homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't watched the coronation or listed to the speeches, but I did enjoy seeing the entertainment provided by George W. Bush doing battle with a rain poncho.
[Killing me]

(Be sure to scroll down the page to see Rick Perry blowing a bubble with his gum behind Trump as the rabbi spoke.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I was sorry that Franklin Graham decided to appropriate the rain as God's blessing on Trump's administration....

That strikes me very much like Shift saying, "No, no. It's a sign the other way. I was just going to say that if the real Aslan, as you call him, meant us to go on with this, he would send us a thunderclap and an earth-tremor. It was just on the tip of my tongue, only the sign itself came before I could get the words out."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes.com is reporting that 'Avatar' contains no line like the one Trump supposedly borrowed.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought it ironic that Samuel Rodriguez's first words - from the Bible reading - was 'God blesses the poor...'. ...

It's a safe bet that the Trump administration will make every effort to ensure the poor remain in their blessed state. So doubly ironic.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I was surprised at how dsytopian Trump's speech was, but I suppose it lends itself to a messianic message. American carnage! But here is the Great Healer.

Neocons now seem like the voice of reason.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
I was sorry that Franklin Graham decided to appropriate the rain as God's blessing on Trump's administration....

That strikes me very much like Shift saying, "No, no. It's a sign the other way. I was just going to say that if the real Aslan, as you call him, meant us to go on with this, he would send us a thunderclap and an earth-tremor. It was just on the tip of my tongue, only the sign itself came before I could get the words out."
Yep. It cuts both ways, which is why I hope God does bless Trump's administration, rain or no rain.

I'm kind of sorry about the Avatar debunk, it would've given some light relief to the subject; but maybe Trump could've gone for this instead? [Big Grin]

And when Trump was talking about giving everything back to 'you', the ordinary, ignored Americans, I presume he was going to start with his unpaid taxes?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Snopes.com is reporting that 'Avatar' contains no line like the one Trump supposedly borrowed.

Thanks for that update.

I regret having been taken in, and should know better.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re rain as blessing:

Hmmmm. Noah.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re rain as blessing:

Hmmmm. Noah.

Anent that Noah....

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought for a moment that the aliens in the cartoon were pi**sing on poor Noah....

....but maybe Golden Showers are what The Great Trumpkin is indeed promising, to all those who are sincere (and patriotic).

[Paranoid]

IJ

(Hasn't he started that wall yet ?)

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madonna being classy as usual:
quote:
“I’m not your bitch”
“Don’t hang your shit on me”
“Donald Trump suck a dick”

---

These protests are something to behold online and on radio. Is there any precedent for such a thing in US history? I cannot recall if there were any when Bush II was inaugurated, but if there were I'm guessing they weren't on this size [and worldwide]. Do protests generally occur at inaugurations?

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Madonna being classy as usual:
quote:
“I’m not your bitch”
“Don’t hang your shit on me”
“Donald Trump suck a dick”

---

These protests are something to behold online and on radio. Is there any precedent for such a thing in US history? I cannot recall if there were any when Bush II was inaugurated, but if there were I'm guessing they weren't on this size [and worldwide]. Do protests generally occur at inaugurations?

The documentary Farhenheit 9/11 shows footage of protests that occured at the Bush inauguration in 2000, with the implication that this was covered up by the mainstream media. But I saw a discussion on a messgae board where someone retorted that there are ALWAYS protests at inaugurations, and that's why the media didn't consider it worth reporting.

Not sure what I'd make of that latter claim, but in regards to your first question, yes there were protests when Bush II was inaugurated.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's the scale of the protests in other countries that's unusual?

Madonna -
[Overused]

Not that Pussygrabber will take any notice of any of it, sadly. But let's at least live in hope that some of his muppets will...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The anti-war rallies in the 80's were very large but these ones today look to be larger.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
These protests are something to behold online and on radio. [QB]Is there any precedent for such a thing in US history? I cannot recall if there were any when Bush II was inaugurated, but if there were I'm guessing they weren't on this size [and worldwide]. Do protests generally occur at inaugurations?

As Stetson points out inaugurations (or any large gathering, for that matter) often attract counter-demonstrators. What's unusual (even unprecedented) here is that more people seem to have shown up for the anti-Trump demonstration in Washington (not even counting similar demonstrations elsewhere) than showed up for Trump's inauguration itself.

As one blogger put it, Trump seems like he's starting out on Day One with Bush 2007 approval ratings.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Not that Pussygrabber will take any notice of any of it, sadly.

