homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The origin of Islamic extremism (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The origin of Islamic extremism
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by Croesos;
quote:
If that's your goal,
No, it's not my 'goal' - just the realities of living a 'born again' life in a world of unbelievers who we are NOT supposed to kill for their enmity or coerce into conforming to us!

And whatever time it is where you are, it's late here - I'm packing in for the night....

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Why specifically Islamic states? Is the Russian bombing campaign in Syria (to pick one example) notably less extreme than the Syrian government's own bombing campaign (conducted with Russian support)?

In this case, context again - the discussion was about the difference between different manifestations of Islam. I actually did originally leave out the word 'Islamic' there but realised that I'd be widening a bit beyond the original context. Anabaptist pacifism isn't exactly happy about any war. Syria is a mess; the only distinction I can see is that Russia may be trying a bit harder to appear civilised than the Syrian government itself.

Your opposition seems to be to the state generally, so we're talking not just about war but also the other forms of state use of violence. This includes most of the ways modern societies discourage or punish internal bad actors. Abolishing the state would create all kinds of problems, none of which you seem to have any realistic solutions to.
I owe my peace to the state monopoly of violence. I rely on it. Invoke it. Abolition of the state cannot be a Christian tenet. Leavening it, softening it, making up for its economically necessary starkness, filling in the gaps with charity, opposing abuse of power beyond the utilitarian is. We are utterly dependent on the state, there is no alternative, how can we repay, serve accordingly?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by Martin60;
quote:
We are utterly dependent on the state,
I think I'd say we are utterly dependent on God. God deals in the world explicitly via his people, less obviously 'providentially' through the world's own institutions. We trust him when he says we his people are to limit our tendency to meddling and being 'bossy-boots' in the state ourselves, that he is also providentially ruling/overruling the state to bring good out of it, including to bring good even out of its evil acts.

And yes we are to seek to do good to the world around us, even if sometimes the world doesn't see it that way.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve, do you believe in a police force? Do you believe that schoolchildren should be compulsorily educated - a requirement in English law going back to 1870?

If you do believe in the law and that this needs enforcing, then how is that possible without a police force?

If you don't believe in a police force as a form of government violence (or at least implied violence), how are you suggesting to enforce the idea that all children should get educated?

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by Martin60;
quote:
I think I'd say we are utterly dependent on God.
Ultimately, existentially, but as citizens, people, social organisms we are utterly dependent on human structures, organization and relationships for everything including the quality of the air we breathe.

quote:

God deals in the world explicitly via his people,

Aye, as St. Theresa of Avila apparently said.

quote:
less obviously 'providentially' through the world's own institutions.
Aye, the universe freely increases in the quality of its organization.

quote:
We trust him when he says we his people are to limit our tendency to meddling and being 'bossy-boots' in the state ourselves,
Indeed we must never abuse our power, no matter how high we are in the apparatus of state, the organization, disposition of society.

quote:
that he is also providentially ruling/overruling the state to bring good out of it, including to bring good even out of its evil acts.
That's not a claim that has any meaning for me.

quote:
And yes we are to seek to do good to the world around us, even if sometimes the world doesn't see it that way.
We are the world.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by Martin60;
quote:
I think I'd say we are utterly dependent on God. God deals in the world explicitly via his people, less obviously 'providentially' through the world's own institutions. We trust him when he says we his people are to limit our tendency to meddling and being 'bossy-boots' in the state ourselves, that he is also providentially ruling/overruling the state to bring good out of it, including to bring good even out of its evil acts.

So, keeping out of the way and not engaging in 'the world' in any way whatsoever other than to preach at people and warn them of the judgement to come constitutes 'doing good' does it?

Good luck with that.

I'm sure you don't advocate some kind of monastic withdrawal on the part of all believers but I'm afraid I've always found it hard to follow what you are actually advocating - beyond separation of church and state (which is something a lot of Anglicans, Orthodox and other so-called Constantinian Christians also believe in, believe it or not).

You've never clearly articulated on these boards what it means in practice to be 'in the world but not of it' other than to point the finger at churches and Christians you don't agree with - be it those who have 'quasi-magical' rites as you see it or those who haven't sufficiently separated themselves into the kind of purity you imagine Baptist/Anabaptist churches to have over and against everyone else.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting for a clear articulation of that. I suspect I'll be waiting for some time.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Gamaliel;
quote:
So, keeping out of the way and not engaging in 'the world' in any way whatsoever other than to preach at people and warn them of the judgement to come constitutes 'doing good' does it?
No. That has never been what I've said and I've said more than enough that you should know better. Bear in mind that to a large extent where I'm suggesting 'disengagement' it is where there has been unChristian engagement which needs to be sorted out before we can easily get more positive again.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My point though is that you don't seem able to articulate what that 'disengagement' involves other than in purely negative terms.

I've seen plenty of posts where you've outlined what you think Christians shouldn't be doing but very few where you've outlined what they should be doing instead.

Other than being Anabaptists.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Gamaliel;
quote:
I've seen plenty of posts where you've outlined what you think Christians shouldn't be doing but very few where you've outlined what they should be doing instead.
That might be because most of 'what they should be doing' is not some exotic 'instead' but just ordinary everyday life but with a significantly different Christian attitude. Because the Constantinians have added something questionable to what we do, of course dealing with it concentrates on getting rid of the unnecessary extras rather than on the ordinary which is largely in common - you know, the 'Mere Christianity' stuff.
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Gamaliel;
quote:
sufficiently separated themselves into the kind of purity you imagine Baptist/Anabaptist churches to have over and against everyone else.
I'm not arguing for the kind of negative legalistic purity that one sees in groups like the Exclusive/Plymouth Brethren or the more extreme Amish. On most things that should be ordinary Christianity and not so legalistic; I'm arguing for the one big 'purity' issue of really separating from the state, where the wrong answer has done so much damage; and yes, maybe initially over-separating to be clear ourselves and make clear to the world that we don't want to go back to the improperly domineering 'Christian country' past.

