homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by RuthW:

quote:
If you haven't seen the reports of this, say so, and I'll post links.
I was tempted to ignore this because I'm depressed enough already, but better know the worst.

I'm sorely tempted to revert to the archives and remind myself what we were arguing about during the Bush era. This is turning into that line from Crocodile Dundee. "OMG! That's a really bad Republican administration"
"Nah, that's not a really bad Republican administration. THIS is a really bad Republican administration!".

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see turnout was below 50%. Of those that did vote, fractionally more favoured Clinton. Of the quarter of eligible voters who supported Fart, say a proportion were merely deluded - the he's-only-saying-that/I-always-vote-Republican/my-neighbour's-cousin-says-he's-a-nice-man brigade.

So on the plus side you might only have 10 or 20% of Americans who are spittle-flecked bigoted loonies.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I'd have more sympathy for them if they'd stop blaming immigrants, Muslims, gays, et alia for the shape the country is in. That they've figured out that the Republican establishment doesn't give a shit about them is awesome. That they've decided the answer is to elect a guy who has made racist whites feel more free to attack and assault people on the street - not so much. (If you haven't seen the reports of this, say so, and I'll post links.)

Post them Ruth. I haven't been so ashamed to be English until it happened here up to and after Brexit. Including murder.

We must subvert Caesar's tyranny loyally on both sides of the Atlantic now.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I see US Republican friends on FB claiming that such things have never happened, I would like to see links to reports too. Always nice to have something verifiable to bring into a debate.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
There is a nasty smelling odour in the air from certain quarters that is trying to say that no, this isn't that bad and that those who are scared need to just calm down* because he isn't or might not be a racist xenophobic, homophobic arse.

As others have said, these kinds of statements seem only to be coming from the white privileged set who aren't likely to be much affected by a Trump administration.

*given that this is coming from Mad Melanie Philips, it is quite a statement

If Mad Mel is telling us to calm down, then in reality it's time to stock up the fall out shelter with long life tinned food. Or just run. Run! Run!!!

[ 10. November 2016, 13:40: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I caught a bit of Mad Mel last night, my God, what doubletalk. It's not really racist to say that you don't want nasty smelly brown folk next door, making curries, worshiping Baal, and FFS, having funny names that begin with Al.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a new day. I'm alright now. So long as I stay in the house and don't go out where there are people. People talking, people with faces who probably comprise part of the 7,700 in my county who voted for him. And I keep the TV off and have vowed never to watch the news again. Because I don't think I'll ever be able to stand seeing Hewhoshallnotbenamed standing on the White House lawn with The First Bimbo squinting beside him, or God forbid, sitting behind the big desk in the Oval Office. Wait. I've imagined too much. I must go listen to old fifties music by the Platters for awhile.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
The First Bimbo

Nice [Disappointed]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I woke up yesterday to the first snow of the year (in North Yorkshire) and a fairyland vista through the trees. The night before I had watched the Ripon Hornblower warning all who had ears to hear that the Danes (or was it the Vikings?) were coming.

Then I switched on the TV.

My first (rational) thoughts were, with Britain out of Europe and America out of its mind, perhaps it's appropriate that the first American title to win the Booker Prize is "Sellout".

But wait! Not all Americans are crazy, and the USA is still a democratic country. Isn't it? So may it just be that Americans have chosen the leader they deserve? Time will tell. We've made some mad choices, apparently, this side of the pond. But isn't this absolutely the best argument for the Australian system (IIRC) of compulsory voting? Disasters by default might not...oh, wait another minute! Some of those Australian winners, now...

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I haven't been so ashamed to be English until it happened here up to and after Brexit. Including murder.

How do you know what happens "after Brexit"? It hasn't happened yet. Things might get hell of a lot worse when it does. Or they might not.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The boil came to a head in June. Everything else is drainage.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
The First Bimbo

Nice [Disappointed]
I actually had First Slut, but changed it to try to be nicer. Forget that. I shouldn't have called her a bimbo, I'm not really sure if she is one, which implies a certain airheaded stupidity. I haven't heard her talk much, at least not using her own words, so maybe she's actually fairly smart. But I do think the slut word is perfectly fair considering how she supported herself (nude modeling, mistress of rich men,) before she landed the big charge account at Tiffany's. This was never a case of third world desperation either, she had started college when she decided to drop out and make easier money. That's a moral choice, just like the moral choice of walking in on pageant girls while they're dressing. She is as responsible for her actions as he is. I know our climate today disallows "slut shaming," (which is, correctly speaking, not this but a form of bullying young girls) but we don't hesitate to call a man like Trump to task for his immoral sexual behavior. I think they should both be held equally accountable or not at all.

