homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 54)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Doublethink gives very wise advice on developing a specific sexual technique:

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Surely, you just point the aspirant at half a pomegranate and tell them to eat it without using their teeth ?

If you can't figure it out, I won't tell you.
Do make sure the pomegranate is the right way round [Smile]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nicely turned insult.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:
Originally posted by a shipmate who apparently runs a bakery:
Doesn't mean I think every bakery should be forced to bake cakes in the shape of a penis. In fact, I'm pretty sure forcing one of my employees to do that against their will would constitute sexual harassment.
Has anyone tried to force you to make such a cake? Your customers should acknowledge your expertise and ask for cakes that look like a straw man.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Mousethief, on Justinian dishes it out but he can't take it:

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian (to Dark Knight):
You know a little about logic <snip>

Well, that's one of you.
Made me have a coffee-nose incident.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This surely deserves a place, from the "Isaiah 7:11" thread in Keryg:

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
So, you would accept "Go see Big Mama, she'll give you a sign" as a valid translation?

Depends. Does it come with a blues accompaniment?
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Ahaz was down, he was feeling really blue,
Yeah, Ahaz was down, felling really blue.
Then enemy was all around, there was nothing, no thing he could do.

The prophet came to Ahaz, he said he had a word,
Listen to what he says, listen, yeah listen to the Lord.
"Go down to see Big Mama when you're feeling blue,
Go down to see Big Mama that's what you've gotta do.
Big Mama'll show you a sign, and then you'll feel just fine"

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S on government control of information, etc:

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

It doesn't matter what us Morlocks think, and we don't even have the Morlocks' sanction over the lizard class. They do anything that enters their tiny minds, and claim the mystical mandate even if they did not have a majority in the election, and never mentioned it in the manifesto.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Fantastic catch, Stejie)

In Other News-- Hell is Determined Not To Be Run on Passion, but Procrastination:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Why are you so exercised about this, orfeo?

It's either this or doing the ironing.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the intrepid Gaming Party brainstorms ways to open a locked, booby-trapped door, The GM gently interjects:

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
The smoking slightly oozy body of one of your companions lies at your feet. I assume the total silence is because you are all in shock ?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And in Ecclesiantics, it's all about the great clergical war stories:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
All Glory laud, etc' reminds me of the gadget-happy old curmudgeon/f*rt RC priest in my former city:
Palm Sunday. His first opportunity to use his new radio mike. Blessing of Palms was in school hall, procession across parking lot to church. My friend the organist waiting to start the hymn when the procession entered the church (IIRC). Fr. was 'having a wonderful day,' chatting to his deacon as the trotted along, to wit:

'My God, these new red vestments are gorgeous! Wonder what those Baptists across the street think of all this, bet they'll just sh*t!'

All of this booming into the ears of the faithful waiting in the nave. My friend said that he never kicked on full organ so fast in his life. [Yipee]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Circus, Sioni Sais manages to sum up many awards in nearly any sport:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The 'Manager of the Year' award is well deserved, but not within a single club. It's about as good for a football club as the Year of the Four Emperors was for Rome.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddah with a new take on evolution:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
We are not descended from apes, but magpies. We see something new and nick the shiny bit without regard to what it does.
The important thing is that it is new.
And because that's what culture is. a syncretic structure. That is the nature of us.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad you nabbed that, balaam. I had thought of doing so myself. Excellent image.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan on US politics:

quote:
It's just as well we Brits don't get the vote. Based on the OP, the Democrats are putting up Mrs Clinton, Carcetti from The Wire or the bloke who ripped off one of Neil Kinnock's speeches when running for President. So I think it's a toss up between Mrs Clinton and a write in campaign for Omar.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze:
quote:
As an atheist pagan hedonist, I will happily join the festivities of any god, prophet, guru, sage, emanation or ascended master you happen to have - seeing them not so much as aspects of the divine, but of humanity.

Except possibly for Bank Holidays: I draw the line at celebrating bankers.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB hits the bullseye :