You in effect are the one (or the main one of a few) who keep trying to foist a more extreme position here on me than I'm actually stating.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You in effect are the one (or the main one of a few) who keep trying to foist a more extreme position here on me than I'm actually stating.

You're the one who brought up "negative legalistic purity," not Gamaliel. You're foisting your presupposition of what Gamaliel is saying onto him, and calling what he is doing "foisting." Freud would call that "projection."

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

[Killing me] nice one!

quote:
We trust him when he says we his people are to limit our tendency to meddling and being 'bossy-boots' in the state ourselves,

Where exactly did he say that? Do you have chapter and verse? "Thou shalt not be bossy-boots." I'm guessing this is the result of some interpretation from passages that not everybody interprets in the "Anabaptist" fashion.

quote:
Martin:
quote:
Steve: And yes we are to seek to do good to the world around us, even if sometimes the world doesn't see it that way.
We are the world.
The urge to sing here is nearly overwhelming.

quote:
I owe my peace to the state monopoly of violence. I rely on it. Invoke it. Abolition of the state cannot be a Christian tenet.

Indeed, St. Paul defended it in rather strong terms. Not just the state. The wielding of violence by the state.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve--

quote:
by Gamaliel;
quote:
That might be because most of 'what they should be doing' is not some exotic 'instead' but just ordinary everyday life but with a significantly different Christian attitude. Because the Constantinians have added something questionable to what we do, of course dealing with it concentrates on getting rid of the unnecessary extras rather than on the ordinary which is largely in common - you know, the 'Mere Christianity' stuff.
...except I'm not sure we can ever get to "Mere Christianity". There are always interpretations, perspectives, misunderstandings, and disagreements involved--not to mention personal and cultural baggage. Even separatist and/or conservative Anabaptists have
the Ordnung rules.

[ 20. September 2016, 03:07: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye he did mousethief. We're still trying to be joined up about that and the Prince of Passive Resistance two thousand years later. Our failure to do so created Islam. Or may be it would have arisen if we hadn't become the state? But at least it couldn't blame us.

--------------------
Love wins

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

You're the one who brought up "negative legalistic purity," not Gamaliel. You're foisting your presupposition of what Gamaliel is saying onto him, and calling what he is doing "foisting." Freud would call that "projection."
Actually although Gamaliel didn't use the exact words "negative legalistic purity", he has said many things implying that I do think/act similarly to groups like the Amish and Exclusive Brethren, and that I'm about stuff that could fairly be described as "negative legalistic purity". Indeed I don't think Gamaliel would object much to me so summarising it! I don't think I'm 'projecting' it onto him. And he's been rather persistent in that approach even when I've gone out of my way to deny/refute such an interpretation of my words.

quote:
quote:

[Killing me] nice one!
Also nice one, Martin! But no direct comment right now....

quote:
quote:

Where exactly did he say that? Do you have chapter and verse? "Thou shalt not be bossy-boots." I'm guessing this is the result of some interpretation from passages that not everybody interprets in the "Anabaptist" fashion.
As it happens I do have 'chapter and verse'.

quote:
12 Beloved, think it not strange at the fiery suffering among you that is coming to try you, as if a strange thing were happening to you, 13 but, according as ye have fellowship with the sufferings of the Christ, rejoice ye, that also in the revelation of his glory ye may rejoice--exulting; 14 if ye be reproached in the name of Christ--happy are ye, because the Spirit of glory and of God upon you doth rest; in regard, indeed, to them, he is evil-spoken of, and in regard to you, he is glorified; 15 for let none of you suffer as a murderer, or thief, or evil-doer, or as an *inspector into other men's matters*; 16 and if as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; and let him glorify God in this respect 1 Peter 4:12-16 (YLT)
The word I translated as 'bossy-boots (in other people's affairs)' is rendered in YLT as "an inspector into other men's matters" (italicised and starred above to pick it out in the long quote), and in the original is the single Greek word 'allotriepiskopoi' which breaks down into

'allos' - other (people)

'-tria' -the business of... and

'episkopoi' - literally 'overseers/managers' - basically the same word as 'bishop' which in NT times had not acquired its modern English exclusively ecclesiastical meaning.

The word is often translated as 'meddlers in other people's affairs' or similar. I think my rendering as 'bossy-boots' is a fair paraphrase to convey the idea of 'managing/running' things.

I think the 'meddlers' version rather weakens the original because of course once you've accepted the dodgy Constantinian idea you have a church and 'bishops/episkopoi' who are constantly running/managing other people's affairs in the 'Christian' state; indeed the bishops of a Constantinian church have effectively become 'allotriepiskopoi' contrary to Peter's teaching! Thus in such a church a translation/interpretation is needed which seems to imply something less, and more individualistic, than that state church meddling, whereas reading Peter in full context implies NOT having a state church in the first place.

And can we please drop the silly pretence that I supposedly "don't believe in interpretation" - of course I do, as is quite directly implied by the Tyndale quote. It's just that I'm straightforward about it, and as above more than happy to explain my reasons so others can follow me and if they see fit disagree and give their reasons. What I don't do is either go all Jacques Derrida and similar acting as if all interpretations are equally credible, or go all papal suggesting I or my church has some infallible authority that makes my interpretation special rather than ordinary interpretation (I'll probably have to come back to this in another post - enough now for this one)

quote:

quote:
Martin:
quote:
Steve: And yes we are to seek to do good to the world around us, even if sometimes the world doesn't see it that way.
We are the world.
The urge to sing here is nearly overwhelming.
Except that the Bible says that in an important sense Christians, while emphatically 'in the world' are also supposed to be 'not of the world', but rather to be God's people showing 'the (God-rejecting) world' a different and better way. We can discuss exactly what that means, but it's definitely there in scripture, even in the words of Jesus hiumself and puts a significant qualification to what Martin says there... even though I agree he's got a valid point in some senses.

quote:
quote:
I owe my peace to the state monopoly of violence. I rely on it. Invoke it. Abolition of the state cannot be a Christian tenet.

