homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » New balls, please - Tennis 2016

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: New balls, please - Tennis 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that the strawberry season is underway (albeit in a rather soggy way), what do people think about events so far in SW19?

Am I alone in thinking/hoping that Mr. Willis is going to be someone to watch in future? From the part of his match against Federer that I saw* he seemed to be putting up more of a fight than perhaps the score-line would suggest. I thought he played some beautiful shots, and he looked as if he was thoroughly enjoying himself, which I found very uplifting.

* we had to go out part way through the second set, as someone was coming to view our house. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm exhausted after watching Andy Murray v. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - what a roller-coaster!

Well done Andy! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go Milos Raonic! My wife is recording all his games. We're not very interested in any of the others. He's the Canadian in the field.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Federer came back from 2-0 down, Cilic froze when he had the big chance. Great try from Tsonga, but Murray won through. Every time I eat a strawberry, my favourite player wins a game. Have now run out and need to buy some more punnets to last through the weekend.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raonic in the semis!

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
... Every time I eat a strawberry, my favourite player wins a game ...

There's a thought - I'm not really wild about strawberries (although I will make an exception during Wimbledon fortnight), but if I thought it helped ... [Big Grin]

I'll happily cheer for Raonic as long as he's not playing Murray. [Smile]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very subdued games today by comparison to yesterday - particularly the S. Williams v. Vasnini match, where Vasnini mostly stood and watched Williams pull all the power shots. Fortunately, Kerber was more interesting, having to work hard to stop Venus making a comeback in the 2nd set. I'm much happier to have Kerber in the final, rather than it being a Williams v. Williams family duel.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done Andy! [Yipee]

And also well done to Milos Raonic - it's not everyone who can get past Roger Federer.

Obviously I'd like Murray to win, but it's nice to see a Canadian doing so well, and as they both seem to playing the tennis of their lives, the final should be good.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

No no Piglet. Raonic is the one people resident in Canada should be cheering for. No Canadian has ever been in a final at Wimbledon.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
No no Piglet. Raonic is the one people resident in Canada should be cheering for. No Canadian has ever been in a final at Wimbledon.

I find that hard to believe. Sure *some* of the Americans that have made it to the final are actually Canadians? It seems to be so in every other walk of life.

Milos Raonic should be proud. I don't think he could have done more especially with most of the crowd behind Murray.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

I find that hard to believe. Sure *some* of the Americans that have made it to the final are actually Canadians? It seems to be so in every other walk of life.

Milos Raonic should be proud. I don't think he could have done more especially with most of the crowd behind Murray.

Actually Milos is the first Canadian man to make it to a final of any grand slam tennis event.

Tennis is hard to play 5-9 months of the year outside in Canada, depending on where you live.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I didn't see all of it (church intervened in the morning here - I'll try and catch the earlier sets on Primetime later) and when I finally sat down to it (at the beginning of the third set) the only channel I could find it on was in French. I don't speak French, but was becoming very irritated that the lady commentator said, "bravo, bravo, bravo" every time Raonic served an ace.

TSN (Rogers channel 23) were promising it yesterday, so I was very disappointed that they seemed to have moved on to the British Grand Prix before the tennis was finished.

From what I could tell, although it was a straight-sets win, Raonic really had nothing to be ashamed of: two of the sets went to tie-breaks and could have gone either way.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

A good day for British Tennis - Reid, Whiley, Murray and Watson. Just the tonic we needed!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raonic (which my iPhone autocorrect changed to Rabid!) played very well, Murray played an inspired match. Very close, only one service break in the entire match, and it might well have been different if Raonic had converted one of those two third set break points. Murray snuffed that out, was awesome in the tie breakers. Playing at that level of consistency both on serve and return of serve, I think he would have beaten anyone yesterday. Hats off to Andy. He's special.

[ 11. July 2016, 06:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by no prophet's flag is set so...
quote:
No Canadian has ever been in a final at Wimbledon.
Err ???

Eugenie Bouchard contested the Ladies' Singles final in 2014, and she won the Girls' title at Wimbledon in 2012.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well, in a gentlemen's singles final anyway.

The boys' singles was also won by a Canadian, so maybe we'll be the next nation to look out for ... [Smile]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The GB tennis team have proved they can win a Davis Cup tie without Andy Murray and beaten Serbia.

Played on horrible clay courts Kyle Edmund managed to win both of his singles matches and Dom Inglot and Jamie Murray won their doubles. (Poor James Ward had a nightmare in his match, he doesn't have the game for clay and his form at the moment isn't good.)

And Croatia have beated the USA in Oregon! Semi-Finalists are GB, France, Croatia and Argentina.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Feeling rather jaded this morning because I was up far too late watching Johanna Konta beat Venus Williams in the final of the Stanford Bank of the West WTA final.

JK has now climbed to number 14 in the WTA world rankings.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Am I the only person on board to be excited at the news that Andy Murray is world number 1 and won the ATP end of year Masters Final, beating Djokovic in two comfortable sets. [Overused]

So the world number 1 doubles pairing includes Jamie Murray and singles is his younger brother - both brought up in the part of the UK with perhaps the worst climate for tennis.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Am I the only person on board to be excited at the news that Andy Murray is world number 1 and won the ATP end of year Masters Final, beating Djokovic in two comfortable sets?

No, you most certainly aren't. [Overused]

Well done Mr. Murray - the last time a British bloke was number one in the world was probably Fred Perry in the 1930s.
[Killing me]

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016