homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 55)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus, on the "Justin Welby and clap-trap sermons" thread in Purgatory, responds to the suggestion that a sermon ought to be like a good buffet:
quote:
...rather than like a bad bring and share supper, composed of various bits and pieces, some good and some not, thrown together with minimal planning and concern for proportion but justified by those who like that sort of thing on the grounds that people meant well.
I don't know whether to say "That's beautiful" or "Ouch". Both apply.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Perhaps I should say that I went to something with a bring-and-share meal yesterday, and it was excellent [Smile] Sermon was pretty good too.).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D gets his information straight from the source:

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I'm just wondering what Wilfrid and Hilda said when they were asked to act as patrons. Or whether they would have agreed on the subject, in life.

Strange that you should ask. I was chatting to St Hilda the other day - she's patron of a school I have a vague association with and need her views from time to time. She told me that neither she or St Wilfrid was asked. Her comment was that she had spent her lifetime promoting reconciliation, indeed giving up her opinions on such matters as the date of Easter and matters of church governance to ensure unity. She was Not Pleased about the invocation. Apparently St Wilfrid was of a similar mind and while she preferred not to use his exact words, he had put his position very strongly.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus half man half biscuit Martin60.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for drawing my attention to that, Chorister, though a few of us here might prefer it capitalised!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if I can summarise this well in one paragraph (and that it won't spoil the joke doing so), but this is so cool that I'll try anyway. There is a Hell thread where people are attacking IngoB's posting style. Chesterbolloc is arguing that we shouldn't complain, but have better argumets against him instead. An unfortunate double entendre, combined with Leaf's excellent use of the specific date on which this happened resulted in this:

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbolloc: get better fucking positions
Excellent advice. Happy Valentine's Day! [Axe murder]
Simply brilliant.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely agreed-- that won the thread. [Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope that the misspelling of CB's name does not indicate an editorial opinion!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teufelchen, on the "Kristallnacht 2.0" thread:

Do you disengage your moral sense freshly each morning, or did you take it out long ago and leave it somewhere?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nigel M on Mark's tendency to use, er, forceful language:

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
Mark's use of language is certainly relevant and he may simply be a man of action: “I will immediately slam myself down and cast out a Gospel and sprint with it to the church and wring extreme convictions out of people so that they rush into Jesus' arms by the Spirit's urgent power rather than mine I will have an urgent need to rush off I won't have time to completely finish the sermon for”

I especially love the missing ending.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this exchange about the meaning of the word 'sod' in British English, on the crappy choruses and horrible hymns thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
...The use of ... sodding as an all purpose alternative to fucking...

That's pretty much what the French accuse us of, isn't it?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another by Leaf, on the Teufelchen Hell call:

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
... after you've done that, you can go to your prayer corner and say your prayers.

Only Josephine can manage to sound like Reverend Mother and Clint Eastwood at the same time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I missed church on Ash Wednesday because of a snow storm. I missed church last Sunday because of another snow storm.... An ice storm is predicted for tomorrow.

It appears that I am involuntarily giving up church for Lent.

Moo

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Middle-class white female professors have goon squads made up of grad students living on ramen noodle packs and speed.

Dang, that does it. I have GOT to make tenure.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo, flying because he takes himself lightly*, on the "Our Galaxy" thread in Purg:

quote:
And Christ in shining white robes solemnly takes a seat before assembled mankind. He raises his arms and speaks:

"Welcome to the Great Judgement."

(dramatic pause)

"The universalist were right. This concludes the Great Judgement."

(stunned silence)

Suddenly a strange noise rises from somewhere in the billionth row of the multitude.

lolololololoLOLOLOLOLOLwheeeeeeeeeeBAM

(spacetime shakes as IngoB in his resurrection body speeds off at warp 20)

St Peter eagerly bounds toward Christ:

"Should I bring him back, O Lord?"

Christ looks St Peter up and down:

"Sure, Cephas. Fetch."

yourwordismycommandwheeeeeeeeeeBAM

(spacetime reverberates once more as St Peter hits warp speed)

Christ grins, places His hands on his forehead and makes a ripping motion. The world twists like a vortex around his head and suddenly everybody looks down on the galactic plane, and zooms in on the immense sea of stars in one galactic arm, and focuses to see....

... a spark hurtling towards a star, slamming through it, rushing towards the next star, while the first star begins to blow up into a supernova, leaving a trail of gigantic explosions ...

... wheeeeeeeeeeeee ...

... and then another spark in angry pursuit, dodging and weaving around the supernova explosions ...

