homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is behind the paywall, but the headline says it all: Trump says he absolutely wants to register Muslims.
Far elsewhere on the internet someone has a grand idea: If this happens, we all register as Muslims. I think I will do this.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see Trump alternately attacked the protesters, and then praised them today for being passionate. Wow, this guy goes beyond chameleon.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
This is a unique position, it's not like the wife of a CEO or the pastor's wife.

Depends on the church. In African American churches, the pastor's wife is often called "the First Lady," and does hold a unique—and some might say exalted—position in the congregation, comparable to that of the First Lady of the US or of a state.
Speaking as a pastor's wife, this is widespread across the U.S. (though I might drop the "exalted" bit. Generally speaking the pastor's wife is expected to be second pastor and all-round bottle-washer-in-chief, and all feel free to criticize her for any reason. Rather like Melania Trump, in fact.
[Ultra confused] )

There are actually study groups and books made available to future clergy spouses during their spouses' seminary days that aim to prepare us for this reality. And my denomination has set up a kind of mentoring system for pastors' wives, at least within my own district (haven't looked into others).

Not because we hold an official position in any way, which would be hugely frowned on in a denomination that requires an official Call before you take leadership. Rather because they know darn well that people WILL impose these expectations on you and they don't want to see us fall apart under the burden of them.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly - Hester Prynne? (The Scarlet Letter).

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Very good. But surely slut-shaming goes with Christianity as Yorkshire pudding goes with roast beef. That doesn't mean I think all Christians do it, especially on a forum like this. See my story about prostitutes at Mass.

Oh bullshit. We had prisoners and --well, not quite prostitutes, because she didn't take money, but in every other way-- as members of our church, and nobody batted an eye. That is, until a handful of people left the faith and promptly developed goody-two-shoe-ism.

Our host congregation, too, includes the kind of people most would pillory.

I have never personally met a Christian congregation that made assholes of themselves this way. No doubt they must exist--you seem to have met them--but I see them only in news headlines, which frankly gives me some doubt.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is behind the paywall, but the headline says it all: Trump says he absolutely wants to register Muslims.
Far elsewhere on the internet someone has a grand idea: If this happens, we all register as Muslims. I think I will do this.

I must say this is a great temptation.

I have an ethical problem, though, with claiming another religion. Will it do if I say nothing verbally but just show up in a hijab?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
quote:
This is a unique position, it's not like the wife of a CEO or the pastor's wife.

Depends on the church. In African American churches, the pastor's wife is often called "the First Lady," and does hold a unique—and some might say exalted—position in the congregation, comparable to that of the First Lady of the US or of a state.
Speaking as a pastor's wife, this is widespread across the U.S. (though I might drop the "exalted" bit. Generally speaking the pastor's wife is expected to be second pastor and all-round bottle-washer-in-chief, and all feel free to criticize her for any reason. Rather like Melania Trump, in fact.
[Ultra confused] )

There are actually study groups and books made available to future clergy spouses during their spouses' seminary days that aim to prepare us for this reality. And my denomination has set up a kind of mentoring system for pastors' wives, at least within my own district (haven't looked into others).

Not because we hold an official position in any way, which would be hugely frowned on in a denomination that requires an official Call before you take leadership. Rather because they know darn well that people WILL impose these expectations on you and they don't want to see us fall apart under the burden of them.

Yes, although I think it's fair to point out that the attempt to market these books/seminars to "pastor's spouse" while sweetly gender-inclusive is totally missing the point. As the female pastor with a male spouse and former "pastor's wife", I have to say, being a "pastor's husband" is completely different from being a pastor's wife. A few ways:

1. At this point in time, there are no prior "pastor's husbands" and so no predecessors to live up to. There simply are no expectations for pastor's husband. You can write your own ticket.

2. Pastor's wives have an impossible to-do list, with all sorts of mutually exclusive expectations-- they must be involved in every enterprise & insure it's success, but without "taking over". They must devote hours per day to the church and listen to each and every person who "needs to talk" (even if that is to complain about her husband)-- but not neglect their kids, and oh yeah, pray 20 hours a day. Pastor's husbands, otoh, are considered with something like awe and wonder if they manage to do half of what a pastor's wife does-- "he teaches Sunday School AND he picks his kids up from school!"-- as if they were watching a fish ride a bike.