Indeed, St. Paul defended it in rather strong terms. Not just the state. The wielding of violence by the state.
And if you mean by that to justify Christians/the-Church wielding violence through the state or the state wielding violence on behalf of the Church, you've very much misunderstood Paul. But given the length of this so far, I'll come back to that in a separate post. You should perhaps check out my blog 'stevesfreechurchblog' - I'll go and do some UBB practice in the near future on how to give you a direct link to it.

(having broken up MT's post to respond to bits of it separately, I hope it's clear that the bits in the 'quotes' above which aren't me or Martin are MT's own bits. I'm shortly going to have to leave where I am at the moment and I can't think of a UBB fix I can do in time)

[I think that's sorted out the quotes ...]

[ 20. September 2016, 15:19: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
quote:

And if you mean by that to justify Christians/the-Church wielding violence through the state or the state wielding violence on behalf of the Church, you've very much misunderstood Paul.

I don't think mt meant to do that at all, and I expect Martin60 was taking a kind of two kingdoms approach to supporting the state monopoly on violence.

[ 20. September 2016, 15:03: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I don't do is either go all Jacques Derrida and similar acting as if all interpretations are equally credible, or go all papal suggesting I or my church has some infallible authority that makes my interpretation special.

Nor do most of, perhaps all, the rest of us here.

[ 20. September 2016, 15:06: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

As I've said before, 'Derrida? He's got Foucault to do with it ...'

But old gags aside, I'm certainly not accusing Steve Langton of advocating Amish style withdrawal from the world nor some kind of Exclusive Brethren extremism.

But beyond church-state separation and not having these nasty interfering Bishops (whoever they might be), I'm not sure what he actually is advocating.

The closest he's come to providing any kind of manifesto, as it were, is to suggest that we all pursue some kind of 'Mere Christianity' approach.

Which is fine by me, but so far we've had no indication of what this means in practice other than we shouldn't get involved in the nasty, tainted State in any way whatsover - which is difficult to envisage as being practically possible in a modern, developed society.

If we're a teacher, a civil servant, an NHS employer or a whole host of other things then it's the State that will pay our salaries.

So far as I can see Steve Langton is suggesting:

You can be a teacher but not a magistrate or policeman.

You can do all manner of things as long as it doesn't make you a busy-body in some way. Which would immediately rule out any number of roles that involve regulation in some form or other - be it the DVLC, Trading Standards or being a School Inspector ... well, actually, come to think of it ... [Big Grin]

I'm teasing to some extent but I am trying to make a serious point. The constant harping back to the excesses of Erastian forms of church-state relations doesn't help us a great deal.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

quote:
quote:

And if you mean by that to justify Christians/the-Church wielding violence through the state or the state wielding violence on behalf of the Church, you've very much misunderstood Paul.

I don't think mt meant to do that at all, and I expect Martin60 was taking a kind of two kingdoms approach to supporting the state monopoly on violence.
I actually rather suspected mt wouldn't mean quite that - but there are rather too many, including among mt's Orthodox brethren, who do take it that way. And I wanted to kind of face him with that and make him clarify his position further. As I said almost immediately, I was running out of time where I was. The slightly provocative response in the meantime seemed appropriate compared to saying nothing - maybe I misjudged that a bit.

As this is pretty relevant - by contrast - to the Islamic extremism issue I'll try and expand later what I think Paul did mean; which would not be quite what mt suggested, or seemed to suggest.

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
What I don't do is either go all Jacques Derrida and similar acting as if all interpretations are equally credible, or go all papal suggesting I or my church has some infallible authority that makes my interpretation special.

Nor do most of, perhaps all, the rest of us here.
And I wasn't saying so; but I've recently faced quite a few people on the Ship who do seem to be 'going all Jacques Derrida' by blethering abstractly about 'other interpretations' and the like as if merely saying there are other interpretations in itself proved me wrong or narrow-minded,and others who've been all to happy to scornfully insinuate I'm going 'papal'.

I'm guessing a Baptist with enough sense to be also a Trainfan will appreciate that I'm just trying as I said upthread to do rather ordinary interpretation and explain myself as much as possible so others can follow and agree with or correct my reasoning. What I'm objecting to is this uninformative business of not coming up with a better reasoning or interpretation but just going abstractly "There are other interpretations". And though I hope such people aren't common on the Ship, I seem to have run into a few, and others who seem a bit close for comfort to that attitude.

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Gamaliel;
quote:
what this means in practice other than we shouldn't get involved in the nasty, tainted State in any way whatsoever - which is difficult to envisage as being practically possible in a modern, developed society
Again, not what I've been saying. I'm saying the Church should not itself be entangled with the state and that individually Christians need to be careful when the state is directly involved - and especially not to be trying to run the state....

You're right, it's difficult to avoid involvement altogether, and I think those who try it have gone a bit astray. Partly it's a matter of avoiding the 'allotriepiskopos' thing, partly the limiting point is "We must obey God rather than man" - when you really can't carry on 'obeying man' without yourself positively disobeying God, you back out, perhaps protest (peaceably).

What you DON'T do is the attitude seen in Ian Paisley's commentary on Romans, and which clearly a lot of people in NI take, that at that point you are entitled to fight back 'with physical weapons' till you get the state to accept you. E.g., when the police stop your Protestant band parading you throw bricks and bottles at them. No, the correct route is to remain 'subject to' the state as per Romans 13, and therefore accept any resulting penalties the state dishes out, from losing your job to being thrown to the lions.

