homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Kelly:
quote:
The only way I could respond at all was to pretend to be Southern.
[Big Grin]
Ah. I totally didn't recognize the accent!!!
My bad!

[Edited for top of page]

[ 07. September 2016, 23:26: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kudos to Kelly for finding the right tone of response for The Circus.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of Southern, The Diva, the Doll, the Grand Empress of Savannah has gone to the great cabaret

A sincere " God bless her" for that one.

[ 09. September 2016, 16:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed that Fred Hellerman of The Weavers died 01 Sept. The last one of the group. If you don't recognize who he or The Weavers are, you do know some of their songs and bandmate Pete Seeger.

Done bin around done stayed around this old town too long. Summer's almost gone

[ 11. September 2016, 16:44: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No need to fear Virginia, Edward Albee flies above the reach of all Tall Women.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
No need to fear Virginia, Edward Albee flies above the reach of all Tall Women.

I heard him speak at our local university 10 or 12 years ago and was, I'm sorry to say, quite disappointed with him as a speaker. In fact, I dozed off.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tragic news from the Paralympics that elite cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad has died after a crash whilst competing.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Desmond Tutu is in the hospital again.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/17/africa/desmond-tutu-in-hospital/

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baker:

[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I fervently hope he provides no points on this board.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
W. P. Kinsella, who wrote the book that was filmed as "Field of Dreams," is now walking among the corn rows.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Votive]
alas, he has been reported dead.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Posted 2 hours ago. do not rush this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it! I just googled "Dsmond Tutu".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very glad to hear he is still with us.

Oftentimes, when people say someone is "courageous" they mean that person stood up to angry opposition, against enormous odds. That is correct, but...

When I think of Desmond Tutu being courageous, I remember a video in which he plunged into a screaming mob of people to rescue a man who was about to be murdered. A tire("necklace") had been put around his neck and was to be lighted with gasoline.

The crowd could just as easily turned on Tutu as well. But he saved a man's life, at the risk of his own. That takes a lot of guts.

Get well, Archbishop.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

He is an amazing man. All that he's been through, and he still maintains his delightful sense of humor.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Back when I was a small child (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I remember my father watching golf on television* and Arnold Palmer was one of the major players. He has died at 87. His other claim to fame was a drink named for him.

*Watching golf on television has got to be the MOST boring thing imaginable!

--------------------
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Tied with cricket.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it and that usually means that you must have played it, if only at a recreational level. If you don't understand it then you can't appreciate the link beteen effort and outcome and it's fair to say that in golf and cricket the link is often subtle.

Anyway, back to the main man: I first became aware of golf in he late sixties when Gary Player and the new kid on the block one Jack Nicklaus formed a trinity with Arnie - anyone getting amongst them in a major could feel proud. I always felt Arnold Palmer was the leader.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it and that usually means that you must have played it, if only at a recreational level. If you don't understand it then you can't appreciate the link beteen effort and outcome and it's fair to say that in golf and cricket the link is often subtle.

What's there to understand about golf? (I have played it.) You hit a ball with a stick until it goes into a hole and repeat 17 more times. The only thing more boring than playing it is watching it.
[Snore]

Cricket is certainly a game that has to be understood to be enjoyed... but understanding it is impossible, especially for most Americans.
[Razz]

--------------------
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it
Playing and watching are two different things.
And one can understand a sport and still find it boring. Freddy Flintoff said he thought cricket was boring and he bloody brilliant at it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Former Israeli PM and president Shimon Peres has died aged 93.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

Sir Neville Marriner has died.

The real day the music dies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37535272

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Sir Neville Marriner has died.

[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Rod Temperton now finds Sweet Freedom.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He won't be on anyone's list, but one of Scotland's finest musicians, Angus Grant from Shooglenifty, has died aged 49.

Heartbroken [Waterworks]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Leorning Cniht has picked up 12 points for the passing of the king of Thailand, Bhumibol Adulyadej after 70 years of rule.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had King Bhumibol as well. I told you picking despots was starting to pay off . [Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not given any scores updates for a while so here goes.

Since my last report we have lost seven names on our lists: Jenny Diski, Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour, Muhammed Ali, Caroline Aherne, Elie Wiesel, Islam Karimov & King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Twenty one Shipmates have yet to score and of the twenty who have, top of the tree is Gwai on 84 points with jedijudy & Cottontail joint second on 80.

