homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't miss this!!!

"Saturday Night Live" did something truly beautiful tonight. An absolutely perfect tribute to Hillary, to hope, and to someone who died this week.(YouTube) It is one of the best things I've ever seen, anywhere.

The host was comedian David Chappelle, who did a mostly-serious opening monologue about the election. It's longer than usual. There's a link in the sidebar of the page above.

I'm only about 20 min. into the show, and the next sketch is election-related, too. Maybe they all will be.

But please, please watch that first video. It's beautiful.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I see my self as encouraging every woman to do the best she can to support other women wherever she is, without requiring her to be where I am at. Meeting people where they are rather than where you want them to be. Bridge building. Network building. Finding common ground and going from there.

A year ago, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. Now I'm not certain. I think both the Brexit vote and the Trump election have demonstrated that bridge building and finding common ground is currently failing on an epic scale. That we are in a society where demagoguery wins in the face of gentle reason. And that scares me silly. I don't know what the answer to it is, but it seems clear to me at the moment that rationalising, bridge building and networking with a large number of people simply doesn't work.

[ 13. November 2016, 07:24: Message edited by: MarsmanTJ ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was outstanding. Kate McKinnon is a real trooper; you could tell she was fighting back tears. And not a bad voice at all.

Excellent choice for a cold open. It kind of reminded me of the opening for the 2001 Independant Spirit awards, which was Elvis Costello quietly stepping to the mic with an acoustic guitar and, without fanfare, beginning "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?"

Remembering that-- and the crowd response-- I kind of wished team SNL had mic'ed the audience-- I'm sure people were singing along.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarsmanTJ:
quote:
I see my self as encouraging every woman to do the best she can to support other women wherever she is, without requiring her to be where I am at. Meeting people where they are rather than where you want them to be. Bridge building. Network building. Finding common ground and going from there.

A year ago, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. Now I'm not certain. I think both the Brexit vote and the Trump election have demonstrated that bridge building and finding common ground is currently failing on an epic scale. That we are in a society where demagoguery wins in the face of gentle reason. And that scares me silly. I don't know what the answer to it is, but it seems clear to me at the moment that rationalising, bridge building and networking with a large number of people simply doesn't work.
It works at a glacial pace, is the problem. And in small batches. So, that approach is frustrating to people who are wanting quick and wide sweeping.

I said in a women's study class once that both approaches really need to be happening simultaneously-- the uncompromising juggernaut of change and the close up, patient growing. Of course people gifted with juggernaut skills are going to be called the heroes, but that's not looking at the big picture, IMO. ( The teacher agreed with me, BTW-- even cited a couple suffragettes to back it up.)

One of the gifts God has kind of thrust on me, via my fantastic family dynamics, is the gift of being able to shut up, listen, and consider where someone is coming from. That giftbis important. I am not Gloria Steinham. I don't have to be Gloria Steinham. Fuck, I think even Gloria Steinham would tell me that I don't have to be Gloria Steinham. And I can be disappointed at a woman capitalizing on her own objectification without calling anyone a slut, and I can support another woman's attempts to promote the dignity of other women without asking her to answer for her entire church body.

[ 13. November 2016, 07:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this BBC Radio 4 programme may provide some insights into the hearts and minds of some Americans just after the election:

'Don't Log Off, Mr President' (30 mins; Podcast available):
quote:
Alan Dein talks to his Facebook friends across America about the election of Donald Trump. Just hours after the result, Trump and Clinton supporters alike talk passionately about why they voted the way they did - and share their hopes and fears about the future of the United States. Working through the night, Alan tries to understand what the election has revealed about modern America - from California to Tennessee.
I found this very moving and helpful.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Don't miss this!!!

"Saturday Night Live" did something truly beautiful tonight. An absolutely perfect tribute to Hillary, to hope, and to someone who died this week.(YouTube) It is one of the best things I've ever seen, anywhere.

But please, please watch that first video. It's beautiful.

It's my Sunday morning ritual to watch the SNL clips and I wondered what they could possibly find funny in all this. I'm so glad they didn't try, but instead did that beautiful tribute to Leonard Cohen and Hillary's run for president. Kate McKinnon is a treasure.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
But surely slut-shaming goes with Christianity as Yorkshire pudding goes with roast beef. That doesn't mean I think all Christians do it, especially on a forum like this. See my story about prostitutes at Mass.

I have plenty of great anecdotes about human beings. Shall we swap a few?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
But surely slut-shaming goes with Christianity as Yorkshire pudding goes with roast beef. That doesn't mean I think all Christians do it, especially on a forum like this. See my story about prostitutes at Mass.