Actually I'm quite sure he noticed it. Anything that's about him holds his interest like nothing else.

[ 21. January 2017, 21:10: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

There are unverified reports of up to 100,000 at the rally in London alone!

Hopefully, Shipmates taking part - wherever - will call in when they've recovered...

IJ

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Los Angeles, the police estimated 500,000 attended the march, and they are notorious for underestimating such things. A local ABC news station reported 750,000. Downtown LA was overwhelmed, and the police had to block off additional streets around the rally and march venues to accommodate the crowds. Many of us never managed to march; there was no room! And I have never seen so many people on public transit here. Hours after we arrived, the trains were still disgorging passengers.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw no counter demonstrators, and hardly any uniformed police. I assume there were lots of undercover cops. Given that we spent over an hour unable to move at all, and some people were getting a little panicky about that, the mood overall was very positive.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You got very short memories guys. This is liberal hubris. What got him in power. It means zip. Bupkiss. Nada. Remember Reagan. & Dubbyer won 2 terms.

Embrace him.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin's right. If you don't have a plan for tomorrow, any amount of marching today is in vain.

All - and yes, all - successful political movements do one of two things. They either seize the reins of power, or they burn shit down. Sometimes they do both. That's the lesson of history. If we ignore it, we end up repeating its mistakes.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
You got very short memories guys. This is liberal hubris. What got him in power. It means zip. Bupkiss. Nada. Remember Reagan. & Dubbyer won 2 terms.

Embrace him.

I remember Reagan.

I remember George W.

This guy ain't them.

Not going to embrace this fool.

Didn't do it then with Reagan or W, certainly not going to do it now.

Trumpkin Central got very peeved about number comparisons for the inauguration. So much so the very first press event by the Press Secretary, lasting 2 minutes with no questions, was to yell at the press for reporting and to go on about numbers.

Somebody has a number issue.

Nah, not going to embrace this fool. He's a child and his people are focused on the small stuff.

You might insist on this bit of role play Martin but these people are incompetent.

I wouldn't hire em to rake a lawn because they'd keep stepping on the rake.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. He isn't them. Quite right. I posted above. He makes the neocons look completely sane.

It ain't liberal to oppose a sexual assaulter, a liar, a danger. It is sensible.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Here are der Failure's thoughts on Trump - probably NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZn1Juf4ha8&nohtml5=False

[Killing me]

IJ

Oh, dear God, thank you for that. I was laughing so hard that I had to watch it twice!
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Trumpkin Central got very peeved about number comparisons for the inauguration. So much so the very first press event by the Press Secretary, lasting 2 minutes with no questions, was to yell at the press for reporting and to go on about numbers.

Somebody has a number issue.

We just watched the press briefing - it was astonishing bare-faced lying of the sort you'd expect to see from someone speaking for Erdogan or Putin. It was stuff that anyone who gave even a cursory viewing to the news yesterday knew to be utterly untrue. The bulk of the claims were so contrary to easily-established facts, that you'd have to be delusional or re-enacting O'Brien from 1984, brainwashing Winston to the point where he will say four fingers are five, if Big Brother says so, to have the brass neck to pretend it was the truth.

It was also an all-out attack on the press/media doing their job of holding politicians accountable. Reality seems to be what Trump says it is from now on, don't bother him with facts.

And these are the people the Brexiters want us to suck up to for a trade deal. They actually believe you can negotiate with people who lie like rugs and who change their word from day to day.

We are so very screwed.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The danger isn't of his failure. It's the resounding success of patriarchy. The triumph of theocapitalism. Of Babylon the Great.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

quote:
The danger isn't of his failure. It's the resounding success of patriarchy. The triumph of theocapitalism. Of Babylon the Great.

Resounding success? They can't even get an easy spin right. For Pete's sake, that was so easy a layup even most of Trumpkin land was saying it "Of course there was less people - we are here for the people who can't be here because they have jobs, like we do, the job of making America Great Again."

They are wasting time doing nothing of value, and even that is not being done well.

This isn't Babylon. Its a small time Mom & Pop grifter operation that is worried about its image and self worth.

As for patriarchy having a resounding success, incompetence doesn't get much done - seen it before. It can cancel things, and will do one thing very very well and talk about it forever. But it fails to maximise its opportunities.

As for the triumph of theocapitalsim, that's not even close to coming true given the triumph of ear marks and local spending so congressmen and women and Senators can get reelected. Pah...this is all cut taxes and spend stuff.

