homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The Only Real Game: Baseball 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Only Real Game: Baseball 2016
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Hamels had a nightmare outing in an unexpected (to me at least) blow-out.

And Toronto is leading Game 2 5-1 in the 8th. I thought this felt familiar. I just looked back at last year, when Toronto and Texas played each other in an ALDS. Texas won the first 2 games in Toronto, and then Toronto won the next 2 games in Texas. Toronto then won the final game at home.

And this year Toronto has won the first game in Texas and is well-placed to win the second game in Texas.

All of which means that (assuming Toronto holds on to win this game) in playoff games between these two clubs, the "home" team is 1-6. So much for "home field advantage."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Giants fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. It's the sort of situation where experience tells. But should it go the other way, I, won't be sad to the the Cubbies make it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dodger-Nats looking close now. Kershaw just managed to survive 5. Currently it's 4-3 Dodgers but I don't think it will stay at that.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jansen pitched brilliantly for the save after a great Dodgers bullpen show. It did stay 4-3 Dodgers, thanks to exceptional defensive pitching. Another excellent game.

Which leaves Giants-Cubs. Cueto gets to show his stuff.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Cueto did show his stuff, holding to the Cubs to only 3 hits. But Lester showed his stuff too. That game was a nail-biter!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

It was a tough, probably vital, loss. Not sure I see the Shark besting Hendricks either.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What just happened? Did the Nats bullpen fail to fall apart in a postseason game at home? Did it look like the same team took the field in October that was playing in August?

Eh, five games left. Each with (at LEAST!) nine innings. With three outs a side. With three strikes. One day, it won't haunt us.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Goodbye, Big Papi. You'll be missed. Congrats to the Tribe.

And maybe, just maybe, the Nate will get through.

Cubs @ Giants. Arrieta homers, Bumgarner proves he's human after all, Giants rally, Romo blows a save, then Giants win in the 13th!

My nerves are shredded. Truly, "it ain't over till it's over'.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The game lasted until midnight on the West Coast. I imagine there are a bunch of folks in the MidWest who are going to be in extra need of coffee. Still. One of the best games of baseball I have ever seen.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

And they get to gear up and do it again this evening!

Washington leads La Dodgers 2 games to 1. Cubbies lead the Giants 2 games to 1. In theory, both series could end tonight (but I wouldn't bet on it).

Meanwhile, over in the Junior League, the ALCS match-up is set: Toronto v. Cleveland. I will admit, I didn't see that pairing coming. Both are coming off 3 game sweeps in the divisional round, both teams looking pretty impressive in the divisional round. This should be a fun series for the neutral fan!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Both look tight games to me. Tonight I'm sleeping while the West Coast trauma continues. Up at 0600 GMT+1 when both games should be over - or maybe not.

I'll support Cleveland in the junior league!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cubs had an amazing rally and got 4 runs in the top of the 9th, then quickly dispatched the Giants to win it 6-5.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The game day wrap made painful reading. Hard on Matt Moore. That's a tough way for the season to end for the Giants. But it is the lesson of the second half of the season. The bullpen is no longer good enough.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The game day wrap made painful reading. Hard on Matt Moore. That's a tough way for the season to end for the Giants. But it is the lesson of the second half of the season. The bullpen is no longer good enough.

I can't believe they used Romo again today.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yup. The awesome and the awful.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:

I am not a big fan of the frequent switching of relief pitchers. The Giants use one pitcher through 8 innings and then use 5 pitchers for one inning? I understand the odds on the whole lefty-righty thing but it always feels like desperation to me to change pitchers with every batter.

But, then, I am not a manager and I'd probably be a bad one.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

I am not a big fan of the frequent switching of relief pitchers. The Giants use one pitcher through 8 innings and then use 5 pitchers for one inning? I understand the odds on the whole lefty-righty thing but it always feels like desperation to me to change pitchers with every batter.

But, then, I am not a manager and I'd probably be a bad one.

The least it does (and I wasn't even an armchair manager for this as I was still in bed) is tell your relievers as individuals and a group that you don't have confidence in them. I see the point in pulling your closer if he gets in trouble but to do that four times is reactive, not proactive, especially when you still have a get out of jail card, in the form of your own ninth. Mind you, the Giants don't seem to have been up for a fight in that.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Problem is that Casila was a very effective closer for the first part of the season - and then blew some saves. Bochy tried several options and then in the end went back to Romo who was a very effective regular and post season closer in the past. And Romo pitched 4 consecutive saves at the end of the regular season.