In one magazine interview Melania Trump was quoted as saying, "Donald married me for my looks and I married him for his money, what's wrong with that?" I guess it's a matter of opinion whether there's something wrong with that, just like it's probably a matter of opinion whether or not there's something wrong with men indulging in "locker room talk," but I would call both things slutty and a marriage like theirs of the lowest order, demonstrating the shallowest of values.

I still have an ideal in my head where the people in the White House represent higher values than the average person on the street. This couple is a big step below average. I hate to think this woman will be in the same position as Eleanor Roosevelt or Michelle Obama, setting an example for young women as to the goals they should have and the contributions they should strive to make.

It's part of the whole tragedy of this election that we've passed up a chance to show young girls that they can achieve the highest office in the land if they study hard in school and work hard at productive jobs, and have exchanged it for showing them that they can skip all that and just let people take pictures of them with their clothes off and almost end up in the same place.

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons why I expect the Trump White House to be a surreal place. There seems to be a built in selfish and self-centred shallowness at work. I said it in another thread but Obama's face and body-language spoke volumes today.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I keep the TV off and have vowed never to watch the news again.

Ditto. If news is important enough to reach me, it can do so by certified mail, return receipt requested.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's this. I had a job interview this morning for a staff writer position, and came away with this test assignment: "Write a piece about post-election stress."

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight, I hold no brief for Melania, but she didn't ask to be in the White House,* and she will hold no elected position. Why not have mercy on her and bury her in decent obscurity?

* Do you really think the Donald asked for her input?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Why not have mercy on her and bury her in decent obscurity?

OK, so long as she doesn't have Ikea in to redo the Lincoln Bedroom. [Eek!]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, here's the considered opinion of another well-known world leader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YEhNHNydIs&nohtml5=False

I'll get me jackboots...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og--

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Dumping 20K people off of the insurance rolls would be bad, to say the least.

Maybe "20k" is a typo, or refers to something I've missed. But if you really mean that as the total of people on Obamacare, read this from the official site (Obama Care Facts):

quote:
The Current 2016 enrollment numbers: The current enrollment numbers (as of February 2016) are roughly: 12.7 million in the marketplace, and very roughly 20 million total between the ACA between the Marketplace, Medicaid expansion, young adults staying on their parents plan, and other coverage provisions.
And from HuffPost:
" Trump Renews Call For Obamacare Repeal As Enrollment Begins About that replacement 'plan', though...."

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Twilight, I hold no brief for Melania, but she didn't ask to be in the White House,* and she will hold no elected position. Why not have mercy on her and bury her in decent obscurity?

Because Bill Clinton's sexual past and qualifications as First Gentleman have been hashed over and brought up incessantly during this election. She may not have "asked," to be in the White House, however you're picturing that, but she certainly has been front and center during the campaign, speaking about what a good man her husband is and marching up on the stage at every opportunity. I doubt very much that she's wanting to sink into obscurity now.

I'm hearing, from all the people who maintain a hands-off poor Melania position, a bit of the protective, patronizing attitude that says she's just a poor little woman who can't think for herself and as a good wife must follow her husband's path without opinions of her own. As such she's not responsible for her actions, or the positions she endorses, in the same way the man is.

That's the residual 1950's attitude about women that's caused so many Americans to find it impossible to really picture a woman as president.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stay on the Battlefield

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The beginning of the end of the First Amendment?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I see turnout was below 50%. Of those that did vote, fractionally more favoured Clinton. Of the quarter of eligible voters who supported Fart, say a proportion were merely deluded - the he's-only-saying-that/I-always-vote-Republican/my-neighbour's-cousin-says-he's-a-nice-man brigade.

So on the plus side you might only have 10 or 20% of Americans who are spittle-flecked bigoted loonies.

How very like our own dear Britain, although we do get slightly better turnout. Bang on about the 10-20% though.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this doesn't chill your blood, you are made of sterner stuff than I.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is calling for the creation of a new House Committee on Un-American Activities, invoking the infamous "Red Scare"-era congressional body as a blueprint for weeding out American ISIS adherents and sympathizers.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:

Because Bill Clinton's sexual past and qualifications as First Gentleman have been hashed over and brought up incessantly during this election. She may not have "asked," to be in the White House, however you're picturing that, but she certainly has been front and center during the campaign, speaking about what a good man her husband is and marching up on the stage at every opportunity. I doubt very much that she's wanting to sink into obscurity now.

I'm hearing, from all the people who maintain a hands-off poor Melania position, a bit of the protective, patronizing attitude that says she's just a poor little woman who can't think for herself and as a good wife must follow her husband's path without opinions of her own. As such she's not responsible for her actions, or the positions she endorses, in the same way the man is.

