homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[/qb]

Yes, it is ironic and shocking how little regard the "pro-life" party has re human life. Same thing with the repeal (and no replace) of ACA: I have taken to carefully avoiding saying it is about "health care" or "health insurance". It's not. It's about human lives. Repealing ACA w/o any viable replacement is, quite literally, about people dying. End stop-- there is simply no other way around it. The photos of GOP Congresspeople cheering the repeal were absolutely horrifying. They were literally high-fiving one another over orchestrating the death of some of their fellow citizens.

Whatever you want to call that it most certainly is not "pro-life". [/QB][/QUOTE]

It is, however, consistently Republican. Close observation has revealed to me the foundation of their ethic: "For me, not you." Health care, for me, not you. Sex, guns, First Amendment rights, all apply solely to me and mine. You are on your own. My candidates get vetted with a light clothesbrush, yours should be grilled intensively over the coals. My proper salute is adoration; yours is questions about your birth certificate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have spent the day in radio silence (watching DVD of "Beiderbeck Connection", which is somehow comforting.)
I have heard a description of Hillary clinging to Bill.
I don't really want to know any more.

But what I do want to know is why this reality show buffoon has achieved more coverage of his apotheosis (reminds me of some Latin thing about Claudius becoming a god) than we have ever had abou tthe inaugurations of Bushes, Reagan, Kennedy or Obama. I'm sure it wasn't wall to wall carpeting of the stuff any other time. Not outside the States, anyway. Brief news items only, which did not stick in the mind.

[ 20. January 2017, 19:00: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
But what I do want to know is why this reality show buffoon has achieved more coverage of his apotheosis (reminds me of some Latin thing about Claudius becoming a god) than we have ever had abou tthe inaugurations of Bushes, Reagan, Kennedy or Obama. I'm sure it wasn't wall to wall carpeting of the stuff any other time. Not outside the States, anyway. Brief news items only, which did not stick in the mind.

Just subjectively, I don't think coverage of the inaugural was out of proportion to Obama's. That was a YUGE, historic event. The crowds, on the other hand, were MUCH smaller at Trump's today (though I heard pretty in line with inaugurations prior to Obama).

As William Carlos Williams wrote: "Hold back the edges of your gowns, Ladies, we are going through hell."

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those protests seem pretty intense from the reports I'm reading. Can't say I agree with the more extreme elements, but I guess there will always be those who turn up to cause trouble.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I watched to bear witness to the last moments of My President. When he waved as he was getting in the helicopter to leave, I waved back and cried.

Today, I'm dressed in black. There's a huge lump in my throat. God help us.

[my bold]

I've been fascinated, for a while, by how much Americans identify with the person of the president. We definitely don't see that here, at least I think we don't: we don't vote for our Prime Minister though -- and we seem to have them change mid-term [party ousting] as well as at elections anyway.

Is it as simple as because you [Americans] cast a vote for them you feel more "connected"? Is it to do with what they did -- i.e. Obama did plenty good, but I can also see some not-so-good from my outside perspective [increased drone strikes, for example]. I thought it may be, but then the person of the US President seems to be fairly engaged with, at an emotional level, all around the world. I must say it befuddles me. I wish them well, and Obama was an historic presidency, and I have no doubt will outshine the curent holder -- but I feel no connection to him, while many around the world see him as "Their President".

Thanks.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I can guess - "Trump is great, America is great, I am great great great, I will grate on your nerves for at least four years. I am so great, so very great. I lurve you all, you are going to feel so so great because Trump lurves you, you'll feel so good now, so so good"

Guess again Boogie. It sounded to me like a mix of undiluted nationalism and patriotic fervour to which even the crowd looked a little nervous.
If he can work even half of promised the miracles then all well and good. Trouble with the real world and politics is that miracles nearly always come at a price. History will be his judge.

But all inauguration speeches have a pile of nationalism and patriotic fervour in them. It would be weird if they didn't.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, nothing to worry about then.

New Mayor, same old town.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
OK, nothing to worry about then.

New Mayor, same old town.

I don't know about that. This one seems to have decided to increase the chances of using the job to feather his own nest (and the nests of his friends) quite a bit.

Rather than drain the swamp, he's pumping fertiliser into it.

