homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What my dream is, is that Trump will fall prey to pride and vanity. Even more overweening pride and vanity, that is to say, because it's not like those aren't already familiar to him.

He will contemplate the idea of a failed presidency, and his soul will scald. He will do good things, not because he is in any way interested in doing anything in particular, but because otherwise he will go down in history as a Loser President, down there with Millard Fillmore.

To peel off the name Obamacare and slap on a new label Trumpcare would be perfectly fine, as long as it is the same or improved underneath. To put a plaque onto every single renovated bridge and rebuilt highway with his name on it, bliss. To save Medicare and Medicaid so that old people cheer his name, he would adore it. To go to war with random nations (Mexico? Britain? Finland?) would make him wince -- what, be another crummy little Bush Jr? Ew. Poverty must be combated, because otherwise how will they love me?

He wants to be admired and adored. If he would only see the path to that state!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

But he primarily wants to be admired and adored by the people directly in front of him at any given moment. Then when he's in front of other people, he wants to be admired and adored by them.

That's why it's so horrific that he has packed his cabinet with white supremacists and big business lackeys and other people whose wants and desires are inimical to the good of our nation and its people. Those are the people he will be "playing to" most of the time. And they're smart enough to play him like a violin by preying on his insecurities.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
If free trade kills jobs at home, protectionism kills jobs all over the world.

If you give me a choice between my job being killed or six jobs in the rest of the world being killed, take a wild guess which one I'll vote for.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

But he primarily wants to be admired and adored by the people directly in front of him at any given moment. Then when he's in front of other people, he wants to be admired and adored by them.

That's why it's so horrific that he has packed his cabinet with white supremacists and big business lackeys and other people whose wants and desires are inimical to the good of our nation and its people. Those are the people he will be "playing to" most of the time. And they're smart enough to play him like a violin by preying on his insecurities.

I have a powerful imagination. And so I can see the solution to this. It lies in the fact that Sasha Obama has not yet graduated from high school. This has forced her parents to stay in DC for at least a while. And that means that Barack Obama will be in town to be consulted: the only man who knows the job.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

If you give me a choice between my job being killed or six jobs in the rest of the world being killed, take a wild guess which one I'll vote for.
I thought that in the end, protectionism will kill jobs at home and abroad. There is however, a brilliant solution to this, and a traditional one, indeed a hallowed one: war.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is why so many women I know are afraid. And why a Women's March on Washington spontaneously generated, independent of things like funding or permits.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what we will see is a confused mix of Brenda's dream and mousethief's nightmare, combined with plenty of warmongering.

Ho hum. The old curse has come true 'May you live in interesting times'.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie--

Yes, I'm search of whoever uttered that curse.
[Mad]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

All over the world includes at home.

Unless you go "North Korean".

Of course, there are half way houses. Governments may act to protect strategic interests, invoke penalty arrangements for covert protectionism by others. Mostly what they can do is aid the transition.

But in general trying to stop the tide of free trade is like imitating King Canute (as I said earlier). All citizens need to do is examine the labels on their clothes, their hi-tech goods, white goods, cars etc.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The TransPacific Partnership looks dead, a real slap in the face for the Aust Govt which had been trying hard to sell the treaty here. There was a lot of opposition founded upon such matters as increased costs of pharmaceuticals, the ability of US companies to force their will on the Aust government and so forth. So some good from a Trump victory.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it known to what extent free trade is responsible for the economic problems of the rust-belt? A report I read recently suggested that automation was a factor accounting for 85 per cent of the job losses. Protectionism may slow down job losses but discourage innovation and increase prices. More importantly, what do Trump and the Republican Congress think about this, and what will they do?
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gillmck
Apprentice
# 12870

- Posted      Profile for Gillmck         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all of this ... For more ethical dissection of the US Election, there's a discussion of the result, implications, the role of US evangelicals, that sort of thing here: http://www.smallvoice.org.uk/podcast-extra-the-last-trump/

P.S. I have a vested interest as part of the the smallVOICE podcast production team, but we keep being nominated for awards, so other people think it's quite good too!