I have plenty of great anecdotes about human beings. Shall we swap a few?
Well, if you really want to miss my point, sure.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to invite people to crash here at my house, when the March on Washington takes place on Jan. 21. But I learn that very many cities (CHicago, Boston) are doing similar marches that weekend. So maybe you don't have to travel, you can march near your home!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe if you had some evidence I wouldn't miss your point.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of the Japanese "comfort women," who had been forced into prostitution with the military, committed suicide afterward because they could not live with the shame they felt. They didn't learn to feel that shame from Christians.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Maybe if you had some evidence I wouldn't miss your point.
It would be a heck of a derail. I'm surprised that anyone would dispute that misogyny has been a core theme in Christianity. I will think about a new thread.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

It's a core theme of humanity. Yorkshire pudding goes with beef but not sushi or fruit salad. Misogyny goes with Christianity, but also Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, the Labour party, video gaming and fashion.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
It's a core theme of humanity. Yorkshire pudding goes with beef but not sushi or fruit salad. Misogyny goes with Christianity, but also Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, the Labour party, video gaming and fashion.

I don't see how that contradicts what I am saying. But this is surely well o/t.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

We used to have Yorkshire pudding with raspberry vinegar as a starter, allegedly to fill you up.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you are both wrong. Patriarchy was the old social model, within which you could find both kindness and misogyny, sometimes mixed up. Patriarchy was an unfair social model, since the stereotypes it implied simply didn't recognise human diversity, in terms of character, gifts and talents.

But some people just don't want to let go. Included in 'some people' are social conservatives who are not misogynists, and some misogynists who are just that.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you are a wired differently, so be it, but I'd like to believe I am wired the way I am for a reason.

I'm sure you are! And so am I.

I don't like having to compromise. I know a certain amount of compromise is necessary, given the all too apparent reality of how many different views people have in this country. But I keep thinking about how Obama spent so much of his first term trying to compromise with Republicans in Congress who refused to budge an inch. I thought then, and I think now, that it was a huge mistake for him to spend more than a few months trying to compromise with them. After 3-6 months of not getting anywhere, he should have said "fuck it" and shoved the Democratic legislative plan down their throats while the Democrats held both houses of Congress and that was still possible. He gave and gave and gave and got nothing in return.

And while compromise is necessary and sometimes it's the only kind thing to do, sometimes it's simply a betrayal of the things I believe in and of the people who are going to be hurt by compromise.

Trump's planning to deport 2-3 million people, according to excerpts from his 60 Minutes interview already released. People at my church have worked very hard at settling some gay and lesbian refugees from Uganda, people who are legally in the US because their lives were in danger in Uganda because of their sexual orientation. They are now trying to change their African accents to African American accents so they will sound like they were born here, because they are terrified of what will happen next.

None of this puts me in a compromising frame of mind.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The appointmen of Priebus as Chief of Staff wasn't much of a surprise, might even be seen as quite smart, but the appointment of 'Breitbart' Bannon as Chief Strategist seems to me to have 'look out!' written all over it. Anyone who thinks that campaign rhetoric was just that may be in for a shock.

Rampant Rudi as Attorney General now looks very much on the cards.

Think I'm with RuthW. Compromise doesn't look as though it's going to cut it. Liberal attitudes and reforms are in the cross hairs. And Gingrich spoke favourably during the campaign about the need for some latter day version of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee. The 'hidden enemy' may also be in the cross hairs.

I really hope I'm wrong.

[ 14. November 2016, 03:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen Bannon as W.H. strategist? (WaPo link) Can we stop pretending now (he said to America as a whole) that this is going to be business as usual?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Stephen Bannon as W.H. strategist? (WaPo link) Can we stop pretending now (he said to America as a whole) that this is going to be business as usual?

Yes, we must, Mouse. It's Dr Goebbels all over again. How to fight the disinformation in our days, though? It's happening everywhere: Turkey, Hungary, UK, US, Russia... look at what's left of the Israeli left as well. I'm the son of communist immigrants, Jewish enough to be rounded up by the morons, gay, and a foreigner myself, technically and yes, Latino, though not Mexican or in the US.

I am not usually into competitive victimhood but I'm getting scared, and I'm getting scared of people who keep telling me that I should not get scared, really, it's just a working class political convulsion. Steven Bannon has been spouting poison for decades now. The Le Pen daughter has just accepted his invite to become the French voice of his trolling hub... This is a bit more than mere protest voting across the globe.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has America "fallen"?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Godwin's Law looms, almost inevitability, over the aftermath discussions! But who can blame us? 'Breibart' Brannon's appointment in that role is an act of aggression.

