homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Famous Headlines of Weirdness (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Famous Headlines of Weirdness
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On this morning's TV news crawl: "The girl was brought to the hospital and is on life support."

Any particular girl, or should we draw a name out of a hat?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pain-relief poppies give disenchanted farmers a headache

From Australian's ABC. Sweet.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From some time back, my local rag had a story headed "Boy Heads for Transplant."

No girl heads available, alas.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Scientists Levitate Water Droplets, Figure Out What Drives 'Magical' Behavior'" (Live Science).

Has the Wizards' Union heard about this?
[Eek!]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rat on board causes flight to be cancelled

Surely a human would make the decision? Or was it a surfing rat and the pilots were laughing too hard? Was it a cheese board and planes aren't allowed to fly without cheddar? We'll never know...

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thai penis whitening trend raises eyebrows

{On BBC World News Asia section)

What the !*^!
[Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it was inevitable, since labia whitening is also a thing. (A thing to be sedulously avoided, let me assure you.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could certainly Google these phenomena and add to my ever-expanding fund of Useless-&-Disturbing Knowledge, but on reflection, I believe I'll pass. Please refrain from enlightening me further.

[Projectile]

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On these subjects ignorance is decidedly the better part. There are things which once learned cannot be unlearned!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should say so. Definitely Not Going There. [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I just looked at my Google News Feed. One box leads with:

Trump Overstates Size of Tax Cuts in Speech to Farmers attributed to the NY Times. Then, under the heading "Related Coverage" comes this headline: One-year-old girl attacked by family dog in Falmouth.

How the heck is that related coverage?? And it was also labelled "Highly Cited" and attributed to My Fox Boston.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
So I just looked at my Google News Feed. One box leads with:

Trump Overstates Size of Tax Cuts in Speech to Farmers attributed to the NY Times. Then, under the heading "Related Coverage" comes this headline: One-year-old girl attacked by family dog in Falmouth.

How the heck is that related coverage?? And it was also labelled "Highly Cited" and attributed to My Fox Boston.

"Falmouth" and "Foul-mouthed" don't sound so different. Maybe that's how they are related?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the crawl of this morning's news broadcast on one of our local TV stations, known for one illiterate blooper after another in the crawl (although I never thought they'd stoop to "idiot's apostrophe"):

Storm threatens California burn areas in it's way

Yes, I suppose storms do have their own unique way of threatening burn areas.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Googling the 19th-century US education reformer Horace Mann (as you do), I came across this headline from a couple days ago, apparently:

Ambulances called to Horace Mann Middle School for ill students

It's nice that there's a school for ill students. But I wonder why they needed to call an ambulance?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
On the crawl of this morning's news broadcast on one of our local TV stations, known for one illiterate blooper after another in the crawl (although I never thought they'd stoop to "idiot's apostrophe")

I worked at a TV station about 20 years ago, and became convinced that there are those who enter broadcast journalism because they can't read or write.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I wouldn't be surprised.

And on this morning's news:

Suspect in murder, massacre in court

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of **that** courtroom.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised.

And on this morning's news:

Suspect in murder, massacre in court

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of **that** courtroom.

The Marx brothers would make a whole movie based on that headline.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From BBC News:

Giant bat remains discovered in New Zealand

... despite its desperate struggle to hide again?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a chuckle from this one, on CBC news today:

Police Dog Easily Tracks Down Saint John Steak Thief

The article includes a quote from the Saint John police: "The steaks were recovered from the suspect. Probably not the best thing to be carrying when a determined police service dog is tracking you down."

Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
"The steaks were recovered from the suspect."

But were they recovered from the dog?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Trump's medical exam results:
quote:
Doctor: No heart, cognitive problems
Give that headline writer a Pulitzer.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
On Trump's medical exam results:
quote:
Doctor: No heart, cognitive problems
Give that headline writer a Pulitzer.
I love it!
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

SHUTDOWN BEGINS AS BILL FALTERS IN SENATE

Says the WaPo. Ok, but who is that Bill Falters guy?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's probably a cousin of our old friend Bill Posters. Now he seems to have gone quiet of late, so I suspect that he has not only finally been Prosecuted but locked up.

You may also recall Wol's distant relative Trespassers Will in "Winnie the Pooh".

[ 20. January 2018, 08:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
You may also recall Wol's distant relative Trespassers Will in "Winnie the Pooh".

