homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 56)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Decluttering thread in All Saints ...

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Kitchen renovation is like childbirth. Once it is over and you have the new arrival you completely forget about the misery of achieving it.

Mrs. S, in the sure and certain hope that this will be true

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
the chitinous clatters of keyboards ...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dark Knight (an Australian) comments on the latest ignominious performance by the Australian cricket team now playing in England:

"All out for 60. That is a frothing tinny of fucked up."

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Wherever two or three homophobes are gathered, misogyny was there first.

Nice use of the surprise ending.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ranted for a paragraph in answer to this, Dafyd tossed out three sentences:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
And the function of sexual desire is ?

I think you are confusing 'what is the function of sexual desire' with 'what is the evolutionary explanation of the existence of sexual desire?' The second question may have the answer you want, but it's pertinence to the question at hand is limited.
There were no doubt dinosaurs who said 'the function of feathers is display and keeping warm; this flying business is unnatural'.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, on the Ordered Charismata thread over in Eccles:

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Well ... been away - back now ... seems I'm the only one interested in this topic!

What's happened to Sipech?

Rapture

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cracker from Orfeo, busy with homophobes in Hell.

Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Let's call it my reasonable hope for an interesting discussion

Mate, we all hope for that. But you just won't do the decent thing and leave.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where the heavenly hosts all resolutely fail to get the point:

Posted by jacobsen, who expressed a desire for a weekend companion with two legs rather than current…

Eight furry legs.

Posted by Ariel:

You have an octopus in your life?

Posted by Wet Kipper:

giant spider ?

Posted by Ariel:

Ah, a hairy octopus.

Posted by jacobsen:

And two tails.

Posted by Firenze:

Mutant hairy octopus.

Posted by jacobsen:

Teeth, ears and whiskers.

Posted by Firenze:

So that's where Cthulhu is these days.

[ 22. August 2015, 15:15: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good reminder.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
As I've said on previous threads, we do not read,
"And the Word became paper and dwelt among us".

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Small/handbag sized Bible recommendations Alan Cresswell gave us:

"I had a Gideon NT and Psalms at one point. I left it in a hotel room somewhere."

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Pfft - Microsoft's lack of online privacy is nothing compared to what happens in their physical stores.

The other day I went into one of their shops and, although I had tried to protect my anonymity by means of a black mask over my face, I was horrified to realise that the shop assistants could still watch all of my movements throughout the shop, down to the level of which aisle I walked down and what products I looked at. They refused point-blank to blindfold themselves and when I tried to brute-force them to clear their memory cache by means of a lump hammer, I was bundled into the back of a police van by some overzealous security hardware.

[Overused]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chapelhead on the British thread in AS:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
... I got many complimentary remarks from ladies of the village on the size of my entry. It's nice to know that it has already given pleasure to so many.

He said he was talking about the village gardening competition, and we all believe him, don't we, children? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Because I used to work in a publishing house, and Ariel's exactly right what would happen:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Some of it’s interesting, some of it’s food for thought, some of it’s inspirational, some of it’s plain weird, some of it’s repetitive. These days, a good editor would have put all the "begats" in an appendix with a family tree, pruned Leviticus to a readable minimum, polished up Mark’s prose, queried the inclusion of the Song of Songs, issued Paul’s letters as a separate supplement, made a mental note not to work with certain prophets on any further books, especially the one who wrote Revelations, and compiled a list of queries for the authors that stretched from here to Jerusalem.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Chapelhead on the British thread in AS:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
... I got many complimentary remarks from ladies of the village on the size of my entry. It's nice to know that it has already given pleasure to so many.

He said he was talking about the village gardening competition, and we all believe him, don't we, children? [Big Grin]
Of course we do
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schroedinger's cat on the Greenbelt 2015 thread:

quote:
I did read "Do you want to meet someone of the same faith as you" and thought "no way - one Grumpy, cynical dickhead is enough for any relationship"

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Republican Primary Debates Color Commentary:

quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
Christi, citing support from "Harvard and Dartmouth"
(whatever the hell that means) claimed Social Security will be insolvent in "seven or eight years".

Such a claim is either an outrageous lie or a display of incredible ignorance, yet no one in the clown car corrected him.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
If they had started correcting each other the event would have lasted another four hours, so one must thank God that no one bothered.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse, in Kerygmania, paraphrasing Habakkuk:

quote:
"Life is gawdawful in almost every respect; yet I will have hope in the Lord for as long as I live."