That's the residual 1950's attitude about women that's caused so many Americans to find it impossible to really picture a woman as president.

Oh seriously. Because Trump et al have been assholes by bringing up everything regarding Clinton's spouse, therefore it's meet, right and proper that we should be assholes now by attacking Melania?

As for the rest of your post--you haven't got much experience with emotionally abused women, have you. You really think that she has any freaking agency in this marriage?

It doesn't matter what gender you are or what century you live in--if you're married to a partner who holds all the power cards and has no human decency but a great regard for what suits him(her), you're screwed.

When Melania does something clearly of her own accord which is worth skewering, I'll be there. But at this point, all I can see is the major, major mistake of having an affair with and then marrying a narcissistic bastard--and I imagine she has paid for that in full, several times over.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garrison Keillor weighs in, via the Washington Post:

"Trump voters will not like what happens next."

I particularly like the paragraph beginning "We liberal elitists...". Hmmm...I wonder if heirloom tomatoes can be grown indoors?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Melania:

When watching, a while back, an interview of a man who knew her back home, I got the feeling that maybe Melania saw modeling as the only way to get out. AIUI, that can be a dangerous kind of work, in many ways (drugs, abuse, forced eating disorders...). And she's hardly the first woman to get involved with a powerful, rich man, or men.

I'm hoping that she'll fulfill the traditional first lady role of picking a good-works project. She could do some good on her own, away from her husband.

She should be treated decently, ISTM.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re Melania:

As should all women.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, you know that meme that is going around that shows Trump leaning over Melania at the polls? Really look at the body language. That girl is in trouble.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Garrison Keillor weighs in, via the Washington Post:

"Trump voters will not like what happens next."

I particularly like the paragraph beginning "We liberal elitists...". Hmmm...I wonder if heirloom tomatoes can be grown indoors?

I like that - thanks.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Martin--

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I haven't been so ashamed to be English until it happened here up to and after Brexit. Including murder.

Was the murder that of the woman politician who was shot in the street? (Remembering a little of the news.)

[Votive]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The First Bimbo

Nice [Disappointed]
Well, her current title is Third Trophy Wife. Is that any better?

Honestly, I loathe gendered insults, but in Mrs. Trump's case, what word would you use to describes a woman who has made a career and a life letting various people make use of her body and image?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Re Melania:

As should all women.
Memo: D Trump .....

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

mt--

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Re Melania:

As should all women.
Thanks. [Smile] And thanks to all the other men of the Ship who've said supportive things. First, Enoch posted a link to an awesome article by a *man* who really gets it and said it. Then I started noticing several men of the Ship also getting it and saying it.

IME, it's rare for men to do that.

[Overused]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
And she's hardly the first woman to get involved with a powerful, rich man.

Didn't someone named Marilyn Monroe precede her?

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ok, you know that meme that is going around that shows Trump leaning over Melania at the polls? Really look at the body language. That girl is in trouble.

OTOH, now that The Donald is President-Elect, he won't be able to trade her in for a Fourth Trophy Wife, at least not while they're in the White House.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Soror Magna--

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
quote:
The First Bimbo

Nice [Disappointed]

Honestly, I loathe gendered insults, but in Mrs. Trump's case, what word would you use to describes a woman who has made a career and a life letting various people make use of her body and image?

Someone doing work that US popular culture highly values? That fashion houses value? That seemed to be a better choice for her than what was available at home? And possibly someone in a situation she can't get out of?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abusive tendancies don't just go away.

Ok, I may have brought this up before, but remember that silly romp of a movie, The First Wives' Club? It was based on a rather scathing potboiler by New York socialite Olivia Goldsmith. One of the characters, Gil Griffin, was a serial adulterer on his second wife, and also a serial abuser, as it turned out. He was also depicted as a scorched earth type Wall Street tychoon, who did a lot of the kind of budget fiddling that has now been attributed to Trump.

Ivanka is listed in the opening acknowledgements as one of "The brave women who shared their stories." Some speculate that Gil Griffin is based on Trump.

The reason I bring this up is that the photo of Melania in the meme really reminded me of the descriptions of the trophy wife in the novel, her withdrawn, hunched- shoulder stance. Probably just projection, but it really gave me chills. You'd have to read the book to really understand how unsettling a mental connection that was for me to make.

[ 11. November 2016, 01:48: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Has she hurt anyone by doing so? If not why the insult?

