people are clearly capable of sacrifical love for one another and that they are capable of sacrificial love for the children they rear. That is all we can know and, frankly, all we need to know.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze and North East Quine on the subject of cooking in the "Can't cook, won't cook" thread in Heaven:

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
And, unlike sex, you can listen to something interesting on Radio 4 at the same time.

Why ever not? You'll be saying next you ought to put your book down.
[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the thread about the usefulness or otherwise of the word "religion":

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I don't buy this 'relationship' stuff - and for much the same reason that John Macquarrie dismisses the idea of prayer-as-communication in Principles of Christian Theology. To put it in basic terms, and as I've said here before, if it's a relationship, it wouldn't kill him to pick up the phone once in a while.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
From the thread about the usefulness or otherwise of the word "religion":

quote:
I don't buy this 'relationship' stuff - and for much the same reason that John Macquarrie dismisses the idea of prayer-as-communication in Principles of Christian Theology. To put it in basic terms, and as I've said here before, if it's a relationship, it wouldn't kill him to pick up the phone once in a while.

You know where I said, "as I've said here before"? Well ... I've got an uncomfortable hunch I've actually been quoted on that before! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
See, to you guys this is a joke, to a Northern Californian this is a brillaint venture idea:

As well as a brilliant bit of writing. I was going to quote-file it, but I buggered up my code.

I'm going to find an excuse to use 'gloopified' sometime soon.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Another gem from that thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Well, as noted upthread, my ordinary meals tend to be glop, spodge, or goo, as described by various posters above. Perfectly serviceable in terms of nutrition and taste, but low on presentability.

Sounds like my cooking, but this is why clear labelling is so important.

Glop with spices + rice = curry
Glop with herbs + pasta = pasta
Glop with herbs + rice = risotto
Glop with spices + pasta = fusion
Glop with mashed potato on top = some variant on shepherd's pie
Glop in a tortilla wrap = Mexican
Glop with paprika + rice (or dumplings*) = goulash
Pepper stuffed with glop = stuffed pepper
Aubergine stuffed with glop = there is a Turkish name for this but I've forgotten it
Foul-tasting glop + tamarind paste + rice = tamarind curry (tamarind is excellent for hiding an experiment that went wrong)

FWIW I take the line that anyone who doesn't like the appearance of my food hasn't quite grasped the point of eating.

* Dumplings are basically bread converted into glop.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest, I would have liked it even better if passer had just stuck with the brilliant first half. But what the heck. Have the whole thing on the natural life cycle of a Hellcall.

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

I notice this thread is mutating as people find a thread that is Betts free.

All part of the natural process. As it ages, it starts to sleep more and more - up to 18 hours a day. It responds to occasional feeding, and sometimes engages in light exploratory exercise. At this point a vet will often intervene and it will be put to sleep. The timing of that action can appear arbitrary, and dependent on the personal skill and judgement of the vet. The owner may be consulted, but is a bystander when the coup de grace is delivered.

Oh - no, that's cats, not threads.

All part of the natural process. It becomes less and less active, gradually drifting into a semi-aware state called pauk, before its life force is returned to the Original Beholder. A recently demised thread, or gossie, will migrate to the intermediate location known as Oblivion, where it can still be contacted, though finding it can be difficult. Trying to engage with it while it’s in pauk can have unpredictable consequences. Memorable gossies will end up in Limbo, while those whose existence left a stain on the conscious world may end up in the cave marked with an X.

Oh - no, that's Helliconia, not Hell.

Mark has had his attention-jag, and appears to have departed, sated. His self-esteem will have been boosted by his performance, so for him it's not all bad.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
An atheist who shows love for all is more Godly than a Christian who shows hate for some. If that's the kind of atheism you decry, I say lets have more of it.
Damn skippy.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

And go, Adeodatus!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
... We are called to embrace sinners...

Speaking as a sinner, I prefer not to have my personal space invaded, thanks.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this, in Purgatory, made me laugh:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Apologies for a non-pope related thread.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helpful words of wisdom to remember, for when other people in church react differently to you:

Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
You go (or stay) where God is calling you. It is entirely possible that the plans he has for you and for the person in the pew next to you may be different. No disobedience, just different roles in the body of Christ.
-------------------------------
Tubbs: This. The Priest and some of the congregation members are being called along one path, you and some others are being called along another. Provided everything else is above board, there's nothing wrong with that.

[ 18. March 2013, 09:54: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy in 'Anglicans and the new pope':

Then again, my daddy also used to say, "Mary, if you aren't going to act like a lady, you will by God act like a gentleman." Which is why I take my hat off when I enter a building and hold doors open for people-- out of basic respect for their dignity as human beings. Even if they are notorious jackasses and supreme ignoramuses.

