homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
How is it meaningless? The United States chooses it's president the way it chooses it's president which is the way it's chosen it's president for over 200 years and that has NEVER been by overall popular vote.

No. The electoral delegates used to be chosen by the state governments. You are wrong. This is NOT the way we have chosen our delegates for over 200 years.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Saying that all other democracies choose their governments based on popular vote alone is pure and utter nonsense. You can't live in the UK complain about Trump not winning the popular vote and be OK with the SNP having more members of parliament than the UKIP or Lib-Dems. Don't give me that crap about Scotland being its own separate kingdom either.

Hold tight. I never said a single one of those things.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
How is it meaningless? The United States chooses it's president the way it chooses it's president which is the way it's chosen it's president for over 200 years and that has NEVER been by overall popular vote.

No. The electoral delegates used to be chosen by the state governments. You are wrong. This is NOT the way we have chosen our delegates for over 200 years.
Interesting. Do you know roughly when that change happened, and how it came about?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
quote:
quote:

Interesting. Do you know roughly when that change happened, and how it came about?
I'm having a hard time researching this. The sites are rather good on the niceties of the legal details, but schtum on the actuality on the ground. Frustrating.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
quote:
Ah, yes, American democracy. Con hundreds of millions of ordinary people into imagining that they are voting for the next president when they are in fact only voting for the 538 special people, themselves appointed on slates by the very parties standing in the election, who will choose the president; and then, when any of the special people vote the wrong way, discount that vote and replace the recalcitrant voter with another voter who can be relied upon to vote the "right" way.

And remind me again how the British elect their head of state?
We let God* handle it as he happens to have better taste than the American Demos. Unless someone wants to argue that Donald Trump is classier than Brenda.

*Actually, we did have to give God a teensy bit of a helping hand with the Protestant Succession thing and putting the skids under Edward VIII when he turned out to be a bit fash. But, by and large, He's done a pretty good job since 1688.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
We let God handle it. . . . By and large, He's done a pretty good job since 1688.

He certainly hit the jackpot with George III so far as we Americans are concerned.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
BTW, if you're in Aotearoa she's *your* head of state too.

Don't remind me

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

*Actually, we did have to give God a teensy bit of a helping hand with the Protestant Succession thing and putting the skids under Edward VIII when he turned out to be a bit fash. But, by and large, He's done a pretty good job since 1688.

Sure made a mess of things before that, though. Wonder what took him so long to focus?

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
We let God handle it. . . . By and large, He's done a pretty good job since 1688.

He certainly hit the jackpot with George III so far as we Americans are concerned.
George III was not so bad. Neither was the treatment of the colonies. And the revolution was not a populist movement, etc.
Understanding history is bad enough without nationalist propaganda.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Since 1804, the electoral college functions the same way it functions now. President and vice president were never chosen by popular vote. For the record, with a few exceptions, states have chosen electors by either winner take all or divided their electors by house district for over two hundred years.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
quote:
Ah, yes, American democracy. Con hundreds of millions of ordinary people into imagining that they are voting for the next president when they are in fact only voting for the 538 special people, themselves appointed on slates by the very parties standing in the election, who will choose the president; and then, when any of the special people vote the wrong way, discount that vote and replace the recalcitrant voter with another voter who can be relied upon to vote the "right" way.

And remind me again how the British elect their head of state?
IIRC, those standing as electors from some states are required to say for whom they will vote if successful and may not change unless that person is no longer a candidate.

Don't forget the manner in which the upper house of the British parliament is constituted - some elected by a very small constituency (most hereditary peers), some by long service in their jobs ( the bishops) and others appointed by various governments over the years (all the life peers ). Then there are still 2 who make their way by pure hereditary right. Don't start me on the democratic manner in which the Canadian Senate is constituted - it makes the Senates here and the US look like models of popular election.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Sure made a mess of things before that, though. Wonder what took him so long to focus?