Suddenly the view collapses into itself and there's just Christ again, with his hands closed to fists, slowly lowering his arms.

He grins again.

"In my Father's house are many mansions."

He looks expectantly. Nothing happens. Christ sighs.

"You can go now. ...uhh... At ease. ... hmm ... Have fun?!"

Rumblings as the multitude disperses to do all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. One can hear Christ's voice over the din fading into the distance:

"Yes, I would love to have some tea with you. What's tea?"

*"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."--Chesterton?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus hits the spot in Eccles:
quote:
There are few sights more alarming than a congregation of 80-year-olds interrupting BCP Holy Communion to wave their hands in the air for a couple of choruses of "Shine, Jesus, Shine".
Yea and amen. [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elegantly put:

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
We all live between our sins and our ideals.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macrina turns the tables in a Dead Horse discussion:

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I have no problem with people BEING Republican - I mean there's evidence that conservatism is actually down to structural aspects of the brain so we can't judge them for that. I just think its wrong to act on it. Have you seen the disgusting things they do? Legislating against the poor and vulnerable, taking away healthcare, putting money before people? Any decent society can't function when people are allowed to act on their Republicanism - it destroys the social fabric.

So I love Republicans as people, I just want to bring them to the fullness of truth so they realise the damage their lifestyle does to them and those they love. I hold them to the same standards as any Democrat. We have exactly the same obligations be we Republican or Democrat after all and we know that Biblically Jesus condemned Republicanism so we can't support it being promoted using our tax dollars or taught to our children.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came to see if someone had already quotes-filed that [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A piece of subtle beauty from Alan Cresswell
quote:
I've no problem with allowing religions to descriminate, providing it doesn't affect other people.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan on the UK Election 2015 thread in Purgatory, perfectly nailing what Mr Cameron is about:

quote:
Dave isn't stupid but he has no idea what he wants power for and no settled political beliefs beyond a vague conception that the luckiest boys should have the jolliest time, tempered by an even vaguer sense of noblesse oblige.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB from the "Introducing me....." thread. A little bit of Heaven in Purgatory. Superb.

"Look into a mirror. Hold your own gaze.

You stare into the mirror, matter is staring back. What makes you be on the right side of the looking glass?

Breathe.

Way. Truth. Life. You like Way. I like Truth. We share Life. Don't knock what the other has, it's a Trinity."

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fabulous capper by Stetson that requires a bunch of backstory to "get." This is on the "What if they hadn't?" thread, where people post hypothetical "alternate history" changes to popular songs.

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
What if the shop only had blue ribbons for tying round the old oak tree?

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Or what if the old oak tree had succumbed to a storm?

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Would the whole damn bus be murmuring with disappointment?

quote:
What if she never received the letter telling her he'd soon be free?

quote:
What if everyone else on the damn bus had fallen asleep?

quote:
Or if they had been disinclined to listen to the stories of someone who introduces himself with "I just got out of jail..."?

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
What if the bus lost its brakes and careened into the old oak tree, igniting a horrific inferno in which all the passengers died while the lovelorn girlfriend looked on helplessly?

quote:
The girlfriend would head back into her apartment and knock three times on the ceiling.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
IngoB from the "Introducing me....." thread. A little bit of Heaven in Purgatory. Superb.

"Look into a mirror. Hold your own gaze.

You stare into the mirror, matter is staring back. What makes you be on the right side of the looking glass?

Breathe.

Way. Truth. Life. You like Way. I like Truth. We share Life. Don't knock what the other has, it's a Trinity."

Nice catch.
[Cool]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le Roc (in Purgatory) has it in a nutshell:

'Having a relationship with God' isn't really part of the theological language of my tradition.

But setting that aside for a moment, I often think that one important way we can have a relationship with Him is by having a relationship with our neighbour. Jesus may have said as much.

--------------------

Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Cresswell in hell

I think it's part of a general fear of Schrodingers Immigrants - those who are simultaneously idle layabouts scrounging off our welfare state and stealing our jobs.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I would also suggest that many so-called non-denominational churches are also far more denominational than the denominations.

Especially those who proudly say that they abhor denominations, and then mix only with those who share their precise form of antidenominational denominationalism.

(Baptist Trainfan)

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight, on the Readme book thread:

quote:
We all loved that it was set in Australia. From a literary standpoint many of us hadn't been there since "The Thorn Birds." It's changed a lot. [Biased]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nigel M, in Kerygmania, reflects on creation themes in the Gospel According to John:

quote:
Anyway, there's God, just done with creation and putting his feet up to have a nice cup of tea, when the front door bangs open and in comes his kid, Jesus, back from college - “Hi Dad, I'm home!” and of course he has all his clothes washing to be done and – what's that? What on earth has he done with his hands????

