homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Best Bond

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Bond
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Celebrity Death Pool, there was a little discussion over whether Roger Moore was the best Bond.

I would contend that he was the best Bond, but that he wasn't in the best Bond films. Sean Connery got the better plots, scripts and co-stars. This is the Circus because we can't (yet) post polls into Heaven.

Who was your best Bond and why?

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going to be like best Doctor Who. The 'best' one is the one who got you into the franchise. For me it is Brosnan, simply because I wasn't bothered previously and a friend wanted to go. The papers had been full of articles along the lines of "Is James Bond relevant anymore?" and the producers made this the subtext of the earlier part of the movie. Just as one was thinking that this was a QTWTAIN Brosnan borrowed a Russian tank and engaged in a car chase across St. Petersburg. BADADADA BABADA! Which made me want to go back and watch the other films.

Was Brosnan better than the other Bonds? Who knows. But he was MY Bond.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm disappointed that there's no option for "Idris Elba when he finally gets the part."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who swears that his favorite Bond is Lazenby, and I don't think he's just trying to be different. He thinks he captured a vulnerability that no other Bond actor has since.

When I say something to my wife and I want her to understand that I'm supposed to sound like James Bond, I say it like Connery. (Probably because he has the most distinct voice- I don't know how I would try to sound like any other Bond).

That said, if I'm sitting down to watch a Bond film, more often than not I'm going for a trash / camp late 1970s Moore film that I can laugh at. So Moore gets my vote.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something wrong with the poll.
It has

• David Niven - Not really Bond, but a camp parody.
  • Timothy Dalton - The poll is for Best Bond...
  • George LazzzZzZzZzZZzz
I love Connery's, Moore's and Brosnan's Bonds for different reasons but needs must, Craig is the winner by a narrow margin.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a case for Lazenby being the best Bond, but the strongest storyline and the best music do not a Bond make.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
... The 'best' one is the one who got you into the franchise ...

I think you've hit it on the head, Callan; that's why Roger Moore gets my vote.

If I had to rate a second-best, it would be Daniel Craig; none of the others really quite hit the spot for me, but he had the right mix of suavity and toughness.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted for Craig, though it's very close between him and Connery. I'm one of those rare people who actually liked Timothy Dalton as Bond--I think he, perhaps even better than Craig, captured the self-loathing that is at the core of Bond's personality in the books--and to me, Bond is first and foremost a character from novels, with film as a derivative version (I don't think the self-loathing was put there intentionally, because Fleming wasn't a self-conscious enough writer to do it--it was just his own unconscious psychopathology leaking in).

Moore was too genial, good-natured, and cheerful--the hard-edge of Bond is entirely absent. He's just Bond as action figure.

To rank them:

Craig
Connery
Dalton
Brosnan
Lazenby
Moore
Niven

BTW, Fleming said that in his mind Bond looked a bit like Hoagy Carmichael, which would seem to make Brosnan the best physical casting.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't vote on this!
As I mentioned in "the other place", Moore was my favourite Bond (and is the Bond who "got me into" Bond) but I don't think he was the best Bond.

The best is a toss-up between the original (Connery) and the latest (Craig). Connery is, I think the best Bond-being-a-screen-Bond, but Craig is the best Bond-being-like-Bond-in-the-books-Bond. Craig has taken Bond back to the darker, nastier Bond of the books and I'm impressed with that... but I still like he of the Shcottish shounds, and "Goldfinger" is the best Bond film and that was Connery. Since the poll allows only one choice...

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having read the Bond books before I saw any of the films I'm afraid I can't escape the physical description of JB as given in the Fleming books so it has to be Pierce Brosnan, who has the lot: height, hair and eye colour, and a degree of suave sophistication with a hint of menace.

Daniel Craig is simply too blond.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came up in the Brosnan era, and he's third or fourth on my list. Probably not so much his version of the character, but rather the fact that his movies seem so quaint, at least at this time. Everyone was wondering how you do Bond in a safe, post-Soviet era, and the question of every movie seemed to be "where do we find a bad guy now?"

Never mind that the Soviets were rarely the bad guys in the previous movies, and never mind that there actually were threats in the world that would shatter our temporary confidence.

That, and Madonna as the fencing instructor. [Help]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
... The 'best' one is the one who got you into the franchise ...

I think you've hit it on the head, Callan; that's why Roger Moore gets my vote.
I got into the franchise through Connery, then I discovered that the books were better, which is why I voted for the Bond closest to the one that Fleming created. Timothy Dalton.

The darker more violent Bond of Dalton is the closest, and therefore best. However neither of the Dalton films would be the best Bond film, but that is a different question.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016