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

George III was not so bad. Neither was the treatment of the colonies. And the revolution was not a populist movement, etc.
Understanding history is bad enough without nationalist propaganda.

Eh, is someone talking smack about His Most Gracious Majesty George III, of late and happy memory?

In my town the very centre is reckoned to be the intersection of George St. and Charlotte St!

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, George wasn't such a bad guy.John Adams liked him.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Eh, is someone talking smack about His Most Gracious Majesty George III, of late and happy memory?

George III was an usurper. I stand prepared to support Franz of Bavaria should he ever wish to declare himself King of the United States. Support in much the same way Iceland supports NATO military operations. I'll share some Jacobite memes on Facebook or something. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Usurpers don't get invited in by the populace. Constitutional monarchy we have.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't the USA president function like a limited term constitional monarch? With a consort queen in a first lady. An adopted crown pence. Though if impeached, doesn't get his head chopped off. Perhaps unfortunately.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems to be the place to put this.

Some of you may remember that, a week before the election, a church in Mississippi was burned, with the words "Vote Trump" spray painted on the walls.

They have arrested a suspect. The suspect is a member of the church, and at this time, the police believe that the arson was not politically motivated, although it may have been the intent of the suspect to disguise the fire as a hate crime.

It's hard to say what to think of this. I'm sure there are already folks on the radio saying that this proves that every report of a hate crime for the last few months has been made up. And certainly that is not true.

I think the worst thing we could do with this story is hide it or not report it, in fear that it will take credibility away from our narrative.

Any other thoughts? Mostly, I'm sad for the church, and sad about the kind of trouble the suspect has experienced in life that would have caused him to do this.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That about covers it. While I agree that we shouldn't hide it, I don't think we need to assume anyone would. At the same time, there really isn't much more to say. Just one of the sad tragic things that happens in life.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, George wasn't such a bad guy. John Adams liked him.

Suffered from porphyria, or some such. Hence, "The Madness Of King George".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

According to the deity wikipedia, in 14 states electors were chosen by the legislature (an interesting description can be found in Gore Vidal's novel Burr) until 1832, and then the only one remaining was South Carolina, which continued until 1860. As the majority of states had moved to a process where voters signalled their choice for a single ticket (or list), those remaining had difficulty justifying the limitation of choosing presidents to members of the legislature.

Two states (Nebraska & Maine) choose electors by congressional district, with a further two going to the candidate supported by a plurality of voters. Other states have done this in the past. As these are state elections, states can set up any arrangement they please, from proportional representation to the toss of a coin.

Keeping track of it makes Scottish peerage law simple by way of comparison.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Oh, George wasn't such a bad guy. John Adams liked him.

Suffered from porphyria, or some such. Hence, "The Madness Of King George".
Yeah, by the time Adams met him, he'd recovered. They apparently hit it off on first meeting, to the point that George told him if he had to cope with the idea of an officially recognized American embassador, he was glad it was Adams*

Which was really a win: win situation for Adams, as his fellow patriots, Ben Franklin in particular, tended to describe him a decent enough guy who was unfortunately the most undiplomatic diplomat they had*

* paraphrased, but not a hell of a lot.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always wondered how accurate the character of Adams was in the musical "1776". So vivid that it probably eclipses the real man.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I have always wondered how accurate the character of Adams was in the musical "1776". So vivid that it probably eclipses the real man.

Sooner or later there's always a revisionist historical musical (Strong language may not be suitable for work)
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Killing me]

Hamilton was among many of the Founding Fathers who found Adams's general decency to be complicated by his tendency to be an insufferable asshole. For his part, Adams couldn't stand Hamilton.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--Didn't know George III recovered.

--Thanks for the Adams rap link. Will check it out later.

--Re "1776": I love that film. And yes, Adams was a royal (or rebel? [Biased] ) PITA in it.

Non-Americans wanting to understand the founding of the US could do worse than watch that film musical.