Mt, please note; that reference to the " nasty, tainted State" is one of many which caused me to protest about having ideas of "negative legalistic purity" being attributed to me....

by Gamaliel;

quote:
If we're a teacher, a civil servant, an NHS employer or a whole host of other things then it's the State that will pay our salaries. So far as I can see Steve Langton is suggesting: You can be a teacher but not a magistrate or policeman. You can do all manner of things as long as it doesn't make you a busy-body in some way. Which would immediately rule out any number of roles that involve regulation in some form or other - be it the DVLC, Trading Standards or being a School Inspector ... well, actually, come to think of it ... [Big Grin]
One of the reasons I go 'light' in this area is that if you think about it, this can be very different in different states; different in say Nazi Germany compared to most modern democracies, for example. I'm trying to lay down the initial principles, not to tell you where your personal "must obey God rather than man" must come.

From the examples Gamaliel gives, Yes, in most democracies I wouldn't see a problem in being a teacher in a state school; but one teaching job I wouldn't take would be RE, because I don't think that's the state's business. I also think that 'church schools' should in fact be private rather than entangled in the state, with the risk that the state, 'paying the piper', may end up calling unacceptable tunes.

Police - On the whole I think not even in a democracy; I'll hopefully get back to the 'state violence' thing again, but one of my main reasons here is that I see the Church's job as being in 'preventative medicine', socially speaking, and in a role akin to Christian Peacemaker Teams in a warzone. Street Pastors work with the Police to quite an extent - but it is part of their value that they are clearly a distinct 'rescue service' rather than a moral enforcement service.

I think a lot of the same might apply to 'magistrates' - but if a Church friend felt led to that kind of role, I would be advising caution rather than outright "You mustn't". Even in our democracy there are some trends that might change that.

Should be noted, BTW, that in reading older texts you need to be aware that until quite recently 'magistrate' was not just a word for a local low-level judge, but meant anybody of 'high level' in society up to and including kings and emperors. The Anabaptist 'Schleitheim Confession' uses it in that wider sense.

On the others, I think the point is not things that involve regulation in general, but what is being regulated and by what rules. "Obeying God rather than man" is not likely to be a regular issue for workers in the DVLC, for instance. As I pointed out above, the 'busy body' business is actually rather specific; it's effectively about the "Because God is on my/our side I'm/we're entitled to boss you around" kind of idea. In the DVLC you are doing a neutral kind of job which nobody can realistically object about normally, and there are usually no religious implications where you can be seen as an inappropriately religious 'bossy-boots'.

Different jobs in different societies you assess on a case-by-case basis.

I think being a soldier is a very clear NO-NO! And more rather than less so in a supposedly Christian state where Jesus gets explicitly involved in the state's acts. Christians ought to witness strongly against that.

Having said that, I wouldn't confront a recently converted soldier with a kind of 'fatwa' that he must leave the army immediately or be excommunicated. I think the appropriate thing is to give him space - and importantly information - to think the thing through for himself in light of his new Christian status; while also warning him that he's in a position where even in our democracy that "We must obey God rather than man" might come up sooner rather than later.

And I don't think I could advise a new convert to carry on in Hitler's SS except in terms of protesting against it....

Sorry, got to do something else now till later, possibly tomorrow...

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Given that state use of violence is the underlying mechanism for the rule of law, I suspect the confusion comes from your lack of understanding of the Weberian state.

And we don't need to go all the way to Nazi Germany for an example. Segregated Alabama will do just as nicely. We have an example of alleged "Christians" demonstrating to get the state to intervene on their behalf using the power of the law (and the implication of force behind the law). According to Steve Langton's reasoning, this kind of action is impermissible for real, true Christians. In other words, those who wrote "A Call for Unity" were acting within Christian principles, while their more famous respondent was behaving heretically.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As near as I can tell from what I've read on the Ship, the Anabaptist position is: God bless the status quo, and the best we can do is ameliorate the damage done by the state to the poor and disadvantaged after the fact.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

From the examples Gamaliel gives, Yes, in most democracies I wouldn't see a problem in being a teacher in a state school; but one teaching job I wouldn't take would be RE, because I don't think that's the state's business. I also think that 'church schools' should in fact be private rather than entangled in the state, with the risk that the state, 'paying the piper', may end up calling unacceptable tunes.

Police - On the whole I think not even in a democracy; I'll hopefully get back to the 'state violence' thing again, but one of my main reasons here is that I see the Church's job as being in 'preventative medicine', socially speaking, and in a role akin to Christian Peacemaker Teams in a warzone. Street Pastors work with the Police to quite an extent - but it is part of their value that they are clearly a distinct 'rescue service' rather than a moral enforcement service.

So... you are free to access state funded education and the protection of state-violence viz a vis the police, you're just not prepared to get involved.

That seems rather a contradictory way - if you had the strength of your convictions, you'd refuse to co-operate with the education system and the police, surely.

quote:
I think a lot of the same might apply to 'magistrates' - but if a Church friend felt led to that kind of role, I would be advising caution rather than outright "You mustn't". Even in our democracy there are some trends that might change that.
Please unpack that. Why might you be telling someone else that they mustn't do something that you rely on as part of the justice system?

What is wrong with being a magistrate? Are you saying your perfect government system wouldn't have judges and magistrates?

quote:
Should be noted, BTW, that in reading older texts you need to be aware that until quite recently 'magistrate' was not just a word for a local low-level judge, but meant anybody of 'high level' in society up to and including kings and emperors. The Anabaptist 'Schleitheim Confession' uses it in that wider sense.
Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Surely it is less about their status in society as "kings and emperors" and more to do with their status in the law system as purveyors of justice.

quote:
On the others, I think the point is not things that involve regulation in general, but what is being regulated and by what rules. "Obeying God rather than man" is not likely to be a regular issue for workers in the DVLC, for instance. As I pointed out above, the 'busy body' business is actually rather specific; it's effectively about the "Because God is on my/our side I'm/we're entitled to boss you around" kind of idea. In the DVLC you are doing a neutral kind of job which nobody can realistically object about normally, and there are usually no religious implications where you can be seen as an inappropriately religious 'bossy-boots'.
OK but on some level the civil servant is in a power position over others, right?

quote:
Different jobs in different societies you assess on a case-by-case basis.