But after the blown save in the 13 innings marathon, I think Romo should have been sat down. Instead Bochy, who is a great coach, trusted him once too often. So it goes. I think it might be thank you and good night for Sergio's career, which is a sad way for him to go. He's been a good club servant.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So much drama, and in the end the Dodgers brought in Clayton Effing Kershaw in relief in the bottom of the 9th in the last game of the series with the Nats, 48 hours after his last start. And they're going to Chicago next. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Kershaw in relief for the save did come as a surprise! I wonder which game(s) he will pitch in the Cubs series? Surely he can't be the Game 1 starter--but, then, before last night I would have said "surely he can't come in to relieve"...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Kershaw might not start but does 2/3 of an innings affect a starting pitcher much? Some more than others I suppose. I'm sure the Dodgers want him to start game 1 as that gives him more recovery time before a second start in game 3 or 4.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

My understanding is that it is the warm-up to pitch that is the problem in a relief situation. Kershaw only threw 7 pitches in the game, but he had to throw a lot more in warm up, on top of a tired arm from pitching a lot two days earlier.

I have heard of situations of relief pitchers who keep getting up night after night to warm up but then don't get into any games, who eventually have to sit a night a rest because the arm is too tired from all those warm ups!

But Kershaw is Kershaw. It isn't clear that the normal rules apply.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Sorry! Double post! It would help if I looked at my resources BEFORE posting: it looks like Kenta Maeda is getting the nod for Game 1 for the Dodgers.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Thanks Hedgehog. I had overlooked the effect of warm-up which has to be thorough.

Let's see how many innings Maeda can manage in the opener. His last outing wasn't happy.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I thought bringing in Kershaw was a master stroke. Felt sorry for the Nats. They must be beginning to wonder what it will take for them to advance.

But it was another excellent and very competitive game.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this vine of a member of the crowd catching a ball that it looks like the fieldsman (is that the right word in baseball?!) could have taken. Surely that's Not Okay™ and he should have left the ball be?!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

Yeah, he's not supposed to lean over and take it. I will say he does get style points for doing so without a glove.
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
the fieldsman (is that the right word in baseball?!)

There are outfielders and infielders. And the fan should have been ejected from the stadium for interfering with play.

But I came here to mourn the Dodgers 10-2 loss to the Cubs. 4 errors. The Cubs made 2. So it was a stinker of a game in several ways. And Adrian Gonzalez was robbed when he was called out at the plate.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I think the series will go to Game 7, RuthW. Lester to put the Cubs ahead tonight, Kershaw to win for the Dodger in Game 6, and Game 7 could go either way.

Being a National League supporter, I hope the winner will win the WS. The Tribe have looked very good to me, so I expect the WS to be close as well.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

There is a lot resting on Kershaw's arm now. But I think he'll be up for it.

Given the history, a Game 7 will be hard on the Cubs' collective nerves.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:

Given the history, a Game 7 will be hard on the Cubs' collective nerves.

I'm definitely pleased with last night's results but this is the Cubs we are talking about here. In the back of my mind I'm waiting for their luck to change dramatically and for them to fall short.

I'm surprised by the Dodgers. They didn't look like their hearts were into it. Having said that, the NL West looks to be theirs for the taking for the next few seasons, until or unless the Giants get their bullpen fixed.

RuthW

# 13

quote:

No doubt. But the Dodgers have to score some runs, something they seem rather loathe to do of late.

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
I'm surprised by the Dodgers. They didn't look like their hearts were into it. Having said that, the NL West looks to be theirs for the taking for the next few seasons, until or unless the Giants get their bullpen fixed.

They made 4 errors in the last game. Four. The Cubs made 2, but it doesn't matter when their opponents were so busy stinking up the place.

The Dodgers have won their division four years straight, and I think you're right that they could very well keep doing that, but they gotta quit getting out-played in the post-season.

One bright note: Chase Utley hasn't broken anyone's leg this year.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Not looking too good Ruth. Bad error again, no Dodgers runs yet, plus Kershaw struggling.

But good if you're a Cubs supporter.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cubs win! Cubs win! Cubs win!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

Time to party like it's 1945!!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

Time to party like it's 1945!!
Roast goat anyone? Or is it too soon?

The Cubs really ought to win: they have the best regular season record and have come through a tough post season, which indicate depth and they come from the NLC, so that will be some comfort to Pirates fans, even if we are rivals.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Roast goat anyone? Or is it too soon?

During last night's game the announcer mentioned that William Sianis, legendary restaurateur who cast the curse (when he and his goat were ejected from the 1945 world series), died on Oct. 22. So, really, it's a message that the curse is well and truly over.

And if you haven't seen it, here is the shirt that diehard Cubs fan Bill Murray appeared in earlier this week: I ain't afraid of no goat! which sold like hotcakes.

[ 23. October 2016, 19:13: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, are we still hot on the Cubs?

