homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
la vie en rouge on the Heavenly Opera Pedants thread refers to a production of The Magic Flute as being wonderful:

*Apart from the first ten minutes or so, which were Out. Of. Tune. Which is a bugger, because you sit there going “Oh crap, am I going to sit through three hours of no one singing in key?” The show was basically saved when the Queen of the Night turned up and nailed her first aria, at which point her colleagues all went “Oh yeah, that’s how you sing in tune” and bucked their ideas up .

[ 27. March 2014, 11:27: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of quetzalcoatl's observations on the effect of the legalisation of same-sex marriage on a heterosexual relationship:

quote:
At the stroke of midnight, both my wife and I noticed a sudden lurch in our hitherto blissful mood. We looked at each other with barely concealed spite and envy; we hissed like cats in the night. At five past, I spat out, 'how about divorce?', and she spat back, 'name the day'.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves's insight on Silence, in Ecclesiantics: It's almost like the presence of noise outside gives shape and tangibility to the silence inside.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deep truth surprising me on a thread about organising church retreats.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alone.

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity Killed: I knew I shouldn't have posted on this thread.
Classic quote - if only more people thought this before posting!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Curiosity Killed: I knew I shouldn't have posted on this thread.
Classic quote - if only more people thought this before posting!

It would be a bit less interesting here if they did and Simon would have closed the site for lack of postings.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a specific thread. My post on that thread meant an inference was made that I was volunteering for something. That particular response was me turning down the opportunity by outing myself as much as anything.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not think Chorister was aiming at you specifically or the context of your specific post. Just the words unattached from any particular content.
My reply certainly was not aimed at anyone.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The following is what happens when you let the damn philosophers take the steering wheel of the Hell bus:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Those passages are actually really important. The conjugation and the declension are the important parts. Das Rot takes an ~es because it's das Pferd. Das Kind becomes dem Kind in the dative tense. If you threw in another adjective, it would be dem jugen Kind.

Mebbe you already knew that. I'll be quiet now.

It's a while since I last heard reference to the dative tense, rather than case - many thanks for bringing back ancient memories.

But as for the rest of your post. It's appalling. No reference to the poor ablative at all. There it is, stuck at the end of most declensions I've heard. all by its own, no friend to be with and all flows from it. Sheer casist behaviour if you ask em, and I hope that others will join me in expressing outrage at it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
The following is what happens when you let the damn philosophers take the steering wheel of the Hell bus:

Philosophers debating German grammar for some reason reminds me of this.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots more faffing with grammar by IngoB and Zach82 brought forth this gem from mousethief -

quote:
All right you two, get a room for your conjugational visitation.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Cresswell invents a new variant of his own law on the Evangelical Alliance thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A discussion in which only one answer is possible sounds tedious, not to mention pointless.

Genius!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure, that might be my first entry in the quotes file.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that was a decade ago.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If Hell were a sex toy shop, this thread would be the blow-up sheep.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The madness continues as Ariston hints about possible rubber sheep experiences in his history:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Inflatabeastiality. [Disappointed] This thread has sunk to a new low, even for Hell.

Well, at least we know what floats Ariston's boat.
Not that we are judging, mind....Oh Hell, yes we are. Jesus Christ on a unicycle, that is just weird. Hey quetz, got a patient for you.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If Hell were a sex toy shop, this thread would be the blow-up sheep.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, in Ecclesiantics, on Canon Law:
quote:

I can't speak for my US colleagues, but I tend to turn a deaf eye [sic] to the canons because
  • They're so bloody bewildering they make Nag Hammadi look like Four Spiritual Laws
  • They're so bloody pedantic they make Sharia Law look inviting, and
  • market forces (what the people like and/or write settings for) tend to dictate choices far more effectively than some obscure paragraph under Section 5 Subsection D clause 8 Point 3(a) of The Stupid Legislations about How to Pray Act hereinafter called "Stupid Nit-picking regulations made on the hoof at a 1970s Synod"

But you know. That's just me. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e on ken's thread:
quote:
Into your hands O merciful Saviour, we commend your servant Ken. Acknowledge, we pray, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Amen.

o/ Ken, looking forward to the glorious day when you can fully explain to all of us in great detail some theological point, while the Man sits behind you nodding His head along with you. I don't think it will add to your post count though.

Everything will be alright, don't be afraid, love is here.

Amen

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Amen. Thank you, Pyx.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just love this sentence:

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
This is like saying that both mining and dancing depend on muscular power.