I think being a soldier is a very clear NO-NO! And more rather than less so in a supposedly Christian state where Jesus gets explicitly involved in the state's acts. Christians ought to witness strongly against that.

Oh ok then. So I can take it that if your town was flooded you'll be refusing any help from the evil military? If you're in a conflict situation, you'll not stand behind the blue helmets of any UN force as they protect you from murdering crowds? You'll refuse to accept food distributed by the military of any complexion whilst starving?

quote:
Having said that, I wouldn't confront a recently converted soldier with a kind of 'fatwa' that he must leave the army immediately or be excommunicated. I think the appropriate thing is to give him space - and importantly information - to think the thing through for himself in light of his new Christian status; while also warning him that he's in a position where even in our democracy that "We must obey God rather than man" might come up sooner rather than later.
Thank goodness for that.

quote:
And I don't think I could advise a new convert to carry on in Hitler's SS except in terms of protesting against it....

Sorry, got to do something else now till later, possibly tomorrow...

Hopefully it doesn't involve the government, the military, the justice system or the DVLA, otherwise you might be a practising hypocrite.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
As near as I can tell from what I've read on the Ship, the Anabaptist position is: God bless the status quo, and the best we can do is ameliorate the damage done by the state to the poor and disadvantaged after the fact.

That's not entirely fair. Various anabaptists have resisted the state and gone their own way.

But many had the courage of their convictions to understand that they couldn't accept the protection of the state whilst at the same time loudly protesting about how ungodly it was - and so went their own way. Unusually to an ignominious death in the desert in South America or to their own communes in North America.

--------------------
arse

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:

NO!

Actually what you're describing sounds more like the position of those who issued that "A Call for Unity" that Croesos referred to in the post preceding yours. Broadly I interpret that situation in the Southern USA as Christians taking just about every attitude but the Anabaptist one, though with Martin Luther King probably closest.

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Croesos;
quote:
Given that state use of violence is the underlying mechanism for the rule of law, I suspect the confusion comes from your lack of understanding of the Weberian state.
Actually on a quick glance at Wiki, the 'Weberian state' sounds like a pretty good definition of the state as 'the world' practices it.

Anabaptists are not trying to set up anything remotely similar, but to establish Jesus' 'kingdom not of this world' as a global people of God who precisely rely on a different and ultimately actually more powerful power than the state has.

One implication of this is that if/when the Church does become entangled in the Weberian state and tries to use that kind of localised political power for its goals, it becomes compromised and weakened because it is no longer relying fully on God, indeed is in varying degrees disobeying God and following goals he disapproves of in ways he disapproves of.

One of the ambivalences of the situation for Anabaptists is that we find ourselves dealing not with a straightforward 'World/Church' dualism but also with a third body of a 'world-entangled' church which basically we also need to separate from. And that's on the one hand a difficult dance, on the other hand it's a dance we shouldn't be having to do because the serious Christians should join us in obeying God, and the 'nominal' Christianity created by that world-entangled church, of people who think they're Christian by birth in a so-called 'Christian country' basically shouldn't exist (and before any idiot says it, even in jest, that is NOT, of course, a call for extermination).

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

One of the ambivalences of the situation for Anabaptists is that we find ourselves dealing not with a straightforward 'World/Church' dualism but also with a third body of a 'world-entangled' church which basically we also need to separate from. And that's on the one hand a difficult dance, on the other hand it's a dance we shouldn't be having to do because the serious Christians should join us in obeying God, and the 'nominal' Christianity created by that world-entangled church, of people who think they're Christian by birth in a so-called 'Christian country' basically shouldn't exist (and before any idiot says it, even in jest, that is NOT, of course, a call for extermination).

OK, but you're not untangling yourself from "the world", you seem to be relatively randomly deciding that some bits are worth using (but not participating in) and other bits are not. In fact you're just picking-and-choosing which bits of the world are convenient for you to make us of. Just like everyone else.

--------------------
arse

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

mr cheesy; Anabaptists are not objecting to 'the state' per se - we accept it as part of the world we live in, and occasionally we find ourselves having to oppose it in the interests of 'obeying God rather than man'; and in most of those cases you'd probably agree with us. Some states we find much more difficult to live in/with than others.

What we do very much object to is the dubious creation of the so-called 'Christian state' which confuses the whole issue for everybody.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
mr cheesy; Anabaptists are not objecting to 'the state' per se - we accept it as part of the world we live in, and occasionally we find ourselves having to oppose it in the interests of 'obeying God rather than man'; and in most of those cases you'd probably agree with us. Some states we find much more difficult to live in/with than others.

OK, so why aren't you objecting to the state? That makes no sense - first you're complaining that various activities are taking the rightful place of God, then you're saying that that's ok when it is convenient for you to be ok.

Some anabaptists complain about the police as a thing. Why aren't you? Why is it OK to call the police to get justice but not OK to be a policeman?

quote:
What we do very much object to is the dubious creation of the so-called 'Christian state' which confuses the whole issue for everybody.
It seems to me that you're just confused.

--------------------
arse

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by mr cheesy;
quote:
quote:
quote: by Steve Langton;

Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Surely it is less about their status in society as "kings and emperors" and more to do with their status in the law system as purveyors of justice.
OK, minor detail - literally 'magistrate' comes from roots which mean, approximately 'great' and 'stratum/level'. It's actual usage is of rulers of varying degrees, in other words people with power from the top dogs like kings and emperors down to their delegates like the local judges for whom we now use the term magistrates. They ruled - whether they purveyed justice or tyranny might be a different matter!