This isn't about winning an election now, its about governing. And that takes a bit more then knowing Donald. A lot of these guys, and its mostly guys, are going to burn out themselves, burn out their trusted staff and burn through resources wasting it on doing things they think change stuff, but don't really. And you want to know why that is going to happen? Cause not only is bureaucracy so entrench in everything that they can't do stuff without somebody putting a brake on, but because every single one of them is more interested in being seen then in actually doing something. For Pete's sake, none of them even know how to hire well because all of them have a history of alienating staff.

They are crap at getting stuff done.

Nah...beware the competent ones like Cheney. Does anybody even see somebody like him in ANY of these appointees? Heck, Pence is the smart one.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheney wore a cowboy hat to the inauguration. Just a rain-beating fashion choice, or some kind of message?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Bush's rain poncho:

This has a different take on his various behavior:

"Did George W. Bush Just Shade Donald Trump's Inaugural Speech?" (Pop Sugar)

At the end of the article, don't miss what he said when asked his opinion of the speech.
[Snigger]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was distressed to have to work today. My facebook feed is full of pictures of my friends among the 750,000 rallying in L.A. They tell me the wait to find room on the trains to get downtown was over an hour. They squished on to the packed trains and loved it.

The best pictures of the day, though, had to be the pictures of cops in several cities assigned crowd control, in full uniform-- with the addition of the glorious pink pussy caps.

Those are vying for top spot with the pictures of the protests in Antarctica.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

They estimated 130,000 in Seattle today. (The population is only 650,000, so that's a big chunk of people!) I got stuck in traffic trying to get to the hospital to visit my tai chi teacher, and never got to see him at all. But it was amazing how packed the route was (I was a block away from it at one point). Glad they had such a great turnout. If you have to not reach your destination, it's good for it to be for a very good reason.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made it into LA for the march. And, yes, the train stations were packed, but luckily my friends and I went early and started from a station that was near the beginning of the line. I did talk to one woman who came from West Hollywood who had no problem getting there comfortably. She came on a bus. She was amazed- her bus was not packed!

The streets were hugely crowded, and from my point of view the event was more of a shuffle than a march. I never did get to City Hall. But I'm still glad I was there. The atmosphere was happy and positive because we felt we were finally being heard. Plus the signs were great!

The only conflict I saw with police was when some drunk thumped a patrol car. Everyone around made disapproving sounds and the officer looked the man in the eye and told him, "Hey! Everyone here is acting nice. Show some respect!" And the officer let a more sober friend herd him away.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

So someone went to the CIA today, and spouted a lot of BS...

"Campaign Trail Trump On Display As He Goes To CIA On First Day As President." (NPR)

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that got me wasn't the marches. There's been plenty of marches in America. Did they get a million men for the million man march? an irrelevancy no doubt. I think the marches were good. I think it was good that so many people marched in protest.

So, what got me was the lecture that the new White House Press Secretary gave to the assembled media. It was intimidating and forcefully pushed the idea that the Press Secretary was going to tell the media what the truth was, and it was their job to report only that truth. Offending journalists would be named and shamed. The speech was a little over 4 minutes. It is worth a listen, and I urge you to find a copy on your media of choice and watch it.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Apart from being a grand day out, marches that don't get nasty in a plural society achieve what?

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Lyda*Rose - thanks for that little cameo of how the police dealt with a potential 'situation'!

LAPD - [Overused]

(Why, that's the sort of thing our police might do...even today).

IJ

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The anti-war rallies in the 80's were very large but these ones today look to be larger.

Which was was being protested in the 80s? The Cold War generally, the nuclear arms race, the American proxy conflicts in Central America...?

Or did you mean to write "the 60s"?

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'd love to see the briefings completely boycotted except by Russia Today.

--------------------
Love wins

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
This is about as close to the sky falling in as anything I can imagine, and is not simply governing the US of A. It is imposing death on many of the people of this world who have had no choice in giving him the power to do this. As the majority who voted against him have had no choice.

But certainly global warming is a more complex issue than one nation, or even one administration. The signs may not be good, but they haven't done anything yet. My point is if the initial starting position is complete resistance and total commitment to the defeat of the incoming administration, you should ready yourself for that in 4 years if the Democrats were to regain the Presidency.

