homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoth the esteemed tomb (squamous and rugose) on the AS:Molly thread:

quote:
Death is so inconvenient.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LynnMagdaleneCollege gives props to Sine:

quote:
Sine, your cynical self-interest regarding no-room-at-the-inn and the Bethlehem Marriott is practically inspiring.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab in Purg:

quote:
The Christian gospel is not a logic puzzle that God set us so that he can ensure he gets the smartest possible worshippers. If it were, the incarnation would have been unnecessary – a Sudoku would have done just as well.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy in Purg:

quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is simple and 10 is complex, God is a banana.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grushi attempts to celebrate his Loss of Faith:

quote:
I went out[to Walmart] this morning after learning that Genesis 1 invalidates the whole of the bible, and the best they could offer me was Tickle Me Richard Dawkins.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love it when there's a hilarious post in Eccles. Here's Louise describing the music at Christmas Mass:

quote:
lo, verily, the organist had smitten the keyboard like unto Samson getting all Bronze Age on somebody's ass.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the 'Ungorgivable (sic) sin' thread in Heaven a little while back:

' Not so very long ago, gully prepared to deliver a major seminar before the great and the good, SWMBO had to go commando. Threw away all her gallen-apart knickers with not a thought og buying replacements. Mr Eggiciency had the wash on; when cries were heard "Guck! I haven't got any knickers!" '

Unfortunately I don't remember who said it, and it won't let me search for it, so.........yet again, I say: any claimers? Someone must be proud of that one!

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Can't argue with you, Moo:

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If Kindade had painted only one picture, I think I would like it.

Unfortunately, he didn't stop there.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent]I had never heard of Kindade - but he appears to be some kind of American Jack Vettriano[/Tangent]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oops, didn't correct the spelling. It's Kincade.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ena:
Unfortunately I don't remember who said it, and it won't let me search for it, so.........yet again, I say: any claimers? Someone must be proud of that one!

I think that was Welease Woderick, but I could be wrong.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

I think that was Welease Woderick, but I could be wrong.
No, it wasn't. Take a bow, Zealot en Vacance.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, thank you! I can see WW saying it too, though...

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
[Tangent]I had never heard of Kindade - but he appears to be some kind of American Jack Vettriano[/Tangent]

...except Vettriano's works aren't cloying gobs of sentiment. I like JV's work because it contains a bit of mystery and helps me build stories around the figures in the paintings (something I value as a writer), whereas Kincade's works present me with nothing more than a cute image.

Of course, both of these men can laugh at their critics all the way to the bank.

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can see WW saying it too, though...

I can't see WW referring to SWMBO somehow - I think HWMBO might have something to say about that [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the same thing, JtL. Congrats, BTW.

Adeodatus on Torchwood:
quote:
There are only so many British cities you can trample on or fight an interplanetary war over, before somebody somewhere notices.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've already just confessed that Callan is one of my favourite quotable shipmates, and here he is on form again. From the NOS thread in Purgatory:

quote:
but we can all see that giving someone in their twenties pastoral care of a congregation of six hundred young people after one year at theological college with no adequate support or oversight is going to end badly whether he is Hannibal Lecter or St. John of the Cross.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the hell thread "Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!"

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

I look in the mirror and see... A thrill ride. The cockpit of a vintage luxury car well-covered in butter-soft Fine Corinthian Leather. A full-fat, extra-cream dessert, spiked with spices and finest liquors and set afire as it's served.

All I can say is whoa..yeaaassss! [Overused]
(and I am borrowing this...mighty fine line! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max in Eccles

quote:
Mine goes over my head and then has a zip up the middle.
[Eek!]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I really should be getting to bed, but I had to drop this one off:

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
There's little more painful than banging one's own bony bits against someone else's bony bits, and there's always the risk of it sounding like a xylophone.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
From the hell thread "Why not just have a siren go off? "FAT-so, FAT-so, FAT-so!"

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

I look in the mirror and see... A thrill ride. The cockpit of a vintage luxury car well-covered in butter-soft Fine Corinthian Leather. A full-fat, extra-cream dessert, spiked with spices and finest liquors and set afire as it's served.

All I can say is whoa..yeaaassss! [Overused]
(and I am borrowing this...mighty fine line! [Big Grin] )

Uh huh. That's Janine all right. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yoiks! I am humbled Mme Lapin avec une hache.

In years to come, those researching my biography will find this permanent record of my erudition.

"Oh, look," will say Researcher the First, "He contributed a passage to an internet-based theological forum!"

"Really?" will come the response. "What is the underlying theme of his thesis?"

"Umm... it's all about knobbing skinny girls."

Bang goes my canonisation then...

