homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » I fancy a game - Room 101? Have we done this before? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I fancy a game - Room 101? Have we done this before?
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rules would be simple, and based on the various incarnations of the TV programme of the same name, rather than the Orwellian concept after which it is loosely named.

One poster is the Host. He sets the category.

The next three posters (first come first served) pitch to put their object of fear, terror or hatred into the room.

When three would be consigners have posted, the host adjudicates.

The winner is then the host and sets the next category.

Anyone?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being an American and not a TV watcher anyway, I'm not familiar with this. Could you please give an example or two?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - the game is based on Room 101 being where the things you hate most are, or should be, consigned. So suppose I propose the category The Internet. The players would then each, in around 200 words, explain why their particular bête noir, be it the people who comment on the BBC website, people who photograph their dinner, or kittens, should be consigned to Room 101. The person who, in the opinion of the host, makes the most convincing case wins and in this version, hosts the next round and proposes a new category.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, we have done this before. I know because I ran it.....

So let me start off with a category:

Computers.

Three people need to post what they most hate about computers. The category is quite broad, and the explanations need to be clear about why it should be disposed of.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to see computers consigned to Room 101 because it would force a real, living person to carry the can. Too often we hear "It's the computer", "It's a computer error" or "That's the way the system works*". It's all bollocks of course, but without computers this couldn't happen.

*yes tax credits (UK) I'm looking at you.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Point of clarification - the aim is to pick a particular thing that falls under the category and consign that to Room 101, not to offer the best reason to consign the category itself.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl is right, but in this case, I feel that the anger might be justified.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this work for "computers"?

The Windows operating system should go in Room 101 because why wouldn't you use a door? Because the company that makes it is "micro soft" which means that Windows is secretly supportive of trump who has small hands, small pickle. And that's enough for anyone isn't it? In addition, Windows 10 presents adverts now right within the entire operating system. And finally the founder of the company is named "Gates", which brings me right back to using a door.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Going a bit slow, Perhaps it's not a goer.

Any road, I would like to nominate the hell of upgrades.

Specifically on smartphones. You know the drill. You get a new phone, and it's whizzy fast, loads of space. Sound, you think.

And within a year every bloody app you used has been updated a couple of times and is now five times the size, a quarter as fast, and uses four times as much battery. Yes, Facebook, yes, Google Maps, yes MS Office Mobile, I am looking at you.

And the functionality gains? Minimal. Tiny. Insignificant. Mostly the icons get an overhaul and they move a function you use all the time to an obscure place in the interface and bugger up the way you work. But you're stuck with it, because you can't download the old version now. So in a few months, you'll be upgrading, to get something that runs as well as the phone you had five years ago did five years ago, and so the whole painful cycle continues again.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Any road, I would like to nominate the hell of upgrades.

Can I nominate specifically the sentence used by our beloved computer support people: "You shouldn't expect every upgrade to be an improvement."

Just stop and think about that one for a while.

[ 20. March 2017, 16:00: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Well, we have three entries. Let me see.

Computers as a whole, I struggle to put into Room 101, not least because I would be out of work. That may seem selfish, but computers can be really positive. I think your real problem is people, especially people who blame computers for everything.

Windows, I often condemn it to hell at work. But I have also been using a Mac these last few days, and I realise that Windows is not as bad as I thought, so sorry. Windows has to stay.

But upgrades - ah yes. My computer has turned itself off twice in the last week because it felt that it's need to do an upgrade was more important than anything else.

So yes, computer upgrades get into Room 101. I think, in fairness, Leorning Cniht gets this, because people who think their updates are more important than my work are even worse.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - new category.

Sports. [Devil]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I condemn school sports to Room 101. Specifically the aspect of school sports designed to humiliate the slower, fatter or clumsier students. Examples include allowing sporty people to pick sides, with the sportier students picked first, until only the hopeless cases are left, and appeals are made to the gym teacher along the lines of "We don't have to have her, do we? She's useless!" etc.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

NEQ's entry is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'd like to consign football. Not so much football itself, which could happily go on as far as I'm concerned, and I can happily ignore. And therein lies the reason for consignment. I can't ignore it. It won't let me. Not it itself, but too many of its devoted fans.

