homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 53)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og nods across the Circus ring from one game thread (football) to another:

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
I find myself being chaotically neutral about all this.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
Quoted for truth. (And because I found it amusing.)

The quotes thread is becoming the equivalent of the "Like" button on Facebook. No longer a collection of good quotes and quips, it's a way to reward people for posting things we agree with.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take it to the styx.

Doublethink
Circus Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite right; sorry.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Ariel in the "What are you wearing?" thread in Heaven:
quote:
Blue and white cotton floral print flared skirt tied with matching sash, indigo top, with cardigan of almost the same blue as the flowers on the skirt. Pearl drop earrings, white summer shoes.
to which Twilight replied:
quote:
Ariel, you dress exactly the way I've always pictured you. The strange thing is -- so does Welease Woderwick.
I'm now struggling with a vision of WW in a cotton floral skirt and pearl ear-rings ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was that fancy dress party in Manchester in 1980 something...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
God is kind to authors, and feeds them like the ravens in the desert with good things.

From the banqueting place that is "Difficult Relatives". [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Firenze, in the barbarous neologisms thread in heaven, using "problematic" as a noun:

And here we have the new XL600 Problematic with fully-adjustable rotary blades, improved suction, LED display, integral hostess trolley and a cruising speed of 70 mph.

ETA: as I said there, I think this is worthy of KenWritez. Maybe we should have an annual KenWritez award for his kind of cleverness.

[ 12. July 2014, 14:53: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief omits his own comment:
quote:
I much prefer integral hostess trolleys to derivative ones.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e in the "Choosing a Candidate for) Voluntary Euthanasia" thread in Hell:

"3 points, mostly already made.

In 20 years of ministry I have never known anyone suffer terribly. The morphine thing is just true.

I know this is the age we live in but the venality of some adult/children of elder folk astonishes me. I have heard them complain that being in a nursing home is "wasting" their inheritance. I have often heard conversations which would take only the lightest straw to reach, "it's best we let them go now, they have no quality of life."

Lastly thousands of people die at their own hands every year. Assisted suicide is a misnomer. If I was that desperate to go I would simply refuse food and water and be expected to be helped to be pain free.

It is the mark of a decadent culture that so many are so afraid and unfamiliar with dying and death that they attempt to make that some hallmark moment too. It is a mess, so is life . It is not the living or dying that matters it is how we live and die. Pray God with hope and a sense of adventure. Not mewling as our kids pump us full of shit so they can go to the Maldives or their inheritance to get over the trauma.

Ghouls.

Pyx_e"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly shares some of her personal life in the Styx:

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Lately all the big stuff happens when I'm in bed...

Well, it amused the inner teenager. [Two face]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ojalá*, as they say.

*Roughly, your mouth to God's ears.

[ 17. July 2014, 21:49: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this enchanting:

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Do you actually think that the Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity as God wanders into the Trinitarian kitchen, sees the First Person and says "Morning, Dad"?

Well, apart from the "kitchen" existing beyond all space and time (and thus perhaps not permitting wandering into or out of, since that implies both, though the image of a kitchen does perhaps suggest the concept of creation (we're like gingerbread people, you see)), and the Son eternally beholds and communicates with the Father in an endless realm of light (would that count as "morning" in a sense if it never begins nor ends?)...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Kelly shares some of her personal life in the Styx:

quote:
Lately all the big stuff happens when I'm in bed...

Well, it amused the inner teenager. [Two face]
Hmmmph. Not amusing if you are not invited.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shroedinger's Cat hits it on the head in the Musical Jokes thread in Heaven:
quote:
A bagpipe is a bag, filled with hot air, and making a droning noise.

As is Alex Salmond.

[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dafyd, over on 'Gay Sex- being and doing' in DH:
quote:
Originally posted by Starlight: Although I am still eager to hear all about why gay sex is bad
That's obvious. It leads to interior decorating. Interior decoration might involve graven images. Will nobody think of the children?!

[ 31. July 2014, 16:41: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab, over on 'Gay Sex- being and doing' in DH:
What I find so compelling about the arguments for an infallible Church is the tender compassion and sheer, transcendent, grace with which they are invariably expressed. While my reason makes me hesitate, my heart cannot but feel that the fortunate adherents of these sects do have access to a fullness of the gospel that is denied to me.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

lilBuddha, capturing a certain attitude toward women (which she assuredly doesn't share):

quote:
Woman, cleave to your man. The clitoris doesn't make babies.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie's excellent explanation of why we have diseases:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
God created the conditions for total freedom, so that we can have total freedom to choose. We could not love Him without that and He did all this for Love imo. Horrible those bacteria and viruses are to us, they are necessary to a system which works the way it does - freedom to evolve.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An wondrous demolition of some fundie clap-trap about 'gays'

posted by lilBuddha
quote:
That contains so many levels of stupid it is hard to know where to start.
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably breaking a rule, but this exchange on the Famous Last Posts thread.