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
There is not much Pope Francis can add theologically, if you ask me.

Well, after a couple of millennia and no new Scriptures, I'd say all the theologians can pack up and go home. It's all sorted.
And here abouts Purg can be wholly devoted to secular politics and sociology. [Cool]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With regards to the new Abp. of Canterbury being seated the same week as the new Bishop of Rome:

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
We are going to have a honeymoon period - singing "Hosanna to the Sons of Durham and Argentina" and laying cloaks and leaves before them.... followed by whipping, scourging, and a hasty crucifixion.

The only thing not clear is who we will crucify between them.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Well, the last part of this exchange about bodily insults made me laugh. I need a series of quotes for context.

quote:
Posted by mousethief:
If he had said "bloody cunts of all genders" would that not be sexist because he mentioned all genders? No, it's sexist because it's using a part of the female anatomy as an insult.

quote:
posted by Sine Nomine:
Where does that leave 'dickhead'?

quote:
posted by passer:
Alongside twat, I imagine.

quote:
posted by mousethief:
You're doing it wrong.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Organ Grinder says it well, and says it for a lot of us:

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
At this point I've posted enough fluff on this thread that it only seems fair I try to make a more substantive contribution.

I was born and raised in the US. I've lived in the West, the Midwest, New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern regions. My education is thoroughly American, reflecting its strengths and weaknesses. Whether I like it or not, my brain is thoroughly wired as an American--my sense of humor, my understanding and usage of language, my tastes and culture...

I will never be "at home" anywhere else on earth in the manner that I am here.

I love the US--it is far from perfect, but my life and my friends are here. Does it embarrass me sometimes? Yes. Does it make me proud sometimes? Yes. I could say the same about my favorite relatives.

So I will continue to stumble along, trying to make the country a little bit better when I see something that needs to be fixed, trying to preserve things of which I feel we should be justifiably proud and trying to keep myself informed so I can tell the difference until the day when my ashes become part of the landscape here.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Get used to the feeling, hon.

quote:
Breaks down and starts sobbing uncontrollably on account of having agreed to read all Hell threads.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

It's okay, I've hatched an escape plan. [Razz]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:

I expect though it depends on the bodies being buried where you think they are.

We've got lumps of it round the back...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I expect though it depends on the bodies being buried where you think they are.

Nah. Just fleeing the country instead.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Organ Grinder says it well, and says it for a lot of us...

I probably need to get a life, but there is nothing that will make my day like discovering someone quoted me on this thread! Thanks, Kelly.
[Yipee]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some awesome from Lamb Chopped:

quote:
originally posted by Mere Nick:
It was Italians who killed Jesus, wasn't it?

quote:
originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Nope, it was me.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only time you can confess to a murder on the internet and not get picked up...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
If you want an animal that loves you then there are these things called dogs, I understand, that will assume that you created God.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

We should have a separate floating fund to pay for the psychiatric expenses of Hell Hosts:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Or perhaps he decided Hell was boring these days and thought he'd post something stupid to see how many stupid people would respond.

The way things are going, we're going to have to post an 11th Commandment soon: thou shalt not post utterly pointless shit in Hell just because you're bored.

Since when did the Ship become the only source of excitement for you people anyway? Can't you go play in traffic or something? Teach lambada at the local nursing home? Become a graffiti artist? Perfect your juggling?

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The flow of this was beauty in its hilarity.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
And, quite naturally, I would argue that it's right to insist that one must confess the Orthodox faith and have been received into the Orthodox Church to receive holy communion in the Orthodox Church.

Ikea meatballs tonight.
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Eh?

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
What else can you make out of a dead horse? Certainly not a productive argument.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By Hooker's Trick:

quote:
There was a 'children's sermon' though of such buttock-clenching cringeworthiness I remember it to this day.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My co-Hellhost comet, drew a neat distinction between bulletin boards (like us) on the one hand a twitter (amongst other social media sites), just before closing a Hell thread that had outstayed its usefulness:

We Are Not The Twits. Keep your twitting hashtag thingies for the mothertwitting social twitting media twitsites.

(the following is directed to all hashtagging twits, not just <name deleted>)

drives me fucking nuts. you want to say something, say it. don't remove all spaces and render every fucking thought down to a little nugget of cliche. We don't talk like that. and whenever I see it, I imagine some nitwit blurting it all out in one word like the verbal equivalent of a giant, rude belch. Save it for fellow like-minded belchers and when you're around real fucking humans pretend you're older than a kindergardener and USE YOUR WORDS!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016