[ 20. January 2017, 20:45: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a natural fertiliser. The image of a herd of pigs wallowing in their own excrement will be with me for a long time.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thought I had while listening to the Inaugural Address is...

Does the President really think that everyone before him really didn't care about creating American jobs? As much as he may criticize the government for sending jobs away, every politician worth his stripe, at least promises to create jobs for his own people?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These may be of use:

--"President Trump's Inaugural Address, Annotated" (NPR).

--The White House website has already been redone. The "Issues" section covers things he proposes to work on.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

Does the President really think that everyone before him really didn't care about creating American jobs?

This is not about reality. He's selling to the people who've already bought his rubbish.
quote:

As much as he may criticize the government for sending jobs away, every politician worth his stripe, at least promises to create jobs for his own people?

making a prediction right now. Trump will create fewer jobs than Obama.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donald Trump is the Second Nehemiah

Nehemiah built a wall, therefore Trump can build a wall. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Job jobbed. Now for Article 50.

The left is declining further and further and God is happy.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CBC reported about and interviewed a Canadian who was crossing the border into the USA. The USA border service turned him away because he was going to a woman's event. Apparently being pro-women is anti-trump. Hardly surprising I guess. I listened to the interview. While border guards may turn anyone away, they more or less admitted that they'd admit him if he was going to support trump. Link (CBC As It Happens).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

Does the President really think that everyone before him really didn't care about creating American jobs? As much as he may criticize the government for sending jobs away, every politician worth his stripe, at least promises to create jobs for his own people?

Right out of the Rob Ford playbook.

Everything that is good has never been thought of before. Anything not good is the fault of previous administrations. He'll play this for 4 years, with calls to Trump Nation whenever he gets stymied by something (which is going to be very interesting when he gets stymied by other governments) to donate and support him and buy his book etc. etc.

Added bonus - a legal document, in the form of an executive order, that says a lot about changing things but doesn't actually change anything. Seems he can't repeal Obamacare on day 1, so he's written an EO saying that Obamacare won't last long (but with all the usual things that have to be there legally about the law still having to be upheld).

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched the show on ABC i-view. I wish they meant eye-view. tangent. stop it.

I got four messages from it:

1. Fortress America, economically, politically, culturally.

2. Patriotism will cure America's problems, and if they are not being cured you need to be more patriotic America.

3. I'm pretty sure Trump said there were something like tens of ten million people there. Now is that an american billion or a british billion? Note: I'm very bad at mathS.

4. Trump was pausing for the cheers, and all he got was polite applause.

5. I was so bored I took the rubbish out in the middle of the speech. And I'm a politics junkie who usually turns each word over a few times.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Added bonus - a legal document, in the form of an executive order, that says a lot about changing things but doesn't actually change anything. Seems he can't repeal Obamacare on day 1, so he's written an EO saying that Obamacare won't last long (but with all the usual things that have to be there legally about the law still having to be upheld).

A good point and this is going to frustrate the hell out of Trump. Presidential power, even with Congress broadly of the same ilk, is constrained (AFAIK) by the Constitution and statute. Just as in his campaign and the preliminaries, we're going to hear a lot of what he's going to do.

Over here in Britain we have Royal Prerogative, but the use of that is subject to judicial review (according to Lord Denning, and I'll take his word for it).

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I've been fascinated, for a while, by how much Americans identify with the person of the president. We definitely don't see that here, at least I think we don't: we don't vote for our Prime Minister though -- and we seem to have them change mid-term [party ousting] as well as at elections anyway.

Is it as simple as because you [Americans] cast a vote for them you feel more "connected"? Is it to do with what they did -- i.e. Obama did plenty good, but I can also see some not-so-good from my outside perspective [increased drone strikes, for example]. I thought it may be, but then the person of the US President seems to be fairly engaged with, at an emotional level, all around the world. I must say it befuddles me. I wish them well, and Obama was an historic presidency, and I have no doubt will outshine the curent holder -- but I feel no connection to him, while many around the world see him as "Their President".

I can only speak for myself, but he's My President because I am so very proud of his tenacity, grace, intelligence, compassion, and love of his fellow Americans. There are things he has done that I'm not happy with, but President Obama had all the facts. I only saw end results. He tried to work with both sides of the aisle, but did not give up when Republicans tried repeatedly to block him.