quote:
This pretends that if only human interactions were as they should be then this universe would turn into a paradise. This is naive to the point of being nonsensical. You can be the nicest person in the world, and still be eaten up by cancer or a lion. Death (and illness, and pain, and disability, and ...) may lose its sting - but not in this world, where it is the law as punishment for Adam's sin. And most other human conflicts can be traced to that other annoying feature of this world, namely that it gives us little without sweat, blood and tears. The world does not bend to human wishes naturally, it has to be bent to them, and in the process often ends up broken. But more significantly for our purposes here, this endless struggle to eek out an existence is the most fundamental driver of human conflict. The rat race that leaves the weak and the poor perish on the sidelines isn't just an evil human invention. It is a direct result of humans trying to cope with an indifferent or even hostile world, where some are more successful at dealing with this by making it more of a problem for others. This, too, is a punishment for Adam's sin. The dominion over this world is given to the devil, it is not a friendly place that is just waiting for us to come to our senses, whereupon all will be a global love fest. Christian life in this world is an over and against, it is sacrifice in order to foreshadow an other-wordly ideal. We are not trying to harmonise with nature, because it really is a dog-eat-dog world out there. Capitalism is much more "natural" than Christianity. And yes, we do find the remnants of human goodness in ourselves, and we enjoy the remnants of the beauty and harmony of nature. Still, we are ruins struggling in a universal ruin, and it is only by grace and sacrifice that we regain some of the wholesomeness that ought to be there.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I very strongly believe there is no god and no supernatural anything, yet I really love Christmas, with full churchy trimmings. I love and admire and appreciate much religious music, art, buildings and indeed many religious practices. The idea of God is plainly silly guff to me, but the cultural heritage of religion is often beautiful, inspiring and profoundly uplifting to me. And I really enjoy the way some Christian people sometimes actually practice their religious philosophy, especially with regard to kindness and charity. For this atheist, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Christ, even though He obviously doesn’t exist.

Merry Christmas Yorick and may my heart grow 2 sizes.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha about a Person Who Shall Remain Nameless:
Factual claims?! Doc Tor gave you this link but you jumped away to another topic.
Prat on a hot tin roof.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll waive anonymity. After a weakass start, that's some mighty smooth flyting. [Overused]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Truth is Beauty:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The search tool imbedded in the Ship's software sucks so much it has an event horizon.

--------------------

Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mousethief, in the Remove a Letter game thread:

Liver!

Please, sir, says the orphan boy, may I not have any more? This stuff tastes like sh*t.

Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Great Books" thread in Heaven, Snags gives us a lesson in LitCrit.

I know I'm going to get shouted down as a philistine, but the biggest load of old bollox I was ever compelled to (mostly) read was Ulysses (James Joyce).

It's weird, it's exactly the kind of self-indulgent literary game-playing experimental wank that I ought to love. But ... no.

I was actually glad when the cat pissed on it and I had to throw it away.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab, channelling Arnold Schwarzenegger on "What historical information could make you lose faith?"
quote:
I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical substitute last year. I haven't noticed much of a shift in personality towards the unemotionless megalomanical killer cyborg end of the scale. Which I confess comes as something of a disappointment.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam. explains one of the deeper mysteries of the faith:

quote:
Not being embodied, angels have no gender. Their names are grammatically masculine (as is the word 'angel' in both Hebrew and Greek), but that doesn't mean they are.

The difference between angels and fairies is not gender but existence.

By the way, there's an ageless boy in a green tunic here who wants a word with you about his friend who's just dropped dead.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welease Woderwick's comment makes perfect sense to me:

I must lose weight before Christmas so I can put it all back on again.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In response to somebody's post which particularly called for this response:

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Gnosticism is dead and well.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Kelly continues her endless quest for the Shippiest Quote Ever: :
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... your liturgical arse! ...

Oh great. Now I have a grotesque image stuck in my head of spending the next three weeks with a purple arse.
Shouldn't it be rose for the third Sunday?

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves describing a place too many people I know have been:

quote:
It's like the universe was irritated that I was considering hope.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Using quotation marks to dehumanize is evil...but the end of this condemnation TH makes me think Kurt Vonnegut wasn't quite right when he said that the only purpose of that odd key on the home row is to show you've been to college...

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
If I'd have known fucking punctuation could erase people so easily I'd have learned how to use the bloody semicolon years ago.

[ 07. December 2014, 02:38: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab, squashing leo, suggests the "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Ultimate Question) doctrine of Biblical inspiration:
quote:
Matthew didn't write his gospel by pulling letters out of a scrabble bag

[ 07. December 2014, 21:46: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus, on the subject of a 'male headship' bishop:

quote:
One is familiar with the old 'better inside pissing out than outside pissing in' argument: but this is about keeping people inside so that they can keep pissing in.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Eliab, squashing leo, suggests the "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Ultimate Question) doctrine of Biblical inspiration:
quote:
Matthew didn't write his gospel by pulling letters out of a scrabble bag

Couldn't have. Not nearly enough iotas.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
I think the organist worships Bach.

Karl Liberal Backslider: We all do. There's a footnote to the First Commandment allowing it.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB replies to SusanDoris on the 'we don't sing anymore' thread in Purg:

quote:Originally posted by SusanDoris:
All the way home I was singing [Hark, the Herald Angels sing] in my head, but taking each line and looking at it from a scientific point of view!