I consign it for the arseholes who mocked me throughout my childhood for not being into their obsession.

I consign it for the noisy arseholes who take over town centres on Saturday afternoons shouting about the bunch of overpaid ponces through whom they celebrate vicarious victories.

I consign it for the takeover of the telly every two year for weeks at a time for the World Cup and some European thing that they go on about.

I consign it for making Saturday afternoon radio virtually unlistenable to because nearly every fucking station interrupts the music every few minutes for some juvenile man-child to shout "Goooooooaaaaaal!!!!" in a way that no-one over the age of about 9 should think is cool.

I consign it for taking up valuable slots on otherwise serious and interesting news magazines on Radio 4, like the Today programme.

I consign it for having a "season" that lasts most of the year, and even when it's not "in season", still dominating the news because of bickering about transfers and managers being fired.

I consign it for being so all-pervasive, so divisive, so always fucking there.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I consign post-game/match interviews to Room 101 because there isn't a remotely original or interesting way of talking about a possibly exciting (or not) sporting event that is now over. They all say the same things over and over and over in the same lingo. Same questions, same answers, same yawners.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Lyda*Rose: post-game interviews. This one's going to escape. Not because I think they're interesting: I find them exceedingly dull, because I don't really care about the sport they're talking about. But they escape because I'm a geek who finds value in an analysis of what happened, and so imagine that for people who are sports geeks, such interviews have interest.

Which brings us to a close-run contest between NEQ's compulsory school sports / ritual humiliation of the slow, fat, and uncoordinated, and Karl's ubiquitous beautiful game.

Both have their merits.

As a fully-paid-up member of the plodding along at the back wheezing fraternity, I sympathize with NEQ's position. But despite being picked last on most occasions, I grew to almost enjoy school sports. I didn't have to perform better than the athletic types - I just had to try do do a bit better then the other team's crappy athletes.

But at the end of the day, there can only be one winner, and Karl is going to walk away with the cup for his culturally dominant arseholes forcing their culture on the rest of us.

Shipmate
# 76

Why thank you. I can only feel sorry for whatever else gets consigned to the vault of horrors from this point on.

New category - Public Transportation

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to use public transport to get to work and I would like to consign to Room 101 those who manage, administer, arrange funding and legislate for public transport without having to use public transport to get to work.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to consign the Pacer trains which are converted buses STILL used on our journey to Manchester.

[Mad]

Pacer trains

🚂 🚂

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My suggestion is Southern Rail for its overcrowded, late and expensive trains, compounded by strikes, stoppages and treating the public as pawns in some sort of surreal game.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

So we have three candidates. And by gum it's hard to choose between them.

Pacers are an easy target. And yet such a deserving one. Anyone who's alternately had their teeth set on edge by the squealing of one, and then shaken out of their sockets by the ride, will have every sympathy with Boogie's desire to never have to ride one again.

Public transport systems are always designed by people who don't use them, just as was also observed about state schools and the NHS in Yes Minister long long ago. It's absolutely maddeening; there are times when the quickest way by train from Sheffield to Darnall, for example, is to get a train to Kiveton Park, which passes through Darnall but doesn't stop, then get the next one back towards Sheffield, which does. About 15 miles to do 2. This could not possibly have been designed by anyone who ever had to actually use the service.

Southern Rail, with its strikes and delays - I don't have direct experience of this one but I keep on hearing about it. I feel the pain, but overcrowded, late and expensive trains happen everywhere, so it's hard to particularly pick on Southern Rail particularly without putting all the other operators in with them (and why not, I hear you cry - well, because no-one made the case for it, as if it needs making...)