This man's ethics and morals are of the highest order. His respect for all people was apparent. His fierce defense of the US was akin to a mother bear protecting her cubs.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. He's My President.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I identify with the Queen as Australia's head of state in a way that I don't identify with our Prime Minister, even our first female Prime Minister Julia Gillard. I think that's because Her Majesty is not a political figure, but iconic of the Commonwealth. She represents Empire, God and the Conquering Spirit of Brittania in the South Seas. She also goes a fair clip in the woolshed on her day.

--------------------
Human

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can honestly admit that in all the years since I first heard the name Obama, my thoughts of him have never been more pleasant than they are today.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Surely you understand that Obama has never created a single job, right? So Trump has a pretty substantial head start on him in that regard...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Rather than drain the swamp, he's pumping fertiliser into it.

I'd like to see a political cartoon of him draining a money "swamp" into his bank account.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Various thoughts on the inauguration, after a long nap:

--I started watching, on PBS, about 10 min. before the ceremony started. Was surprised at how many VIPs were crammed together. Wondered if the balcony (?) is sturdy enough to hold so much weight at once. (Even though it is probably stone.)

--The speech by Schumer (?) was disturbing. Started out sounding like it was going to be about healing divisions. But then it veered into writings by a Civil War (?) soldier, all about how proud he was to give his life for his country. And he died 2 weeks later. I wondered what we were being prepared for.

--The first 3 members of clergy (Cardinal Dolan, another man, and a woman) prayed, and said some things that maybe could be taken a couple of ways. Much of it was the usual "God. give us wisdom" stuff from the Bible. IIRC, I actually thought Dolan did a pretty good job, and I'm disposed (for other reasons) not to like him. I think I found something iffy about the second minister; and I found the woman preacher somewhat annoying, though I was glad a woman was included.

--Later, a rabbi prayed. Seemed clear to me he was sending a message about continuing to support Israel. Something about allied countries that share the same beliefs, and "if I forget you, oh Zion" (or some such).

--Franklin Graham was next. Actually, he directed his remarks to T, rather than praying.

--Justice Clarence Thomas swore in VP Pence. (Thomas actually spoke! [Biased] He's known for not speaking much in Supreme Court hearings, though I think he may have spoken more since Scalia died.) Maybe it's just me, but the VP oath seemed to take longer than the presidential. Is it longer? I haven't had a chance to check.

--T's speech was scary. (I linked to a transcript, upthread a bit.) And his assertion that "God will protect us!" was possibly the scariest bit.

--Jackie Evancho sang well. Saw an interesting bit on TV, last night, about Jackie and her trans sister Juliet, their relationship, and the social media criticism of Jackie endorsing T by performing, and thus dissing her sister and other LGBT folks. However, they seem very close, and very proud of each other. (I think this was on "Nightline".)

That's about all I can think of, right now. I turned off the TV after the Obamas left, and some people moved on to the luncheon. Listened to NPR, but eventually fell asleep.

Oh, and while PBS didn't spend a lot of time zooming their cameras in on particular people, I did see Hillary a few times. She seemed to be in pretty good shape. As to the people who booed when she arrived... [Frown]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Surely you understand that Obama has never created a single job, right? So Trump has a pretty substantial head start on him in that regard...

As your posts don't generally indicate you understand the word understand, I'm not sure explaining anything will be of much help.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Franklin Graham was next. Actually, he directed his remarks to T, rather than praying.

In other words, he prayed to his god.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
his assertion that "God will protect us!" was possibly the scariest bit.

Scarier to my non-American mind was his misappropriation of Psalm 117:
quote:
How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity
following directly on the heels of
quote:
When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can honestly admit that in all the years since I first heard the name Obama, my thoughts of him have never been more pleasant than they are today.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Please see this link from the Wall Street Journal. While the Obama's presidency doesn't have a stellar record, it is many million times better than "a single job".
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Yes, that was very noticeable, wasn't it. I have also read elsewhere this morning that the speech had many quotes lifted almost wholesale from sci-fi films. \It would be funny if it wasn't so very worrying.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And his assertion that "God will protect us!" was possibly the scariest bit.