I simply wanted to make the point that if you read older works on this topic - eg., in the 17thC Puritan-era discussions - you might be confused if you think 'magistrate' only has its limited modern English meaning.

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by mr cheesy;
quote:
OK, but you're not untangling yourself from "the world", you seem to be relatively randomly deciding that some bits are worth using (but not participating in) and other bits are not. In fact you're just picking-and-choosing which bits of the world are convenient for you to make us of. Just like everyone else.
Two different questions going on here

Q1; Should the church be institutionally entangled in the state in such a way that the state can be regarded as a 'Christian country'? This can actually range all the way from a national establishment like the CofE to the kind of thing you see in the US 'Religious Right'.

A: NO.

Q2; And having hopefully not too far in the future got rid of that, how do Christians live in the state?

A; Well for starters it's likely to depend on which state. It's not so much we 'pick and choose what we like', it's that we have this ultimate limiting point of 'obeying God rather than man'. If we are allowed, we should overall benefit the state. Unlike many others who disagree with their state for various reasons, the state should not have to fear violent rebellion by the Christians, even though there may not be absolute obedience to whatever the state wants.

Bear in mind that when Christians have conned themselves into believing it's OK to be in armies, it's not a big step to the kind of thing seen in Ian Paisley on Romans 13, of getting a Christian army together to effectively take over the state. Are you sure you'd approve of that?

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Two different questions going on here

Q1; Should the church be institutionally entangled in the state in such a way that the state can be regarded as a 'Christian country'? This can actually range all the way from a national establishment like the CofE to the kind of thing you see in the US 'Religious Right'.

A: NO.

I've not asked that question, and as far as I can see it doesn't matter anyway. If I was to parachute you into an imaginary country which had all of the same civil structures as the UK but none of the religious historical baggage, I think you're saying you'd still not participate in certain things. Indeed it seems that you lack of participation is nothing to do with the religious heritage of the country. Am I wrong in that?

quote:
Q2; And having hopefully not too far in the future got rid of that, how do Christians live in the state?

A; Well for starters it's likely to depend on which state. It's not so much we 'pick and choose what we like', it's that we have this ultimate limiting point of 'obeying God rather than man'. If we are allowed, we should overall benefit the state. Unlike many others who disagree with their state for various reasons, the state should not have to fear violent rebellion by the Christians, even though there may not be absolute obedience to whatever the state wants.

OK, let's assume we're talking about the state we both live in, the UK. It is a state that has no religious establishment, where there is no suggestion that there is anything favourable given to one religion over any other. How then is your idealised Christian to live?

You've already stated that morally they can't join the army or police or (I think) be a magistrate. How are you making those determinants?

And why should you benefit from any of them if you are not prepared to participate in them?

quote:
Bear in mind that when Christians have conned themselves into believing it's OK to be in armies, it's not a big step to the kind of thing seen in Ian Paisley on Romans 13, of getting a Christian army together to effectively take over the state. Are you sure you'd approve of that?
That seems to me to be fairly obviously irrelevant. If you like, let's imagine that the country no longer has a military and has forsworn fighting foreign wars.

So now being in the military is off the table. How are you now determining which parts of the state Christians can participate in and which are morally objectionable?

It seems to me that you're just making it up, I have to say. Because you never actually answer a direct question about it.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

ISTM that many more Muslims throughout history have stayed and participated fully in secular societies than those of Anabaptist heritage - who tend to sit in the corner in a huff or alternatively piss off to their own little enclaves where they can manage their own affairs without the inconvenience of the state.

[ 21. September 2016, 16:09: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Just a thought, it has struck me that the kind of Anabaptism that Steve seems to advocate is rather parasitic, because it can only exist in a kind of apophatic contradistinction to the nasty old state-churches he disparages.

I'd agree with Mr cheesy that many Anabaptists have maintained an heroic witness against injustice and bravely taken a stance on their principles.

I'm not knocking any of that.

What I do find wearing, though, is this insistence that everyone else is somehow inevitably bound to turn into either Ivan The Terrible or Ian Paisley ...

As I've said on another thread, as an American, Mousethief doesn't believe in church-state linkage in the UK sense or Russian sense ... But all we hear from Steve is how Mousethief's 'fellow Orthodox' do - as if to be Orthodox or Anglican or RC is synonymous with belief in a conjoined Church and State.

US RCs and Episcopalians probably don't generally believe in a conjoined Church and State either, although some individuals among them might - such as those US 'Piskies who make a big deal of the Monarchy (I've come across a few online).

It's not that I don't think Steve isn't raising some valid points, simply that he's offering half-baked airy-fairy solutions that aren't at all grounded in the real world.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

NO!

Actually what you're describing sounds more like the position of those who issued that "A Call for Unity" that Croesos referred to in the post preceding yours. Broadly I interpret that situation in the Southern USA as Christians taking just about every attitude but the Anabaptist one, though with Martin Luther King probably closest.

quote:
One implication of this is that if/when the Church does become entangled in the Weberian state and tries to use that kind of localised political power for its goals, it becomes compromised and weakened because it is no longer relying fully on God, indeed is in varying degrees disobeying God and following goals he disapproves of in ways he disapproves of.

Surely it's the other way around, isn't it? Dr. King was trying to influence the state to change its policies towards those he felt were more in line with the will of God: ending racial segregation and promoting just and equal treatment of all citizens by the state. In other words, he "trie[d] to use that kind of localised political power for [his] goals". Working for just treatment by the state seems like exactly the kind of 'worldly' interference you oppose, plus Dr. King and his followers weren't "relying fully on God" but were instead relying on their own actions and hoping to create a world where the state could be relied on to be just (or at least more just than Alabama in 1963).