The buses on wheels (actually a design based on a bus, rather than actually made from one) or the rubbish systems - it's a hard call, and my heart wants to see the Pacers condemned to Room 101. But, you know, taking the long view, the buggers will rust eventually or fall apart, or shake themselves to bits. Crappily and thoughtlessly designed systems on the other hand will always be with us unless someone boots them into the Outer Darkness, so Sioni takes the prize. Don't leave it on the train because you know it'll never get to lost property. Or at least never get out.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

OK, my category is that child-substitute, furry companion, servant, slave or boss. Yes, which kind of pet should be consigned to Room 101.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate lap dogs.

I mean, seriously. If you want a dog then get a proper dog. One that can bark and chase sticks. If you want a rodent, then get a rodent. Trying to do both at once and ending up with a tiny, yappy, fragile animal which has to be carried everywhere and looks utterly ridiculous is the worst of every world.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Furry Psychopaths, aka cats.

I speak as staff to a cat (the idea that these things have owners is laughable. And as for masters, as with dogs? [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] )

Firstly because they use their psychic mind control powers to make us actually like them, despite being sadistic balls of spitting hatred.

Secondly, because despite all we do for them, they reward us by finding inoffensive bits of wildlife (mice are totally inoffensive when they're outside) and doing one or more of the following:

1. Leaving them in the shadowy netherworld between life and death, twitching gently, in the middle of the floor.

2. Eating them then throwing them up again half an hour later.

3. Eating them, keeping them down, and costing you a fortune in worming tablets, during the administration of which they tear your hands to pieces.

4. Dismantling them and leaving the bits (when they find you can't put them back together again and they don't work afterwards even if you try) all over the kids' bedroom floors.

They have slighty ornamental value, but they even ruin that when they walk away with their tail in the air showing you their teatowel holder.

Bastards the lot of them.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assign tarantulas (which some people adore as pets [Ultra confused] ) to Room 101 because they give me serious heebie-jeebies. Which makes them true inhabitants of 1984's Room 101 for people like me who are arachnophobes.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The time has come (at last, I hear) to announce the winner of the competition and therefore the loser who/which will be consigned to Room 1101.

Three diverse contenders with pros and cons, so here goes:

Lapdogs: indeed, are they dogs? They do few of the things dogs do, but maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Cats: these must be the Marmite of pets; you love them or hate them, but there is no middle ground. Almost worth a Dead Horse thread.

Tarantulas are unlikely pets, but I know people who keep rats and swear to their charm and sociability. All spiders are industrious so this objection to Tarantulas so I guess this points to simple arachnophobia, which is nobosy's fault, least of all the spider.

That makes it a straight fight between cat and (lap)dog. Had it been cat and dog (as a whole) cat would have to go, but lapdogs really have none of the virtues of a real dog and pound-for-pound the vet bills are staggering.

Imaginary Friend therefore wins this round and cats survive, bringing them down to eight lives.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

(I do like fancy rats. But not tarantulas, oh no.)

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, the new category is famous evangelicals.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first evangelical into Room 101 needs to be Pat Robertson. At 85, he is well past his sell-by date for headlining a TV show. He has gone past the usual evangelical pronouncements on [insert favorite Dead Horse here] and has been making truly wackadoo comments like feminism leading women into witchcraft or the Haiti 2010 earthquake being a curse from God.

(More here )

[ 30. March 2017, 01:38: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I would like to nominate Franklin Graham, son of Billy. Billy Graham might not be everyone's cup of tea but WTF would his son be doing if he had been born Joe Schmoe? Above all he needs a Grady Wilson, to keep him on track, but I'm not sure he's the kind to listen to anyone, least of all his old man.

I have read that he has become a vegan, citing the experience of Daniel: does anyone have a convenient lion?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Shipmate
# 76

I'd like to nominate Jonathan Edwards.

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is the sort of thing that totally buggers up my faith because I keep on living in fear that he was right.

So into Room 101 with him and let me believe in the love of God again.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly famous evangelicals, but a priest who once told me in confession, "If you had been run over by a car on your way to confession, you'd have gone straight to hell!" And another who told me, "If you kept your hands on your rosary beads you wouldn't be doing that."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to nominate John Haggee. I found him being given a slot on TBN UK a little while ago. He’s a hellfire and damnation preacher who is so filled by hate that the excess spews forth from his mouth like diarrhoea. The pinnacle of his stupidity, though, was found in the fact that his “ministry” largely revolves warning people against antichrists and yet he went and endorsed one for president of the United States!
Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay, so we have four (and a half) nominations this time. And they are all very worthy.