For those of you insist on reading it IN context, you can find it here. But I didn't feel I could quote it in context without diluting its beauty.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! I'm quoting deano!
quote:
Never mind the thumb or fingertip test, ladies skirts and sermons should test each other...

Long enough to cover the essentials but short enough to be interesting.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that line about dresses from a Reader's Digest of the '50s.

Nothing like an oldie!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Tradition gets you so far, but it is the carrier of the content of belief, not the reason for belief.

Profound and brief, a rare gift.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
anoesis speaks Great Truth™ on why new mamas don't generally like to put out.
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
when you are a mobile lactation unit who is also wrist deep in excrement or vomit a number of times a day, no amount of chores/foot massages/deep baths are going to make you want to have any more interface with bodily fluids than you are already having...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by The Bunny with an Axe:
quote:
Team Admin has received a directive straight from God informing us the Ariston has a hell of a lot of karma to work off, so we are clamping leg irons on him before he can escape his interim Hell Host position

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Whatever else happened with the pudding, a Maryland license plate, a five-pack of mini ballpoint pens, and a bar of chocolate, it certainly wasn't that bad, was it?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From lilBuddha in the Offencelessness thread here in The Circus, talking about yours truly

...I am forced to compliment you on your amazing disguise as a clueless, senile and delusional pensioner.

Thank you, I have to tell you that for a guy with a brain the size of a planet it takes a deal of effort.

I laughed out loud and get some very strange looks when I first read this.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gonna piss everyone off by getting this one first:

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

if the worst anyone ever can say about me is that I'm a fashion accident, I'm letting down my side.

(giggle)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Leaf, on a thread about whether clergy are lazy if they don't hold Ascension Day services midweek:

quote:
how deficient we must all be in your sight! How insufficiently arsed!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Funny retort by Wesley J on 'Famous Last Posts' thread in Circus:

Rid me of this troublesome... Eutychus

So he was chucked out of that window after all?!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"Ask a silly question" dept.:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
Are you both grown men, able to stand on your own two feet?

Nope, not me. I'm a brainwashed slave of tradition. I haven't had a rational thought in about a decade. And I understand as objective truth whatever my ecclesial overlords dictate. Sorry to disappoint.
Damn. I really shouldn't have talked to you without asking Rome for permission first. There will be beatings, mark my words, there will be beatings. But now you must excuse me - I have to carefully tear these pages out of a bible to have a neat pile of toilet paper available, for whenever our Lord Bishop returns from raping helpless infants in the orphanage. Every word of scripture is useful in that way, you know?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo on a Heaven thread (which may well move to Purgatory)

quote:
Honestly, just because someone was an evil tyrant doesn't mean they didn't know anything. In fact, I'd say you usually have to be pretty smart to plot your rise to evil tyrant status.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by daisydaisy, about deciding what stuff to get rid of each year:
quote:

... anything that didn't move (and sometimes even the cats look worried) ...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kaplan Corday, on the 'barbarous neologisms' thread in Heaven, displays wit and economy:

quote:
Thinking about barbarisms, many people are guilty of dangling participles.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the etymologically interested, The Silent Acolyte is in brilliant form:

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
How do you get restoration from ἀποκαταστάσεως

[Confused]

Away from (Apo)
going down/according to (Kata)
standing/insurrection (stasis)

You can arrive at the meaning of uninflammable by breaking it up:

un + in + flam + able

and then sussing the sense out as "the quality of being insusceptible to breaking out in flame," but then you leave aside the meaning of "not irascible."

As well, the idea that florescence comes from florescens, or to bloom, helps you in botanical contexts, but it leaves aside the metaphorical meaning of "flourishing", which ill serves you when you run across "florescence" in a paper on salts staining the surface of water-soaked stone (a florescence of salts on the surface). You stray even further afield when you encounter the abbreviation of another form of this Latin word, floruit, when you read "fl. ca. 3rd cent" in some tiny-print footnote. It means "he wrote mostly around the third century."

To get at ἀποκαταστάσεως, when, like me, your license for Greek is restricted largely to doing word studies, you need more help.

The place to start, and probably stop, is to look up ἀποκατάστασις in Newman's Greek-English Dictionary that is bound into many UBS Greek New Testaments. There you find: "restoration", plain and simple. Do stop there.