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam on the „Name for the Royal baby“ thread:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
The sheer number and range of weird names and weirder spellings currently encountered in job applicants I'm reviewing makes me wonder at allowing moms still possibly under the influence of medication from childbirth any voice at all in selecting names for their offspring.

You have met someone called Ow?
Sorry, that one would have been no medication.

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Dafyd pinpoints human nature in a brief aside:

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Furthermore, I think the subject on which anyone is most likely to be in error is the amount of humility and empathy they are exercising on any given occasion.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved this:

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Seems to me perfectly obvious that God is rewarding Mr Cameron for bringing in gay marriage.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the same thread, I quite liked:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
There is a theological term for the sentiments expressed in the link in the OP - bollocks.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well neither of you picked my own favourite from that thread which was option 3 from this:

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Here in the US we have not one, nor two or three, but four presidential candidates as of this writing who have been assured by God that they are supposed to be President of the United States. (Stay tuned, I am sure we will get a few more in there.)
Logically they either
1). worship entirely different Gods
2). aren't listening to God accurately, or
3). (which I personally favor) God is jerking their chain. This is by no means, for instance, the first time that God has assured Mike Huckabee that he is to be president. One envisions the Deity like Lucy, holding the football for Charlie Brown. How many times will Huckabee fall for this? We shall see.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Group effort, otherwise known as a ridiculous tangent with a high WTF factor:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

lilBuddha, I totally heard your frustration and reasoning.

I acknowledged this.
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

It's just that it's stupid and lame, and in a prehistoric hunter-gathering community you would be left behind to distract the smilodons.

Oh you chest-thumpers are sooo cute. Right up until you get eaten.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
And those who fight the mighty smildoolywhatevers and live to tell the tale are lauded in story and song, while the clever ones who got away quietly mow their perfect lawns.

Until they get eaten.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
They had lawn mowers in the Pleistocene? Jings.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
The ones in the suburbs did. Jeez, do I have to draw a picture?

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
They had lawn mowers in the Pleistocene? Jings.

Yes, better known as the stegosaurus. Like many lawn mowers they were awkward, heavy and difficult to push, but once they got going they did a pretty good job on grass and even hedges. Of course, you can't get them these days.
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
They were also rather tricky to obtain in the Pleistocene as well. The captive breeding programme that had managed to maintain a steady supply of stegosaurus lawn-mowers since the end of the Jurassic period 150 million years early was finally struggling to maintain the viability of this product line. Increasing competition from new products such as the megatherium eventually drove the stegosaurus breeders out of business.

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:[regarding the last]
It was actually worth reading this thread for this.

[ 17. May 2015, 02:33: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

From a thread about intercessory prayer, on the question (roughly) of "keeping track" of whom you're praying for:

quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
You can't embrace the machine/computer metaphor for the human soul and then look down on the idea of making lists.

Wisdom! Let us attend!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Alan Cresswell must be on a roll. From him in the Styx: You seem to be misunderstanding the nature of the Styx. The Styx is closer to a tennis court than a court of law, a place for people to declare "You cannot be serious!".

The analogy has set off some wonderful pictures in my mind.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(in reference to a certain denomination's approach to a Dead Horse issue)

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A bit of fudge is good. A diet entirely of fudge is unhealthy.

[ 28. May 2015, 13:19: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly has some problems with Things Admin:

quote:
Mother frugging son of a pencil dicked bobcat.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This is definitely a must- file:
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Our society needs to have some very deep and difficult conversations about violence of this sort, and I'm not sure how many people are willing to engage in conversations that will lead to changes not more political polarization.

And there are many variables, guns, racism, and others. For example, I heard David Brooks (a New York Times columnist) mention on PBS that the US has an "alienated, lone young man" problem. Instead of thinking that these sorts of murders are not society's problem because they are the work of a lone person, we need to ask ourselves what causes such alienation.

Unpacking all of the things that lead to repeated situations of mass murders will take us places we don't want to go and will force ourselves to look at the idealized glow we put upon our narrative of who we are.

People in power have no incentive to start the conversation because it may well lead to a loss of power for them.

As long as we operate on a "what's best for me alone" philosophy, there will be no incentive to start the conversation.

