homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Song Association (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Song Association
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Australia! [Axe murder] [Big Grin]

From one Bill to a pair of Bills.
Billy Bragg & Bill Bailey - Unisex Chip Shop

(Contains the immortal first line "I used to buy my chips from an oppressive chip shop regime". Genius.) [Big Grin]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A newer one from Our Billy, same old theme sadly.

Billy Bragg: Saffiya Smiles

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gilbert O'Sullivan - I've never been short of a smile .
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Short People - Randy Newman

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shane Nicholson - Short Fuse

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who wears short shorts? The Purple People Eater (Sheb Wooley)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prince - Purple Rain
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Gotta love the Swedes.

Stockholm Academic Mens Choir: It's Raining Men

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

It also rains in Africa (Toto).

That's the original, but I like this version (be sure your volume is up a little at the beginning).

--------------------
~Tortuf

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For another chorale arrangement with rhythms (and their Swedish Folk Song is worth checking out too), there's Bah'ari Gibb (so annoyed they were sold out when they played London recently).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Bahari Gibb was obviously Barry Gibb's name when he was following the Maharishi in the early 1970's.
Bee Gees: I've Just Got to get a Message to You

--------------------
Human

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that message be, like The Police one, in a bottle? Busked on the streets of London.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NWA - Fuck tha Police

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Clash - I Fought the Law

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I Shot the Sheriff - Bob Marley

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Judas Priest: Breaking the Law

--------------------
Human

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Pierce the Veil - King for a Day for another bank based video.
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rammstein - Ich Will

ETF: terrible German spelling

[ 04. December 2017, 13:54: Message edited by: Dark Knight ]

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Ich Liebe Dich
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

That's not what I heard ...
Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me
[Killing me]

--------------------

----

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

[Killing me]
(I hate) Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Well, if She Hates Me... She Loves You (The Beatles, of course).

Sorry for the cross-post!

[ 05. December 2017, 13:32: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and she's leaving home.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by jrw:
and she's leaving home.

Then she must be Homeward Bound.

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Paul Kelly: Leaps and Bounds

--------------------
Human

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

Time to get Christmassy.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Sweet: Fox on the Run

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Band on the Run - Paul McCartney

--------------------
~Tortuf

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Born to Run Bruce Springsteen
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Run, rabbit run, rabbit run, run, run as performed by Flanagan and Allen

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Airplane!: River of Jordan

--------------------
Human

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Jordan Bellowhead.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Shirley Caesar: Jordan River

--------------------
Human

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Down in the river to pray Alison Krauss
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Springsteen: The River

--------------------
Human

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

No one does working class angst/coming of age/ realising the world is a really tough place for most of us better than the Boss. [Overused]

Well - except maybe this bloke:

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - Working Class Hero

--------------------

----

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

When it comes to class observations, there's always the mighty JC.
Pulp - Common People

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which, as an 80s teen, leads me to:

Love of the Common People - Paul Young

(And yes, I know it's a cover.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That song talks about the challenges of family life, which is a fruitful source of material for pop music.

It brings to mind Level 42's Running in the Family.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family? We are Family!

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But maybe not quite like this family:

When You're An Addams

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the Addams family and Souxsie and the Banshees both had an influence on the goth subculture.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Ella Fitzgerald: It's too darn hot from Kiss me Kate.

--------------------
Human

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

That's to be expected if you take Trains to Brazil.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Then maybe you should take the train to The City of New Orleans instead, though it can be hot and very humid there as well.

--------------------
~Tortuf

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Tom Waites: I Wish I was in New Orleans

--------------------
Human

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

From Waites to Weights.
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

The Way it is weight is / way it is....gettit?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God's away on business: get a job.

(Also thinking of the UK's new leaky ship, and still grooving on Tom Waites)

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016