homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » By all the saints in warfare (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: By all the saints in warfare
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
(Are we sticking to the ABAB format of Mary had a Little Lamb?)

A Moabite, we know, she was

If we are, then Miss Amanda is afraid she's at a loss to understand your line.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know how to proceed. What is your wish?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if Miss Amanda's wishes really came true, we would have sung the final stanza several frames ago. But since there are Shipmates who want to keep the thread alive . . .

It makes best sense, I think, to start a new stanza with Bib's contribution:
There was a saint I've heard called Ruth.

Then add my second line:
Like Mary's Little Lamb

And Doone's third line:
She always tried to tell the truth

(although I was expecting something along the lines of "She'd follow everywhere, 'tis truth!")

So the next contribution will conclude this verse with a line that rhymes with "Lamb".

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem I had with this is that I simply couldn't see what connection line 2 had with line 1! I'd be happier to start again, take line 1 as read and go on from there ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

What Miss Amanda had in mind was Ruth 1:16 -- "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay." Thus, Mary had a little lamb ("and everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go").

But if the consensus is to discard that verse and start a new one, who is Miss Amanda to object? Go for it.

[ 23. November 2016, 15:14: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah ... I failed to make the connection.

Could you be so kind as to set us going again?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

All right. Miss Amanda will finish the previous verse and start a new one.

Reminder: This is a hymn to Old Testament saints, sung to the tune of St Anne. The more stilted the language, the better.

There was a saint I've heard called Ruth.
Like Mary's Little Lamb,
She'd follow everywhere, 'tis truth!
With Boaz 'scaped a jam.

Bad boys Elisha "Baldy" call'd.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Twas very rude of them,
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

But next they were by fierce bears mauled,
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They won't do that again.

--------------------
plug plug

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Lot's wife toward Sodom turned her gaze.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It stopped her in her tracks.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

To see the Lord the city raze

I can see this one having to go to two verses ...

[ 25. November 2016, 07:09: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Gives salty pillars cracks.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The O.T. has so many saints

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
''Tis difficult to choose
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

For God's fair courts one pines, one faints.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

In fact, one longs to snooze.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Elijah 'neath broom bush did snooze

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Angelic satnav spake:

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You're gonna need some decent shoes",

--------------------
plug plug

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

But first, you gotta wake.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Eden was a lass called Eve

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

By serpent's thrall seduc'd;
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Got munchies, dear? Then by your leave . . .

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

...I've had one of these before and it's less harmful than Cadbury's Boost".

--------------------
plug plug

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The angel stood and barred the way

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With flaming sword in hand

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So Adam sorely rued the day
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

God said, "You are now banned".

--------------------
plug plug

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Spake Sarah: "Have a child? Go to!"

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It really is quite fun

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Said God, and added, "For Abe too!"

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

That will make him run!

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Bathsheba, a beauty 'twas true,
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Upon her rooftop bathed;
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until old David call'd "yoo-hoo!"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

But it wasn't his hand he waved.

--------------------
plug plug

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Absalom was Dave's best mate

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

He loved him oh so much

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

But Joab went and sealed his fate

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

and then went for his lunch.

--------------------
plug plug

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Naomi said "I'm coming too!"

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"And Ruth, you heed me well!"

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Take my advice and soon you'll woo
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

a man, though not Gibson Mel.

--------------------
plug plug

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

The O.T. has so many saints

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

But none like Balaam’s ass.

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

who, even though they couldn't paint

--------------------
plug plug

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Could talk -- oh, what a gas!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016