As long as political operatives (seen and unseen) continue to politicize basic issues of the nature of racism, alienation, and violence, there will be no incentive to start the conversation.

As long as we cling to our fears or claim we will change if someone else changes first, there will be no incentive to start the conversation.

We need bold, prophetic voices to both illuminate the issues and assure us that we will be better for having engaged in the process of change.

As long as fear leads, we will not move forward.

sabine

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cottontail, providing insight into Luke's version of the story of the centurion and his beloved slave:

quote:
You therefore have several good reasons for a holy man like Jesus to refuse to have anything to do with 'dirty foreigners' like this man and his slave. The villagers are in effect pleading, "We know that he's a foreigner and an oppressor and a slave owner and a probable sodomite, but he's one of the good guys, honest!"
Now that's exegesis!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel on Unitarians:
quote:
To lose one Person of the Holy and Undivided Trinity may have been an accident, but to lose two implies carelessness ...

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Archived because I have a feeling " I take your duck" will become an active part of the Ship's lexicon:
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
I think it's important that this isn't about "black music" but about black PEOPLE. Once you start trying to trace the lineage of a song it becomes impossible. Is Dusty's version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" a ripoff of "black music" because it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Shirelles' hit version (if anything she pretty much tried to out-Shirelle them), or a "white" song because it was written by Goffin and King? Is it Jewish like Goffin and King, or Catholic like Dusty? I don't know and I don't care. I do care that black people in the 1960s faced far more barriers to success than she did.

Here's what cultural appropriation is. There's a playground with a bully kid (John) and victim kid (Ed). John takes all the toys but one - let's say a toy duck. Ed makes do with the toy duck and wanders off, and in time comes up with a fantastic duck-related game. Eventually, John comes along, sees how much fun Ed is having, and snatches the duck and the duck related game away, or throws a tantrum and demands that mummy buys him a bigger and fancier duck.

You can respond to this in lots of different ways that all massively miss the point:
"That duck does look pretty fun! Can't blame John!"
"John is showing appreciation of Ed's cleverness!"
"So you're saying that nobody called John should ever play with a duck again, huh?"

The duck is not the point. People are focusing on the duck rather than the moment in which John swoops in and snatches the duck away, and the reasons why John thinks this is acceptable, and the effect this has on Ed.

That is the dynamic of cultural appropriation. Black people, excluded from formal musical education, excluded from concert venues, wandered off and invented their own kinds of music. When white people came along and tried to take over, some of them probably did just love the music. But there's always an element of "Screw you - we get to decide what you can call your own" in this.

People who focus on the songs are focusing on the duck. When you zoom out and see the centuries of the relationship between white people and black people it puts this whole situation in context, and context is really really important here.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo [in Hell] :

The next person I hear talking about legal marriage as a procreation licence, and therefore of no relevance to same-sex couples, is going to be pushed under a f**** bus…..
….I just can't take it any more. It's one thing to be in disagreement with someone who has thought their position through. But to be opposed by complete and utter morons who appear to be the result of a breeding pair that shouldn't have been permitted is just too much.

Drew great responses from

Schroedinger's Cat :

So when you have finished having children, you should divorce? So the purpose of a wife is simply to push out child after child?

Kelly Alves:

Holy Cow, if we admit that pair- bonding is about something more than sex and procreation, we have to start thinking about women as something other than brood mares and helpmeets, don't we? To the barricades! We can't have that!

And lilBuddha :

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with orfeo.
It would simply be unfair to the bus driver, the street cleaners and any passers-by who might be splashed by blood.
I suggest a seaside cliff. Self cleaning and a free meal for the fishes

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not an actual quote from a Shipmate, but one relayed by Galloping Granny from one of her students, when asked to list what she had learned this year:
quote:
* is an asterisk; Asterix is a Gaul
[Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In spite of the fact that some of the most interesting quotes come from Hell, I do try to be careful about what I import into the Circus. This tidbit from LeRoc, however, needs to be preserved--and I will deliberately refrain from identifying who inspired it, because many of us might benefit from remembering this principle from time to time:

quote:
You made a claim. Back it up or stick it somewhere where you'll break your religion's prohibition against pleasuring yourself.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist on the What would YOU tell them thread in AS:

...That sometimes a stiff G-and-T can make you a better parent.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"Hey, Eutychus, how did you spend the weekend during the SOF maintenance shutdown?"

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
f5 f5 f5 f5... oh.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
His work is so far from orthodoxy, it makes The Shack look likes Calvin's Institutes.

[ 08. July 2015, 17:55: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016