homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Song Association (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Song Association
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wild Thing - The Troggs

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One)

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple Minds - Speed your Love to me

(Because Iggy starts the best music show on Australian TV - rage - and this song ends it).

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple Gifts (Shaker Hymn)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a lovely song.

Alison Krauss/Gillian Welch: I'll Fly Away

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best version of that song is from the TV show Treme.
Which leads my mind inevitably to ...
John Butler Trio - Gov did nothing

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing's gonna change my love for you
(Truly awful song, I'm sorry.)

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Sweet of you to apologise*

Nirvana - All Apologies

*on a thread which recently featured Midler's 'The Rose', which is an abomination, I don't think you have much to apologise for.

[ 27. October 2017, 01:49: Message edited by: Dark Knight ]

--------------------

----

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing to apologize for when you're wearing your Famous Blue Raincoat, nor sorry for linking to the Jennifer Warnes version from the album of the same name, written by the great Leonard Cohen.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Love Is Blue" was a favorite of mine in middle school.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Waites: Blue Valentines

--------------------
Human

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Velvet - Bobby Vinton
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Bob Dylan - It's all over now, Baby Blue

--------------------

----

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Au contraire. It ain't over til it's over
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Over There: WW1 US Recruitment Song

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Simon and Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Rod Stewart - Sailing
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kenneth McKellar - Song of the Clyde.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul Warfield - Old Man River

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Ferry Cross The Mersey - Gerry & The Pacemakers

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Roxy Music: Love is the Drug

My fave Brian Ferry song. Also the song which led me to believe he was Russian, for some reason. I believed that for at least a year. [Ultra confused]

[ 07. November 2017, 05:56: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Somewhat less benign than love...

Laryssa Campbell - Cocaine Blues

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Gillian Welch: My Morphine

Seems opiate problems are not new...

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I'll assume the audial connection is obvious to anyone who listened to My Morphine...

The Lonely Goatherd

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Ah well, if we're on to the work of Julie Andrews,
A spoonful of sugar

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll see your Spoonful of Sugar and raise you Sugar Sugar by The Archies (in reality a group of session musicians using multi-track recording).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I prefer the Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Ike & Tina Turner River Deep Mountain High because I once read that Mick Jagger based his dance moves on Tina Turner's.
John3000
Apprentice
# 18786

- Posted      Profile for John3000   Email John3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Somerville - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

I've always liked that video which seems to be a cheesy celebration of humanity [Yipee]

Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

It is indeed, a feat of cheesy magnificence. Love it. [Big Grin]
From Jimmy Somerville to Green Day - St Jimmy

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Cold Chisel: Cheap Wine

For lead singer Jimmy Barnes.

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Is that cheap wine Red Red Wine?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Is that cheap wine Red Red Wine?

Definitely not as strong as the Red Army
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Phil Ochs: I aint Marching Anymore

So many songs to choose from. It took me an hour to settle on this reaction to the previous.

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

So many songs to choose from. It took me an hour to settle on this reaction to the previous.

[And very appropriate for Veterans/Remembrance Day.]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

[And very appropriate for Veterans/Remembrance Day.]
[I can't help but notice, though, that he avoids discomforting his liberal audience by omitting any reference to Hitler in his condemnation of World War II.]

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

I know what the King would say to all this commentary, rather than playing the game.

Elvis Presley - A Little less conversation

--------------------

----

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Talking Heads: Stay up Late

--------------------
Human

WatchingGodWork
Apprentice
# 18866

- Posted      Profile for WatchingGodWork   Author's homepage   Email WatchingGodWork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After Midnight, Eric Clapton

--------------------
"I am the cherished object of Divine diligence."

Posts: 7 | From: Cedar Falls IA, USA | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Muldaur

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Abba - Gimme gimme gimme (a man after midnight)
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin'

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Primal Scream - Rocks because the first time I heard it on the radio, I honestly thought it was ZZ Top. (Tenuous, moi? [Biased] )
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

D-Generation: Things of Stone and Wood Melbourne Cliches

A parody song, rock/stone...

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (of course!)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

In which Sir Bob asks "How does it feel?" which is the first line of New Order's Blue Monday
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

lol, nice associating there.

Duke Ellington: Memphis Blues

--------------------
Human

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Forgive me for breaking the chain, but the song I'm associating with today, the day the Australian population voted resoundingly for marriage equality
[Smile]

Dixie Cups - Chapel of Love

--------------------

----

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love will find a way.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Billy Bragg Sexuality

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016