homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » A quizzing dilemma

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A quizzing dilemma
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In last night's pub quiz, we faced a problem. We were a few points off the lead going into the final round, which was a wipeout round. That is, if you get one question wrong, you get zero for the whole round irrespective of how many correct answers you have. You can choose to not answer, and that doesn't count as being incorrect. The following question came up:

What one word completes this saying: "Fortune favours the..."?

One of my team was adamant that the answer was brave. Another team member said that the answer was bold. We agreed that the two were equivalent, but which is the quintessential phrasing of the sentiment? Because we didn't want to get it wrong and wipe out, we opted not to answer it. If pushed, which would you have gone for?

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 62 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a very tricky one. I answered you on Twitter the same as here, but realised that the alternative is also as valid in general speech.

So I think it must count as a poor question, because in most cases, either should be acceptable.

Wikipedia has both versions, reflecting that this is a translation from a range of sources. There is probably one definitive original, but that is lost to us. Any form of Bold, Brave, Strong would be a valid use of the phrase.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The prepared mind.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... party with the best lawyer

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard the 'bold' option before, but feel that the usual response is 'brave'

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have said 'brave' was the more common current version. I know both and think both should have been acceptable.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I'd have gone bold - brave feels to me like a newer variation on the theme. But purely conjecture.

And I'd have insisted we put an answer if in your position in spite of the risk as we'd need as many points as possible to win, and they do say that fortune favours those with sufficient kahunas

Our team motto in similar situations is "victory or death" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be that those who have studied latin have gone for bold, where those who haven't will have gone with the catch-all of brave?

I'd have gone for Fortune favours the valiant, had it been available.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely having "favours" and "brave" in the same sentence gives you too many 'a's and 'v's together. "Bold" has a much more woody sound to it. Seems I am in a minority.
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the assonance.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
It may be that those who have studied latin have gone for bold, where those who haven't will have gone with the catch-all of brave?

We were all fairly well educated (2 had studied Latin), though even that didn't prevent some rather dumb answers (before corrections via the collective wisdom). e.g.
Q: What is the Roman numeral for the number 50?
A: Trust, me I had a classical education. It's D. [Disappointed]

Q: 2 Shakespeare plays were set in Verona; The 2 Gentlemen of Verona was one, which was the other?
A: The Merchant of Venice [brick wall]
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
Our team motto in similar situations is "victory or death" [Big Grin]

Ours is normally similar, but we were actually in with a shout of winning this week, so we were somewhat more circumspect.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realize I'd heard this expression before, but my gut instinct is that it's concluded "...the strong." So I'm glad Schroedinger's Cat mentions it. That must be how I've heard it.

But ultimately, Zappa's answer rings true.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The obvious thing to me is to see what Google (UK version) says. As I typed I got to "fortune favo" and autocomplete came up with "fortune favors the bold". When I continued by typing the "u" autocomplete changed its mind to "fortune favours the brave".

So it's a pond thing.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
are you sure its not the bald?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
(...) and they do say that fortune favours those with sufficient kahunas.

Yes, I imagine that traditional Hawai'ian priests would be helpful.
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I googled it with "Fortune Favors the", after seeing images of fortune cookies and wedding favors, the next reference was "Fortune favors the bold" on Wikipedia. Both versions, brave and bold, seem to be translations of Virgil.
quote:
Audentis Fortuna iuvat (translated by both eprevodilac.com and lexilogos.com as "Fortune favors the bold."

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Cole Porter wrote, "I say cojones, you say kahunas... Let's call the whole thing off."

I voted "bold", but I'm not certain that that's because I studied Latin. I do recognise it from Virgil, so perhaps it's something (my academic gown?) from years ago hanging in a dusty closet at the back of my that made me go "bold".

[ 25. July 2017, 12:20: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the motto of the Yorkshire Regiment, the word used is "brave", and I think "brave" is the most popular.

Like others, I agree that "bold" is a better translation of the latin audens.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I answered 'bold' because that's what auto-complete in my mind filled in.
No idea where it came from, but it seemed a clear choice to me.
b. (American with no Latin, FWIW.)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Bold" is the one I've usually heard.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016