--And, of course, there was the long-running feud between Adams and Jefferson. IIRC, their campaign rhetoric and insults got wayyyy out of control. But they eventually reconciled, and AIUI died on the same day.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

One of the reasons Jefferson and Adams wound up so bitterly estranged is that they loved each other like brothers. The division wasn't just a political spat, it was seen as an unforgivable betrayal by both men.

It's my understanding that Abigail ran interference between the two men in their twilight years, and when reconciled, they went right back to being soul brothers. I guess that's what made Adams one of my heroes. Whatever his diplomatic or political shortcomings, his letters to Jefferson and Abigail demonstrate that he made a point to let his loved ones know they were loved.

Uh, end tangent, I guess.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's rather a good tangent. Makes me wonder if Trump actually 'gets' brotherhood.

What is the point of strengthening the USA nuclear capability? In the aftermath of the election, I'm pretty dismayed by the great majority of Trump's appointments so far, but yesterday's 'policy tweet' was pretty scary.

If your intention is to deter, then the US already has ample nuclear capability. If your intention is to scare the world into believing that a savage madman is about to become POTUS, that's another matter.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
What is the point of strengthening the USA nuclear capability?

Small boys like big toys. He wants to look powerful.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Democratic senator from Oregon has commented that Trump has the emotional maturity of a 5-year-old. Various people are responding that this is an insult to 5-year-olds. What I like about it is that Trump is likely to respond with a tantrum, proving the point.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
What is the point of strengthening the USA nuclear capability?

Small boys like big toys. He wants to look powerful.
Some people judge a man by the size of his missile.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably right, RuthW. Strange to think the fate of the world is going to be in the hands of such a small boy.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..along with his little chum, Pootin...

[Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good News/Bad news scenario: The good news is that there actually is somebody that Trump will listen to. The bad news is that it's Putin.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:

Trump believes he has the advantage, though, for tiny hands always create the delusion of an unusually large cock.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Trump believes he has the advantage, though, for tiny hands always create the delusion of an unusually large cock.
On wonders, then, why he needs all these other compensations?

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

Maybe he can't get it up and nukes are his viagra.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an op-ed piece in today's POST I read that the Mango Mussolini won 81% of white Christian evangelical votes. Well, I guess that clarifies it for me. I am not white, and an clearly no longer evangelical. Christianity is on the bubble.

In an allied report, I drove through VA, NC, and SC this holiday to visit relatives. I saw at least two barn roofs painted with Trump slogans, and any number of yard signs, billboards, etc. Have resolved to not retire to a red state -- I won't be able to afford to, anyway, because they treat the safety net so poorly.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, by the time Adams met him, he'd recovered.

He recovered and then relapsed. This may have happened more than once. He ended up insane.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Genuinely sad to hear that. He seemed like a tortured soul.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In an op-ed piece in today's POST I read that the Mango Mussolini won 81% of white Christian evangelical votes. Well, I guess that clarifies it for me. I am not white, and an clearly no longer evangelical. Christianity is on the bubble.

That's not Christianity. That's the American Jesus. Happy Birthday Jesus! (scene from Full Metal Jacket)

[ 29. December 2016, 00:12: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In an allied report, I drove through VA, NC, and SC this holiday to visit relatives. I saw at least two barn roofs painted with Trump slogans, and any number of yard signs, billboards, etc. Have resolved to not retire to a red state -- I won't be able to afford to, anyway, because they treat the safety net so poorly.

On my annual pilgrimage to Florida to deliver my mother to her favourite golf haunts, I drove through the Shenandoah valley, with several backroad excursions to look at local cider-houses and vineyards (I note that I also pick up some very good local honey along the way) and can confirm Brenda Clough's observations. For amusement, one day in North Carolina, we counted the Hillary signs (3) against the Trump signs (182) in rural areas. The balance was about 50/50 in Asheville with a vote of 54% for Clinton and 40% for Trump.