Hedgehog
Does the bible have...Oscar the Grouch

I believe he is in Paul's First Letter to the Sesamestreetians.

Oscar the Grouch
Is that the epistle that ends "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the grumpiness of the Holy Bigot be with you"?

Hedgehog
If you are thinking of the one with The Count in the background shouting "One! One member of the Holy Trinity! Two! Two members of the Holy Trinity...", then yes, that's the one.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the reasons why it might be a good idea for Hosts and Admins to leave outrageous posts as they stand on the Ship:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
"By their fruits ye shall know them" and all that, right? Sometimes you let them be known as kinda fruity.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Nicely put.

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
[B]ecause the speaker is a Christian it would be terminally naive to assume that his or her pronouncements were the outworking of Holy Charity. Equally, just because someone claims to be a rationalist it does not follow that their view are necessarily rational.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And he strikes again:

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Courage, Grasshopper, lies in learning not to wet one's bed. Blaming the Islamists for making your Action Man pyjamas smell of wee is not an adequate substitute.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
One shouldn't anthropomorphise objects. They don't like it.

I love how Firenze thinks! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaf on the "Flags" thread in Ecclesiantics:

quote:
God hates flags.
[Overused]

[ 08. September 2014, 01:44: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch on why church numbers are down:

We have spent too much time in my lifetime watering down the faith. To make it acceptable to people who aren't interested, too many of our public representatives remove any reason why anyone might get any impression they need bother anyway.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bumping for Wood!

Context? We don't need no stinkin' context.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fr. Weber reflects on mass produced individually packaged communion kits:

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
Just the thing when you need a little Snackrament.

[Disappointed] People, people, people. That sat there for four days!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Textual commentary, very important.

DT
Circstyx Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clever quotes from Shipmates? Go to Hell.

Trudy Scrumptious
Increasingly Arbitrary Kerygmania Host

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
…the fuck?

Yeah, eff this. Not here. Can we call this "Ship community building" and drop kick it to somewhere in the next time zone, like All Saints?

*drop*

*BOOM!*

—Ariston, Hellhost

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where haven't we been? * know - those folk in Eccles could do with a few witty remarks that don't come our of aBig Black Book on a stand.

Firenze
All Heavaints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd better be biblically-focused.

SPK, Eccles Ruling Elder Pro Tem

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a single biblically-focused quote. Apparently you need more study.

Off you go to Kerygmania.

SPK, Greater Breadcrumb

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ermmmm.... So then...
quote:
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was without shape and empty, and darkness was over the surface of the watery deep, but the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the water. God said...

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, we probably do now need some context.
The last few posts are brought to you by thread ping pong and a Host and Admin day where the ship reality deviates even further from our own.

Oh. And a quote.

quote:
Bring me that horizon.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc practices his corporate group-speak:
quote:
Just for fun, I tried this out. At one of the group sessions, I ended up saying stuff like "We need to subjectivize the project variables, using the kitchen for more than just preparing a meal, but without too many baroque ornaments" and they loved it! During the break, various people complimented me on my input
Wonderful!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chive has the awesomest claim to fame ever:

quote:
[Ian] Paisley once came to the church I was a member off when he was on holiday. I must have been about 15. As he was leaving he said, 'In my church we don't use the NIV.' When I replied, 'In my church we don't support sectarianism and terrorism' he stormed off.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the thread ‘Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment’ in Purgatory.

Originally posted by Evensong
quote:
So I've been trying to figure out what the heck the cat experiment means.

I have been told by a number of people it proves the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics. (see below). Then I came across this article.
quote:

The Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics essentially states that an object in a physical system can simultaneously exist in all possible configurations, but observing the system forces the system to collapse and forces the object into just one of those possible states. Schrödinger disagreed with this interpretation.

Schrodinger ( in this article) apparently disagrees with this interpretation:
quote:

because it is impossible for an organism to be simultaneously alive and dead. Thus, he reasoned that the Copenhagen Interpretation must be inherently flawed.

So which is it? Does it prove or disprove the Copenhagen interpretation (for larger objects)?

To which balaam replied
quote:
It does both at the same time.

I'll get me coat.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Neener, neener. I got here first.

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road, in the usual furor that follows H & A Days:

Votes in the Styx for whether Shipmates should be planked. No wait, no planking without prior recourse. Therefore, trials with witnesses and consulting council so that the accused can properly defend themselves before being planked. Debates about whether the proper criterion is whether the accused could have, should have, or did know that they were posting like a jerk.

A proper constitutional committee to review whether we want to be governed by the 10 Commandments or not, to be reconvened every 6 months to take account of the views of newcomers who are otherwise forced into servitude to the despotism of those who have come before them.

Proper anonymous voting for proposals for new boards. Votes on the proper procedures for anonymous voting. Who gets to vote? Is campaigning allowed on the day of the vote? Committees formed to settle these questions. Threads in the Styx complaining that the committees are formed of an in-crowd.