Pat Robertson's slow descent into warped dementia is definitely a Bad Thing™, but given his advancing years I suspect that we won't have to worry about him for too much longer.

As for Franklin Graham, nepotism is definitely not something to be condoned. But these days, building a career based on your father's "successes" appears to be able to take you all the way to the White House, so I think this if rather small beer in comparison.

Endorsing the aforementioned father in his presidential bid is sadly de rigueur for these crackpots so while of course it is an idiotic position for a professed person of faith to take, perhaps John Haggee can be excused for simply trying to fit in with the crowd and we can move on.

But for propagating the enduring misery caused by the doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement, I think KLS's nomination of Jonathan Edwards has to win it. The sooner that theology is banished to a place that never sees the light of day, the better the world will be.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Shipmate
# 76

Almost feel sorry for him with all the football fans in there.

So it falls to me to nominate a new category, and I invite you to knock yourselves out over Dining Out

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Oooh! This is quite specific.

If I decide to have steak, which is relatively often as we aren't equipped to cook steak properly at home (ie, for a short period of time at a very high temperature), then a few minutes after we have been served some obsequious smarm-pot of a waiter will ask "How is your steak sir?".

Not a word about the chips (soggy), the salad (tired) or the other vegetables (over cooked and uninspired) just the meat. I can't blame the waiter tbh, s/he has been instructed by some suit who hasn't served food since they worked at McDonald's in their college days.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nomination for Dining Out is the restaurants (and they are legion) that treat single diners -- especially women -- as if they have the plague when they ask for a single table. First they question you: "How many?" "One," you answer (after all, you could be meeting someone, or your dining companion could be parking the car). But then they repeat it, "Just one?!?" "Yes," you reply. "Do you wanna sit at the bar?" "No, I would like a table." So they take you to the very special table they reserve for the likes of you. If they don't have a table next to the entrance to the restrooms, they'll sit you right next to the entrance to the kitchen.

They don't seem to realize that single women generally tip quite generously, and since they're not chatting with their companion(s) they're going to be freeing up that table a lot more quickly than that couple over there at the premium table.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

How to compete with that?

Well, I'll nominate waiters that want to be your best friend. This is probably a pond thing, with my natural British reserve being set on edge by American egalitarianism or something, but I'm not really interested in Hello, my name is Carl telling me what his college major is, asking if I'm here for a special occasion, or telling me about how much he enjoys the main course that I have just selected.

The kind of relationship I'm looking for with Carl is one where I order food, he brings it, and then retires discreetly to somewhere from where I can summon him with a glance or gesture if I require his services.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate plates that are not plates - boards, slates, you name it.

Arrrrrrgggghhhh!

Ceramic plates have been with us for millennia for good reason, they work. None of the other nonsense does the job of keeping your food in just the right place and being hygienic to wash up.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

Well, I was going to have trouble awarding this one, but not now.

Sioni - a very annoying thing, yes, but as you yourself said, very specific. Now, if you'd more generally fingered the annoying habit of staff asking you how your meal is half way through it (I'm probably on the ASD spectrum, but even neurotypicals tell me they don't know if this is a politeness question or a real one), you could have been holding the key even now to the vault.

LC - I can see how that grates. But compared with the other extreme, the sniffy waiter who makes it abundantly clear that only a neanderthal philistine would order that wine with that dish, it's a minor irritation. As someone who prefers his dead cow, if not a Burnt Offering to Odin, at least cooked so it doesn't bleed, I've had my share of sniffy foodies, so I'd prefer the over-familiar one, really.

Which brings us to looking down on singletons. And as someone who endured a Sad Wenchless Condition (not my words! Not my words!) for many years, I sympathise with any negativity towards the alone. But then Boogie swept in.