The "Eight Alabama Clergymen", on the other hand, seem a lot closer to your Anabaptist ideal. They do express a hope that Alabama treat its negro citizens more justly (which is bad, from an Anabaptist point of view as you've explained it), but they also counsel against actually doing anything practical to bring that about, which seems to be exactly in line with your "relying fully on God" principle.

[ 21. September 2016, 19:53: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
It's not that I don't think Steve isn't raising some valid points, simply that he's offering half-baked airy-fairy solutions that aren't at all grounded in the real world.

That seems to be the entire point of this kind of otherworldly theology: the rejection of the idea that anything happening in (of) the world is any concern of the faithful.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by mr cheesy;
quote:
the UK. It is a state that has no religious establishment,

That's nearly as unreal as asking, as you also did, what is the relevance of state Islam to IS - indeed maybe more so, given that you live in England and would have to be severely mentally or physically challenged to have failed to notice the Church of England, by law established. OK, a considerably attenuated establishment, but enough to be little use and a big problem....
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
That's nearly as unreal as asking, as you also did, what is the relevance of state Islam to IS - indeed maybe more so, given that you live in England and would have to be severely mentally or physically challenged to have failed to notice the Church of England, by law established. OK, a considerably attenuated establishment, but enough to be little use and a big problem....

Point of information: I don't live in England.

Please answer the question. If there was no established church, no history of constantinian Christianity, would you still refuse to engage with the state in the ways you've said above?

I appreciate that this isn't the situation, but I'm asking you whether the problem you have with the magistrates and/or police is to do with the Constantinian issue (which would be pretty hard for me to fathom) or some other reason.

Or to put it another way, if I was to give you space to create a new state, would you have it as a secular state with police, magistrates etc enforcing a law to allow people to do things you don't agree with? If so, what space for God?

[ 21. September 2016, 21:03: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by Croesos;
quote:
The "Eight Alabama Clergymen", on the other hand, seem a lot closer to your Anabaptist ideal. They do express a hope that Alabama treat its negro citizens more justly (which is bad, from an Anabaptist point of view as you've explained it), but they also counsel against actually doing anything practical to bring that about, which seems to be exactly in line with your "relying fully on God" principle.
The situation is mixed; but I'd have been following the line of a clergyman I've heard of who preached racial equality till his church was clear of all those who refused the message - down I think to about four people - but then things changed and the church is now thriving on people who were willing to accept the message. Racists should not have been able to find a church in Alabama that accepted them. And those denominations should I hope have resolutely refused to follow segregation laws even if it meant they ended up writing to Luther King from the next door jail cell - but did they?

There is plenty that can be done in Anabaptist terms - and MLK did in fact do a lot of it. His position was also mixed and went too far in places. As in Nazi Germany, it's a case of if everybody who called themselves 'Christian' had believed and followed the Biblical teaching the local government would have had little real power.

Without being there to know every detail I can't comment in detail.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

There is plenty that can be done in Anabaptist terms - and MLK did in fact do a lot of it. His position was also mixed and went too far in places. As in Nazi Germany, it's a case of if everybody who called themselves 'Christian' had believed and followed the Biblical teaching the local government would have had little real power.

Without being there to know every detail I can't comment in detail.

MLK clearly believed in the state otherwise his appeal for a historic change to the dud cheque given to black people by the USA's (this "great nation") founders would be rather pointless, don't you think?

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

More to the point, perhaps, MLK didn't seek to change the hearts of those in Alabama and elsewhere, he sought to get the rights he believed the state owed black people.

It is hard to imagine anything further from an anabaptist position. MLK believed the state was worthy of change and would bring freedom top-down to black people who had been excluded. The historic anabaptists believed that the state was corrupted and that instead they should believe in God.

And, of course, the latter approach had a lot going for it in certain circumstances. That just wasn't how MLK saw his circumstances.

--------------------
arse

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by mr cheesy;
quote:
Point of information: I don't live in England.

Sorry - mea definitely culpa. I was so distracted by wondering what a 'banglican' was that I missed your actual Welsh location.

However, you can still hardly claim you haven't noticed the existence of ' the Church of England by law established' in England, and sadly the disestablishment in Wales doesn't loom large on the world scene. For instance while UK soldiers are fighting IS, I don't think Welsh disestablishment will make much difference to their assessment of the UK as a "Christian" and "crusading" enemy to be fought to the death....

by mr cheesy;
quote:
Please answer the question. If there was no established church, no history of Constantinian Christianity, would you still refuse to engage with the state in the ways you've said above?
To a large extent, yes - depending on what was being offered instead of nominal Christianity in the particular state. However in such a case the situation would be very much clearer all round than where we have a three-way situation involving a distorted form of Christianity as well.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
To a large extent, yes - depending on what was being offered instead of nominal Christianity in the particular state. However in such a case the situation would be very much clearer all round than where we have a three-way situation involving a distorted form of Christianity as well.

Yes you would refuse to engage or yes you would engage?

Please try to write clearly. I'm not here talking about Christianity - nominal or otherwise - I'm trying to understand what your problem is with the state, and you keep bringing it back to Christianity, which I've already removed as part of the thought exercise.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

More red herrings. There are Muslims fighting ISIS as well as Welsh lads.

Would ISIS stop attacking people if the CofE were disestablished tomorrow?

No, of course they wouldn't.

The level of unreality around your overly pietistic and other-worldly theology is spectacular.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
More red herrings. There are Muslims fighting ISIS as well as Welsh lads.

As far as I can tell most of those fighting ISIS are Muslims and most of those who are the victims of ISIS are Muslims too. If ISIS are fighting against Christendom they are going a very odd way about it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Steve Langton, MLK went TOO FAR?! How? Where? When?

--------------------
Love wins

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

by mr cheesy;
quote:
And why should you benefit from any of them if you are not prepared to participate in them?
quote:
That seems to me to be fairly obviously irrelevant. If you like, let's imagine that the country no longer has a military and has forsworn fighting foreign wars.
Given the chances of that latter proposition, except in a case like post-1945 Japan where a war loser has been forced to unwillingly disarm, I think it fair to treat that as Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, not a real question.