My Asheville contact suggested that Clinton supporters in rural areas would be inclined to lay low when opinions were high, avoiding hard feelings with neighbours. Wilkes County (71% Trump and 21% Clinton), Caldwell County (74% Trump and 24% Clinton), and Henderson County (62% Trump and 35% Clinton) where we saw no Clinton signs at all might bear this out. In South Carolina, in Spartanburg and Laurens counties (both 63% Trump and 33% Clinton), we saw a single Clinton sign in each county.

Looking for the figures by county-- this site provides the idle with many hours of innocent diversion-- there seems to be a very strong urban/rural divide on this. Even in poorer white-working-class urban areas, there is a leaning toward Clinton over Trump. Doubtless someone will soon do a thesis on this.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People keep trying to compare Trump to Reagan.

Reagan knew he wasn't the smartest man in the room. And he also had actually talked with people who wen to war and knew it wasn't pretty.

Trump thinks he is smarter then everybody and has no clue about war's costs.

Trump is Trump and trying to equate him to anybody from the Republican past doesn't work.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be interesting to see how Trump handles Iran, as in one sense, Iran has been empowered in recent years, both by US action (invasion of Iraq, which knocked out one of Iran's rival powers), and of course, by Russian action in Syria, where Iran is a key player, along with its off-shoots, such as Hezbollah.

At the same time, Trump sounds displeased with the nuclear deal, and threatened to cancel it, I think.

I suppose one solution is to ignore the whole thing, probably not very practical.

John Harris has an article in the Guardian today, arguing that politics is becoming too complex to grasp. The Middle East is a prime example.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pity, then, that the only items Trump seems able and willing to grasp are female genitalia.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
<snip>
Trump is Trump and trying to equate him to anybody from the Republican past doesn't work.

This is correct, and the crux of the matter is knowing just how much power is going to come to rest in the hands of this individual.
It seems pretty clear he's going to face China down on trade.
If he starts willy waving at putin then there is a possibility the whole effin' place could go up. But even that is nothing new.

As for the Mid East it is difficult to see how trump could make any greater mess of that than his predecessors already have.
Hey Ho...Happy New Year.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

'My name is Trumpymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

(With sincere apologies to the shade of Mr. Shelley)

IJ

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Then you perceive the body of our kingdom
How foul it is; what rank diseases grow
And with what danger, near the heart of it.

But what good medicine?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I find myself rereading Yeats' THE SECOND COMING sadly. (My Ipad doesn't allow me to copy and paste links, alas, but any search will kick it up -- it's a short poem.)

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
<snip>

This is correct, and the crux of the matter is knowing just how much power is going to come to rest in the hands of this individual.
It seems pretty clear he's going to face China down on trade.

He won't and likely can't win that battle in reality but I suspect he will say he did something while actually doing very little. This fig leaf lying about actualities is what he seems to do. It might keep him in power for 8 years but as many have noted, his posturing is unlikely to do anything for the millions of Americans displaced by the economic changes of the last 30 years.

The question then becomes does who follows Trump pivot away from the current parties towards an even more totalitarian approach.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
(My Ipad doesn't allow me to copy and paste links, alas ..)

Tangent/

Actually it does but it's a bit of a pain. You hold down your finger on the touch screen at the beginning of the link you wish to copy and paste and a copy choice appears. Then after selecting that copy you go to where you want to paste and hold down your finger on the touch screen, obtaining the paste option.

/ End Tangent

[ 31. December 2016, 07:37: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:
quote:
(My Ipad doesn't allow me to copy and paste links, alas ..)

Tangent/

Actually it does but it's a bit of a pain. You hold down your finger on the touch screen at the beginning of the link you wish to copy and paste and a copy choice appears. Then after selecting that copy you go to where you want to paste and hold down your finger on the touch screen, obtaining the paste option.

/ End Tangent

In fact, press and hold anywhere in the link, not only at the beginning.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016