Even as an atheist I agree with this opinion about Trump''s cringe-making remark.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Susan--

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:

Yes, that was very noticeable, wasn't it. I have also read elsewhere this morning that the speech had many quotes lifted almost wholesale from sci-fi films. \It would be funny if it wasn't so very worrying.
Interesting. Will have to look that up. ISTM that he may have adapted Lincoln, in the first couple of sentences, and JFK later on.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
And his assertion that "God will protect us!" was possibly the scariest bit.

Even as an atheist I agree with this opinion about Trump''s cringe-making remark.
And that in a country which fiercely separates Church and State!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Golden Key

I'm never quite sure whether to post links to another forum here so will send it to you in a pm.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Susan--

Ok, will watch for it. I think it's ok, though, to post a link to another forum. We're just not supposed to start a war between us and them, AIUI.

Thanks.

[ 21. January 2017, 08:08: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
It's a natural fertiliser. The image of a herd of pigs wallowing in their own excrement will be with me for a long time.

Unfair to pigs. As my grandfather, a farmer, explained to me, pigs are actually very clean creatures and keep their excrement separate from where they live and wallow. If they are wallowing in excrement, it is because the humans who are keeping them do not allow them to organise their lives the way they want.

I think these people are more akin to that sort of pig keeper.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

This is an article about the interpretation of Trump's speech that Susan mentioned:

"Trump ‘lifted’ lines from Hollywood films for his inaugural speech." (Jantaka Reporter)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I identify with the Queen as Australia's head of state in a way that I don't identify with our Prime Minister, even our first female Prime Minister Julia Gillard. I think that's because Her Majesty is not a political figure, but iconic of the Commonwealth. She represents Empire, God and the Conquering Spirit of Brittania in the South Seas. She also goes a fair clip in the woolshed on her day.

Okay, I'm generally pretty neutral about the whole republican debate in Australia, but I find it downright bizarre that you explanation of why you identify with the Queen as head of Australia mentions "the Commonwealth", "Empire" (presumably the British one), and "Brittania".

So basically, you identify her as head of Australia for reasons that have nothing uniquely Australian about them.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks jedijudy & simontoad [very interesting!]; appreciate your responses. Gives me something to think on.

[edit: orfeo was more direct than I]

[ 21. January 2017, 08:31: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re "my president":

What our Jedi said.

A local retro TV station, associated with the Decades.com network, is running retrospectives on the inaugurations of the last 56 years. I've just seen both of Obama's inauguration speeches--so much saner than T's speech. And calming.

During the whole impeachment mess with Bill Clinton, someone was quoted in the media as saying "Europeans elect managers, and Americans elect messiahs". I don't know about Europe, but there's truth to the American part of that.

Plus, since we don't have a parliamentary system, we can't collapse and rebuild our gov't as needed/wanted. We like and expect stability. And we have only a president. So everything gets focused on one person, for better or worse. Mind you, if we *did* have a parliament, we'd probably collapse the gov't every few weeks.

[ 21. January 2017, 09:02: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
The left is declining further and further and God is happy.

There have been other times in history when people believed God was happy whereas in fact they were standing on the edge of an almighty fuckup.
This whole business isn't about Left or Right it is about people, and what people are capable of.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is an article about the interpretation of Trump's speech that Susan mentioned:

"Trump ‘lifted’ lines from Hollywood films for his inaugural speech." (Jantaka Reporter)

The one from Avatar is pretty convincing.

Plagiarism is, in my view, a good litmus test for con artistry. It is proven here beyond reasonable doubt. And Trump's cavalier attitude to it tells you all you need to know about his ethics without having to sift through leaked reports or fifteen-year-old videos.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Paying people to fill the bleachers at the Inauguration is an excellent start. Carry on!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Indeed, what better way to convince an audience that you can reinstate a fictional Golden age than to use lines and quotes from a fictional golden age.

Like simontoad I noticed trump pausing for cheers that didn't materialise. It could have been the rain or it could be that people are bored already. This is the age of the Internet, people are different. We may be moving into a new age there will though be no going back.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key posts:

quote:
--Justice Clarence Thomas swore in VP Pence. (Thomas actually spoke! [Biased] He's known for not speaking much in Supreme Court hearings, though I think he may have spoken more since Scalia died.) Maybe it's just me, but the VP oath seemed to take longer than the presidential. Is it longer? I haven't had a chance to check.
IIRC there is no vice-presidential oath set down in the US Constitution-- they are just required to pledge to support the constitution.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Okay, I'm generally pretty neutral about the whole republican debate in Australia, but I find it downright bizarre that you explanation of why you identify with the Queen as head of Australia mentions "the Commonwealth", "Empire" (presumably the British one), and "Brittania".