[Overused]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:

I just think that in this context (as I once heard about preaching), exegesis is like underwear: everyone wants you to have it, but no-one wants to see it.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel, posting great sense on "The Protoevangelium of James" thread in Purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Well yes, we are all operating according to the principles of Paschal's Wager - there's no way we can 'prove' any of this - we pays our money and we makes our choice.

The best we can do is to follow our conscience and convictions and however hard and fast or how loosely we do so, try to ensure that we don't use them as a stick with which to beat anyone else ...

We see through a glass darkly, but we still see ...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this one funny. Doc Tor reacting to another poster:
quote:
Doc Tor: [Your post] reveals such a super-abundance of hyperbole - nay, not since the Great Hyperbole Disaster of '02 where literally everybody everywhere died [...]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I found this one funny. Doc Tor reacting to another poster:
quote:
Doc Tor: [Your post] reveals such a super-abundance of hyperbole - nay, not since the Great Hyperbole Disaster of '02 where literally everybody everywhere died [...]

[Killing me]

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit slow bringing this here, and perhaps it needs to be understood in context, but this struck me as being as neat a summary as one might wish...
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
As far as I can tell, the "gay agenda" seems to be remarkably similar to the "hetrosexual agenda".

They're both trying to undermine marriage, heterosexual people by getting divorced, and gay people by... um... getting married.

You might not understand how getting married undermines marriage but that just shows that our minds aren't devious enough to understand the gay agenda.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently complaining about people pronouncing "eschatology / eschatological" with the emphasis on the "schat" syllable, so this wonderful aside by Kaplan Corday made me laugh:

quote:
If someone describes a prophetic scenario different from theirs as crap, is that scatological eschatology or eschatological scatology?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I was recently complaining about people pronouncing "eschatology / eschatological" with the emphasis on the "schat" syllable,

That winds me up no end. My church is riddled with those who talk of ess-scatalogical matters. I much prefer esker-tology.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So, after a freaking four year absence, JimT strolls into Dead Horses and slaps his Thing down:

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
The Gospel According to Jim The Least

Two men were brought before Jesus by Keepers of the Law, who said, “These men are Jews who have lived among the Greeks and Romans. They are Roman citizens and under Roman guard. They say that they have been married by Roman authorities as man and wife are, and that since their union is chaste and permissible under Roman Law, it ought to be permissible under Jewish law. The Law says that they have committed abomination and shall surely be put to death. What do you say?”

Jesus said, “You have heard it said that men having sex with men is an ‘abomination’, but I say unto you, ‘It is mere perversion.’ You shall not kill them, for their perversion is incurable, and not in their power to control. You are to love them, forgive them, but never accept their sexual desire for one another as normal, nor permit them to organize politically lest they argue their case and win.”

“No!” cried the crowd. “It is abomination! Stone them!”

The Roman guards seized Jesus, the men, and the Chief Priests and brought them to trial before Simona Erina for rioting.

“This man Jesus says he is King of the Jews,” the guards told Erina. “These two men here now live as man and wife under Roman Law as Roman citizens. They have asked their Chief Priests to conform Jewish Law, which punishes their union with death, to Roman Law, which does not. Jesus said that they are not to be put to death, but shamed for life as ‘perverts.’ This incited a crowd to riot, so we have brought them here for you to judge what is to be done.”

Erina asked the men, “Your leaders have said that you are ‘perverts.’ If our doctors can cure you of your perversion will you submit to it, leave each other, marry and have children?”

“No,” said the men. "We would rather die as we were born than die apart under any circumstance.”

“Remarkable!” said Erina. “Greater love than this I have not seen in Israel.” She turned to Jesus. “Jesus,” she said, “why do you call these men ‘perverts’?”

“Because their natural sexual desire, a pleasurable impulse whose purpose is the perpetuation of the Children of God, has been stripped of its essential, substantive purpose, which is procreation, not pleasure.”

“Indeed,” Erina responded. “Fetch me Charlicus Darwinicus,” she commanded. A bearded man appeared and was asked if the “substantive” purpose of sexual desire was procreation. He was also asked for his view on “perversion” of natural urges.

“Well ‘substantively’ or essentially, the purpose of sexual desire in humans is to ensure overpopulation, not simple steady-state continuation. In women, it has to be strong enough to repeatedly risk death in order to produce a surplus of children to outstrip disease, natural disaster, starvation, and war. In men, it must be strong enough to divert them from self-interest to the care, feeding, and protection of mates and their surplus of progeny. Importantly, overpopulation resulting from sexual desire makes aggression and war inevitable, producing the strongest, cleverest, and best organized warriors. In a world of peace, freedom from disease, and limited resources, sexual desire can be considered a perversion; it no longer serves its original purpose, which is overpopulation.”