I wonder what effect it might have on some fairly jittery stock markets? Never mind the already rattled Washington circles.

I suppose the 'madman' theory may be in play again. But I doubt it. This looks for real. As mousethief says.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Godwin's Law looms, almost inevitability, over the aftermath discussions! But who can blame us? 'Breibart' Brannon's appointment in that role is an act of aggression.

I wonder what effect it might have on some fairly jittery stock markets? Never mind the already rattled Washington circles.

I suppose the 'madman' theory may be in play again. But I doubt it. This looks for real. As mousethief says.

Screw Godwin, when it walks like a Fascist, quacks like a Fascist, lies, publishes and trolls like a fascist, by G-d, it is a fascist.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
np--

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Um...but is Trump emotionally/mentally stable?

The general description is that he is personality disordered. Narcissist who is the only person who matters, everyone else is an object to be manipulated or used. People are disposable like tissues or plastic bags.
Thanks for the info. [Smile]

Actually, I'm hoping SPK will respond because s/he seems very much in favor of Trump, and I wondered if SPK perceived the imbalance that many of the rest of us see.

If someone doesn't perceive the imbalance, or thinks it's more or less election performance art (something I heard on the radio), then supporting Trump is a little more understandable.

FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ruth--

Re Obama and not compromising:

What, please, do you think he could have done differently? He has only so much direct, executive power. And IIRC the Democrats weren't always happy with him, so he didn't have partnership there, either.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

The view from 'Airstrip One' will not be of much comfort to you, Golden Key.

Seriously, we're not yet at the formation of Neofascist International Inc. but I can well understand the nervousness.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ruth--

Re Obama and not compromising:

What, please, do you think he could have done differently? He has only so much direct, executive power. And IIRC the Democrats weren't always happy with him, so he didn't have partnership there, either.

I was referring to the first half of his first term, particularly his efforts to get Republicans on board to vote for the Affordable Care Act. He put forward a proposal based on ideas from the conservative Heritage Foundation, single-payer healthcare was never really even on the table, the bipartisan Senate Finance Committee went round and round and round figuring the damn bill out, and in the end not one single Republican voted for it, including the Republicans who had helped write it in the Senate Finance Committee. He started with a willingness to compromise without recognizing that he was dealing with people who had no intention of working with him, and thus gave up valuable ground.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

quote:

???

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ruth--

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
He started with a willingness to compromise without recognizing that he was dealing with people who had no intention of working with him, and thus gave up valuable ground.

Hmmmm...I would've thought that attempting compromise makes sense, if no one will work with you.

One of the criticisms of Pres. Jimmy Carter was that he didn't compromise, didn't build up the relationships that would help him develop compromises. He said later that he'd taken seriously the "no more gov't as usual!" message from voters, and tried to do things differently. IIRC, he recognized that as a mistake.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barnabas--

quote:

???
Airstrip One is the name of the UK in 1984. Its name presumably indicates its meagre significance in relation to the rest of Oceania(aka the American Empire).

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Ruth--

quote:
He started with a willingness to compromise without recognizing that he was dealing with people who had no intention of working with him, and thus gave up valuable ground.

Hmmmm...I would've thought that attempting compromise makes sense, if no one will work with you.
You can't compromise with someone who won't compromise in return.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Stetson--

Ah, thanks! For a different take on that kind of thing, read Daphne du Maurier's "Rule, Britannia".

I suspect you'll like it.
[Snigger]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Thanks Stetson. Despite confident diplomatic noises in the UK re the Trump Presidency I think 'Airstrip One' might turn out to be more realistic. A different kind of 'special relationship', based on 'we'll get on fine provided you agree wholeheartedly with all our new moves'.

[ 14. November 2016, 06:29: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Stetson--

Ah, thanks! For a different take on that kind of thing, read Daphne du Maurier's "Rule, Britannia".

I suspect you'll like it.
[Snigger]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(This could really go on any of the election threads, but figured this is probably the best.)

Re "what now", coping, understanding the other side (whichever it is), etc.:

Yes! magazine has several relevant articles.

From their "About" section:

quote:
YES! Magazine reframes the biggest problems of our time in terms of their solutions. Online and in print, we outline a path forward with in-depth analysis, tools for citizen engagement, and stories about real people working for a better world.