3. When you tell someone you are a pastor's wife, they will immediately ask you about your husband's church/ministry/work. When you tell someone you are a pastor's husband, they will immediately ask you about YOUR church/ministry/work.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry-- that was a bit of a tangent, but a bit of feminist ranting is perhaps to be expected right now.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent. Lamb Chopped, why don't people just refuse to accept the role of 'pastor's wife'? It's what I did. I have never had a calling to ministry and have a career. I made it quite clear to churches before Macarius was appointed that I didn't accept the 'two for one' expectation.

End of tangent.
M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I have an ethical problem, though, with claiming another religion. Will it do if I say nothing verbally but just show up in a hijab?

I am sure you could also show up with some useful and apposite sign. Quoting Jesus, perhaps. A guy notorious for loving strangers.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am sure you could also show up with some useful and apposite sign. Quoting Jesus, perhaps. A guy notorious for loving strangers.
The point though is not just an act of solidarity (although that's valuable) but rather to render the registry meaningless-- much like the (mythical, but based on a very real & effective threat/promise) Lutheran Danes wearing the star of David when under Nazi occupation.

Perhaps this is the solution to my "who/what am I?" thread. We register as Muslim, but when they ask which sect instead of sunni or shiite we write "evangelical Christian". We are evangelical Christian Muslims.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Tangent. Lamb Chopped, why don't people just refuse to accept the role of 'pastor's wife'? It's what I did. I have never had a calling to ministry and have a career. I made it quite clear to churches before Macarius was appointed that I didn't accept the 'two for one' expectation.

End of tangent.
M.

Many of us do. But it takes a damn strong-minded woman to do so. Which leads us nicely back to the question of whether Melania could handle doing that.

Some of us have no problems with sliding into the expectations, spotless house and perfect childen all included.

Some of us firmly inform the congregation that we are going to another church and they should not expect to ever see our faces.

Some of us try to pick and choose based on our own particular gifts and interests.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be missionaries in a field where there have been no pastors' wives, and we get to write our own stereotype.
[Devil] The one I'm writing includes getting a PhD, tutoring teenagers, and doing an ungodly amount of bureaucratic paperwork for people with no English [Waterworks] . God help the woman who comes after me. [Devil]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There are in fact Muslim-identifying "followers of Isa." They are Christian by any reasonable standard, but cling to the old name.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's frightening. I don't remember hearing that he'd spoken on that before.

I woke up from a nightmare last week where I thought I was in a modern-day re-telling of Jews registering in pre-war Germany. What will they do to me if I don't register? What will they do to me if I do register? Can they tell just by looking at me that I'm supposed to register?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
I think she has said things that can be criticized, echoing Trump's views on immigration, for example. But slut-shaming is different, that's an attack on her as a woman. Shameful.

Is that necessarily true? Usually, slut-shaming is an example of the old traditional double-standard, but that's not what Twilight was saying.

If Twilight holds the same opinion about attractive young men who are kept as toyboys by rich powerful old women, that would be consistent with her attacks on Melania Trump, and nothing to do with "attacking her as a woman".

Now, we have a rather larger supply of rich powerful old men than we do of equivalent women (because patriarchy), so it's easy to find examples of rich old men with trophy wives, but harder to find their female counterparts. IIRC, Madonna's had her share of young dancers, though - presumably Twilight feels the same about them as she does about Mrs. Trump?

And probably he/she thinks the same about Hilary Clinton, for being married to an abuser and cheater, but still keeping the marriage to increase her popularity?

Or is the indignation selective?

Posts: 247 | From: Brazil | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Very good. But surely slut-shaming goes with Christianity as Yorkshire pudding goes with roast beef. That doesn't mean I think all Christians do it, especially on a forum like this. See my story about prostitutes at Mass.

Oh bullshit. We had prisoners and --well, not quite prostitutes, because she didn't take money, but in every other way-- as members of our church, and nobody batted an eye. That is, until a handful of people left the faith and promptly developed goody-two-shoe-ism.

Our host congregation, too, includes the kind of people most would pillory.

I have never personally met a Christian congregation that made assholes of themselves this way. No doubt they must exist--you seem to have met them--but I see them only in news headlines, which frankly gives me some doubt.

How about my general point? That slut-shaming is closely linked with Christianity historically and culturally?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
There are in fact Muslim-identifying "followers of Isa." They are Christian by any reasonable standard, but cling to the old name.

