homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The Only Real Game: Baseball 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Only Real Game: Baseball 2016
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'm no baseball historian but wasn't the era of CG's a time when the ball was subject to far more abuse, eg the spitball and emeryball, which all gave pitchers an advantage?

Yes, the dead ball era- there are all sorts of pitching records from that era that will never be broken. There are a number of theories for what changed, and many focus on the way that the ball could be treated by the pitcher. The spitball and other ball tampering techniques were banned, and after a player was fatally beaned by a ball that was so dirty that he could not see it, they began changing out balls every time they got just a little scuffed or dirty.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is the lowest number of pitches in a complete game? I've found record of a 58!

Yes, that would be the record. Here is the boxscore, with some commentary. As it mentions, the next fewest was 67 pitches. Addie Joss pitched a perfect game in 74 pitches.

In the very early years, I think CGs happened simply because it never occurred to anybody to switch the pitcher out anymore than one would think to change the 3rd baseman during a game. Absent injury, the pitcher was expected to pitch the whole game. The invention of the "reliever" was considered an innovation. I've read about it somewhere, but cannot remember where.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Double post but, well, you know me. Dog-with-bone on these things.

Here is a good article presenting a brief history of pitcher usage. Lots of interesting stuff in it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Hedgehog. Fascinating stuff. I noted with regret that the Giants passed on the opportunity to have three consecutive CGs. By the end of the 8th, Samardzija had retired the last 19 bats he faced, but he'd clocked 105 pitches. So -- in came Casilla to close, successfully. Bochy was probably being wise.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Arrieta brings the Giants' 8 game winning streak to an end tonight. All good things come to an end ...

[ 20. May 2016, 21:41: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arrietta v Peavy never looked like a contest and so it proved! I was surprised that Bochy kept Peavy in the starting rotation and I think he'll be taken off that rotation pretty soon now. An ERA of over 8 tells you all you need to know.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Arrietta v Peavy never looked like a contest and so it proved! I was surprised that Bochy kept Peavy in the starting rotation and I think he'll be taken off that rotation pretty soon now. An ERA of over 8 tells you all you need to know.

Didn't Bochy bring him over from the Padres? Maybe he's keeping him out of a sense of loyalty.

In other news, THIS is an abomination. While it makes perfect sense to not actually go through four pitches when will I get a chance to boo the pitcher when he does it- unless my team does it which is perfectly understandable and totally okay. I don't see how this will speed up the game significantly anyway. If they want to speed up the game they should limit the number of relievers. That is a major time suck. Plus, this is baseball- why fiddle around with our traditions?

Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm not sure that fiddling about with the strike zone is all that clever, either. Part of the pitcher's art is finding out whether the umpire normally calls a small strike zone or a large one.

I suppose one could use technology (rather like they do in tennis for line calls) to provide a standardised strike zone. But I'm not in favour. I think that mucks around with the traditions of the game as well.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

And, to combine the two themes, forcing a pitcher to throw 4 pitches wide for an intentional walk has been known to get them off rhythm and then they can't find the strike zone with the next batter.

Of course, the strike zone has been fiddled with before. What usually happens is that, for a short time, the umps will attempt to enforce the new rule...then they go back to calling it the way they always have. If they went electronic, we wouldn't get that.

And, honestly, I like when an ump starts expanding the strike zone a little to get the batters to swing more. That actually hearkens back to the original concept of the called strike, which was just any ball that the umpire thought the batter should have swung at.

In more worrisome news, in today's Cincinnati-Pittsburgh game, the Pirates pitcher, Ryan Vogelsong, was hit in the head by a pitch (while he was batting--he didn't hit his own head with a pitch!). They have taken him to the hospital to be checked out. It clearly was not intentional--the bases were loaded and so hitting him drove a run in.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm baffled by Bochy's attachment to Peavy. I expected him to be let go after the 2014 season, when he was brought in to fill a gap in the rotation and filled it with stunning mediocrity. Why he was kept around last year is a puzzle, and why the Giants hung onto him this year rather than taking one more chance on Lincecum even more so.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I was saying... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, Jake Peavy has definitely picked up and pitched very well for 6 innings against the Dodgers in his latest win The Giants are having a good season so far, despite the losses through injury.

I visited AT&T park 11 years ago, saw a great, close, game. It's a beautiful venue and also a very challenging one for the players. Particularly in afternoon games when the sun is shining. The food was good too! Recent TV coverage in the UK has got me quite nostalgic. Not sure I'll ever get back, but I can dream ...

