homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also Cliff Michelmore who come into the I Can't Believe He Was Still Alive category.

I hope St Peter took on extra staff at the start of this year, because he has been stupidly busy.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul Daniels has died.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35835777

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A workmate of Darllenwr's pointed out that you never saw Paul Daniels and Cliff Mitchelmore on screen at the same time...(I suppose there was some facial likeness)
I'm another one who thought Cliff Mitchelmore had died some years ago.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Fuck. Naná Vasconcelos. A friend of mine.

I enjoyed his work with Don Cherry. My condolences.
Paint this Canadian somewhat confused by that last name. Learned something tonight.
[Biased]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Fuck. Naná Vasconcelos. A friend of mine.

I enjoyed his work with Don Cherry. My condolences.
Paint this Canadian somewhat confused by that last name. Learned something tonight.
[Biased]

And just so the non-Canucks understand what a mind-blower that confusion could be...

"I'm wearin' pink for all you pinkos"

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Og - I thought "that Don Cherry - he of the loud suits and wee dog?".

Google is my friend ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Venerable character actor Joe Santos joins the heavenly detective bureau.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barry Hines - author of Kes and Threads - has died.

Kes was just a superb piece of work, beautifully written and filmed.

Threads - possibly the most frightening thing ever shown on TV.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The former mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, has died at a very young 46.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have had him on my list as we all pretty much knew this would happen this year. Young kids too. Had issues with him as a politician and a person but no matter. Praying for him and his family. [Votive]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did nobody have him on their list? I should have thought of him instead of all those Kardashians.

As several people said on my Facebook, Ford's death is a reminder to all of to always try to be your best self, since we never know when our time is up and people will be stuck with a memory of us based on the last few things we did.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had him on my list. I didn't even know he was ill - I just thought he looked generally unhealthy, so took a punt. I'm sad to hear of this. 46 is far too young.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was quite a punt, Cottontail! He certainly looked like a heart attack waiting to happen, but I would have thought he was older than 46.

As others have said, even if you didn't agree with his politics or approve of his lifestyle, that's way before his time.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry for double-post.

I've just discovered from FB posts that Mr. Ford had cancer, so my 'heart-attack" theory was mistaken.

RIP.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry that Rob Ford wasn't given the gift of life folks on my lists usually receive. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baseball player and broadcaster Joe Garagiola has died at age 90.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dutch footballing legend Johan Cruyff has died of cancer, aged 68.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Dutch footballing legend Johan Cruyff has died of cancer, aged 68.

Quite how that Dutch side didn't win in '74 will forever be a mystery. With the players they had they should have beaten anyone, even on a bad day.

Cruyff was something special though, even in that company.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sioni Sais: Quite how that Dutch side didn't win in '74 will forever be a mystery.
A German player threw himself to the ground and the referee gave them a penalty.

Cruijff's death is a rather big deal.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Screen Actors Guild now has representation on a higher plane, Ken Howard has died.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comedian Garry Shandling has died at a Los Angeles hospital at age 66.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No longer concerned about the whereabouts of any wallet; Malik Taylor, aka Phife Dog, of a Tribe Called Quest.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wanted to put some Cruyffianisms here:
  • "Every disadvantage has its advantage"
  • "If we have the ball, then they can't score a point"
  • "Before I make a mistake, I'm not making that mistake"
  • "You only see it when you get it"
  • "If I wanted you to understand it, I'd explain it better"
  • "It's better to go down with your own vision than with someone else's vision"
Rest in peace, you rascal.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At this rate there won't be anyone famous left by the end of the year.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
At this rate there won't be anyone famous left by the end of the year.

Except for most of those we nominated between us.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Legends of the Fall author Jim Harrison joins the afterworld writing pool.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Global Catholic Network founder Mother Mary Angelica has died at 92, on Easter Sunday.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Lordy, on Easter Sunday of all days!

I think we have someone in Hanceville. A MW report of her funeral would make a fitting Report No. 3000.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father, in the hospital on Easter Sunday(35 years ago) after having a heart attack the day before, coded, and had to be revived. He said that if he'd died there couldn't have been a better day for it.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Actress Patty Duke has died at only 69.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's goodbye from him [Frown]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Another one gone A really sad loss.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
And it's goodbye from him [Frown]

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Possibly the best comedy double act ever to grace the BBC.

There'll be laughter in Heaven.

RIP Mr. Corbett. [Votive]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think she was on anybody's list, but renowned architect Dame Zaha Hadid has died suddenly aged 65.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Douglas Wilmer has hung up his deerstalker.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I have zero interest in country music, but even I have heard of Merle Haggard, who just died at 79.

--------------------
~Tortuf

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bakersfield sound. [Tear]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not on my baseball-themed list for reasons that will soon be obvious, but Mike Sandlock has died.

His most recent claim to fame was that he was the oldest living former major league baseball player. He turned 100 on October 17, 2015. So no points.

Although Sandlock did play for the then-Brooklyn Dodgers, he was in the minor leagues in 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke into the major leagues. However, Sandlock was in spring training with Robinson that year trying to make the team--and he was one of the Dodger players who refused to sign a petition opposing Robinson's presence on the team.

In addition, in the minors he played with another Negro Leaguer, Roy Campanella. Campanella credited Sandlock (who, like Campanella, was a catcher) with helping Campanella on his throwing motion so that he could throw runners out at second better. Campy would go on to the majors and eventually be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another end of an era. The last native-born resident of St Kilda has died.

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

I hadn't heard of him myself but it seems a lot of joints will be lit in his membory.

Howard Marks has died at 70, from cancer.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/10/howard-marks-dies-aged-70

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

Forgot to add to above, that two players have him on their lists here.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baker:
Forgot to add to above, that two players have him on their lists here.

My first points of the year!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New Yorker cartoonist William Hamilton has died in a car crash, at 76.

One that I remember fondly is of a typical well-upholstered clubman telling his cronies, "It seems that there must be some other Bart Simpson in town."

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

David Gest has died.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hymn writer Father Ernest Sands has committed suicide. He composed 'Sing of the Lord’s Goodness'

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2016/04/14/ernest-sands-rip/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blake has left the galaxy.

I always remember a line from Clive James review - 'the actors stride through sets costing several pounds shouting things like 'Reverse all thrusts!''

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Earnest Sands death sounds like a real tragedy. Always sad when someone takes their own life.

Gareth Thomas was superb in B7 - he kept the others together, and made that series what it was. It was a ground-breaking series, and I think Firefly was inspired by it (to an extent).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK railways have just become more dangerous because the Mind the Gap man has died.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was just coming to post about him. What a wonderfully soothing voice he had.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016