homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the way this year is going, I wouldn't be surprised if it climaxes with David Attenborough, Mary Berry, Andy Murray and the Queen dying in a 4-way head-on car crash.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably the Queen's chauffeur and footman would survive? Seems unfair to include them.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Does anyone have Common Sense, Democracy or Hope? All three seem to have finally breathed their last.

How would you determine their ages?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No more encores of Suzanne everyone. Leonard Cohen has died at 82.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Democracy is comin..
To the USA!

[ 11. November 2016, 02:33: Message edited by: Jamat ]

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Napoleon Solo has died. So U.N.C.L.E. cannot save us.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And Napoleon Solo has died. So U.N.C.L.E. cannot save us.

More importantly, the last of the Magnificent Seven is no more.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now Leon Russell has died aged 74.
I had him on my list a while ago, but not this year.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Now Leon Russell has died aged 74.
I had him on my list a while ago, but not this year.

Sad but inevitable in a way. In his earlier days he was the twin of my brother, who died earlier this year.

RIP Leon: you can accompany Joe Cocker in Heaven's everlasting Rock Festival.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwen Ifill is reporting the news to the angels, now. [Tear]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
William Trevor has died. A very fine writer.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe not hugely well know but Craig Gill had died. He was the drummer with Inspiral Carpets, who had some fantastic songs, including This is How it Feels, which still blows me away.

He was only 44.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Florence Henderson has joined the Heavenly Bunch.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC is saying Fidel Castro has died.

Since they posted that 3 minutes ago, maybe it would be good to confirm it.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WaPo is saying the same thing.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fidel Castro would be the fourth from Gwai's list this year. Is that a record? I don't recall anyone getting four in any previous years.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten points for five people.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another despot bites the dust [Snigger] I knew this was going to pay off sooner or later.

(I got four a few years back)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I play on another board, and one player, the lead, has had nine out of their thirteen die. Now that's creepy.

They didn't pick Fidel though.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling I might have had him in previous years*, but not this year. Does that mean I killed him? [Paranoid]

* probably on my "isn't he dead yet?" list

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

As mentioned in All Saints, Ron glass - Shepherd Book in Firefly - has died.

A fantastic example of Christian presence in the real world.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As mentioned in All Saints, Ron Glass - Shepherd Book in Firefly - has died.

According to Wikipedia, he was a Buddhist.
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Confused]

His character I mean, whose faith was never defined. But he was an example of how to be spiritual in the fact of difficult circumstances.

My bad - I expressed this badly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

His character I mean, whose faith was never defined. But he was an example of how to be spiritual in the fact of difficult circumstances.

I only knew him from Barney Miller -- I'm not familiar with Firefly.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rather bummed that Ron Glass has died. I loved his character on Barney Miller. And I saw him in a few other things, although not Firefly.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

From one of the episodes:

quote:
Zoë (on seeing Book grab a shotgun): Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Always loved that line. Ron Glass played the part so well. RIP.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

"I'm not familiar with Firefly". You are dead to me. Dead, you hear?

Hedgehog - probably his best line. His was one of the stories that I really missed getting fully explored and understood. I think this represents a person with a deep spirituality, but who also knew how to handle a gun, was not scared by the gritty real world. I don't think he ever sold out to either side.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grant Tinker has died. He was the producer of many good and/or great TV series over the years. And, when head of NBC, he showed patience with series--even if they started with low ratings (such as "Cheers" and "Hill Street Blues"), if the concept was good he would give the series time to find its audience. As I have had many favorite series get summarily cancelled over the years, I appreciated his approach.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

When will the 2017 game start? I love the morbidness! I've run death pools on two other boards and it's a blast!

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can speak English. I learn it from a book.

Thank you for the laughs, Andrew Sachs.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I can speak English. I learn it from a book.

Thank you for the laughs, Andrew Sachs.

Oh no! Some of his skits could have me ROTFLMAO.

[Tear]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

A real loss. He was awesome as Manuel, of course, but he also did lots of voiceover work (which he was excellent at). When you hear that work, you realise just how hard he was working for Manuel.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Que?

RIP Manuel. [Tear]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a big article about him in our newspaper today. Apparently, he died late November, but his funeral was this week
Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we're into Advent, shouldn't the 2017 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool be launching right about now? I'm concerned that my preferred candidates... umm I mean... "selections" might opt out before I get them in!

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I know nothing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it probably should. Time to pull out your lists of vile terrorists and celebrity gossip!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the score by the way?

In the interest of settling this in the... appropriate way, may I point out that Mullah Akhtar Mansour is now widely considered dead, including by Wikipedia. Wikipedia holds his birth year as being circa 1968.

May I also plead the case that Mokhtar Belmokhtar scorewise be included in this year's reapings, as he was only removed from the U.S. Justice Dept.'s Rewards for Justice list in January this year, thus confirming his death which may or may not (with admittedly a heavy lean to the former [Biased] ) have occured in 2015? As he was suspected to have died in 2015 but without a confirmation, putting him on my 2016 list was apparently allowed. What would our eminent judge say on a special case such as this?

(What do you mean this is a blatant, overly competitive call-out for more points in a silly game on a website for faith and humour? All I want is a little bit of justice! [Razz] )

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think from previous years, you are allowed to have any one who is not confirmed dead. However, the actual date/year of death is what is taken, when sufficient evidence its identified.

In the name of Justice, of course.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For another example Raoul Wallenberg who was widely believed to have died somewhere in the 50s, has just had his death confirmed and listed as 1952, per The Economist who ran an obituary on him a few weeks back.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by An die Freude:
What's the score by the way?

Well, I've got zero. It isn't competitive, but it is easy to keep track of.

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
For another example Raoul Wallenberg who was widely believed to have died somewhere in the 50s, has just had his death confirmed and listed as 1952, per The Economist who ran an obituary on him a few weeks back.

Wouldn't have given you many points though... (Wallenberg was born in 1912.)

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The Green Hornet has stung his last villain.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Peter Vaughan (aka Grouty, from Porridge) has now served his life sentence.

[ 06. December 2016, 12:33: Message edited by: Sipech ]

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The Voice of Lord's (Johnny Dennis) has been silenced.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helen Roseveare has died. I hadn't realised she was still alive. I read "Give Me This Mountain" when I was a very new Christian in my teens.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Emerson Lake & Palmer reunion is looking increasingly threadbare.

Random observation - apparently Emerson was a huge Bonzo Dog Band fan, and was on the same physical mailing list as me until he died.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love "I believe in Father Christmas", although it must be the most cynical Christmas song ever.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I love "I believe in Father Christmas", although it must be the most cynical Christmas song ever.

It is one of the vanishingly few Christmas songs I can listen to. Although I think Fairytale might beat it for cynicism.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016