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gillmck:
Thanks for all of this ... For more ethical dissection of the US Election, there's a discussion of the result, implications, the role of US evangelicals, that sort of thing here: http://www.smallvoice.org.uk/podcast-extra-the-last-trump/

I wanted to hate this, but it is actually pretty good. If you could bring some of the ideas and comments from your podcast here to discuss rather than a hit-and-run link, that'd be much more helpful.

--------------------
arse

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sliver of hope?

"Curiosity about Wisconsin has centred on apparently disproportionate wins that were racked up by Trump in counties using electronic voting compared with those that used only paper ballots.

Use of the voting machines that are in operation in some Wisconsin counties has been banned in other states, including California, after security analysts repeatedly showed how easily they could be hacked into."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a rather whimsical note...

...the idea of our beloved Nigel Kipper Garbage emigrating to the US of A (as if you poor folk haven't enough to put up with) rather reminded me of the bit in Lord of the Rings where the weaselly traitor Wormtongue (Garbage) is condemned to be immured in the Tower of Orthanc (Trump Tower?) with the would-be Dark Lord Saruman (The Orange One)...

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gillmck
Apprentice
# 12870

- Posted      Profile for Gillmck         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Gillmck:

I wanted to hate this, but it is actually pretty good. If you could bring some of the ideas and comments from your podcast here to discuss rather than a hit-and-run link, that'd be much more helpful.
Thanks Mr Cheesy - and point taken!
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump would not have had my vote had I been an American,

But...........

Clinton: smug, self-satisfied, self-righteous, sense of entitlement. Candidate of Wall Street, candidate of the Democratic and Republican elite consensus, candidate with no fire in her belly, candidate with no dragons to slay, candidate without charisma, candidate for all America seeking a miserly 269+1. Feminist without sisters, mother without sons, perpetually buttoned up in a botoxed (?) cocoon.

Let's face it, shipmates, she missed an open goal. She bombed!

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feminist without sisters? You need to clean your glasses. Your need for tidy parallelisms has dragged you into untruth.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
candidate for all America seeking a miserly 269+1. Feminist without sisters, mother without sons, perpetually buttoned up in a botoxed (?) cocoon.

Kwesi, you made all of one post on the election thread about 2 years ago; faced with the grotesque that is President-elect Donald Trump, this is what you're moved to write?

WTF?

"seeking a miserly 269+1" As if she were carefully trying to avoid winning by more than the barest minimum.

"mother without sons?" Yes, how dare she consider herself a valid candidate - a female whose claim to motherhood consists only of a solitary daughter!

"botoxed (?)" What's with the question mark? You don't know, but can't miss the opportunity to take a swipe at her appearance?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda--

quote:
He will do good things, not because he is in any way interested in doing anything in particular, but because otherwise he will go down in history as a Loser President, down there with Millard Fillmore.

AIUI, Fillmore is known for putting the first bathtub in the White House. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

All right, let's have something fun. Here is the Amazon listing for a Trump Christmas ornament. Go down and read the comments. There must be thousands of them, all of them LOL funny. This is as good as the Binder Full of Women reviews.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda [Overused]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda has some sort of magical Trump-shit detector thing going on. I love that link! Amazon just wants to seriously sell the ornament, but humans have turned it into a free form parody. I have hope. [Smile]
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In those dear dead days beyond recall, when Mitt Romney boasted of his binders full of women, a cheap ordinary 3-ring binder on Amazon was designated as That Binder. The reviews must have numbered in the thousands, page after page of complaints about how it was not pink, how women did not have three-hole punches, etc. etc. You could laugh until you fell off your desk chair.

Pure crowd-sourced humor. It is delightful to see that some traditions do not die.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
there are also apparently Trump diapers and menstrual pads.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

Dave W
quote:
candidate for all America seeking a miserly 269+1. Feminist without sisters, mother without sons, perpetually buttoned up in a botoxed (?) cocoon.

Kwesi, you made all of one post on the election thread about 2 years ago; faced with the grotesque that is President-elect Donald Trump, this is what you're moved to write?

WTF?

"seeking a miserly 269+1" As if she were carefully trying to avoid winning by more than the barest minimum.

"mother without sons?" Yes, how dare she consider herself a valid candidate - a female whose claim to motherhood consists only of a solitary daughter!