So basically, you identify her as head of Australia for reasons that have nothing uniquely Australian about them.

I'm afraid I was going for bizarre, pointing out the absurdity that Australian Republicans find so irritating and parodying my own view.

I do identify with the Queen as our Head of State, and my reasons are that she is more or less apolitical and acts constitutionally. It's not a huge emotional connection, but I am a convinced Constitutional Monarchist. I think that as a system it has stood the test of time, and I think it has worked well in Australia. The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha has done a good job of not poking its nose into the affairs of their dominions and I see no reason why Charles will be any different as King. I think Australia is big enough to own its history, and I don't think a Republic is a necessary part of us growing up.

In the event that people feel that an Australian Head of State is really important, I propose an Australian hereditary monarchy be established. My suggestion is that John Dalgleish Donaldson be offered the Crown. He's the father of Princess Mary of Denmark, and a Scot.

--------------------
Human

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe it's just me, but the VP oath seemed to take longer than the presidential. Is it longer?

Out of curiosity, if the President were impeached would the Vice-President get appointed?
I'm sure Pence is entirely loyal to Trump and the question has never crossed his mind.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Us versus them. That's what I got from the little bits of trump speech. The comical part is a billionnaire and cabinet of like piggies identifying with the middle class, which it is piggies like this have done over. The paranoid unity of us versus them. Recession would be the thing to pray for as Americans pay more for everything.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Maybe it's just me, but the VP oath seemed to take longer than the presidential. Is it longer?

Out of curiosity, if the President were impeached would the Vice-President get appointed?
I'm sure Pence is entirely loyal to Trump and the question has never crossed his mind.

Yes. Here's the line of presidential succession. It goes: VP, Speaker of the House of Representatives, President pro tempore of the Senate, then cabinet officers in order of the creation of their departments.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised at how dsytopian Trump's speech was, but I suppose it lends itself to a messianic message. American carnage! But here is the Great Healer.

Also, there are so many hostages to fortune in it - he's going to get rid of terrorism, cure the drugs problem, and crime, and improve schools, and produce tons of jobs. I guess he doesn't care if he fails.

The quote from Avatar looks ridiculous, I can't believe it. Maybe he should wear a Star Wars uniform.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
The quote from Avatar looks ridiculous, I can't believe it. Maybe he should wear a Star Wars uniform.

I'm afraid Darth Vader is more appropriate and in his dreams Trump fancies that.

[ 21. January 2017, 13:46: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does President Pussygrabber still intend to build a wall or fence to keep those ghastly Mexicans out of The Land Of The Free? That's a job creation scheme on the grand scale, surely....oh, wait a mo, the Mexicans have got to build it for themselves, no?

Perhaps another wall along the border with Canada, to stop disloyal Murricans fleeing to a more friendly land?

Whatever. Given that that foreigner Obama failed miserably to establish his Muslim Caliphate, one hopes that Pussygrabber will be even less successful...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it ironic that Samuel Rodriguez's first words - from the Bible reading - was 'God blesses the poor...'. And it was just the beatitudes he read, wasn't it, I don't think he added any words of his own afterwards, apart from commending of the scripture. And I was sorry that Franklin Graham decided to appropriate the rain as God's blessing on Trump's administration, but actually let's hope God does bless it, somehow, because we're all in trouble if he doesn't!

The Avatar-like quote now makes sense. When I heard Trump say it in his speech it really jarred. I thought how strange and unlike him it sounded. And how it didn't even seem consistent with his language and content up to that point. A cut-and-paste job from the Hollywood school of hackneyed cliches makes more sense.

And I felt so sorry for the girl who sang the national anthem, she looked and sounded terrified. A sweet but rather too fragile and thin voice for such a big occasion. She was clearly nervous, not surprisingly. But she kept going to the end, so good on her. She didn't let it overwhelm her.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016