It's one game, but when Cleveland has the kind of bullpen that allows them to pull out a lights-out starter in the 6th so that he may have two more games left in him if necessary, you might start to worry a bit.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Well, are we still hot on the Cubs?

It's one game, but when Cleveland has the kind of bullpen that allows them to pull out a lights-out starter in the 6th so that he may have two more games left in him if necessary, you might start to worry a bit.

In two post-season games the Cubs failed to score and in another (which they won) the scored just one run. Maybe they are just streaky? Then again, the Cubs batters may be unfamiliar with Kluber to a greater extent than Cleveland's batters are with Jon Lester, who gave the impression that the world was against him by the end of the second inning.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

No so fast, guys. We beat Cleveland 5-1 tonight. The Indians' one run was in the 7th inning, when Arrieta needed to be taken out. It was a really long (4 hours), cold game. Back to Wrigley tomorrow with the series tied.

PS: Arrieta pitched a no-hitter up to the 6th inning.

[ 27. October 2016, 03:20: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Game on!! I am really looking forward to the rest of this WS. And more great pitching. I suspect the winning and losing of this series will be a matter of inches. Strikes called and not called. Catches made and missed. The odd errors. The hits that did and didn't quite make it. Over the fence or to a fielder.

Bring. It. On!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I agree! This is shaping up to be a classic Series. I would not be surprised if it goes the full 7 games.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hypothetical question:

If a series goes seven games but all seven games are won by 5 runs and all but over when the 6th inning starts, can it be a classic?

I suppose it beats the year my Rockies made it on the heels of an amazing winning streak. Jeff Francis got lit up in the first two innings of game 1 and that was the series.

(I had my daughter's birthday on Tuesday and choir on Wednesday, so I haven't been able to watch any of the games. And speaking as someone whose favorite NFL team just won the championship in what many neutral observers considered to be a terrible Super Bowl, I don't mean to knock your excitement if you are a long-time Chicago or Cleveland fan.)

[ 27. October 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

jupitermadcat
Apprentice
# 15395

- Posted      Profile for jupitermadcat   Email jupitermadcat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes that was a good game last night. I could see this series going 7 I'm rooting for my wife's team (Cubs) plus i like underdogs.
Posts: 1 | From: Florida,U.S.A | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by jupitermadcat:
Yes that was a good game last night. I could see this series going 7 I'm rooting for my wife's team (Cubs) plus i like underdogs.

Welcome aboard, jupitermadcat! As a new member of the Ship, I hope that you will accept my preemptive apology for going directly into snark mode over your first comment, especially given that we are in the Circus. It's absolutely not personal. That out of the way...

Haven't the Cubs been the odds-on favorites to win it all since April?

These are two really good teams who have plowed through the competition from April to this point. I don't think either team gets to claim underdog status in this one.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Hypothetical question:

If a series goes seven games but all seven games are won by 5 runs and all but over when the 6th inning starts, can it be a classic?

If the 5-run winning margin in each game is because one team or the other is kept to one or fewer runs, to me that states that there was a lot of good pitching going on. Both teams can obviously tally up runs (as shown by the 5-run margins) but both also obviously got shut down by the other team's pitching (as shown by the one-or-fewer runs). So, yeah, I'd still call it a classic under those circumstances.

Last year was a 4 games to 1 mopping up by Kansas City over the Mets. It never felt like the Mets were ever really in it. This series has a different feel--two evenly matched teams slugging it out.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

The weather report for Chicago for Game 3 is intriguing: the temps will be moderate for this time of year, but the winds will be blowing at 16-25 mph from home plate into center field. And possible gusts. Hang onto your Cubs hats. It will be lively.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

And here's a little local color. Tickets for the next three games at Wrigley are retailing at $5000 to as high as $30,000. Also, some of the bars in Wrigleyville are advertising cover charges (entry fees) of $100 and up. You gotta love capitalism.

The aldermen on the Chicago City Council are having hissy fits because they can't get cheap tickets. They have to pay retail price (see above) like the rest of us. Boo hoo.

I do feel for the residents of Wrigleyville (a largely residential and densely populated area) who can't park their cars on the street for the next three days. Good luck schlepping those beer kegs.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Ok, this just in: Bill Murray will be singing "Take me out to the ball game" for tonight's 7th inning stretch. [Yipee]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The Cubs now have a huge hurdle to climb. Cleveland have looked significantly better in the last two games. They are obvious favourites now.

The Cubs have Lester and Arrieta as start pitchers in the next two, and of course both could lead to wins. But I think the Tribe plan to start with Kluber in any Game 7 and, based on his stellar post-season so far, that would probably dash the Cubs' hopes. Even if it got that far.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016