"botoxed (?)" What's with the question mark? You don't know, but can't miss the opportunity to take a swipe at her appearance?

269+1. The office which Hilary Clinton was seeking was that of President of the United States, to represent all Americans. That vision seemed absent from campaign tactics aimed to mobilise identified gender and ethnic categories to achieve narrowly what was necessary to win. Her reference to “deplorables" to described supporters of Trump betrayed the mindset, just as Romney indicated the Republicans could forget 47 percent of the electorate when he ran against Obama. Candidates, of course, are aware of the importance of sectional difference and the importance of core supporters, but there needs to be a vision for all. Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Reagan Bill Clinton, were happy warriors who loved America and its people. The trick is to have a campaign focus that stretches beyond core support and offers a vision, however vacuous (“Morning in America”, “Shining City..” “We can do it,... and all that) was remarkably absent from the Democrats’ appeal in 2016. Sectional appeals, the politics of tactics, are lost without a generally optimist, hopeful, and inclusive appeal. That should not have been difficult in 2016 for Clinton against an offensive and divisive Trump, but even he saw things getting better for everyone (even a beautiful wall), once America united behind “getting our country back.”

My further comments are specifics on my general point.

“Mother without sons.” I’m not criticising Hilary for not having given birth to a son, but she seemed aware that a large number of women have sons for whom they have aspirations. She talked about mothers having daughters who might become President etc., but not about the possibilities for sons whose disadvantages of social background, particulary in the black community, were far greater than the glass barrier she was assaulting.

“Feminist without sisters.” Hilary campaigned hard to attract the female vote, emphasising the misogyny of the egregious Trump and her desire to become the first female president. Not only was this unlikely to appeal to male voters, who might have concluded they were not part of the script, but she failed to enthuse young women and was less attractive to female white voters than her macho opponent.

“Botoxed (?)”. This was not intended as a reflection on Hilary’s appearance in a sexist sense, and is more aptly applied to John Kerry in a cosmetic context. Rather I was reflecting more on her literally buttoned-up appearance, and the general lack of spontaneity in her expressions and uncertain rapport on the stump. Meeting the people seemed difficult for her. Compare her, for example, with Bill Clinton and predecessors such as Harry Truman and Ronald Reagan, and even Donald Trump whose outrageous performances were undertaken with relish and received with popular enthusiasm.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So now there is a recount in Wisconsin, and potentially recounts in 2 other states. Should The Donald be worried? After all, we already know(ish) that he polled 2 million fewer votes than Hillary.

Does the system need an overhaul?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is like Remainers trying to challenge the outcome of the Brexit referendum, except with any chance of succeeding in overturning the result an order of magnitude or two smaller.

All it is likely to do is make the transition more troubled and bitter.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dave W
quote:

WTF?

269+1. The office which Hilary Clinton was seeking was that of President of the United States, to represent all Americans. That vision seemed absent from campaign tactics aimed to mobilise identified gender and ethnic categories to achieve narrowly what was necessary to win. Her reference to “deplorables" to described supporters of Trump betrayed the mindset, just as Romney indicated the Republicans could forget 47 percent of the electorate when he ran against Obama. Candidates, of course, are aware of the importance of sectional difference and the importance of core supporters, but there needs to be a vision for all. Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Reagan Bill Clinton, were happy warriors who loved America and its people. The trick is to have a campaign focus that stretches beyond core support and offers a vision, however vacuous (“Morning in America”, “Shining City..” “We can do it,... and all that) was remarkably absent from the Democrats’ appeal in 2016.
I don't think your description of her campaign message is even remotely close to the content of her typical stump speech.
quote:
Sectional appeals, the politics of tactics, are lost without a generally optimist, hopeful, and inclusive appeal. That should not have been difficult in 2016 for Clinton against an offensive and divisive Trump, but even he saw things getting better for everyone (even a beautiful wall), once America united behind “getting our country back.”

For everyone? Ok, evidently you weren't paying any attention to the Trump campaign either. Once again - Donald Trump is standing right in front of you, big as life and twice as ugly, and yet somehow you think Clinton is the one who deserves criticism for not being an inclusive happy warrior?
quote:
“Mother without sons.” I’m not criticising Hilary for not having given birth to a son, but she seemed aware that a large number of women have sons for whom they have aspirations. She talked about mothers having daughters who might become President etc., but not about the possibilities for sons whose disadvantages of social background, particulary in the black community, were far greater than the glass barrier she was assaulting.