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Ags
quote:
Don't mind, lad or lass

[ 09. January 2007, 22:52: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Cc, at least you named your preference.
I, on the other hand, seem to be a little ambivalent about mine! [Hot and Hormonal]

Spike - [Razz]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel in Heaven;
quote:
I wonder if they could all be combined - an alluring dance with the hula hoop that finishes with your feet under the sideboard. Would the sultan go for that, I wonder?

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sine Nomine reflects:

quote:
I’m not becoming my mother. I’m becoming my grandmother. And to think I pitched her bridge cloths when I moved. I knew I shouldn’t get rid of anything. I just KNEW it!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Trudy Scrumptious on the Praise Thread --
quote:
Sometimes all we can do is throw a rock at the window and let grace shine through!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I'm back with another; this time, Bede's American Successor on the ECUSA vs. CofE thread:

quote:
To forget that +KJS was an active research oceanographer is not wise. She is not the Vicar of Dibley in rochet and chimere.

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB in purgatory:
quote:
God is Love, not Prozac.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This comes up all the time, so I feel it proper to save this nugget form Lyda Rose:

quote:
It's almost frightening the regularity in which it represents people who like to play in Hell- but not well. Someone should write it up as an addendum to Rorschach.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oops, clipped it. [Hot and Hormonal]
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
What is it about the tiger avatar? [Confused]

It's almost frightening the regularity in which it represents people who like to play in Hell- but not well. Someone should write it up as an addendum to Rorschach.

I except Mama Thomas, Of course. [Biased]

[ 18. January 2007, 05:01: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

...and ken preaches the full gospel:

quote:
Look, this is Hell. We've got no problem with posters mocking loonies and dumbos and mentally subnormal sick people. But if they misuse the English language our pedantry circuits will be engaged.

--------------------

Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
on the God isn't a bitch hell thread...

quote:
Posted by The Lad Himself:

Obviously God's female. Otherwise how do you explain multiple orgasms? Exactly.

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Dang it, Worm, you beat me to it! [Razz]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Keep this excuse handy, courtesy of dogwonderer:

quote:
I haven't actually read past Line 3 of the OP yet, cos my dog ate the printout.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another RooKism for the minutes:

quote:
the truth is that in this thread you've been little more than a scratching post to a herd of bored cats.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love taking things out of context...

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
Play with your dead kitty and see what looks good - be bold!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Another RooKism :It may be cynical, but you can't really argue with it:

quote:
I think you'll find that the preponderance of clinical evidence clearly identifies two specific kinds of relationships as being most likely to cause psychological harm: marriage and parenthood.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] Corpus Cani:
quote:
As a fully fledged Anglican I can claim to be fully qualified in nailing my colours firmly to the fence.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Vanity alert

I posted this a long time ago, in reference to somebody involved in the Gitmo situation:

quote:
I'm sure he'll be providing the forward to the Patriot Edition of the Malleus Malificarum.
(I just thought that was a great line. Forgive me.)

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Blesséd Spiffy said in Hell, in re: Gordo's recurrent lack of Immodium:

quote:
The Gospel according to Gordito, after all, says Jesus wandered into the desert for 40 days to come up with the 4 Step Plan for Salvation and to helpfully write out all His words in red marker in Elizabethan English, all the while singing "Shine, Myself, Shine".

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came here to print that Pete. It may be the funniest thing I've ever read here. At least in the top ten. That darn Spiffy.
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the speed camera thread in Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
You're so dense that your brain must have an event horizon around it.

I think the most beautiful thing about this insult is the incongruity of a person who knows what an event horizon acting so dense as to deserve this. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
I think the most beautiful thing about this insult is the incongruity of a person who knows what an event horizon acting so dense as to deserve this. OliviaG

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I maintain my physics-based approach as correct... but RooK is much better at the riposte than me, so that's where the kudos goes. Curse his canuck hide!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
KenW's been taking the megalomania pills again.

Once he stopped taking them, and an ozone hole developed over Fresno.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
But before you can listen you have to stop talking. And before you can understand someone you have to stop telling them what they're saying. Before you can point them to Jesus, you have to stop giving them the finger.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just on my way to post that one: AdamPater, [Overused]

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Professor Kirke notes
quote:
If Maryland and New York combine forces, my Limited Edition Goat Nad iPod is going to completely lose its resale value.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Doublethink (on the Purg discussion about banning fake testicles as vehicle ornaments):
quote:
I wonder if they'd bother to ban false clitorides ? Though of course you'd have to mount them somewhere under the hood, and the mechanic would spend ages trying to find them ...

[Killing me]

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Sine Nomine in Hell:
quote:
Well you know, Gordo, it occurs to me that if you were so damn happy with your own beliefs you wouldn’t feel the compulsion to throw stones at other people’s.
Words to live by.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016