homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Song Association (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Song Association
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's stinking to heaven, are we Knocking on Heaven's Door with Bob Dylan.

(I immediately thought of weird connections with Loudon Wainwright III, because he's performing here tomorrow night and my links are to other people on the bill.)

[ 29. July 2017, 06:50: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But does heaven hear you knocking?
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one's for Dave Edmunds Fitzgerald.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A somewhat less accurate story about death and destruction in the Great Lakes area

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's stay by the Great Lakes then.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I add resurrection allegory to lake.

The Mary Ellen Carter -Stan Rogers

quote:
Rise again, rise again; though your heart it be broken
And life about to end
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again

(One of my favourite songs)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Skipping the allegory...

"Did he, did he, did he...?"

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Billy Bragg and Wilco: Christ for President Topical [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I hear Jesus just left Chicago.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus walks in Idaho according to the Oyster Band in Everywhere I Go

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't He take the bus?

(I hate to bring this atrocity into the thread -- even the title is grammatically wrong!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

According to Paul Simon it's Take the Bus, Gus as one of the 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Doesn't He take the bus?

(I hate to bring this atrocity into the thread -- even the title is grammatically wrong!)

Yeah. At least Kingsley Amis' exercise in celestial lese-majeste had enough theological background to acknowledge the Incarnation, while saying that it was not as big a deal as traditionally thought. Joan Osborne sings as if no one had ever thought of the idea of God becoming "one of us".

And the really sad thing is there probably are Christians out there who thought the song was blasphemous for suggesting God could ever be a person on Earth.

(This post is not meant as an entrant into the game.)

[ 31. July 2017, 08:58: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Osborn's song was actually written by a Christian (guy from Mister Mister or the Hooters, forget which) and the point was to get people to think about the idea of the incarnation.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neil Young: Soldier

I always saw this song as incarnational, so much so that I once gave a sermon on it. Pity the congregation that must suffer a person in formation [Smile] I formed my way out of ministry, to be clear.

--------------------
Human

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's Buffy Saint Marie's Universal Soldier.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Couldn't find any other English-language songs mentioning that one particular Indian religion, so this will have to do.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Elvis Presley covering Sweet Caroline

I'm claiming double association: sweet and a cover version [Yipee]

--------------------
Human

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is only one Caroline

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Perhaps. But there is a Carolina in the pines.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But is it a Lonesome pine ?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

From the blue ridge Mountains of Virginia to The Hills of West Virginia by Phil Ochs

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Where you can Meet Virginia.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might you meet Virginia in St. Louis?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Well, this lyricist was from St. Louis, but you weren't likely to meet him there.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This guy lived in St. Louis too! Although for a short time. But during that time, apparently, he cut this piano roll.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Yep, we've been to his house and listened to his player piano. Very cool, kid was inspired to grow up and come back to help out)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Ahh, the theme from Sting! This is The Russians

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

How about not just Russians but Russians and Americans?

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

David O'Doherty: Very Mild Superpowers

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The Kinks: Superman

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Donovan: Sunshine Superman

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunshine on My Shoulders can make me cry, especially if I forget my SPF lotion.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Just a few minutes ago I was listening to Sunshine of Your Love.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Leslie Gore sang of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. Then she came out as gay. Hmm.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The awfulness of this song is somewhat mitigated by the presence of Debbie Harry. How she manages to sell a totally convincing come-hither look to a non-living object is truly amazing.

(And screw you, Paul Williams)

[ 05. August 2017, 08:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

A Belgian frog, I claim.

Stromae: Formidable

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Picking up on the meteorological connection with that formidable song.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

And speaking of parks...

--------------------
~Tortuf

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

All my connections with McArthur Park link to Priscilla Queen of the Desert - so I Will Survive seems suitable for the cake.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Another one of those esoteric connections...
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to play this game.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Try, Try, Try from Fly, Fly, Fly by the late great Larry Norman.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Galilee is also mentioned here...

Put Your Hand In The Hand

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Well, if we're talking about hands... I Want to Hold Your Hand.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

From the same show...

Let's Spend [Some Time] Together

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Oh, well, if we're trawling the Ed Sullivan show, Don't be Cruel.

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're going to spend some time, why not be a big spender ?

Oh no, cross post! I'll try again in a minute....

[ 05. August 2017, 19:59: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes, apparently, one has to be Cruel to be Kind
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

That song sounds so sixties for 1979! Speaking of 60s and "kind", there's a kind of hush, Herman's Hermits opine.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016