Again, WTF? (See previous link for what she actually talked about.) The idea that this criticism (weak as it is, in my opinion) could be expressed as "mother without sons" is still repellent to me.
quote:
“Botoxed (?)”. This was not intended as a reflection on Hilary’s appearance in a sexist sense, and is more aptly applied to John Kerry in a cosmetic context. Rather I was reflecting more on her literally buttoned-up appearance, and the general lack of spontaneity in her expressions and uncertain rapport on the stump. Meeting the people seemed difficult for her. Compare her, for example, with Bill Clinton and predecessors such as Harry Truman and Ronald Reagan, and even Donald Trump whose outrageous performances were undertaken with relish and received with popular enthusiasm.

"You can say what you want about that Hitler fellow, but he sure knows how to get a crowd excited!"

It's hardly news that Clinton isn't a charismatic speaker - but the implication that this might be due to the use of a chemical widely derided as an expression of female vanity is, once again, your infelicitous choice of expression.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
This is like Remainers trying to challenge the outcome of the Brexit referendum, except with any chance of succeeding in overturning the result an order of magnitude or two smaller.

All it is likely to do is make the transition more troubled and bitter.

Except it's not the Remainers who are instigating it. Jill Stein didn't lose the election, Hillary did.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this short speach says a great deal about how many people are feeling now.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Except it's not the Remainers who are instigating it. Jill Stein didn't lose the election, Hillary did.

The Clinton campaign has signed up to the effort.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

The Clinton campaign has signed up to the effort.
It has now, yes, but had not when you made your comment.

[ 27. November 2016, 03:20: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I saw a headline that some computer experts asked Hillary to consider challenging the election results. Didn't read further.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my mind, there are four states that stand out for closer examination: Wisconsin; Michigan; Pennsylvania

The total vote difference of these combined states is 107,000 more for Trump. Wisconsin has a difference of 27,000. Michigan is actually still counting its votes, but their is a 10,000 vote lead for Trump. Pennsylvania has less than a 75,000 vote difference. Yet, the national tally shows Clinton is currently ahead by 2 mil votes.

Wisconsin turned away 300,000 voters for not having proper ID. That is huge.

Pennsylvania has no paper trail to cross check the voting machines. But the finally tally did not match what the exit polls were saying, so computer experts are wondering about the anomaly.

If, for some reason Clinton can win the recount in these three states she would become the president elect.

But a larger question remains about Trumps large business holdings across the world. Some people feel if he does not put his assets in a blind trust he will be running up against the foreign gifts clause which says:

quote:
Article I, Section 9, Clause 8: No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.
Deal of it is, I have never seen such a contested election result.

It is not over yet and probably will not be over for a very long time (even though the Orange One may hold the office for four years, if he is lucky)

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
So now there is a recount in Wisconsin, and potentially recounts in 2 other states. Should The Donald be worried? After all, we already know(ish) that he polled 2 million fewer votes than Hillary.

Does the system need an overhaul?

I can throw peanuts from another country here, because that's how I roll.

An overhaul may happen, but it seems to me there's a deliberate design here. This is the "United States" we are talking about, and the President is elected by the states in that union, not by popular vote. That may be something people want to change, but any such change may change the nature of State identity and how the states interrelate. This could be an improvement, but it could undermine state identity. And as an outsider, something in me finds it kinda cool how Americans tend to introduce themselves by state, like there's a pride in that.

And the union of diverse states, for all its flaws, has merit. IMHO

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Kwesi--

quote:
Trump would not have had my vote had I been an American,

But...........

Clinton: smug, self-satisfied, self-righteous, sense of entitlement. Candidate of Wall Street, candidate of the Democratic and Republican elite consensus, candidate with no fire in her belly, candidate with no dragons to slay, candidate without charisma, candidate for all America seeking a miserly 269+1. Feminist without sisters, mother without sons, perpetually buttoned up in a botoxed (?) cocoon.