The Democrats have a higher hurdle as well given the number of state legislatures, Governorships, and House seats the Republicans now control and are likely to retain. Sure, the Republicans started this intransigence game first, but playing along I don't t think will benefit the Democrats. They need a strategy to win the electorate that went for Trump and not just stay the course and play to their base. I haven't seen any signs that strategy is forming or emerging.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
My point is if the initial starting position is complete resistance and total commitment to the defeat of the incoming administration, you should ready yourself for that in 4 years if the Democrats were to regain the Presidency.

Maybe you didn't notice the last 8 years.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Og: great come-back, but what will the balance of perception be? I can't see the marginal consituency that put Trump in power not keeping him there. How can he fail them? How can his image fail? His rhetoric mirror? Any more than that of the women's march can fail them?

--------------------
Love wins

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Apart from being a grand day out, marches that don't get nasty in a plural society achieve what?

Individuals feel powerless oft times find the connection to others helps. Some marches disappear and are temporary in effect. Others continue to build into something more. Change may ensue. Parades are celebratory and complacent. Marches are protest and unsettled.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

RuthW

# 13

quote:

They bring people like this woman into the fold.

This topic has its own thread - shall we continue this there?

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Og: great come-back, but what will the balance of perception be? I can't see the marginal consituency that put Trump in power not keeping him there. How can he fail them? How can his image fail? His rhetoric mirror? Any more than that of the women's march can fail them?

He can fail them by having his Make America Great Again hats made in Vietnam, which some supporters at the inauguration noticed and didn't like. He can fail them by taking away their health insurance. He can fail them by not being able to bring back manufacturing jobs because they didn't all go overseas; many were lost to advancing technology.

Four years from now his supporters will find that their lives have not gotten better, and if the Democrats aren't fools, they'll win back the White House.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think big marches can provide many benefits, they enable a movement to take stock, to bring in new recruits, to size up the task in hand. Of course, they don't always succeed - witness the huge marches over Iraq. I think I was in one that was over a million strong.

It's also a call to resistance, and people not yet involved can notice this. We are here, we are not going away, we resist.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Og: great come-back, but what will the balance of perception be? I can't see the marginal consituency that put Trump in power not keeping him there. How can he fail them? How can his image fail? His rhetoric mirror?

I think there are some people who voted for Trump specifically because they expected him to keep certain economic promises, ie. keeping jobs in the USA. They might be a minority, in comparison to the people who were just voting for the Image, or for a return to some vaguely remembered Good Old Days. However, unlike those latter dupes, the people who voted on tangible economic issues are not going to be so easily appeased by tough talk designed to mask the inevitable failure.

So far, we've had a few corporations, hoping to capitalize on what they probably thought was a presidential honeymoon, either agree to keep jobs in the US, or spin an existing decision to keep jobs in the US as being connected to Trump.

Sooner or later, though, CEOs are gonna say "Uh, no. We're moving to Mexico, because that's where we can pay the lowest wages." And that will be that. Trump might try to ask for help from congress, but the Republicans who control that body will know who funds their campaigns, and tell him to scr*ew off.

That will almost certainly move some of the "economic" voters away from the Trump camp. Whether that would be a fatal loss to his coalition, I don't know, but it could make a difference in keeping swing states in the Rust Belt in the GOP column.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Cross-posted with Ruth. Mostly agree. Wasn't aware of the Vietnam-made hats. Pretty bad, on both a symbolic and a consitency level. At this point, I think even his economic voters might be willing to forgive that gaffe("Oh come on, everything is made overseas these days, but He's gonna change that!!"). However, if stuff like that continues, combined with the failure of the bring-back-jobs agenda generally, it could be damaging.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Question...

Where those Asian-made Trump hats official campaign merchandise? According to Reuters, the Make America Great Again hats sold on Trump's website ARE made in the United States, but the ones that people were buying from stores on the way to the inauguration were made in Vietnam etc.

I'd assume that the campaign approved the hats sold in private stores, but with piracy and whatnot these days, you never know.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's called "plausible deniability".

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

Which was was being protested in the 80s? The Cold War generally, the nuclear arms race, the American proxy conflicts in Central America...?

Or did you mean to write "the 60s"?

No I meant the 80's. Anti war rallies. Anti nuke rallies to but mostly anti-war.

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Maybe you didn't notice the last 8 years.

Here is that I said Sure, the Republicans started this intransigence game first

Scorched earth is a game the Trump camp can play and win at. I'm not as confident that the Democrats can.

[ 22. January 2017, 17:35: Message edited by: Alt Wally ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016