Boogie's nomination needs no justification. She's Just Right. But for those who don't realise how bad this can be, I give you http://wewantplates.com

Boogie - the floor is yours.

[ 02. April 2017, 16:05: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

New category -

Items of clothing

[Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

Ties.

What other item of clothing is so:

*Pointless
*Functionless
*Uncomfortable
*Ubiquitously required?

I mean, why? It's like a boy's initiation into a curse that will remain with him until he retire, the day his school uniform or dress code require he place this stylised noose around his neck. And there it'll stay, that faint feeling of strangulation, rendering it impossible to open his top button in hot weather without transgressing the Rules Of What Is Considered Smart, lending an air of artificiality to the marking Hatches, Matches and Dispatches, adding an unwelcome layer of discomfort to job interviews, and getting in the butter at breakfast when he's still too addled to notice what's happening.

And they mark you into the tribe of your oppressors. The man who refuses you a loan will wear one. The man who fires you from your job will wear one. The man who refuses you entry to a club will be wearing one. Every bad decision that impacts you, if it's made by a man, will be made with one wearing a tie.

Fortunately the stranglehold (see what I did there?) is loosening, but it needs acceleration. Let's finally declare "no more" to these stupid pieces of cloth and stick ties, once and for bloody ever, into where they belong. Room 101!

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Branded clothing.

There are clothes that are well-made. There are clothes that are well-cut, and flatter your figure. Clothes come in all different styles, fabrics, and colours, and all these are valuable.

But then there is cheap clothing which is apparently rendered both desirable and expensive by the addition of a clothing company's advert. It's as pointless as the Kardashians, who as I understand are famous for being famous, and are desirable because they are famous.

It's a massive ponzi scheme. They've got no bottom (if you can excuse the statement in reference to the Kardashians, who famously do have bottoms). Some brand is "in" for entirely random reasons unrelated to the quality of the clothing, and therefore any clothing carrying that brand's logo is high-status and desirable, regardless of its quality.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to nominate men's trousers.

I'm not the tallest of people, at 5 foot 6/7 inches. As a consequence, I have an inside leg measurement of 29 inches. I'm also not overly skinny. Not fat; just not skinny, so need a 34 inch waist. But men's trousers are designed for how fashionistas think I should be shaped, rather than how I am shaped. So most trousers that have a 34 inch waist (or even a 32) have an inside leg that is for someone far taller. There are only one or two places I can go to get clothes, simply because shops won't stock trousers for the slightly shorter man.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And women's trousers can join them. Also shaped for what the fashion industry thinks people should look like, not what they actually do look like. My impossible dream: finding a pair of trousers that fits in the waist AND the hips AND the thighs.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I agree entirely about the trousers and branded clothing.

But I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like having to wear a tie. It must be pure torture.

As a child I wanted to be a boy, as I'd noticed men get all the best jobs etc etc. But I'll give all that up not to have to wear a tie!

In they go to Room 101!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

Me again? I'll be running out of ideas!

New category - Telly (that's TV to our friends in the colonies)

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Since moving to the US, I can only possibly make one nomination here.

Adverts. US TV is basically unwatchable because of the frequency of adverts. You get a few minutes of programme, and then - oh look, it's a middle-aged man with haemorrhoids, and a woman who inexplicably selects a pair of tight white shorts to go rock climbing. They aren't nearly so omnipresent in the UK - the advert breaks on ITV are even useful for the purposes of brewing tea and going to the loo - but they are the reason I don't watch TV in the US.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News anchors who engage in silly, mindless prattle instead of reading the news.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Reality TV shows.

OK, they were interesting once, but they are tedious. They generally involve people being laughed at by vile humans for trying to do something useful.

So this is anything involving Simon Cowell, for starters.

And stuff like Gogglebox - I don't want to watch boring people talking about TV shows that I wasn't interested in the first time.

And "Celebrity" reality shows - Big Brother, The Jungle - populated by people who I (and many others) have never heard of, who usually feature in shows that I have only barely heard of. Normally other reality shows.

Can we not get something decent on instead of this tripe?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016