So perhaps that's the best way to proceed should the registry be established. The point is to render it useless, to make the data meaningless.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Frankly, slut-shaming is closely linked historically and culturally with ANY form of establishment, whether of a religion, an aristocracy, or an ethnic group. It is a form of (nasty) social control. If the powers-that-be in that particular culture claim the Christian label, they will of course end up by associating Christianity with slut-shaming in the popular mind. The parallel is true in Islamic countries. The particular form of slut-shaming may take on racial overtones (love across racial lines) or ethnic ones (inter-caste marriage or romance). It's a freaking HUMAN phenomenon not linked to a single religion or other cultural group.

Most unfortunately, there is also a species-wide tendency to focus the blame for it on any religion or group one does not belong to.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Clever dodge.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Very good. But surely slut-shaming goes with Christianity as Yorkshire pudding goes with roast beef.

Yep. Hard to argue with this. It is the love child of Christian attitudes about sex, and hatred for women. Christianity created it. Christianity has to answer for it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone already mentioned something about alabaster jars. Christ didn't shame her, whatever the church, mosque, synagogue, bridge club did, and does, subsequently.

Mind, he did want change for her. Maybe that bugs some of us, these days. Ooooh, the temerity of the man.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Clever dodge.

Should I thank you, or should I demand that you produce a real argument against what I said?

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
I think she has said things that can be criticized, echoing Trump's views on immigration, for example. But slut-shaming is different, that's an attack on her as a woman. Shameful.

Is that necessarily true? Usually, slut-shaming is an example of the old traditional double-standard, but that's not what Twilight was saying.

If Twilight holds the same opinion about attractive young men who are kept as toyboys by rich powerful old women, that would be consistent with her attacks on Melania Trump, and nothing to do with "attacking her as a woman".

Now, we have a rather larger supply of rich powerful old men than we do of equivalent women (because patriarchy), so it's easy to find examples of rich old men with trophy wives, but harder to find their female counterparts. IIRC, Madonna's had her share of young dancers, though - presumably Twilight feels the same about them as she does about Mrs. Trump?

And probably he/she thinks the same about Hilary Clinton, for being married to an abuser and cheater, but still keeping the marriage to increase her popularity?

Or is the indignation selective?

Somewhere along the line, for the purposes of their rants, someone decided that I thought Melania Trump should leave her husband. I do not. I think that misconception came along when someone said Melania had no choice but to stay with Donald and I doubted that, that was true. Rich, beautiful women usually have many choices.

I do think she's a bit of a slut based on her past career choices. I would feel the same no matter who she was married to and contrary to Lamb Chopped's long post I don't think it matters at all whether or not she chose her position as First Lady. Still a slut. She may be a very nice person in other ways, a kind soul with a great sense of humor and a special place in Heaven, who knows? But in that one aspect I think she fits the definition. To me, selling your body, for sex or photographs equals slut. YMMV

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Okay, fine. So according to your definition she is a slut. Now what do you do with that information? That's where the rubber meets the road.

You have used it to blast her on the Internet precisely because you believe a slut ought not occupy the position of president's spouse.

We have challenged you by asking precisely what you expect her to do about it.

You have come up with no answer (bar the theoretical one of "leave her husband," which you have just disavowed).

How precisely do you expect Melania Trump to avoid your scathing criticism? What actions must she take?

Or is the answer "none are possible," in which case you are shooting helpless fish in a barrel?

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight wrote:

quote:
To me, selling your body, for sex or photographs equals slut.
Twilight, I know that you claim to be even-handed in your criticism of both genders for selling their physical attributes(eg. Chippendales dancers as well as Playboy centrefolds), and I can give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

But if that is true, I would politely advise you against using the word "slut" to describe people in those occupations. In my experience, that word is closely linked to condemnation of supposedly immoral WOMEN.

So using that word is pretty much asking to be misunderstood.

[ 11. November 2016, 19:25: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I expect the answer is 'none is possible.' Women always get the blame; it is her fault, solely. He doesn't believe what I think, that she had no choice. Most prostitutes have no choice, either. They're not streetwalking as a career choice, or from lust. They choose between prostitution, or starvation.

In any case, the discussion is pointless -- as Lamb points out, there's nothing Melania or we can do about any of it. At this moment she, like we, are victims of events. I anxiously await her initiative on cyberbullying.

