homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Song Association (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Song Association
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that be Pictures of You?

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9440 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were those pictures taken on Kodachrome?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6385 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul Simon: Homeless

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1181 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A song that I've always thought implied a non-domiciled condition...

Bottle Of Wine - The Fireballs

(though I guess he does have a bed)

--------------------

Posts: 6385 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gillian Welch - Tennessee

Association is with booze, as the chorus runs in part:

It's beefsteak when I'm working
and whiskey when I'm dry

There's various other references to booze, in the the context of the temptations of the flesh.

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Long distance information get me Memphis...
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or just dial the Operator.

(Is there such a thing anymore? There certainly aren't telephone dials.)

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I wonder if Ray in L.A. is the same guy as Billy Joel's friend who moved out there?
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

The Beatles: A Day in the Life

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I read the news today, oh boy...

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Billy Bragg: It Says Here

A song that skewers the right-wing press in Britain, over and over again. My favourite skewer:

Could it be an infringement of the freedom of the press to print pictures of women in states of undress?

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Thematic connection...

Dirty Laundry - Don Henley

(Interesting video. You have to question how effective a satire really is, when the supposed targets of the satire so gleefully take the ball and run with it.)

[ 22. September 2017, 16:59: Message edited by: Stetson ]

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Connection: 1930s headgear.

Which has never been worked quite as successfully by anyone as by Michael Jackson in Smooth Criminal

(It's the long version; Greatest. Pop. Video. Ever. Made. and more than worth ten minutes of anyone's life [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Tom Waites: Romeo is Bleeding

Romeo has been quite naughty.

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Garbage: #1 Crush (Romeo & Juliet version

I really don't know why this version got canned. I loved it.

[ 24. September 2017, 01:29: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Pursuant to the theme of romantic subservience...

The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Ollie Olsen: Win/Lose from Dogs in Space

I seem to be on a soundtracks thing.

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

From another Australian soundtrack...

Skinhead from Romper Stomper

(Double-click, as possibly NSFW. Normally I wouldn't post a neo-nazi song, but I'm pretty sure that one was made up for the movie, which is anti-nazi.)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Next you'll be saying that Springtime for Hitler isn't seriously pro-Nazi.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Mel Brooks: The Inquisition

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

More politically incorrect(and rightly so) Spaniards...

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings: Cortez the Killer

These two have been my favorite musicians for a good long while now. I'm starting to think this is it for my music taste from here to eternity. Anyway, I love their version of the Neil Young classic.

--------------------
Human

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dancer Romancer by The Burning Hell.

Another 2 person band, singing about misfortune.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11043 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Echoes of Zion: Atlanta's Tragic Monday

--------------------
Human

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a tragic Monday to a much less serious Manic one
Posts: 770 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Or perhaps Monday Monday.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

The Easybeats: Friday on My Mind

--------------------
Human

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pixies: Where is my mind

--------------------
Wronger than a drooling idiot on stupid juice - but I understand his argument.
mousethief (paraphrase)
----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2831 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

The Game Of Love ~ Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Bending minds leads to Madness: I like Driving in my Car

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether driving or parked, I feel safest of all in cars.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63085 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't keep asking me Y Reg.

--------------------
plug plug

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Alexei Sayle: Ullo John Got a New Motor

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Gang Show: Crest of a Wave

Link is Sayling.

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The Headstones - Smile And Wave
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold

--------------------
mousethief (paraphrase)
----

Posts: 2831 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Is Bette Midler's The Rose made of stone?

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

The Black Sorrows: Harley and Rose

--------------------
Human

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt Monro - Born free.

Connection - Don Black.

--------------------
plug plug

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

The Specials: Free Nelson Mandela

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

I don't mind Jimi's vocal, but I do quite like this solo version.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Howling Wolf: Little Red Rooster

--------------------
Human

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Seekers "Red Rubber Ball" (The song is good. Sorry about the dorky animation. [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21288 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Ray Charles - I got a woman

A good Pentecostal boy, just like The Killer [Snigger]

--------------------
mousethief (paraphrase)
----

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Bess, You Is My Woman Now - George and Ira Gershwin

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Ella & Louis: Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Thing", by Phil Harris.

Novelty song. Lyrics on the left side. Music sample on top. Recordings of it from the Dr. Demento radio show are on the right.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17937 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016