However, if you are blessed with more books and idle time than sense, you can go to BDAG and read the short article there, which gives you three contexts for the use of the word and a verbal cognate:
  1. the return of a heavenly body (e.g., the sun) to its starting point,
  2. the return of a thing to its perfection (the sense here), or,
  3. in diplomatic documents, the return of a governmental state to "normal conditions and stability" (the sense in Acts 1:6, "restore the kingdom to Israel").
If you are sick abed, but not that sick, you can continue on to Louw & Nida's semantic domains dictionary of the NT to find that the verb is used in Mk. 3:5 ("he stretched out his hand and it was restored" or "healed").

All these books should be found in your local seminary library reference section.

That, my dear Evensong, is how you get "restoration" from ἀποκαταστάσεως. (The bit about healing was welcomed news to me. Thank you.)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perspective is everything:
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:
Originally posted by Twangist:
"Spiritual attack" is often charismatic-ese for "bad luck".

"Bad luck" is often the Pagan-ese for "spiritual attack". [Smile]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

lilBuddha superbly encapsulates just who does and doesn't deserve the kind of support that underdogs tend to get:

quote:
You know, an underdog is someone in a difficult position through circumstances beyond there control. Not some who starts on level ground, then grabs a shovel and starts digging.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That should be carved in stone. [Overused]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the same thread where lilBuddha clarified the term "underdog" comes this gem about the word "literal":

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
There's:

literal
literal literal
literally literal
literal but not literal
woodenly literal
literal but not woodenly literal
not so much literal as literal
infallibly literal
literally infallible
literal but not infallible
inerrant but not infallible
literally inerrant but not literally infallible
infallibly literal but not inerrant
inherently literal
literal, where 'literal' means literal
alliterative
lateral
Lateran
Later
Late
La
La
La
I
Can't
Hear
You

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames on biblical innerancy

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
They still preach things like biblical inherency,

Is that the dogma that you should inherit a Bible rather than buy one for yourself?
No, no you're thinking of biblical inheritancy. Biblical inherency is the belief that whatever I believe is inherently present in the Bible (even if it's not obvious to anyone else) because my beliefs are inerrant and cannot be contradicted by the Bible.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This series of posts comes from the hell thread "Paintings Release Redemption." Eutychus' payoff line is worth the trip.

quote:
OK, I can't take it anymore-- can someone tell me what "releasing redemption" even means?

quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
Releasing things, like prophecy, "words"(or in this case redemption) is a charismatic affectation which is designed to lend importance to what they say and, of course, to themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
So, is it like the way a company releases a new version of software?

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
I seriously hope my redemption isn't in beta ...

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
What do you think Alpha courses are for?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gwai demonstrates her deep knowledge of board culture:

quote:
Is this the wrong time to point to studies which indicate people are generally not as intelligent as they presume? [Angel]

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
And if it is the right time, is it intelligent to tell people that one when of them is an admin?

(Besides, they're both easier to manage for the rest of us when they're deluded.)

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, posing the pertinent questions that we all think, but daren't ask.
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Indeed, there is an open question why, if the Church is a body, that body needs so many arseholes.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:
Indeed, there is an open question why, if the Church is a body, that body needs so many arseholes.

I can't claim credit for that one. It's one of my vicar's favourite sayings. We're thinking of having it on T-shirts to sell at Greenbelt this year, along with "Post Happy-Clappy"

[ 02. July 2014, 09:52: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:

I can't claim credit for that one. It's one of my vicar's favourite sayings.
Your vicar gets a [Overused] from me!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

A description of the Ship boards other than Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
...which implies that the rest of the boards are all conducted in the style of some kind of ghastly mediaeval pavane.

More like a tarantella at times, but most of the time something like a barn dance in the village hall, with competent dancers taking it seriously, others just participating for fun, gatecrashers coming and going, fights being dealt with by security, drunks trying to play the band's instruments, couples' spats (with or without tears), someone trying to spike the punch, and a steady stream of girls going to the toilets together.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

IngoB on dogpiling in Hell.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
You and the bloody underdog-defender are spectacularly bad at giving any kind of criterion for identifying this dogpiling other than 'the bits I don't like'.

FWIW, I have no particular attachment to underdogs, but I still consider the regular dog-piling in Hell to be (1) evident and (2) unhelpful.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The whole reason for asking you about this stuff is that I'm a Host, and I'm holding out the ever-so-faint hope that either of you have some meaningful food for thought here. You don't. You have a vague vibe that says that people heatedly expressing their opinion is absolutely fine until a number of people heatedly express the same opinion in agreement with each other.