Here's different aftermath: the effect on the evangelical movement. They are accused of hypocrisy; it's hard to see how for some church leaders it's not true.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not an entirely frivolous question, but supposing Mr. Catgrabber is prevented from being sworn in as President by (say) illness, imprisonment, natural death, assassination, or a final descent into complete insanity, who would fill the Orange-shaped hole?

Would you all have to go through the whole ghastly process again?

Would Mrs. Clinton take over, as being second in line with the votes?

Would Mr. Obama have to stay in office pro tem ?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect Pence might become president. I'm not sure whether he'd pick a new VP, or whether Paul Ryan (Speaker of the House) would move up. The Speaker is next in the line of succession, after the VP.

However, I'd be thrilled if Hillary became president.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Twilight wrote:

quote:
To me, selling your body, for sex or photographs equals slut.
Twilight, I know that you claim to be even-handed in your criticism of both genders for selling their physical attributes(eg. Chippendales dancers as well as Playboy centrefolds), and I can give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

But if that is true, I would politely advise you against using the word "slut" to describe people in those occupations. In my experience, that word is closely linked to condemnation of supposedly immoral WOMEN.

So using that word is pretty much asking to be misunderstood.

I agree with you, Stetson. I don't think I've ever used it until this thread. It all started with me lamenting the day Trump and wife took residence and I called her the First Bimbo. (To me bimbo is not very bad and only means a mental lightweight, my friends and I used to use the word on ourselves all the time.) Marvin complained about "bimbo," so I said, facetiously, well, First Slut then. First Lady who has a past of selling her body didn't have the same ring.

No, there's nothing she can do about it now. (tm Willie Nelson) That's one reason pretty young women are often warned by friends and family not to pose nude for magazines, no matter how much money they offer, because once you do, it's out there and you can't take those pictures back when you get older and want a more dignified image. Likewise we tell them not to take the easy road to comfort by letting rich men fund them in return for sex.

I cannot agree that she had no choice. She lived a comfortable life in her home country with both parents working, and she was a freshman in college when she chose to drop out. Clearly she had the choice of staying in school until she graduated, afterwards getting a good job which her degree would probably have assured her, and then supporting herself -- just like women around the world do. Why should she have as much respect as those other young women? If it's all the same, why shouldn't we tell our teenage daughters to skip college and find a rich sugar daddy to support them? Why not suggest she send some pictures to Playboy and hope for a big check in return for a centerfold?

Christians have a history of disapproving of prostitution because Jesus disapproved of it. He forgave prostitutes and told them to go and sin no more. He didn't say there was nothing to forgive. Pretending that Jesus didn't care about this, for the sake of a 2016 social taboo against "slut-shaming" doesn't make it so. He seemed to think none of us should "fornicate," outside marriage.

Yes, this disapproval is a social control, but not a "nasty," one. By encouraging people to have sex only inside marriage we make it far more likely that the children who result from that sex will have a safe, stable home life. We also keep the sex act more meaningful and more bonding within the marriage.

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That photo of Trump leaning over his wife in the voting booth does not represent their marriage.

How do you know?

quote:
The obvious thing is that he is helping her figure out the format and wording...
Why is it "the obvious thing"? It strikes me that "the obvious thing" is that the photographer happened to catch the one fraction of a second when he was looking that way; the next most obvious thing is that he's having a sneaky peek at her vote. "Helping her figure out" anything is not only the least "obvious thing", it's so far from "the obvious thing" that it's invisibly, vaguely, obscurely inconspicuously doubtful.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

Here's different aftermath: the effect on the evangelical movement. They are accused of hypocrisy; it's hard to see how for some church leaders it's not true.

See my thread "who/what I am now?". The top story in today's
Christianity Today (the most influential evangelical magazine, although their late-in-the-game but in-the-game-nonetheless denouncement of Trump as "impossible" for a Christian to vote for didn't seem to have much effect) is whether or not evangelicals will/ should/ need to split. There is such a deep divide on this-- breaking primarily, but sadly not surprisingly, along both racial and generational lines-- it's hard to even see us as being in the same tent anymore.

The bright side I think is this crystallization of left wing evangelicalism. For most of my life I've felt very much alone in this. I can remember of course election cycles when I was celebrating a Dem win and cycles when I was mourning a tragic loss, but always I felt alone. A few lone leaders of the lefty movement but always marginazlied. That has shifted over the last few years, but I hadn't realized quite how much until Wed. of this week. I saw my facebook feed full with messages-- beautiful, heartbreaking messages from members of my own evangelical church-- mourning the loss and vowing to stand with our African American, Hispanic, GLBTQ, and Muslim neighbors. Forming action plans. For the first time, I feel a part of a community, and not just on the Ship (altho that's pretty awesome too. But it's always nice to have someone to go out for a beer with who's feeling what you're feeling-- as I did yesterday).