Let's face it, shipmates, she missed an open goal. She bombed!

I know you gave explanations down thread. But, frankly, you still said all these extremely misogynistic, hateful things.
[Mad]

Your words here put your explanation in doubt, IMHO. And you said you wouldn't vote for Trump, but you're talking like him.

So...is what you said above your personal opinion? Is it somehow cultural? Or are you purposely posting rude and obnoxious comments?

Kwesi, do you get that this situation *MATTERS* to Americans? It affects other people, too--but we Americans and American Shipmates have to live with this, up close and personal, every moment.

Are you familiar with Trevor Noah? He's a bi-racial talk show host and comedian from South Africa. He took over the American "Daily Show" from Jon Stewart. He said, quite seriously, that Trump makes him think of African despots.

I proudly, enthusiastically, and thoughtfully voted for Hillary--as did many other people. (She *did* win the popular vote, you know, as of Nov. 8th. And it's *still* being counted.) But many other people voted for her to keep Trump out.

If you had a very difficult and dangerous election in your country, between a potential despot and someone who drew mixed opinions, would you want Americans--esp. American Shipmates--throwing around insults about the 2nd candidate, and how awful and ugly they are?

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Pennsylvania has no paper trail to cross check the voting machines. But the finally tally did not match what the exit polls were saying, so computer experts are wondering about the anomaly.

Can I ask for a source for that? The reasons I have seen put forward for recount was the fact that counties that used electonic voting returned substantially different proportions from those that used paper and scanner, introducing the possibility of hacking. The word Russians was thrown in there because why not. I'd think that the electronic booths would be well tested and protected from hacking (hacking an email account is one thing, a specifically designed federal election pooling booth another - unless the design was shonky.)

Since I asked you for a link regarding the exit polls, it only seems fair to link my source showing the county differences as a reason for recount.

Of course the other explanation for the variation in outcome is that the different technologies used in different counties in part reflects different demographics.

quote:
It is not over yet and probably will not be over for a very long time (even though the Orange One may hold the office for four years, if he is lucky)
My worry is that an overturned result from this process could be even more inflammatory and divisive than a Trump presidency. Which is odd, as my thinking thus far throughout this campaign/election has been naive and optimistic to the extreme.

[ 27. November 2016, 05:14: Message edited by: Goldfish Stew ]

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re electronic voting, etc.:

Check out Black Box Voting.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
My worry is that an overturned result from this process could be even more inflammatory and divisive than a Trump presidency. Which is odd, as my thinking thus far throughout this campaign/election has been naive and optimistic to the extreme.

Yes, I could see some redneck 'anti establishment' gun toting idiots feeling the need to take up arms [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inclined to think there may have been more danger of that if trump had lost the 8th.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I know you gave explanations down thread. But, frankly, you still said all these extremely misogynistic, hateful things.
[Mad]

Your words here put your explanation in doubt, IMHO. And you said you wouldn't vote for Trump, but you're talking like him.

I am reminded of Sam in The Scouring of the Shire, speaking about fellow-hobbits: "All right, all right! That's quite enough. I don't want to hear no more. No welcome, no beer, no smoke, and a lot of rules and orc-talk instead."

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Kwesi, do you get that this situation *MATTERS* to Americans?

It matters to the world. America is not a tiny nation tucked away where abuses are mostly internal. Whether any like it or not, the rest of the world is affected.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

I don’t think my remarks have been fully understood. True, they were deliberately couched in a provocative manner, but i would argue they are substantially true.

My beef is that the defeat of the Democrats in the 2016 respecting the Presidency and both houses of Congress rests to a significant extent on the Democrat campaign leadership (mostly blokes, I assume) and the unsuitability of the candidate at the top of the ticket. Of course it matters that Trump thus far has proved himself an utterly unsuitable person to lead the United States both at home and abroad. If I were an American I would be embarrassed by both his success in the primaries and in the election proper, especially if I were a Republican. Clearly, I don’t have to argue that with the contributors to this thread. My irritation, anger, if you like, is that the Democratic leadership has failed to protect both America and its friends and foes overseas from such a man. Trump’s unsuitability was so egregiously demonstrated by the candidate himself that it is a disgrace that his opponents with all their money and organisation were unable to defeat him. Given that he was so bad what does it tell us about Hilary Clinton? She and her advisors have let us down badly, and that is why they are in the dock.

