homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2017 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2017 Celebrity Death Pool
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Robert Hardy, best known as Siegfried from All Creatures Great and Small has died, aged 85.

The report says he was 91, for the sake of those counting.

I met him once, in a doorway. He harrumphed at me and shoved his way past. I smiled to see in his obituary that he described himself as 'difficult'.

I met Seamus Heaney two weeks later, in the same doorway. He stepped back, held the door open for me, and gave a little bow. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Robert Hardy, best known as Siegfried from All Creatures Great and Small has died, aged 85.

The report says he was 91, for the sake of those counting.
When the news was first reported, they said 85. I didn't check his birth date and it seems most of the news outlets didn't either for about 15 minutes.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I met him once, in a doorway ... I met Seamus Heaney two weeks later, in the same doorway ...

Do you make a habit of hanging around doorways frequented by well-known gentlemen? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... I met him once, in a doorway ... I met Seamus Heaney two weeks later, in the same doorway ...

Do you make a habit of hanging around doorways frequented by well-known gentlemen? [Big Grin]
I was going in as they were coming out ... or the other way round ... I can't quite remember. Anyway, it was a long time ago in a place far far away, and they were the only two gentlemen I met in that particular doorway. [Biased]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the others weren't gentlemen.....?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

It sounds as if Robert Hardy wasn't much of a gentleman either.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

It sounds as if Robert Hardy wasn't much of a gentleman either.
[Biased]

I know. Disappointing, isn't it? [Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two baseball players have passed (although neither were on my list). (1) Don Baylor of the then "California" Angels (before they became the Anaheim Angels, before they became the Los Angeles Angels) and later the very first manager of the Colorado Rockies, and (2) catcher Darren "Dutch" Daulton of the late 1980s/early 1990s Philadelphia Phillies.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glen Campbell has died at the age of 81.

The 2011 documentary that showed his struggle with Alzheimer's was heartbreaking. May he be at peace.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was afraid this might happen. My pick wasn't the kiss of life. [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this last night, came here to post, and then forgot....

A sad loss, but expected. His music what not my style, but I actually quite enjoy it, in small doses.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not many points for the world's oldest man

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The inventor of the sonic screwdriver has died.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Bruce Forsyth has died, aged 89. [Votive]

I make that 11 points for 11 people.

[ 18. August 2017, 15:40: Message edited by: Sipech ]

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the news about Bruce Forsyth as I put on the radio and with the immediate thought of "Oooo! Points!! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
11 points, but such sad news. A true national treasure.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Points!

I am in two minds about this. I think he was brilliant - he made the Generation Game a huge success, and the Saturday evening entertainment slot.

I just feel that in Strictly, he was showing his age. I feel that he might have been better leaving sooner, with people wanting more.

But he was one of the last of the all-round entertainers. A generation and a skillset that is no more.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was always nice to see him...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went to see Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine some years back. One of their supporting acts was ill and Bruce Forsyth stepped in at the last minute. He played piano wonderfully. Yes, he was an all round performer in his day.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dick Gregory, a pioneering force of comedy in the 1960s who parlayed his career as a stand-up into a life of social and political activism, died Saturday of heart failure at 84.

Some friends and I went to see him in 1968.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a headline saying Jerry Lewis was dead, and his wiki page is updated along those lines, but I'm not seeing much else about it, including on this thread.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reported by the BBC, So It Must Be True:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40994864

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I was surprised to see that Dick Gregory seemed to be getting the bigger lead. I'm pretty much indifferent to both comics, but I would have assumed Lewis was the better known. (Bias: I was raised by parents born in the mid-30s, who pretty much missed out on the 1960s, culturally speaking.)

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Reported by the BBC, So It Must Be True:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40994864

IJ

But Fox News has reported it too. Does that mean it's fake? [Confused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really surprised that not one player had Jerry Lewis.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At 81 Sir Colin Meads has died. He set the bar for "hard man" and I don't think anyone has come near it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Baker:

Well, while I think his popularity in France might have been somewhat exaggerated, I believe it remains the case that towards the end he was more popular in continental Europe relative to the USA, and probably anglosphere generally. I remember Hardly Working, which was I believe the last film marketed as a genuine Jerry Lewis film, opened in my hometown, and didn't last a week in the theatres. Whereas my understanding is that it did quite well in Europe.