“Jesus?” Erina asked. Jesus gave no answer. “Very well. Fetch me Sigmoidicum Freudendum.”

Another bearded man appeared and was asked the same question as Darwinicus. “Funny you should ask this, just as I am finishing my theories on ‘sublimation.’ In essence it posits that the very foundation of civilization is the ‘perversion’ of sexual desire. My theory is that heroic achievements in all areas, from Music, to Art, to Science, to Politics, to Literature, are all based upon ‘perverting’ sexual desire from its original intention, which is to produce exponential increases in population, to producing other societal ‘goods.’ Without the excessive urge of sexual desire, nothing could produce the pyramids or the Temple of Jerusalem. At least so it seems to me.”

Erina turned to address Jesus. “I have heard of your preaching, and much of it is good. Have you not said that your Kingdom is not of this world? Have you not said that you recognize only two commandments as essential, namely to love the source of all goodness, leading to love of others? Do you still feel compelled to shame these men with the insult of ‘perversion’?”

Jesus turned to the crowd and said, “Surely this woman is a Child of God. Her name is no longer Simona, but Petrina, and on this Rockette I will build my Church.”

Jesus went out and solemnized the union of the men in secret, knowing that his time to risk all for the Kingdom had not yet come. He went about performing miracles, healing the sick, raising the dead, and leaving those who need no physician to heal themselves, as Mother Nature intended.

He that hath ears to hear, let them hear.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
So, after a freaking four year absence, JimT strolls into Dead Horses and slaps his Thing down:

You do realise you've just had me reading the Biblical Interpretation thread assuming that was where this gem was located in context.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

FINE. HELL.

Jeez, Alan, how do you cope surrounded by imperfect people? [Biased]

(I was so flustered I called him Tim on the thread, too. Just went back a fixed that.)

[ 07. October 2015, 05:56: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

YMMV. I find I spend my time more constructively no longer worrying whether or not God is living up to my standards.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Sioni Sais on Geoffrey Howe, over in Celebrity Death Pool:
quote:
David Cameron paid tribute to him in that article. I wish he and Osborne listened to him a bit more, for despite being a Thatcherite Tory he had ten times the empathy they show, possibly a consequence of attending Winchester (a genuine centre of excellence, if an expensive one) rather than Eton (where they teach beagling and some truly stupid games).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This needs no context other than current events:

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
YMMD (esp. if you're driving a VW).

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Never again meals thread in Heaven:

Originally posted by North East Quine:
Anyone else had a child who took one look at their dinner and then refused to say Grace on the basis that "If I tell God I'm grateful for this He will know I'm telling lies."?

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl: Liberal Backslider sums up popular music of recent times:

quote:
Bloody hip-hop, techno and all that sails in it seems to have held sway with little change for about the last 30 years. It went Bum shitty bum shitty bum shitty bum in 1988 and it's still going Bum shitty bum shitty bum shitty bum now.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Just [Killing me] :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Or, have you Canadians decided that there's no point in pretending to be a different country and simply joined the US without telling anyone?

Dear God, I think his sphincter clench just sucked up Montana...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Why we have a quotes file: Because sometimes the fierce debate over marriage equality will give birth to the phrase" frosting on the fuck cake."
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:

In your definition of marriage, if that penis doesn't go into that vagina, it can't be marriage, and nothing, nothing, nothing can ever make up for absence of Tab A and Slot B. In your definition of marriage, all that stuff about "till death do us part" and "in sickness and in health" and "forsaking all others" doesn't make the marriage, it's just frosting on the fuck cake. When married people celebrate their anniversary, they're commemorating the date of their first fuck.

Is that really the hill of the definition of marriage you want to die on? The Golgotha where you crucify gays and lesbians on your cross of genital marriage? (Thank you, William Jennings Bryan.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From cliffdweller on the subject of driving:

quote:
I think of it as a spiritual practice: you get to the bottom of the onramp and then have a bit of quiet time while you pray for an opening in the traffic. Then when you decide to make your move you have a more charismatic sort of experience, shouting "o God o God o God o God" as you gun it hoping desperately that your aging car will get up to speed before the traffic catches up to you. Finally, you practice holiness by gripping the steering wheel tightly as you focus on remaining on the not-so-straight and narrow.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(That one seemed more like a sex metaphor to me.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Archived because the " bucket of snails" tableau sends me off into giggles every time I read it:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

