homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » BBC Booze Calculator

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: BBC Booze Calculator
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC website currently has a "booze calculator" which purports to show how your drinking habits compare to national averages.

For example, I apparently fit in almost perfectly with the drinking habits of Sri Lanka.

And that's a comment I never expected to post.

So how do you measure up?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Portugal, "but this is not a very good match."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allegedly I drink most like I'm from Guinea-Bissau and quite unlike people from my home country.

That's strange for two reasons. One is that I actually lived in Guinea-Bissau for five years (not many Brits can say that!). The other is that, unless drinking habits there have changed hugely, I don't drink anything like they do! (But the statistics are skewed as 50% of the population are Muslim who don't - supposedly - drink at all).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not teetotal, but drink very little, so I compare with the average Kuwaiti

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put in a medium week and a rather heavier week, and both were quite a bit less than the average UK person (I got two places that were quite well down in the list).

Clearly, I need to drink a lot more.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have been more specific: I scored less than the average American, but that is only because I do not drink beer and seldom drink wine any more. My "spirits" consumption (bourbon & rye, mostly) is slightly over the average American, but because I am zero on the other two, my overall score is lower. So, in terms of what I drink, I resemble Sri Lanka, but in terms of total alcohol consumption, I am closer to El Salvador.

Not really planning on visiting either place in the near future, so I guess I'll have to take the BBC's word for it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got France, but not a good match. Mostly because I like my vin rouge.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drink like I'm from Tuvalu. Which apparently is not very much at all. Tuvalu looks quite nice.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

So how do you measure up?

Last week was a Slovenian week. This week I'm a Kuwaiti. Next week I'm a fish.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O dear. Apparently, I'm with the French, albeit not a very good match (I, too, like my vin rouge), but up with Belarus when it comes to spirits...

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was somewhat concerned I'd be typically Australian, but as I don't drink beer and very rarely spirits but rather like my vino, I drink like I'm from Equatorial Guinea, apparently.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Kuwaiti checking in but this is all false really as I used to drink to Belarus standards but eventually ended up choosing abstinence.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I party like a Costa Rican, apparently.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You drink most like you're from Lebanon
and quite unlike people from your home country"

...and

"You drink less than the average for your home country
You drink as heavily as people from Bahrain, the joint 33rd lightest-drinking country in the world"

...and I'm Episcopalian. [Razz]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am taking from this that, to be a true patriotic Brit, I need to drink more.

Fine with me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drink like a French person. Go figure.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drink like an Eritrean. Then again, I've all but given up drink on doctor's orders so it's not surprising.

I find most of these assessments miss the "how often do you drink" dimension, because most of my drinking used to be at the weekend when I might well have or exceed my weekly recommended limit in a couple of nights. That must make a difference. I'm sure the French and Italians don't drink much more than the British but they may well spread it out more beneficially.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You drink most like you're from Jordan
and quite unlike people from your home country"

Well, according to the map, the US is a beer-drinking country. I hate beer, or bear sweat, as I call it.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gabon.

I think at least some of this is that yesterday was end-of-finals—and, if they took my coffee consumption into account, they'd probably guess I was a fish.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
France

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put in a light week and a heavy one.

On the lightest I drank like someone from Nauru. Not sure where that is. Or Kiribati.

On a heavier week it's closer to Argentina and Burundi.

Thing is, I tend to cut down during Advent, but not abstain entirely, and I give up alcohol for Lent.

The rest of the time I probably have about 3 pints of real ale a week on average or else about half a bottle of wine over the course of a weekend. I may have one double measure of single malt whisky a week during the winter.

I do intend to reduce that in the New Year.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did the test twice:

Actual consumption this past week, which included two Christmas parties (about 12 glasses of wine, no beer or spirits): this told me I drink most like France (but not a very good match), which makes sense, and I drink at the level of a Slovakian (10th on the list). [Eek!]

Consumption in an ordinary week (about 7 glasses of wine, no beer or spirits): apparently I drink most like Equatorial Guinea ( [Confused] ) and as heavily as Uruguay (68th on the list).

I should imagine that most people's consumption will be rather more this week than usual; if I were to include Christmas Day, I'd have to allow for the GIN that we always have after church and before lunch ... [Big Grin]

Slainte mhor! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome ( hic ) to Belarus!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... Just tried it. I don't feel particularly Gabonese at the moment.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Hmmm... Just tried it. I don't feel particularly Gabonese at the moment.

Have a drink. It will go away.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uraguay!

I drink wine on Fridays and Saturdays then give my liver a break for the rest of the week.

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently this week I am drinking like a Jordanian!
But on other weeks I would be like a Kuwaiti. And if I was really going for it I might make it as far as being like an Italian!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an alcoholic in recovery. So Kuwait it is!

Very interesting report.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

(Well done, roybart - keep up the good work!)

IJ the Belarussian...

--------------------

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do drink, but not a lot, and not in the last week, so I am like a Kuwaiti.

I mostly enjoy cold beer in the hot summer, or a dash of some liquer in coffee. Wine isn't really my thing, but I do enjoy champagne. Since New Year's Eve, which is also my birthday is coming up, I imagine in another couple weeks my answers may have been slightly different.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timor-Leste?

I had no idea they drank anything there.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised to see that the "favorite type" of alcoholic drink in Sweden is wine, while Spain (though not Portugal) prefers beer.

This is off-topic but I am also surprised about how infrequently alcoholism or the various approaches to living sober are discussed -- or even mentioned-- on the Ship.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, you may have a point there. Why not start a thread, perhaps in Purgatory?

We may make a jolly quip or two about booze on this board, but it is a serious subject.

IJ

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was given a wee cuppie of Bowmore on Sunday. If I admit that I am an Uzbek. If not, a Surinamer.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

What Kirk uses Bowmore for the Lord's Supper?
[Eek!]

I'd go there...

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]

There's a lovely (and probably apocryphal) story told by a member of the congregation in a kirk in Aberdeenshire where the Session Clerk was also the local baker, and he donated what was left on Saturday evening for the communion on Sunday. As the chap in the pew put it, "you were never quite sure what you'd get - last week I got a doughnut".
[Killing me]

[/tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This last week I drank most like I'm from Timor-Leste and quite unlike people from my home country (UK).

I drank less than the average for my home country.
I drank as heavily as people from Nepal, the 35th lightest-drinking country in the world.

Disclaimer: Next week is Christmas. Results may change. [Razz]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got Portugal for the pattern, "but not a very good match". (Wine, beer, spirits in descending order.)This did not surprise me. I got Belarus for my volume, which rather did alarm me. This site, however, looks only at raw volume, rather than the social context. Binge drinking is quite common in Belarus, Russia, Finland, etc., which is something I don't do, and I'm usually eating as I drink, which alters the rate of metabolisiation. That's just an observation, not a rationalisation, because I was already planning to halve my my consumption in 2017.

Roybart raises a very interesting question, or questions , for discussion. In my personal experience with physicians, there are national differences in the attitude toward alcohol consumption. In the UK they tend to be much less puritanical than in Canada. I wonder whether there are also national differences as to the definition of alcoholism.

[ 27. December 2016, 17:31: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently. I'm more like an Italian than a Brit.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You drink most like you're from Portugal (but this is not a very good match)"

and:

"You drink as heavily as people from Lithuania, the third heaviest-drinking country in the world".

In my defence I must add that this week has not been typical, but I have been enjoying the post Christmas break.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timor-Leste, which I had to Google.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where are people seeing the ranking of nations on the website? I can't find it.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016