As to Trump being like an African dictator I think the contexts and political circumstances between the USA and African states are too diverse for a useful comparison to be made . He is more like Berlusconi, who used his premiership of Italy to keep himself out of prison and advance his media interests. Fortunately, one believes the administrative, political and legal institutions of the USA will prove too strong to bow to any attempt by Trump to impose his personals rule by intimidation and bribery.

Trump may turn out to be a surprisingly good president, my guess his leadership will lack focus and end in frustration, or even impeachment if he messes up his roles of president and businessman. For what it’s worth, the leader i most admire in the modern world is Angela Merkel.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My irritation, anger, if you like, is that the Democratic leadership has failed to protect both America and its friends and foes overseas from such a man.

This is not complete. Trump is also the result of Republican fear-mongering and rabid anti-Obama rhetoric. The media have also played this card and gave Trump free campaign commercials.

quote:

Trump’s unsuitability was so egregiously demonstrated by the candidate himself that it is a disgrace that his opponents with all their money and organisation were unable to defeat him. Given that he was so bad what does it tell us about Hilary Clinton?

Clinton is perceived to be part of the Establishment that many Americans are tired of. She did not distance herself from this and she has little telepresence.

She and her advisors have let us down badly, and that is why they are in the dock.
quote:

As to Trump being like an African dictator I think the contexts and political circumstances between the USA and African states are too diverse for a useful comparison to be made . He is more like Berlusconi, who used his premiership of Italy to keep himself out of prison and advance his media interests.

ISTM, he is a combination and it is only circumstance that pushes him to the milder comparison.
quote:

Trump may turn out to be a surprisingly good president,

I do not think this is possible. He will either fall in line with the Republican agenda or they will fight him.
That is aside from the fact that he has not the temperament for the office.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On November 8, 50% of USA citizens didn't care enough about their country to vote. On November 11, the country paid respect to those who gave their lives to save their country. Maybe if the dates had been reversed, more people might have voted.

I don't really care what the percentages would have been without Johnson, or with Sanders, or whatever, when 50% of the electorate didn't show up, even with a racist, fascist, sexist grifter on the ballot. Obviously the biggest factor in this election was irresponsibility.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
On November 8, 50% of USA citizens didn't care enough about their country to vote.

There are places people risk their lives to vote. This is disgraceful.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

lB--

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Kwesi, do you get that this situation *MATTERS* to Americans?

It matters to the world. America is not a tiny nation tucked away where abuses are mostly internal. Whether any like it or not, the rest of the world is affected.
And I said as much in the next sentence. [Angel]

Kwesi said particularly vile things--on-purpose provocation, according to a more recent post. IMHO, there's a difference between saying "wow, your election seems really complicated, and so-and-so seems unqualified/dangerous, and that may affect me and my country", and saying "that so-and-so is mean and ugly and doesn't have sons".

This is an echo of the gun thread in Hell, and many Purg threads: Americans are stupid, evil, and there's no possible reason for the way they do things. If they all followed our lead, everything would be kittens and rainbows and dancing in the fields.

If we try to explain, particularly on the gun thread, we're flat-out told we're wrong. If we fight back, sometimes things calm down--then the cycle starts over again.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall other countries being treated that way here. The US may be an empire, God help us and everyone else, but we're still human beings--and Shipmates.

When we went through this around the time of the election, I and others others pointed out that weren't really being allowed to express our grief and turmoil and concern about our own country, and that non-American posters didn't seem to really care. People started apologizing, and one said many posters had assumed we'd just *know* that people were concerned for us. And things got better, for a while.

Going through this over and over, on many threads, is both tiring and profoundly disheartening.

[brick wall]

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exit poll anomaly source http://www.inquisitr.com/3719288/exit-polls-indicate-hillary-clinton-might-have-won/
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
I don’t think my remarks have been fully understood. True, they were deliberately couched in a provocative manner, but i would argue they are substantially true.

Oh? Who were you trying to provoke, and why? What did you hope to accomplish with your weird talk of "mother without sons" and Botox?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016