homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Famous Headlines of Weirdness (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Famous Headlines of Weirdness
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had for a while a thread about Famous BBC RSS Feed headlines, and assorted ones.

I keep coming across new headlines in the media which I consider worth sharing with the wider Ship crew, and imagine you might encounter those as well and wish to post them, possibly with our own brief and insightful comment, like in the previous thread. I hope I'm not mistaken, and am really looking forward to discovering your curious finds and clever observations! [Smile]

Thus: Welcome to the wonderful world of strange, not quite thought-through or well-structured tag lines.

May I start, please? [Yipee]

I've just found this, from Reuters:

Plane broke up in mid-air after noise - investigators

That's why I love silent compartments on trains. They definitely should have them on planes too.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So the plane broke up after the noise-investigators?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If think it makes sense to assume it broke up after noise, especially as planes are known to be somewhat on the silent side. But then YMMV.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old, but sweet.

Man falls off bicycle

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our local papers genuinely had

Body found in grave

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Tuesday, the notice outside a Dundee newsagent read "Baptist Rocket Kills Dundee Cow"

A cow, believed spooked by the noise from a firework party hosted by a Baptist church, broke through a fence, fell down an embankment and died. The Dundee Courier even carried a photo of the dead cow.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sky News has just been featuring "Screams in Scotland as Clooney Has a Sarnie".

Who or what was in the sarnie to make the Scots scream has not been revealed.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old favourite stuck on the fridge door for years was from the New York Times: "Creative Tension Grips Yonkers". With certain Goon Show overtones, it seemed somewhat unlikely. (Just checked with Auntie Google, and for once, my memory was good - it's real!)

In NEQ's territory, there was the Press & Journal's legendary "Giant neep found in Turriff", but I don't know if that's verifiable.

I liked the Dundee cow story. Was it a presbyterian or Wee Free cow, I wonder? Could be bad for ecumenical relations.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri;

quote:
In NEQ's territory, there was the Press & Journal's legendary "Giant neep found in Turriff", but I don't know if that's verifiable.
It's not true. The giant neep hailed from Crathie. It was a Balmoral green top neep, measured 37 inches in circumference and weighed 22lbs. Also, in fairness, news of the neep wasn't front page news, but was tucked away in the farming section.

Although Turriff hasn't produced any neeps worthy of report by the P&J, it did lay claim to a giant tattie, weighing 2lb 7oz, which was displayed in a shop window for three weeks in 1936. I imagine it was quite the talking point in Turriff.

(Translation - neeps =turnips, tatties = potatoes)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attack on Paris an assault on the city itself

I think I know what they're trying to say, ie. it's an attack on the spirit of the city, but the headline as written doesn't even work as a meaningful redundancy. Just a redundancy, full stop.

link

[ 14. November 2015, 19:44: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Mirror Daily" (not to be confused with the Daily Mirror):

Mass Extinction Would Affect Massive Animals More

So smaller animals enjoy extinction more? Or it doesn't hurt as much? What?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Today, the BBC News website offers us:

Beethoven disrupts anti-migrant rally in Germany

Pretty spry for an old man.

As if that wasn't enough, the first paragraph of the story reads:

quote:
German police are taking legal action against theatre staff in Mainz for disrupting an anti-migrant rally by singing Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

What?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Weird. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city newsletter that comes with my water/waste bill had the headline "Roof rats meeting in January." I was quite disappointed to read on and learn that this is an informational meeting for (human) residents, and not a gathering or rodents.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From the BBC News site:

Police 'not prepared for honour crime'

At least one group of people not doing 'em! That's a relief.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years back, the BBC website had the succinct-to-the-point-of-meaninglessness headline:

Bat Walk Ha-Ha Fall Man Sues

A man who fell down a ha-ha ditch at a stately home in the dark after the end of a walk to spot bats was suing the stately home. Makes perfect sense now.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
China may be using sea to hide submarines.

Cunning. Very cunning.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Icelanders flock to religion revering Sumerian gods and tax rebates

Obviously Valhalla not coming across with the financial incentives these days.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From Reuters:

'No fingerprints!' chant migrants in Italy

The nation-wide biggest, weirdest Christmas choir ever?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

BBC News frontpage:

'Whip' organisers of Iglesias Lanka gig

This left me puzzled. Where's the verb? Or is there one? A group called 'Whip' are the organisers of the concert? An eccentric Iglesias now doing a BDSM show, Madonna-like?

It is actually this:

quote:
Sri Lanka's president says the organisers of an Enrique Iglesias gig should be whipped as punishment over the behaviour of some female fans.
Which is just as strange!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen on tonight's MSNBC crawl:

Man falls to death while distracted by electronic device in San Diego.