[ 14. June 2016, 07:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish there was a way to shut Pete Rose up.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

So we are roughly halfway through the season. If the playoffs started right now (realizing that there are games going on as I type this that might change the rankings), the playoffs in the American League would involve:

Texas Rangers
Cleveland Indians
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
Detroit Tigers (just by a whisker over Toronto Blue Jays)

In the National League, it would be:

Chicago Cubs
San Francisco Giants
Washington Nationals
La Dodgers
NY Mets

In the NL, with the exception of the Cubbies, it looks like the usual suspects. There is a little more of an interesting blend over in the AL.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

As a fan of the first and second place NL teams I am a bit worried. It doesn't seem as if either team are consistently good against halfway decent teams.
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy to see the Blue Jays bats coming alive.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even happier to see the Bucs over .500 again! Let's keep it that way.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I'm reviving the thread because we are getting close to the playoffs! How do I know? Because the Minnesota Twins (51-87) are almost eliminated from the playoff hunt. They are officially eliminated from winning their division, and with one more loss they will be eliminated from the wild card hunt.

Other teams have been eliminated from winning their respective divisions. These include: Atlanta, Milwaukee and Cincinnati. Atlanta's elimination number for the wild card is 7 (the Reds are at 12 and Brewers at 14).

The Cubbies have the best record by far (89-48--the next closest is Texas at 82-56) and their magic number for clinching the division stands at 10. Texas and Washington are next closest to clinching, with a magic number of 17.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Believe it or not I am still watching the Pirates, but right now it is painful. We may get a winning season but post-season doesn't look likely.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Cubbies have the best record by far
... which makes some of us quite happy. (I don't post here much because I can't speak too intelligently about the game ... but boy, are they fun to watch this year!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to worry, sports fans; the Nats and Cubs both have a whole entire postseason to epically choke and disappoint us all once again.

Did I mention that I used to be a bit of a casual Cubs fan before (and even after) I lived in DC? One day, a team I support will win something.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
One day, a team I support will win something.

Glory hunter. [Biased]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A win! The Pirates win one after an eight game losing streak!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
One day, a team I support will win something.

Glory hunter. [Biased]
Still slightly sad that Arsenal won a trophy.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

After the weekend, the field has narrowed somewhat.

Two teams are officially completely eliminated from the playoffs: Twins & Braves.

There are now ten teams who are eliminated from winning their respective divisions: Twins, Braves, Angles, A's, Phillies, Pirates, Brewers, Reds, Padres and Diamondbacks.

Tampa Bay is on the cusp of elimination.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Two more teams are officially eliminated from the playoffs: Tampa Bay Rays & LA Angels. The Oakland A's are hanging by a thread (and Arizona and San Diego hanging by a thread that is only just slightly thicker).

But we now have are first official playoff team. The Chicago Cubs have won the NL Central title. Probably nobody else will clinch their division this weekend. The Nationals' magic number is 7, while the Rangers' number is 8. Cleveland is at 11, La Dodgers at 13 and Boston at 15.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got there, one way or another...

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

This weekend should see more teams clinching their divisions. Texas and Washington almost certainly will clinch this weekend. For the remaining divisions, Boston, Cleveland and La Dodgers all could potentially clinch, but I rather doubt it. More likely they will clinch early next week.

The regular season ends October 2. It is possible, especially in the NL, that the wild card spots may force a tie-breaker game.

Hmmmm. Actually it is possible that the NL wild card will be a 3-way tie for two spots. I wonder, if that happens, if they would do a mini round robin tournament between the 3 teams? That could be a problem because that would probably delay the start of the playoffs in the NL.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

The regular season ends October 2. It is possible, especially in the NL, that the wild card spots may force a tie-breaker game.

Hmmmm. Actually it is possible that the NL wild card will be a 3-way tie for two spots. I wonder, if that happens, if they would do a mini round robin tournament between the 3 teams? That could be a problem because that would probably delay the start of the playoffs in the NL.

I believe a similar scenario looked likely a few years ago. MLB set up schedules for the various permutations even going so far as to agree with the sides that could be involved what would be done if the round robin didn't resolve matters!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
I believe a similar scenario looked likely a few years ago. MLB set up schedules for the various permutations even going so far as to agree with the sides that could be involved what would be done if the round robin didn't resolve matters!

Good memory! It was 2013 and the AL wild card was possibly heading to a 3-way tie. At the time, the solution was this:
quote:
Before Friday's contests, the Rays led the Indians by one game for the top spot, with the Rangers a game back of Cleveland for the second position. An eventual three-way tie would require two tiebreaker games -- one on Monday and one on Tuesday -- ahead of Wednesday's AL Wild Card Game.

The bottom line is this: The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner earning one of the berths. The loser would play at Texas on Tuesday for the final spot.