On another note four local Pet Partners brought their dogs on campus today. I think the university libraries organize this about once a month so that stressed out students can pet a dog and usually there are a handful of students at a time. Today each dog was surrounded by a crowd of students (and lapping up the attention).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

OTOH, now that The Donald is President-Elect, he won't be able to trade her in for a Fourth Trophy Wife, at least not while they're in the White House.
I don't see any reason for that to be the case. There's certainly no legal barrier. And even appeasing voters need not be a concern. If they weren't concerned about his prior adulteries and sexual assaults why would they care about something as garden variety as a divorce. It's not like he was (gasp)
gay married

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:
quote:
The First Bimbo

Nice [Disappointed]

Desperate.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, links about assaults and harassment committed in the wake of Trump's election:

From CNN: racist graffiti and several hate crimes.

If you're on Facebook or Twitter, look up Shaun King - he's compiling these things. Or see some of what he's collected here on popsugar.

Here's a collection on Twitter from people documenting things that have happened in the last day or two. Here's a sample: a young woman writes, "Today, I was harassed by an older white man who presumed I was Mexican. 'I can't wait until Trump asks us to rape your people and send you back over the biggest damn wall we're going to build. Go back to hell, wet back.' After saying all of that, he threw the water in his cup in my face, gave me the middle finger, and ran off. It took every fiber of my being to hold my tongue and not chase him down. I'm in tears right now. I've never been terrified of being a woman and a minority until today."

From The Advocate: Trump supporters smashed a beer bottle in a gay guy's face in Santa Monica, CA (known by those of us in the area as "The People's Republic of Santa Monica" because it so friggin' liberal -- this isn't just happening in red states).

More generally, and still local to me, from the LA Weekly: hate crimes in Los Angeles County declined seven straight years until 2015, at which point they rose 24 percent. Hate crimes against Latinos went up 69 percent last year.

Anyone here who supported Trump: this is on you.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will add that I just read on Facebook that a friend from the Ship has a transgender friend who has received a death threat.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I had yet to turn off CBS News when my local station switched to the 700 Club.

First thing Dinosaur Robertson said was, "Welcome to day two of the liberation of America."

Sorry, Mr. Robertson, America will be liberated only when Mr. Trump is defeated four years from now.

(Feeling Angry).

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Miss Amanda--

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
And she's hardly the first woman to get involved with a powerful, rich man.

Didn't someone named Marilyn Monroe precede her?
And she was underestimated.

I never really understood what all the great fuss surrounding her was about, other than the obvious physical attributes. But people were so *obsessed* with her.

Then I found out 3 things that got me a little interested:

--She was a foster kid, and AIUI had a rough time.

--After she died, I saw a film clip of her bedroom or dressing room. Lots of books. I don't recall the titles, now. But I recall thinking, at the time, that if she was reading those particular books, she sure wasn't the dummy that so many people thought.

--I saw an outtake clip from a movie set she worked on. She was on break, and playing with this little dog. Marilyn was so happy and so natural. That was a Marilyn I would've liked to know.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who are trying to figure out how the American Electoral College works, this is about the best explanation out there.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I see turnout was below 50%. Of those that did vote, fractionally more favoured Clinton.

I don't like Trump, I'm sorry he won, and I look forward to his term in office with trepidation.

However, I am not sure that psephological analysis is an adequate therapeutic consolation.

After all, Salavdor Allende, who is generally regarded as one of democracy's martyrs, won Chile's 1970 presidential election with the support of only about 20% (1,070,334 of 5,200,790) of those eligible to vote.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re the hate crimes, etc.:

I feel like I'm in that "Star Trek: TOS" episode where a town follows "the will of L'Andru". (A malfunctioning computer, but they don't know that.)

Anyway, they are very good and very repressed, except for a celebration where they are *mandated* to let out everything they repress the rest of the year--ALL of it. Acting out all those ugly, selfish, evil, uncontrolled things that run around inside us. Murder, rape, and who knows what else. At the end of the "celebration", the survivors go back to their repressed lives, and don't talk about what happened.
[Paranoid]

I used to think that if the US and allies ever completely pull out of Afghanistan, it would be a very good idea to teach all girls and women self-defense, and somehow arm the women. Against acid attacks, and all that Taliban crap.

The self-defense training might be a really good thing here. I hope we don't need weapons.

I periodically take basic self-defense classes, to make sure I've got the basics. It's been a long time since my last. I should seek out a new one.

[brick wall] [Votive]

[ 11. November 2016, 06:02: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why are people here so quick to sit in judgement on Melania Trump? Maybe she just hasn't yet collected her alabaster jar
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far as Melania is concerned, it's better to aim high, rather than low. I wondered if Michelle Obama had given her phone number - "ring me if it gets tough - for any reason. In confidence. I mean that".

Michelle is a class act; she probably appreciates the unique difficulties Melania is facing.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016