You are confusing individual and group behaviour. Let us for the sake of argument assume that it is licit or even helpful for individual Shipmates to scream abuse at each other in Hell. It is then of course the case that by the usual principles of equal treatment for all, every single individual of say a group of twenty Shipmates is perfectly in their rights to scream abuse at one particular Shipmate, the one at the bottom of the dog pile. At least they certainly all can be within their rights, if they are genuinely outraged etc.

This however does not mean at all that there is no difference in the cumulative effect. Being shouted at by twenty just is different from being shouted at by one or two. And of course, you yourself have acknowledged that already. Except that you tried to construct a cumulative outcome that is somehow positive. Your claim was that because the person at the bottom of the dog pile sees very different people scream at them about the same thing, people that perhaps usually rather scream at each other, they will realise that the critique is justified. Consequently, they will reconsider their behaviour, reform themselves and the world will become a better place.

That is ... possible. It probably even has happened in the living memory of the present Shipmates. It is however not very likely at all. Other things are a lot more likely, and generally the outcomes are not positive. A lot of people will simply be intimidated by so much opposition. This may lead to them not showing up, or "flouncing" at the first opportunity, or issuing a fake apology just to get out. Any sort of real dialogue gets no chance there at all. Other people will think "the more, the merrier" and will produce sheer endless and enormously repetitive threads as they take on everybody in turn. Since it is near impossible to "peace out" so many people at once, this ends usually just in mindless exhaustion when really nobody can even bear turning to they latest post on page 15+. Other people feed on the aggressive emotions raised, and will attempt to derail any such thread into their favourite little corner of hate and abuse. The more people are screaming at each other, the easier it becomes to find a pivot point to turn the debate onto a tangent. Etc.

There are also other effects that one can consider good or bad (though I personally consider them mostly bad). For example, the sheer number of voices raised against someone can greatly encourage yet another person to join the chorus. It appears then, simply by virtue of numbers, to have become socially acceptable or even virtuous to attack this particular person. One could argue that this will help some timid people to genuinely express their anger. But frankly, I think it mostly just unleashes a kind of negative creativity: as the others are so nicely beating on that person, let me find some new angle where I can hit them as well. And as these things go, doing such things often creates its own justification, i.e., one convinces oneself that the nasty things one says are well deserved because if they weren't one surely would not have said them.

There is, in fact, very little value to adding more and more emotionally charged voices to a discussion. This generally adds little content (most of the contributions are of the type "damn right, and here's another example of how this person is bad in this way"), and simply pours on group pressure. Two people might find a way to negotiate their difficulties in a reasonable manner. It is however rather unlikely that anything resembling a fair process will happen between one person on one side, and a dozen on the other. The balance of power is just too uneven. There is a lot of relentless pressure on the single person, but almost none on the members of the group. They can always reassure each other that they are in the right, they have no real need to question their own role.

There is of course one final justification that can be given for the dog pile, and that is that it acts as a kind of purification mechanism. That is to say, while the process itself is rather obviously one-sided and unfair, at least in the long term it eliminates the worst offenders. Apart from the question whether the end can justify the means, experience however tells us otherwise. The worst offenders usually don't care about dog piles, in fact, it seems that some of them positively delight in getting yet another one on top of them. All attention is good attention...

<snip>

Anyway, if Evensong is indeed rather absurdly helping ever "underdog", regardless of their actual position, then this need not have anything to do with a crazy kind of egalitarian / anarchic approach to opinion. It can simply be considered as a kind of passive resistance to the systemic unfairness of Hell. You could argue that complaining about Hell is supposed to be done in Styx, not by messing with Hell. Well, that is officially the case. However, trying to change the Ship via posting in Styx is, shall we say, an uphill battle. Where the hill in question is Olympus Mons. Whereas the pretensions of Hell to be a kind of everything goes place make it rather easy to mess with it. So it would be entirely understandable if people who don't like the current Hell are trying to subvert it. Perhaps Evensong simply needs to be a bit more subtle about that...

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure that is really a pithy quote ....

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Doublethink - there's been some comment on that choice of quote in Hell where it originated

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoted for truth. (And because I found it amusing.)

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Jesus tossed tables, threw money all over the place and shouted whilst waving a whip of cords whilst cleansing the Temple. When pondering WWJD, it's comforting to know that this is within the realms of possibility.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016