homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Batter Up! Baseball 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Batter Up! Baseball 2017
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
So is anyone going to take a game off of the Dodgers or can we just crown their @$$'s right now?

The Cubs did take one, which made me sad. But now I'm posting in the middle of the third inning in game 5: Dodgers are up 7-0. [Yipee] The WS starts Tuesday!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel.
Joe E. Lewis

Looks like I’m pulling for the Dodgers. [Frown]

Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I'd root for any team playing the Yankees, especially a California team. (On sale at Fenway: t-shirts that read, "My favorite teams are the Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees.")

Maybe the Astros will stage a comeback? That would be lovely. And as Hedgehog has pointed out with his list of droughts, they're due.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dodgers have been great in the play-offs. And the best WS would certainly be Dodgers-Astros. Now that could be a close series. If it happens, I think the awesome Verlander is very likely to win two for the Astros. But I fancy the Dodgers to take that series 4-2 or 4-3.

And if it's against the Yankees, I think the Dodgers win easily.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The WS starts Tuesday!

and the Yankees are no where in sight. [Smile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Thoughts on how this will go? I'm picking the Dodgers in 7.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find myself unable to make any prediction. The playoffs actually functioned properly for a change, and we have a World Series between what are the two best teams in baseball. AS far as I am concerned, it is a coin flip on how it will go.

[ 24. October 2017, 19:41: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having a hard time picking my team.

The first World Series I ever watched was '88, the last time the Dodgers were in it. I was rooting for the Dodgers, my dad was rooting for the A's, and I still rub it in every time we are both present when they show the Gibson game 1 home run. Plus, as I said, I'm enjoying watching Yasiel Puig acting like a big kid out there.

On the other hand, my Facebook feed seems to be mostly pro-Astros. A number of friends live in LA, and I don't think one of them has mentioned the Dodgers all season. Plus I'm glad they brought back the old logo a few years ago.

I'd go with the Dodgers as the NL team, but the Astros still don't feel like an AL team to me.

I guess I'll just have to watch and enjoy until something pulls me one way or the other.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checked the score when I got home from choir last night, 3-1 Dodgers in the 8th, and went to bed, in an attempt to shorten the duration of a cold.

Apparently that was a bad decision?

With the previously untouchable Dodgers bullpen looking mortal for the first time in a while, we got a series!

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prediction for the first two games was 1-1, which I thought would be one for Kershaw, one for Verlander. In the end the hitherto great Dodgers bullpen managed to lose one unexpectedly. I still think the Dodgers will win the WS 4-2 or 4-3. But it has all the makings of a great, close, series. More later nights for me!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid that the manager may have played it too clever by half by putting pitchers in and out until there was no one left for extra innings. The bull pen is splendid but it isn't bottomless.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

And it wasn't splendid the other night either!
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yeah...

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Great win by the Dodgers; Bellinger out of the slump. And Kershaw v Keuchel up next again. Game 5 looks like the key.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very pleased the Series is level. 3-1 is tough for the trailing team but both have wins on the road, which (I suppose) gives the Dodgers an advantage.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Rollercoaster game 5. Both starter pitchers are done, Dodgers led 4-0, then it became 4-4, then 7-4 to Dodgers, now 7-7! And we're at the bottom of the 4th! Wow!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

And the rollercoaster continued until the 10th. Wild game. Dodgers now up against it.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

The Sunday game was insane. Just nuts.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Thoughts on how this will go? I'm picking the Dodgers in 7.

So -- there will be a seventh game. Please please please let me be 100% right!
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Ouch, RuthW. There's a mountain to climb now.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Darvish chased in the second inning and 10 men left on base.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

Nothing to do but read Roger Angell and dream of mid-February, when pitchers and catchers will report.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

After watching Darvish in Game 3, I did wonder if the Dodgers should have made the bull pen the starting pitcher. From memory, the D-backs did that.

But leaving all those runners on base was a killer. Particularly in the first inning.

It was a great WS up to Game 7, deserved a closer finish than that. Congrats Astros.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016