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
There is such a deep divide on this-- breaking primarily, but sadly not surprisingly, along both racial and generational lines-- it's hard to even see us as being in the same tent anymore.

But if one simply accepts this, it seems to me it's handing Trump and his ilk more ammunition for their tactic of division, and retreating still further into an echo chamber.

We can disagree about lots of things, but it seems so important to me to keep conversations going across seemingly unbridgeable divides. I think this is the real, and really countrer-cultural, challenge.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The bright side I think is this crystallization of left wing evangelicalism. For most of my life I've felt very much alone in this. I can remember of course election cycles when I was celebrating a Dem win and cycles when I was mourning a tragic loss, but always I felt alone. A few lone leaders of the lefty movement but always marginazlied. That has shifted over the last few years, but I hadn't realized quite how much until Wed. of this week. I saw my facebook feed full with messages-- beautiful, heartbreaking messages from members of my own evangelical church-- mourning the loss and vowing to stand with our African American, Hispanic, GLBTQ, and Muslim neighbors. Forming action plans. For the first time, I feel a part of a community, and not just on the Ship (altho that's pretty awesome too. But it's always nice to have someone to go out for a beer with who's feeling what you're feeling-- as I did yesterday).

From the other side of the pond ...

cliffdweller, I think it's been much harder for you than for me, and for others of my friends. There isn't this direct political connection in the UK, though if it begins to harden over here, I'll ditch the evangelical identification on the grounds that the word has collected too much baggage. (I think that is what Tony Campolo has felt compelled to do).

It's a great shame, but maybe some kind of realignment is necessary now?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

From the other side of the pond ...

cliffdweller, I think it's been much harder for you than for me, and for others of my friends. There isn't this direct political connection in the UK, though if it begins to harden over here, I'll ditch the evangelical identification on the grounds that the word has collected too much baggage. (I think that is what Tony Campolo has felt compelled to do).

It's a great shame, but maybe some kind of realignment is necessary now?

Yes. And perhaps that will help us feel less alone, when we stop trying to pretend we are all one big happy family.

I just know that this week has been heartbreaking, disappointing, and sorrowful... and yet I've never felt so connected to my faith community. Whatever we end up calling ourselves.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
There is such a deep divide on this-- breaking primarily, but sadly not surprisingly, along both racial and generational lines-- it's hard to even see us as being in the same tent anymore.

But if one simply accepts this, it seems to me it's handing Trump and his ilk more ammunition for their tactic of division, and retreating still further into an echo chamber.

We can disagree about lots of things, but it seems so important to me to keep conversations going across seemingly unbridgeable divides. I think this is the real, and really countrer-cultural, challenge.

Well, that's a good point, and well worth considering. Perhaps later, when the wound is less raw.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliffdweller, (I'm on my phone so cutting and pasting is too hard), your post about the crystallization of lefty evangelicalism was very moving. I wish it were easier for lefty Orthodox to raise their heads above the parapet without fear of decapitation. I wonder how, if at all, the next four years will affect this.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I will not quit my church now, because the plan is for us to move in a few years anyway. But when we do move, I'm going to be ISO one of those nice lefty evangelical churches. I don't feel I have much in common with people who can excuse crotch groping.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly - Hester Prynne? (The Scarlet Letter).

... You do realize that this book was written by a Christian man, as a protest against hypocritical attitudes within Christianity, and was widely celebrated within Christianity. Hester was the hero of the story.

If you think of the primordial soup of Middle Eastern/ Medditerranian cultures as what Christianity emerged from, then you'll see that all of them were slut- shaming in one way or another. People in power have generally kept them in place, there has always been a majority of people who just went along, there has always been people who ( in measures large and small) have spoken against it. Nathaniel Hawethorn was one of them.

[ 11. November 2016, 23:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:
quote:
That photo of Trump leaning over his wife in the voting booth does not represent their marriage.