Nope, you did not do that at all.

What you may have done is to look at each line from the particular philosophical point of view that you hold, which - judging by prior conversation - is some kind of naive metaphysical naturalism that informs the contemporary atheism which you so cheerfully believe in.

And what this could have made you think about is that maybe, just maybe, the inability of your philosophy to write songs that make your heart sing points to a problem with your philosophy. But admittedly that would require a somewhat wider view of "evidence" than just "empirical data suitable for mathematical modelling".

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gwai quietly drops a gem of brilliance on a raging Hell thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
One problem with a hell thread that is ostensibly between two people is that it encourages the assumption that one of the parties is right.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, describing offerings of festive fare in places like banks, railway stations etc.:
quote:
Outbreaks of mince piety
[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tortuf on the 'Stop staying pure' thread in Purg;

quote:
Isn't it interesting that religious references to virgins all seem to concern women instead of women and men?

No?

Maybe not.

After all that is the way God wants it to be. Virgin women having only in a lust-less act of procreation after marriage.

Wait a minute. God wants women to have sex with their husbands whenever the husband wants.

Nope. God wants men to have several wives - just in case the rocky shores of one of their wombs will not allow purchase for the mans holy seed.

As long as all these things are what God wants it's all good. It could have something to do with men writing religious texts and perhaps - I dunno - projecting their desires into their own special vision of God.

Or, maybe - just maybe - God wants us to quit judging others and leave that to God so that we pay attention to our relationship with God instead.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by venbede on the "stop staying pure" thread:
As a gay man, I find it very encouraging that Christ was born without heterosexual being involved.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If 'Not having a capital-T Tradition' is not itself a capital-T Tradition, I'd like to know what the heck is.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
North East Quine has the right attitude to calorie calculation in the "anti-Christmas-food" thread in Heaven:
quote:
Tesco reduced Yule logs from £6 to 30p. By my calculation, that means proportionally, the calories come down from 2780 to 139.
If only she were right ... [Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The legend that is Kelly Alves on the "difficult relatives" Hell thread:

quote:
Well, he does have the right to express an opinion, in the same way an asshole has the right to express a fart. It's just that both resulting outputs are of equivalent worth.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gee whiz. [Tear]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

On a tangential post within the Venezuela vs Saudi Arabia thread in Purgatory, Try has successfully analysed the Middle East problem in one short sentence:

"Israel's Arab citizens have equal rights with Jewish Israelis, though they suffer a good deal of economic and social discrimination."

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Rev. per Minute takes things to heart in the "Revspeak" thread in Heaven:
quote:
... However, as both a Rev and a civil servant, it may just be possible that I have on occasion and when faced with a situation of perhaps less than optimal confidence been heard by those of especially precise auditory skills to have used one or two of the above-mentioned circumlocutions in preference to a more precise and one might say straightforward comment that might be thought to lead more quickly to a full and total comprehension of the situation pertaining at that moment in time ...
[Overused]

Is he/she possibly Sir Humphrey Appleby from Yes, Minister in Real Life?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know - was Sir Humphrey a closet cleric?

We need to be told!

[ 12. January 2015, 14:13: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't know - was Sir Humphrey a closet cleric?

An Archdeacon, no less.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] Not, I think, that anybody could ever accuse Dr Grantly of circumlocution: blunt rudeness, if anything!

[ 12. January 2015, 15:58: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember how Simon McBurney rose to Archdeacon in "Rev." having been choirmaster at Dibley.

Is there such a thing as an "Archdeacon Choral"?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not that I know of, but I think there should be, and it should probably be my Better Half. [Big Grin]

I don't know about anyone else, but when I read RPM's post quoted above, I was hearing it in Sir Humphrey's voice.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A snappy intro would spoil this one:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
If Erin's scale is like the Richter scale, then it is log10, but normed to some "background" activity. Consequently, 0 would mean "not registered above background", but 1 would already be 10 times stronger than "background".

Mathematically, for A and A0 real and positive

0=log_10(1)=log_10(A/A0) => 1=A/A0 => A=A0
1=log_10(10)=log_10(A/A0) => 10=A/A0 => A=10*A0

rather than Mertseger's "joke" which stops short at

0=log_b(1) for any base b (other than b=0, b=10 above).

You are welcome. [Razz]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Couldn't you have hauled him up for not writing in English? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Statler and Waldorf:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The Muppetts were on TV over Xmas.

Yes - the Muppet Christmas Carol, saw part of this for the first time. Some good lines, but I did feel the whole thing would have been a lot better without the Muppets.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016