So, just speculation on my part, but I'd guess that for a lot of people who would be playing this game, he was barely on the radar as a public figure.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Jean-Luc Godard on Jerry Lewis

From 1980. You'll notice that Cavett observes that Lewis is popular with "Europeans", but doesn't mention France specifically. I'd be willing to bet that this specific interview is what prompted the idea that he was big in France, since IIRC it was shortly after this that I first heard people saying that.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubt he was on any lists but Brian Aldiss has died aged 92 - he was a science fiction author, for those who don't live with their noses in a book.

Also another one that was probably not on any lists Richard Gordon (pen name) of the Doctor in the House books has died aged 84. I've read the books, heard the radio versions, not really seen the films.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Doubt he was on any lists but Brian Aldiss has died aged 92 - he was a science fiction author, for those who don't live with their noses in a book.

Also another one that was probably not on any lists Richard Gordon (pen name) of the Doctor in the House books has died aged 84. I've read the books, heard the radio versions, not really seen the films.

Oh... [Tear] a double whammy.

I saw Brian Aldiss book speak at a Bradford Fantastic Film Festival about his book, Prometheus Unbound (made into a film with John Hurt, and Michael Hutchence as Lord Byron), and life in general. He was an interesting writer and was never backward in coming forward with an opinion for interviews about the state of modern SF.

I also had a weird obsession in my teen years with some of the early Richard Gordon books, but hadn't spared him a thought in years.

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baker:

I honestly thought he had died years ago. Can't get points from the already dead, after all. I honestly can't say I'd heard any mention of him in a very, very long time.

So, of course, I'm reading the obits. Half the reason I like this game is finding out about people I know nothing about.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Dick Gregory, a pioneering force of comedy in the 1960s who parlayed his career as a stand-up into a life of social and political activism, died Saturday of heart failure at 84.

Some friends and I went to see him in 1968.

Damn. Another hero gone.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A genuine national treasure.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up on the Doctor in the House films - they were usually on TV in the afternoons at weekends, along with swashbucklers, and other films in black and white. Also I rather liked Dirk Bogarde, who starred in them.
There was also a TV series in the 1970s starring Richard O'Sullivan. And the TV sent me on to read the books, mostly picked up at jumble sales.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chainsaws continue to be Massacred, even though Tobe Hooper has died. His legacy dies on.

[ 28. August 2017, 18:23: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor has died,aged 85.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walter Becker of Steely Dan has died.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Peter Hall, founder of the RSC has died aged 86

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not quite right to say Peter Hall founded the RSC - what he did was to change the name when the original charter was reincorporated and to get funding from the Arts Council for a permanent company of actors, as opposed to just hiring people per season.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Multitalented mobster impersonator Frank Vincent got an offer he couldn't refuse.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The long and storied career of Harry Dean Stanton has come to an end.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

'The man who saved the world' and possiblely the last sane one whose finger was over the launch button, dies.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
... possibly the last sane one whose finger was over the launch button ...

Just when the world could do with somebody of his common sense and integrity.

May he rest in peace.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

William G Stewart, the former host of 15 to 1, has died.

Rest in peace and rise in glory, you wonderful patriarch of daytime quiz shows. Go and join Richard Whiteley. For now, though, it's lights out. [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I heard this on my way home, and forgot to post it.

A sad loss, he was a brilliant host.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liz Dawn who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street has gone to a better soap.

And Anthony Booth, Alf Garnett's "scouse git" son-in-law and, in real life, father-in-law of Tony Blair, has died at the age of 85.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

And today Lady Lucan has died. Police say they are no suspicious circumstances.

Yeah, sure.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... Anthony Booth, Alf Garnett's "scouse git" son-in-law and, in real life, father-in-law of Tony Blair, has died at the age of 85.

Goodness - I had him in the "I thought he'd been dead for years" file.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Hugh Hefner has gone to the Playboy Mansion in the sky.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Another one in the "how did he last so long" file.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016