Back to my original very relevant point; in the real world countries have or would like to have armies - how do Christians approach that?

If our approach is that it's OK to be in the army - and kill people,remember - it's pretty much only a matter of time before you start thinking "If I can use the army or in general 'warfare with physical weapons', on behalf of the worldly state, why can't/shouldn't I use it for the more important cause of God?" And soon, like Paisley, you're looking for ways round texts that might conflict with it...

If our approach is instead to say definitely it's not OK to fight for God's cause - or not with physical weapons anyway - then it's a great deal harder to go from that to the idea that nevertheless I might kill for the much lesser cause of the state. And I personally can't see how I'd do it....

That's not irrelevant. And bear in mind you're probably making the cosy assumption that the guy who decides to fight for God won't be coming for you - actually he very likely would, unless your sect is very close to his.

There are other issues. Have you heard of the 'modest proposal' that "The Christians of the world shall not kill one another". At first glance it sounds rather selfish (though in reality it's a 'make-you-think' rather than an absolute rule anyway). But think hard - there are Christians in Baghdad - do I want any part in Bush's 'shock and awe' stuff if my Christian brethren might be among the collateral damage? And so on.... Even if interpreted 'selfishly' it would rule out my participation in pretty much any European war and others involving supposedly 'Christian' countries. As for the non-Christians, I'll post again (and possibly keep posting till you pay attention...) Gower's poems about the Crusades - and he was BTW a contemporary of Chaucer to whom this was a very immediate issue...

quote:

I prei you tell me nay or yee,
To passe over the grete See
To were and sle the Sarazin
Is that the law?

Reply;
… Sone myn,
To preche and soffre for the feith,
That have I herd the gospell seith,
But forto sle, that heire I noght.

Modern version
…. I pray you tell me yes or no; to pass over the great sea to war against and slay the Saracen – is that lawful?
Reply; …..My son, to preach the faith and suffer for it, that I have heard the gospel says; but to slay for the gospel, I hear nothing in it of that.

Second Poem
To slen and feihten ous bidde
Hem whom thei scholde, as the bok seith, Converten unto Christes feith.
But hierof have I gret mervaile,
Hou thei wol bidde me travaile;
A Sarazin if I sle schal,
I sle the Soule forth withal,
And that was nevere Christes lore.

Modern version ….
They bid us fight and slay those who they should, according to the Bible, convert to faith in Jesus. And it seems to me something to marvel at, how they tell me to work in such a way; for if I slay a Saracen, I shall also slay his soul (because he will die ‘unsaved’ -SL) – and that was never Christ’s teaching.

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

Yes you would refuse to engage or yes you would engage?

Please try to write clearly. I'm not here talking about Christianity - nominal or otherwise - I'm trying to understand what your problem is with the state, and you keep bringing it back to Christianity, which I've already removed as part of the thought exercise.

I've already pointed out that in different states you will run into that 'obey God rather than men' in different areas and at different stages. In some states it would be fine to be a teacher in a state school - in others it would be pretty much impossible. There's no simple answer except to point out the 'obey God rather than men' principle, that when obeying man forces disobedience to God, back out of it. And there will be cases when Christians have different judgement when exactly they've reached that point and I have to respect them even if I also ask "Are you sure?".

The 'problem' is simply that the state is the godless world and likely to not necessarily be sympathetic, and likely to present you with occasional pitfalls in obeying God.

That's why it's an extra problem when the state isn't the godless world but the confused body of a supposedly 'Christian' state with a mix of the Christian and unChristian, godly and ungodly-but-in-the-name-of-God; including that because it's more or less on the side of the war and persecution business, the supposedly 'Christian' state may be persecuting the Christians who stand against it....

The 'Christian state' is one of the biggest and worst sources of Christian disunity in all kinds of ways, starting simply with the big issue that the 'Christian state' isn't meant to happen in the first place.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve--

When you get a chance, would you please address what I said here? Particularly about the Ordnung.

Thanks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
I've already pointed out that in different states you will run into that 'obey God rather than men' in different areas and at different stages. In some states it would be fine to be a teacher in a state school - in others it would be pretty much impossible. There's no simple answer except to point out the 'obey God rather than men' principle, that when obeying man forces disobedience to God, back out of it. And there will be cases when Christians have different judgement when exactly they've reached that point and I have to respect them even if I also ask "Are you sure?".

You are still not answering the questions I've posed. I'm interesting in how you are determining which operations of the the state are acceptable for Christians to be involved in and which are not.

At present you've still not explained your reasoning and still not explained how the state would function in your idealised non-Constantinian future. Kindly address these points.

quote:
The 'problem' is simply that the state is the godless world and likely to not necessarily be sympathetic, and likely to present you with occasional pitfalls in obeying God.
OK, so I can take it from this that if I was to allow you to create your own state, it would be a godly one? You wouldn't have independent secular authorities like police and law courts?

quote:
That's why it's an extra problem when the state isn't the godless world but the confused body of a supposedly 'Christian' state with a mix of the Christian and unChristian, godly and ungodly-but-in-the-name-of-God; including that because it's more or less on the side of the war and persecution business, the supposedly 'Christian' state may be persecuting the Christians who stand against it....

The 'Christian state' is one of the biggest and worst sources of Christian disunity in all kinds of ways, starting simply with the big issue that the 'Christian state' isn't meant to happen in the first place.

Yeah, you've said that multiple times. We get it. What we don't get, and in my experience of you we never get, is any conception of what the thing would look like if the current system change to be like the one you hope and pray for.

I suggest to you that a future state where you got your way would be one of compulsion, where there were no police or law courts and where people were not free to behave and believe things you disagree with.

Which sounds uncomfortably like IS.

[ 22. September 2016, 06:41: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016