Piglet's relative. Uncle, IIRC.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I didn't check!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Ah, I'm wrong. Piglet's grandfather was Trespassers W, short for Trespassers Will, which was short for Trespassers William. It was the grandfather who was named Trespassers after an uncle and William after Trespassers.

Source, chapter 3, In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, I'm wrong. Piglet's grandfather was Trespassers W, short for Trespassers Will, which was short for Trespassers William. It was the grandfather who was named Trespassers after an uncle and William after Trespassers.

Source, chapter 3, In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle.

[tangent]
Seeing as this is The Circus where important issues are discussed, and that you've raised Winnie the Pooh, I wish to assert that the best Expotition was to the North Pole, where this occurs as they are sneaking:

quote:
"Hush!" said Eeyore in a terrible voice to all Rabbit's friends-and-relations, and "Hush!" they said hastily to each other all down the line, until it got to the last one of all. And the last and smallest friend-and-relation was so upset to find that the whole Expotition was saying "Hush!" to him, that he buried himself head downwards in a crack in the ground, and stayed there for two days until the danger was over, and then went home in a great hurry, and lived quietly with his Aunt ever-afterwards. His name was Alexander Beetle.
I wondered for a very long time who Alex Beetle's aunt was, and my very own aunt assured me that Trespassers William had a wife, and this was the aunt in question. Her name was Theresa William. Debatable perhaps.
[/tangent]

[ 20. January 2018, 20:50: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, I'm wrong. Piglet's grandfather was Trespassers W ...

Indeed it was. We were thinking of getting a sign made for our house saying "Trespassers W".

[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I regularly walk past a house with that name. Almost as good as the house near a former home of mine which was named Pooh Corner. Not quite sure what the inhabitants were thinking but they named their son Christopher Robin. At least he'd never get lost.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

This has to win the Freudian Slip of the Year award"

Men's clinics report erectile dysfunction on the rise

Well, no, it isn't, and that's the problem, eh?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda: [Overused]

Just what I needed on a grim, grey Monday when I'm feeling grim and grey.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edmund reaches Australian open semi-finals

Lucy and the High King still stuck in Lantern Waste, however.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Camels banned from Saudi beauty contest over Botox.

linky

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Currently on BBC.com's "Most Read":

US tortured sibling 'bullied at school'

The article fails to explain why the US felt it necessary to torture a sibling who had been bullied at school. One assumes that it was done in the national defense, and that the school was located at Guantanamo Bay.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Broad Street is closed after a sinkhole appeared in the middle of the road - council, Fire Service, Thames Water looking into it
Can't tell if the wording is on purpose, but cue pictures of three men 'looking into' a hole.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Boris and the case of the ancient mummy

No, not something suggesting that our Foreign Secretary has taken to chasing 'cougar' women: rather that he appears to be a descendant of the famous "Mummy of Basel". The mummified remains of a woman discovered in Basel two years ago have been found to be those of Anna Catharina Bischoff, the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother of Boris Johnson.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Someone posted this on facebook today. It sounds like it could be about college football, but not...quite:

quote:
Satanic Temple Beats Missouri in Showdown Over Abortion Rights

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Someone posted this on facebook today. It sounds like it could be about college football, but not...quite:

quote:
Satanic Temple Beats Missouri in Showdown Over Abortion Rights

What was the score? 66-6?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

A classic one from the WaPo now:

Germans up in arms about weapons sales [...]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

On this morning's news:

Ebay to sever ties with Paypall [sic]

It's Paypal, dummies. A pall is something you put over a coffin at a funeral. It's true, however, that this may very well be the death knell for Paypal.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Huffpo:
A Behaviour Code In Parliament Will Help Curb Sexual Harassment But It Must Go Further
You mean the behaviour code, right? Please?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

On tonight's TV news:

Teen Shot by Shopping Center

Good Lord! It's not bad enough that lunatic yahoos roam around with guns. Now buildings do too. What's next -- the library?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On tonight's TV news:

Teen Shot by Shopping Center

Good Lord! It's not bad enough that lunatic yahoos roam around with guns. Now buildings do too. What's next -- the library?

"The only thing that stops a bad shopping center with a gun is a good shopping center with a gun."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a headline, in fact from the opposite end of an article.
A comments section remark in a piece about the disposal of a WWII bomb found in the Thames near the London City Airport.

It belongs in a MUSEUM! They should have blown it up in a museum.

Made me chuckle.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elon Musk’s Boring Company gets Hyperloop permit for NYC to DC

And I thought Mr Musk led exciting companies...

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016