That schedule is the result of the Indians having the best combined record (7-5) against the Rays and Rangers, and therefore having the right to choose to host the first game. The Rays' combined record is second (7-6), and they chose to go on the road on Monday rather than host a game on Tuesday. The Rangers (5-8) were left with only that option.

So you look at the head-to-head records of the three teams. You pray that those are not tied. Then the top 2 teams from that play each other. Loser then plays again against Team 3 (with the worst record). Or, in other words, Team 1 & Team 2 will get up to two chances to win the wild card spot, while Team 3 only gets one shot at it.

I guess that sort-of works. It would preserve the playoff schedule. This year the regular season ends October 2. The NL Wild Card game is October 5, so the tie-breakers could be played on October 3 & 4.

If I have time, I will look up the head-to-head records for the teams in question: Giants, Mets & Cardinals.

Actually, I just re-checked the AL Wild Card standings. They have a chance of a 3-way tie as well. That is a little more problematic because the AL Wild Card game is scheduled for October 4, leaving them only one day between the end of the regular season and start of the playoffs. I think they would probably have to postpone the Wild Card game to October 5 to allow the tie-breaker games to be played. That is not too horrible. I mean, that's what they would do if there was a rain-out of the Wild Card game on October 4.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

So, in head-to-head games, the Mets and Cardinals are both 7-6, while the Giants are 6-8.

So, if all three are tied at the end of the regular season, the Mets & Cardinals would play on October 3. The winner would win a WC spot. The loser would then play the Giants, with the winner of that game getting the last WC spot.

Because they have the same head-to-head record, Home field between Mets & Cardinals will be decided by (I think) their records against their own division. So the Cards vs. NL Central and the Mets versus NL East. There are still plenty of divisional games to play, so that is not settled yet, but right now St. Louis has the lead.

Either way, the Giants will NOT be playing at home.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I have been struggling all day with how to post this.

It is the end of the season. The playoffs are coming. It should be a fun, exciting time for those who love baseball.

And then tragedy happens.

I didn't really start crying until I read about his girlfriend.

RIP Jose Fernandez.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Terribly sad. And the part about him defecting from Cuba as a teen... tragic.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

A truly remarkable game was played in Miami last night.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Cubs win their 100th game in regular season play - the first time since 1935. A milestone!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

We are heading into the last weekend of the regular season. The division winners are all decided (Boston, Cleveland, Texas, Washington, Cubs and La Dodgers).

The wild card spots are still up in the air, although it is possible that the NL wildcard will be settled tonight. The AL wildcard cannot be settled until Saturday at the earliest.

And the Yankees are officially eliminated from playoff contention, which is evidence of a kind and loving God.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

There are a few games to go but right now ten AL team have winning records while only six NL teams do.

Is that evidence that the American League is stronger or does the (spit) Lardarse/Designated Hitter* rule have an effect after all?

*Gotta be careful using DH here.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
There are a few games to go but right now ten AL team have winning records while only six NL teams do.

Is that evidence that the American League is stronger or does the (spit) Lardarse/Designated Hitter* rule have an effect after all?

*Gotta be careful using DH here.

I think the only way to know that is to compare the win-loss ratio of inter-league play when an AL team is hosting. In all other cases the playing field is level, so to speak, in regards to the use of the DH. There are a lot of bad teams in the NL this year.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I don't think it is all that easy to compare. In overall interleague play, the AL won 164 games while the NL won 133. In those games, the AL scored 1418 runs versus the NL's 1305 runs. But, of course, all of that only suggests that AL teams are better than NL teams, without necessarily pointing to the DH as a factor. After all, half of those games were played by NL rules (no DH). And for the half that were played by AL rules, the NL teams were using a DH. Thus, even looking just at the win % of interleague games in the AL would not really focus on the effect of the DH.

It is rare to have a team with a DH play against a team without a DH, which would be the real comparison. Although I seem to recall that there were a couple of games this year when an NL team (Giants perhaps?) decided to keep the pitcher in the lineup when playing an AL team, because the pitcher was hitting pretty well. I forget the results of those games.

One would think that, if the DH were a potent factor, then in general NL pitchers would look better compared to AL pitchers (because the poor AL pitchers have to face the DH more often than the NL pitcher). The info on this comparison is a little curious.

If you are a believer in the "Wins Against Replacement" (WAR) measure (and I am not yet a believer), then it is almost a wash. The 5 best pitcher WAR from the AL:
  • Kluber, 6.5
    Verlander, 6.3
    Tanaka, 5.5
    Sale, 5.2
    Quintana, 5.2
By comparison, the 5 best pitcher WAR from the NL:
  • Scherzer, 6.5
    Cueto, 5.7
    Lester, 5.6
    Kershaw, 5.5
    Roark, 5.3

So the best in both leagues has a 6.5 WAR. The second place pitcher is more dominant in the AL (6.3 to 5.7), but the 3rd through 5th spots favor the NL. So, really, it all seems pretty even.