Gwai and Light User share the lead for "Quantity Not Quality" with three each. Loads of people are on two.

Gwai really owns this game because she also has top spot in the "Why Does It Always Happen To Me?" category. Her two points are one ahead of Piglet and me.

Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour, apart from having a ridiculously long name, is giving some uncertainty because his date of birth isn't certain. I have used 1/1/68 for 52 points but it could be as early as 1963. Two shipmates are affected but neither are on the podium so they wouldn't fall off it if his date of birth is less kind.

Full points to follow in a bit.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1: Gwai 84 points (Harper Lee, Muhammed Ali & Martin Crowe)
2: Cottontail 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
2: jedijudy 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
4: Light User 75 points (Eric Lubbock, Howard Marks & Jenny Diski)
5: North East Quine 58 points (Muhammed Ali & Johan Cruyf)
6: Pomona 54 points (Nancy Reagan & Caroline Aherne)
7: Cod 52 points (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
7: An die Freude 52 points (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
9: Spike 48 points (Caroline Aherne)
10: Sandemaniac 47 points (Martin Crowe)
11: Leorning Chiht 38 points (Muhammed Ali & King Bhumibol Adulyadej)
12: la vie en rouge 34 points (King Bhumibol Adulyadej & Islam Karimov)
13: Tree Bee 30 points (Howard Marks)
14: Auntie Doris 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
14: Mamacita 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
14: St. Glwadys 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
17: balaam 15 points (Ronnie Cornett)
18: The Rogue 13 points (Elie Wiesel)
19: Kyzyl 11 points (Harper Lee)
19: Sipech 11 points (Harper Lee)

ETA Apologies that there has been six months since the last update: I will try to do the next one a bit sooner.

[ 15. October 2016, 21:50: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like being another year of abject failure on my part [Waterworks]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that's another year of the Kiss of Life™, Wodders! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe that it looks like I will have kept all the Kardashians and their hangers-on alive for another year.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest, it looks as if I'm heading for nul points too.

Oh well, there's always next year.

By the way, did anyone have Jean Alexander, better known as Hilda Ogden from Coronation Street and Auntie Wainwright from Last of the Summer Wine?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

So I'm propping up the table. The Sunderland of death pickers.

Is it really bad that I have a draft list for next year? I got bored one afternoon and just started jotting down names.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us are in a lower division.

I keep a list with possibilities on all year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Dillon , comic books artist on Hellblazer, Punisher and co-creator of Preacher, has died. Far too young. So sad.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Perry - one of the great comedy writers - has died. Dad's Army is one of his best known creations, but there were other series as well. It ain't half hot mum was one of my favourites (although I accept that it was politically somewhat racist).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what is happening this year. From last year when 2 pople who I'd dropped from my 2014 list died I believed I provided the Kiss of Life.

Sadly for Ronnie Corbett I seem to have lost my touch.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Longtime Progressive Activist Tom Hayden Dies At 76.

[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Pete Burns of the band Dead or Alive has transitioned from the latter to the former.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sherri S.Tepper , veteran SF writer of 'Grass' and 'The Gate to Women's Country', has died.

I'm starting to worry that the Grim Reaper is working his way along my bookshelf. [Frown]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

As has been noted elsewhere, Jack Chick has died. And facing the truth of how twisted his view was.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now Bobby Vee has sung his last.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this is...eerie.

A couple of minustes ago, on a total whim, I decided to check if John Zacherle was still alive. Check the time and date of his departure.

I only knew him from hearing his novelty song Dinner With Drac on one of those compilation albums, and from a few You Tube videos I found while researching the song on a nostalgia kick. I gather he more or less invented the standard persona of the late-night horror movie host.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rest in peace, Zacherle. His Chiller Theater was mandatory Saturday night TV watching when I was in high school.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Janet Reno, the first female U.S. attorney general, won't live to see our first female President.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have lost Sir Jimmy Young, the man who stood for everything good about BBC Radio 2. He set a very high standard, especially for his lunchtime interview and phone-in show, when all sorts of crackpots called in, and his successors haven't come near. The BBC dismissed him from his day job at 80, for which he eventually forgave them.

Oh, and he had Top 10 hits back in the 1950's, including two number ones.

You'll get five points if you had him on your list.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

And we have also lost another Radio 2 favourite - the Old Woman.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Does anyone have Common Sense, Democracy or Hope? All three seem to have finally breathed their last.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016