I **told** you that the electronic devices they have in San Diego are especially dangerous!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

BBC again very cryptic:

Death quiz man, 86, 'woman's husband' [Paranoid]

Absurd? Gruesome story here, if interested.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have to admit to being irresistibly drawn to this headline after being sent the sad care home story link.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

There have been similar headlines before, but it is always a classic:

Fight breaks out at New Jersey anti-violence demonstration

I don't think they are doing it right....

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

From the BBC:

Giant Mao appears in China countryside

Suddenly, I have a plot for the next Godzilla movie.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
China may be using sea to hide submarines.

Cunning. Very cunning.

I only just read this, and had myself a great OLL (Out Loud Laugh)

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen on this morning's CNN crawl:

Clinton, Sanders running neck in neck in Iowa

It's about time those two put their heads together, don't you think?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the BBC:
Penguin scraps degree requirement

I'm still trying to work out if that's a very demanding Antarctic bird or if one has previously needed to be highly qualified to work in the manufacture of small chocolate biscuits.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
From the BBC:
Penguin scraps degree requirement

All that work for nothing.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just seen on BBC online:
quote:
Dog poo DNA test launches in Barking
Actually I have nothing to add.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Also from the BBC website:

India school mauling leopard escapes

The question of why a school in India would maul a leopard becomes trivial compared to the question of how, exactly, a school escapes.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From BBC News:

Swiss vote on foreign criminals law

There could be an apostrophe missing, couldn't there? I hope voters will say no to a law that's brought forward by foreign criminals! - At least they've got a vote on it...

[ 28. February 2016, 07:22: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the BBC:

Star Wars victorious at Empire awards

I want to make some sort of joke about the Oscars striking back, but I can't quite make work out the precise wording.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I watch the local news over breakfast each morning (no, it doesn't put me off my food). There are two stories that you can rely on to appear every morning: (1) somebody got shot last night; and (2) somebody's house burned down last night.

Imagine my satisfaction when the following appeared on the crawl: "Suspect shot while house burns." Talk about two birds with one stone. [Devil]

Lately we can rely on a third story also appearing every morning: "Driver caught going wrong way on freeway."

I can hardly wait to see the crawl: "Driver shot while car catches fire going wrong way on freeway."

[ 08. April 2016, 19:39: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daily Mail Owner Considering Yahoo Bid

That's its demographic after all.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From the Grauniad:

Prince Sister says artist had no known will

We always thought he had quite a will of his own, but now we realise he was totally will-less.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Western Telegraph

John Thomas in trouble over penis pictures

Is anyone surprised?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

From the BBC:

Tim Peake to control rover from space

Poor doggy...

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From Reuters News:

China trains 'fishing militia' to sail into disputed waters

Why are Chinese railways fishing for militia? Oh... I see!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Olympian 'drove drunk with shotgun'

I did not think it was weird until I saw that the report came out of Australia. I really expected the US to sweep the medals in the Driving-Drunk-With-Shotgun event.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

My local paper provided this thought-provoking headline this morning:

Rent of D.A.'s ex-wife probed

I had no idea you even could rent a D.A.'s ex-wife! I think I'll have one at my next party!

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Americans to buy Swansea

Why on earth they would want it I'm not sure.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From Reuters:

Oxford museum exhibits roast under newly cleaned glass roof

Not some historical 'roast' exhibited (whatever that might be!), but just some very high temperatures in the Oxford University Museum of Natural History. A bit disappointing. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Telegraph:

"Woman left in bathroom as baby attempts to find birth mother with help of Facebook."

O cruel (but clearly very computer-literate) baby.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tragedy of the Commas:

quote:
For one Friday every month in 2016, the Pope visits people who have suffered as part of his Holy Year of Mercy.
(Channel 4 News Facebook page)

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

From the Telegraph: "Punch and Judy booth to close after 130 years because puppeteer is fed up with kids throwing rocks at him."

I'm amazed he put up with it for so long.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

From the BBC today:

Star snapped before and after explosion

Charlie Sheen just can't stay out of the headlines, can he?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

This is rather poetic:

Pastor Who Believes God Punishes Gays for Their Sins With Floods Has Home Destroyed by Flood

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Proof indeed of the existence of God.

Quoting from the linked article:

quote:
Perkins was forced to escape by canoe earlier this week when water poured into his southern Louisiana home.
What? You mean he couldn't just walk on the water?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Another misplaced modifier on this morning's headline crawl on the local TV station I love to hate:

Sen. Jeff Flake says he can't vote for Trump on several interview programs this weekend.

Well of course not, Jeff. You have to go the polls to vote.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016