On the other hand, if you just look at ERA, then it is pretty clear that the AL has the more potent offense. Looking at Team ERA, the 5 lowest ERAs are all NL teams. (However, 4 of the next 5 lowest are AL teams, so it starts evening out again.) Nevertheless, the higher ERAs of the AL teams suggests that offense is more potent in the AL, and that might be attributed to the DH.

But even then, it might just reflect that the NL does not have many great batters. Here is a list of the top 10 "offensive WAR" (to factor out players who get WAR points for defense). As you will see, 7 out of the 10 are in the AL. I also added in parentheses the number of games this year that they played as the DH. As you will see, these top oWAR players in the AL only occasionally played DH.
  • Trout (AL) 9.8 (8)
    Altuve (AL) 7.8 (11)
    Donaldson (AL) 7.3 (19)
    Bryant (NL) 6.6 (1)
    Correa (AL) 6.4 (0)
    Dozier (AL) 6.2 (2)
    C. Seager (NL) 6.2 (0)
    Betts (AL) 6.1 (0)
    Cano (AL) 5.8 (4)
    D. Murphy (NL) 5.7 (1)
So this suggests that the offense is better in the AL, but that the best offensive players are not normally playing as the DH. Thus, although I think it is fair to say that AL teams tend to be better than NL teams, I do not think you can jump to the conclusion that it is because of the DH.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The playoff picture is set. From the AL, we have the Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays (so 3 of the 5 playoff teams came from the AL East division). From the NL, we have the Chicago Cubs, Washington Nationals, LA Dodgers, NY Mets and SF Giants.

On Tuesday, the Orioles and Blue Jays will play a one-game elimination match. The winner will then get an AL Divisional Series (ALDS) against the Rangers, starting on Thursday. The other ALDS, also starting on Thursday, will be Red Sox v. Indians.

On Wednesday, the Giants and Mets will play a one-game elimination match. The winner will have the joy of going into an NLDS against the Cubbies, starting on Friday. The other NLDS, also starting Friday, will be between the Dodgers and Nationals.

The Divisional Series are Best-of-5 series.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Hoping for a Baltwash Series...

Realistically, though...well, if the Nats can just keep things together and not choke like every Washington team always does when the playoffs come around, they might actually clench the division. They've been on form as a team, even if some key players have been a bit off, and have been holding off their traditional late-season meltdown...we'll see.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Madbum v Syndergaard looks like an epic Wild Card shootout. I'm picking Bumgarner to do a number on the Mets.

But after that, the Cubbies? Not sure my Giants have much chance of beating them, even if we do win the Wild Card. I know it's an even numbered year, but ....

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an exciting AL Wild Card game last night! Go, Blue Jays, Go!

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:

The "Balt" part of that just took a hit!

Yes, the AL Wild Card game was a great one. Blue Jays take the early lead, then Baltimore took the lead, then the teams were tied and remained so until the 11th inning. And then ending with a walk-off home run. Now THAT is how you do playoff baseball!

Giants-Mets tonight. That shows great potential too! I am not comfortable making any prediction of that game.

[typo edit]

[ 05. October 2016, 13:51: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

The "Balt" part of that just took a hit!

I'd be happy with a TorWash Series! The Nationals are, after all, the old Montreal Expos. That would be as close to a Canadian World Series as we can get.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

Definitely happy with tonight's result. Madbum is unbelievable. Now I have to deal with divided loyalties. It's '89 all over again.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, there you go. MadBum adds to his post-season legend with another terrific shut-out. That was some pitching duel! In the end, the Giants just made Thor pitch a few more than MadBum so he had to leave after 7. Then one big hit in the 9th did the trick.

I suppose I'd better get strapped in for another white-knuckle ride.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Bumgarner clearly wants the tag of "Best ever October pitcher". If he stays fit it could be 2014 again.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Giants-Mets was another great game. A scoreless game going into the 9this almost too much tension!

So tonight we start the Best-of-5 series. Toronto @ Texas (with ex-Phillies Cole Hamels pitching for Texas) will be the early game today (starting in less than 2 hours), and then Boston @ Cleveland.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Hamels had a nightmare outing in an unexpected (to me at least) blow-out. Tribe-Sox was a lot closer; Francona bringing in Miller in the 5th inning was a master-stroke. The Sox nearly came back - but not quite. I thought it was an excellent game.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:

But after that, the Cubbies? Not sure my Giants have much chance of beating them, even if we do win the Wild Card. I know it's an even numbered year, but ....

Tonight. Wrigley. 8:15 CST. The city is excited but also holding its breath.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016