Votes for the appointment of Hosts and Admins (or is this like voting for judges: seems like a good application of democracy, but turns out to be a really crap idea?). Recall elections whenever a Host or Admin does something unpopular.

Investigation of whether the idea of having Hosts and Admins at all is too in-crowd and anti-democratic. Constitutional committee to investigate running the Ship as a collective.

H&A Days to be put to a vote prior. Endless threads in the Styx about how "I didn't know an H&A Day vote was coming up." Timing of votes for H&A Days to be put to a vote prior. Endless threads in the Styx about how "I didn't know an H&A Day Vote Timing vote was coming up." Timing of Votes for Timing of Votes for H&A Days to be put to a vote prior. Threads in the Styx...

Ship ceases to need to appeal for financial support, as Simon discovers that the threads in the Styx are running a perpetual motion machine. Day of celebration declared. Threads in the Styx about how the day of celebration interfered with the normal running of the boards. Perpetual motion machine runs amok.

Careful policing of anarchy so it doesn't offend anyone. Creation of Despotic Anarchy board so that those who like Despotic Anarchy can do it whenever they like without bothering anyone else. Accusations that the Despotic Anarchy board is the haven of the most in of in-crowds, and people who might like a spot of anarchy feel intimidated from joining in.

There's so much that could be improved about the Ship.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, Lamb Chopped has been telling us stories of the trouble that pets can cause, with this latest entry being both succinct and vivid:

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Great. One parakeet is mocking us by imitating a human snore.

We will now fight about whose snore it is.

[ 23. September 2014, 02:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In the smelt of contention, brilliance is forged:

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Think of H&A Day as a sacrament instituted the first time by Simon through the alligator in whom he had invested his power, which has been handed over through her ordained sucessors, and through which he still works our salvation. We don't need to understand all of it, parts of it may even seem to be undemocratic or —gasp— immoral to us, but in the end it will all work out to our best.

If it turns out that Simon's vision for SoF has been to mould hanky-wringing liberals into a spitting image of the RCC, with conservatives waging guerrilla warfare of enlightened laissez-faire against it, then I for one don't care whether this is a prank or a work of art, evil or good. It would be so unspeakably epic, a breathtaking tour de force in social manipulation, irony so deep that it would form a wormhole right into the Holy of Holies, with God saying "peek-a-boo".

Or it's just a bloody bulletin board and people are just being people.

Heck, that's as good a definition of Unrest as any, come to think of it.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A joint effort between Marvin and Kelly:

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
This thread is starting to read like a Brae version of " we didn't start the fire."

Rab C Nesbitt, Irn Bru, Robbie Burns and Lulu
Robert Stirling, James Watt, horrid bagpipes scream.
Braveheart, Duncan Smith, Blair and Brown, James the Sixth,
Beige porridge, single malt, Alastair MacLean.

Deep fryed mars bars are a thing, midgie bites really sting,
Carol Smilie, cast steel, Ronnie Corbett, Falkirk Wheel.
Porridge cooling in the sinks, playing golf upon the links,
Susan Boyle - North Sea Oil - Arthur Fucking Conan Doyle!

We didn't start the fire...

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
It's hardly our fault that the current ideal of female beauty is a kind of stick figure with a couple of melons bolted to her chest. Blame Barbie, if it makes you feel better.

This quote came from a serious and illuminating discussion about artificial boobs but it did, nevertheless, have a real SoF Quote file feel to it.

Thankyou Jane R

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hart takes the already weird Christian Harry Potter parody to a whole new level.
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Dear ProudHouseMom,

Thankyou so much for the great favor you are doing to our family. My son Jimmy started to read the "original books" (as you put it), but I had to stop him. He's been so pleased to now be able to read your version, and I'm so pleased he's reading again!

May I make a request? In the books, the boys spend a lot of time playing with their wands. When Jimmy started following their lead, I knew it was time to take them away from him. I'm pleased to see there isn't any of that in your story, but there's also nothing explicitly telling him its wrong. Could you include this? I know he pays attention to the lessons in your book. Just the other day I asked him to help me by putting the brownies I was making in the oven. He looked nervous and said, "I don't want to be disobedient, mother dearest, but that's something Harry's Uncle did. I'm not sure if I should." I've never been prouder of him.

Blessings!

FanMom. xxox.

(Hart, get someone else to consume the remnant for a week or two, 'K? [Biased] )

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sandemaniac-- [Yipee] I totally missed that!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Doublethink gives very wise advice on developing a specific sexual technique:

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Surely, you just point the aspirant at half a pomegranate and tell them to eat it without using their teeth ?

If you can't figure it out, I won't tell you.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice. I'm using that suggestion in the future.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Get your copy-paste fingers ready, folks, the "offend" thread is heating up:

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Your level of knowledge is truly remarkable, I am sure you have forgotten more than you ever knew.
For those who have declaimed "He ain't good for nothing", I have corrected them and said that you are.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016