homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 59)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
If the snake had offered Eve a brussels sprout, just think of all the trouble it would have saved mankind. Eve would have told the snake where to shove it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quetzalcoatl and Callan on the subject of a lady Dr. Who:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
What bliss! The last great barrier for women, after women doctors, astronauts, prime ministers. Jodie will be terrific.

It will be Bond next, then the U.S. President, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope and then, finally, the Leader of the Labour Party.
[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gottschalk sums up what I believe should be the ethos of the Ship:
quote:
we should perhaps never give up the task of trying to dialogue, discuss and learn, in spite of our convictions and beliefs, and that we all need a healthy dose of distance from ourselves, our beliefs, and everything else, all peppered with humour
That should be nailed to the masthead, at least of Purgatory.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quetzalcoatl (are you looking for frequent friggin' flying points down here? [Biased] ... I note Lamb Chopped [Overused] ed it but clearly has enough frequent flights by courtesy of appearances on this thread)

quote:
I thought that everybody is ignored on the internet. In fact, forums are not really for communication, are they? Well, fortunately, I love reading my own posts. What could be more satisfying? Such wise words.

Though come on ... it should be "fora" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Internet said:
"The current entry from the Oxford Dictionary says: The plural of forum is usually spelled forums; the plural fora (as in the original Latin) is chiefly used when talking about a public square in an ancient Roman city."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can pry my latinate plurals out of my cold dead phalanges.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leorning Cniht, if that wasn't in the Quotes File already, I think it would have to be put here.

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

edited for spelling of your name

[ 27. July 2017, 21:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda Clough in heaven:

quote:
...the number of cat photos on line is essentially as infinite as the mind of God.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilbuddha on the Famous Last Posts thread referring to newly created mash-up topic 2017 Celebrity Death Piglet:
quote:
Death Piglet Theatre presents: On Tiny Cloven Hooves

"Oh, what a cuuute little piggy!"
Squeal!
"What?! Nooo!"
Squeal! snort, snuffle, Squeal!
"But I'm too young to d..."
snort

Needed a laugh, made me own. Not even sorry.

Know that I'll be creating a Death Piglet Theatre version of any crime dramas I watch from now on (Law & Order: Porktown? Prime Rib Suspect?). [Two face] [Overused]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Kerygmaniacs throw down:

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Well, for one thing, Candler School of Theology at Emory isn't exactly Brother Billy Bob's Bible College and School of Hair Design...you can look up his CV if you want. His ideas are also echoed by scholars like Tamara Eskenazi.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This exchange:

quote:
simontoad:
I wish to advise you all that this was typed with a cat sticking her claws into my left shoulder. Clearly she is an instrument of God's retribution.

quote:
Rossweisse:
Cats are good at that, when it's called for.

A new definition:

Cats: noun, pl - Agents of Gods retribution.

-----

[Yes, I know there is a missing apostrophe, but as a cat owner I do not care ... OW! get off ....]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While shopping in Hell , Doc Tor gave us this gem:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I've been married for 25 years. Speaking truth to power is a necessity.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread popped to the top of the Circus with a six day old quote. Meaning someone posted a quote and then deleted the post. I shall be forever* curious as to what that quote was and why it was deleted. Why the second though, was it nasty, salacious, twisted? All three?

*Well, 15 minutes or so.

[ 08. September 2017, 21:57: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was me. I said 'Brave man'. Then it occurred to me that I didn't know whether Doc Tor is a man or a woman and therefore, having kicked myself, I deleted it.
Sorry to disappoint!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is a man. I do not think Soror Magna would have enshrined the quote otherwise.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the meantime, genius quotes abound. Like this gem regarding the current Commander in Chief:

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Can anyone explain what goes on inside what passes for The Barking Dog's mind?

[Confused]

IJ

me mine me mine me mine me mine me mine nice ass me mine me mine me mine me mine screw you arsehole me mine me mine me mine oh she likes me me mine me mine me mine me mine .....

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Prior to my 2nd marriage my (never married) husband-to-be was briefly concerned that (when asked) I made clear that daughter would always come first. He consulted with two married friends: "is it normal for your wife to put your kids first?". One, a new father with a brand-new baby, pondered the question for a brief moment. The other-- having been a father for several years with a couple of toddlers-- laughed at them both, mocking the new father for not realizing that "you were #2 before the epidural wore off".

Wisdom and truth. The only trick is to know what kind parent and child pair they will grow into to know if there is room in there edgewise for you.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Baptist Trainfan explains the life-cycle of the wire coat-hanger on the Decluttering thread in AS:
quote:
You do realise, don't you, that paper clips are the larval form of metal coat-hangers?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I used to watch crap TV (home makeover shows etc) whilst ironing my husband's shirts. He used to explain that I'd rot my brain watching such rubbish, and say that he would never risk his own mighty brain by watching inane T.V. Eventually I realised that I was losing my husband's respect by watching mindless drivel whilst ironing his shirts. But I knew that I was incapable of watching anything intellectually challenging and ironing at the same time.

So I stopped ironing his shirts.

His mighty brain had genuinely not anticipated that as a solution to the problem. [Disappointed]

One of the Greatest. Posts. Ever. [Overused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

Here she stands; she can do no other. Deal with it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a great one-two punch, Rocinante and Alan Cresswell take the description of Brexit to new, er, heights?

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
Britain is being pushed over a cliff by fools who think we'll somehow sprout wings during the long plummet to follow.

That's what happens when people live in cloud cuckoo land. They push everyone out of the nest before they can fly, then add a rather bizarre lemming twist by jumping themselves before they fledge.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Stargazer lilies are the imprint of Satan's anus upon the world.

A perfect description! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK, firing on all eight cylinders in Hell:

“Full of shit doesn't even begin to describe it. It's the faecal neutronium remnant of a collapsed shit-star from its shit-nova.”

I laughed again as I spoke it out loud to myself and the dog. He laughed too.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Jack the Lass in All Saints on why the Almighty will have some explaining to do when she gets to Heaven:
quote:
I may have to add 'slug longevity' to my list of things I wish to ask The Almighty about when I get the chance, along with Donald Trump and wasps.

In fairness, I think Trump may be the work of the other bloke ...

[ 04. December 2017, 18:42: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This exchange in the "Slogans" thread in heaven tickled me:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Have you predestined your life's -and afterlife's-
schedule with the Calvinists?

That was always going to be posted.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og, with a nice bit of touché.
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
My Dad always said money is like fairies - they only exist if you believe in them.

A bit short on allowance day, was he? [Biased]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK with some perspicacious advice on God's justice:

quote:
It might be wise to consider that if we call down justice, it might not be limited to our enemies...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In the middle of a philosophical discussion fraught with uncertainty and speculation, a word of solid truth is spoken:

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Yeah. Go ahead and buy that copy of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Sophie's World is better.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Deep wisdom from a DH thread on the Bible:

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Translation, with all the interpretation that implies, is an intrinsic part of the Scriptures.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016