And I’ve got to tell you this one, because it’s possibly the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen. Last week, Boss parked his scooter somewhere he shouldn’t have done and it got impounded by the police. He went to get it back, presumably at some considerable cost. A little later, I came round to his office to give him some papers and heard that he was on the phone, with a funny voice saying something about the Embassy. What’s that all about?...He was trying to pass himself off as an angry American. I reckon the person on the other end of the phone (at the Prefecture of Police) must have been killing themselves laughing. The accent was, ahem, unconvincing. Also he has a really, really French name. He couldn’t look more French if he was standing in a bucket of snails wearing a stripy jumper and whistling la Marseillaise. Apart from which, even if he had been a bit more convincing, what the hell was this supposed to achieve, apart from getting Americans a bad reputation? Why would Americans not have to pay parking fines? I don’t even.

I don’t know whether I’m going to end up in jail or in a lunatic asylum.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab in the "Calling all homophobes to Hell" thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I've got the testicles of an ape whose ancestors put it about.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stetson in the 'Political correctness goes mad' thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I think it's ridiculous how these days you can't have a nativity scene without some p.c. nutter having to toss in a bunch of middle-eastern people and a teenaged mother.

--------------------
plug plug

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane R in the the Heaven thread about "inept drivers":

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
NEQ:
quote:
I had a great uncle who believed that driving straddling the white lines in the middle was the most fuel-efficient way to drive.
...whereas I always thought it was a political statement.

Or, if it's the Bishop's car, a theological statement (all Anglicans believe they are middle-of-the-road).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac waxes lyrical on the Stir-up Sunday thread in Heaven:
quote:
*moans orgasmically*

We had a truly fantastic fruit cake today - made for last Christmas - full of great lumps of candied fruit, black as the inside of Satan's posing pouch, and solid enough to build walls from. Moister than a new bride, and richly fed with brandy like the bride's father.

It was amazing! It also seems to have inspired my tongue to run away with itself, must be the brandy.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Ever had your leg humped by a gerbil? It's hilarious.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Cresswell sorts out the tricky question of church governance between the Church of England and Church of Scotland:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
And what resources are going to make the problem go away?

There's only one answer that would be agreeable to Prebyterian and Episcopalian alike. They need a committee.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An unassailable truth is brought to us by Firenze:

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Or you could alternate the old and new lightbulbs in a doubtless doomed effort to please everybody.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sioni Sais, on the nature of evil:

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If there is a common thread running through all these people and their acts it is self-deception. They have convinced themselves that their policies, methods or acts are good when it is plainly otherwise.

Problems get worse still when they are gifted communicators or able to employ others to write speeches for them, for then they become dangerously influential. After all, once you have deceived yourself, it's a doddle to deceive others. In their evil, they are 100% sincere.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Bunny with an Axe knocks one out of the park. (In the "Bacon Butties" thread in Purg)

quote:
It occurs to me that, in some church circles, "outreach" has stopped meaning "reaching out" and now means "reeling in"...

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

And you, MT, came up with this corker on the 'Anglicans and Lightbulbs' thread over in Heaven:

How many Orthodoxen does it take to change a light bulb? What is this "light bulb"? Was it light bulb in church in 19th Century Russia? No, it was not. Is outrage! You light holy candle, never mind this "light bulb." You need new candle, you pay babushka in foyer, she give you candle. [to self] Light bulb in church. Ha! This is what is wrong with world today. Oy.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le Roc blows the gaff on Brazil, musicians and the effect of alcohol on the memory in the Britain thread in AS:

Something interesting happened. During Carnival 2009, I was in Brazil. I was mostly playing, and backstage I met some musicians who said to me: "we'll be recording some stuff on Thursday, come join us." So that was the day after Ash Wednesday, when everyone in Brazil has a hangover (but recording studios are cheap). But alright, I went to the studio for about on hour and played a bit. The following week, I was off to Cape Verde and mostly forgot about the whole thing. Last week, I was in a rather obscure CD shop in Brazil, saw a cover and thought: "I remember the name of that band." I opened the booklet and there it was on page 2: "[My real name], trumpet on tracks 2 and 16". After seven years, I'm finally able to hear what I played on that moody Thursday [Smile]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has already been picked out and praised on the thread itself (about coverage of David Bowie's death on the BBC in Hell), but is definitely worthy of Quotes File status. Bibaculus on David Bowie:

quote:
I understand he might have been important to some people, but, let us be honest, its not like he has the cultural significance of, say, Nigel Blackwell from Half Man Half Biscuit.
It doesn't even matter that he's wrong. I laughed.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016