How do you know?

quote:
The obvious thing is that he is helping her figure out the format and wording...
Why is it "the obvious thing"? It strikes me that "the obvious thing" is that the photographer happened to catch the one fraction of a second when he was looking that way; the next most obvious thing is that he's having a sneaky peek at her vote. "Helping her figure out" anything is not only the least "obvious thing", it's so far from "the obvious thing" that it's invisibly, vaguely, obscurely inconspicuously doubtful.

First of all, to add to your point, I don't know how it goes in the UK, but voting etiquette here says leaning over someone to look at their ballot is a big no-no. If she was having trouble, he should have left it to the poll staff. I just have a thing about that. At best, it's plain bad manners, IMO.

Second, his posture is one thing, but there was something about the way the young woman was hunching her shoulders-- like she didn't like him looking over-- that made me go all mother bear. I'm inclined to keep my mouth off her past and keep her in my prayers.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Ultra confused] )

WHat about pastors' husbands? (in whichever of the two ways a man could be the husband of a pastor.)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a question from a Canadian:

What is different about voter registration in the United States than in Canada? Here in Canada, I registered as a voter on voting day at my first election by bringing 2 pieces of ID. Even if I didn't have any ID, as long as I had someone with 2 pieces of ID to vouch for me, I could be registered. It was pretty simple and straight forward.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:

WHat about pastors' husbands? (in whichever of the two ways a man could be the husband of a pastor.) [/QB]
The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod does not ordain women, something a lot more sexist than condemning Melania Trump for selling herself. It is also homophobic.

[ 12. November 2016, 00:55: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In the Orthodox Church the priest's wife has a title (slavonic: Matushka; arabic: Khouria; Greek: Presvytera) and is considered an unofficial spiritual leader in the parish. How this plays out varies from country to country and parish to parish.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
WHat about pastors' husbands? (in whichever of the two ways a man could be the husband of a pastor.)

John

Mileage will vary, but in cases I have seen where there has been a female pastor with a husband, the church has accepted that "he should have his own career" and not seen him as a freebie extra employee. In those circles (admittedly a small sample compared with the world) it appears to be only pastor's wives who ought to be defined by the pastoral calling of their spouse.
Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod does not ordain women, something a lot more sexist than condemning Melania Trump for selling herself. It is also homophobic.

Don't we have a whole thread in Dead Horses for bashing my church body? Sheesh.

If anybody wants to PM me about the whys and wherefores of our non-ordination of women or our stance on homosexuality, you are welcome to. I'm not derailing this thread any further here.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Just a question from a Canadian:

What is different about voter registration in the United States than in Canada? Here in Canada, I registered as a voter on voting day at my first election by bringing 2 pieces of ID. Even if I didn't have any ID, as long as I had someone with 2 pieces of ID to vouch for me, I could be registered. It was pretty simple and straight forward.

It varies by state, so you have roughly 50 variants. By and large, you have to register some period of time before the actual election day -- a month, a week, whatever. You do have to prove that you live in the jurisdiction. On election day in my state, when you go to your polling place, they have a large printout of all the voters in the district. You march up, announce your name, and they find you on the gigantic list. Usually you have to answer a simple question, like "and what is your street address?" which if you rattle off easily gets you right on in.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
What about pastors' husbands? (in whichever of the two ways a man could be the husband of a pastor.)

John

See my post following closely after Lamb's. In our experience, the two are not at all comparable at this point in time. In a few decades though, when there's 3 or 4 generations of "pastor's husbands" for the newbie to live up to, yeah, they'll probably be in the same boat.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I'm not sure what I think of this, but it's probably worth considering.)

In December, the US Electoral College meets to solidify which candidate is president. While electors are assigned to vote a certain way, they can do otherwise. It's been done many times.

So there's a Change (dot org) petition (gone viral) to ask the electors to spare us Trump and cast their votes for Hillary. (Remember: she did win the popular vote.)

As of now, the petition has 3,224,732 supporters!

I know we can't put direct links to petitions in our posts; but the very first sentence of this "People" article has a link to it.

Very much FWIW and YMMV.

NOTE: This petition is for Americans ONLY, in keeping with our laws.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:

I don't think any of us are in a position to judge why Hillary remains married to Bill. Perhaps she just has old-fashioned views about what a marriage vow means.

And the same goes for Melania Trump. Asking why she married him in the first place is one thing, but asking why she remains married to him is quite another thing. (And yes, this is Trump's third marriage. It's Melania's only marriage, and perhaps she takes her vows a little more seriously than her husband did.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK - what would happen if they did, and she got it?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016