Powerful Ideas, Practical Actions

Today’s world is not the one we want—climate change, financial collapse, poverty, and war leave many feeling overwhelmed and hopeless.

YES! Magazine empowers people with the vision and tools to create a healthy planet and vibrant communities. We do this by:

--Reframing issues and outlining a path forward;
--Giving a voice to the people who are making change;
--Offering resources to use and pass along.

YES! Magazine is printed on 100% post-consumer waste, chlorine-free paper. We reach more than 150,000 readers quarterly. More than 140,000 people visit our website each month, where we post new stories every day.

IME, it's a really good magazine--just not terribly well known. Worth a read.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a petition circulating to abolish the electoral college, so that the candidate with the most votes can be the winner. I imagine there would be massive opposition to the idea now, and any attempt by the electoral college to change the result now would likely lead to civil war of the most uncivil kind. At least there are a few people for whom hope didn't die last week.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really don't think that petition will come to anything. If you have objections to the methodology of an election, they need to clearly articulated before the result is announced.

Contesting the electoral college system now is nothing more than l'esprit d'escalier.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Really don't think that petition will come to anything. If you have objections to the methodology of an election, they need to clearly articulated before the result is announced.

Contesting the electoral college system now is nothing more than l'esprit d'escalier.

To be fair, their website does say, "We need to get this done so that the winner of the 2020 election actually reflects the will of the people", so I think they understand that the current election is a lost cause.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too believe that nothing can be done about the Electoral College. Recall that a constitutional change calls for passage by both houses of Congress, and it is Democratic candidates who always win the popular vote. Can we imagine Republican candidates giving up their toehold? Nah.

And then two-thirds of the states must ratify the change. The EC weights in favor of smaller states. Can you envision Rhode Island, or Wyoming, voting to strip themselves of their slice of power? Impossible.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
To be fair, their website does say, "We need to get this done so that the winner of the 2020 election actually reflects the will of the people", so I think they understand that the current election is a lost cause.

Serves me right for not reading the link. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Are we going to follow the trump presidency on this thread or should there be a new one?

Anyway. Yesterday, I heard on BBC World news that many experts believe Trump's win owes a lot to right wing online "news" sites, like Breitbart. I had never heard of it, but I gather it's quite popular with white nationalists. Today, I read that Trump has given Steve Bannon, who once headed Breitbart, a job as Chief Strategist. This is a terrible sign. Just when I was hoping Trump only used those types to get elected and would distance himself from them now.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump likes people who like Trump. That is all you need to understand.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
np--

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Um...but is Trump emotionally/mentally stable?

The general description is that he is personality disordered. Narcissist who is the only person who matters, everyone else is an object to be manipulated or used. People are disposable like tissues or plastic bags.
Thanks for the info. [Smile]

Actually, I'm hoping SPK will respond because s/he seems very much in favor of Trump, and I wondered if SPK perceived the imbalance that many of the rest of us see.

If someone doesn't perceive the imbalance, or thinks it's more or less election performance art (something I heard on the radio), then supporting Trump is a little more understandable.

FWIW.

Whoever said I was in favour of Trump?!?
[Mad]

I am a Canadian New Democrat, I am so far to the left that I am on another planet.

Yes, the man is imbalanced. I would not say in a clinical sense, but he clearly has issues of a literary hubris nature. His character is deeply flawed, to the point where I would say he has a spot on his soul. But what man's soul is pure when your career was in New York real estate development?

But I won't demonize him to death when his compromise could save millions of people's medical bills.

Besides, I refuse to feed the troll. He is a wind-up merchant and a bullshitter. Politics abounds with these people. But it was said to me that in Canada, the Maritimes expected their politicians to be over-the-top and not completely serious in their promises, while central and western Canadians take every word a politician says literally as either a certain promise or an outright lie.

A little perspective goes a long way.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Are we going to follow the trump presidency on this thread or should there be a new one?

My gut feel is that someone may want to start a long running Hell thread (a kind of "Fred-Phelps-type" watch), but if anyone wants to start a Trump Presidency thread in Purgatory, rather than just continue to rap here, then Inauguration Day might be a good time.

We'd then close this one. But as always, you're all free to start any thread on anything, provided it doesn't lead to duplicate discussions.

How does that sound?

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPK wrote:

quote:
Whoever said I was in favour of Trump?!?
[Mad]

Well, you did say earlier something like "One of the attractions that Trump has for me is...". Someone who doesn't know you might be liable to misunderstand that.

Overall, though, I'm inclined to agree with you. As I said, I think the main problem with Trump will turn out to be simply that he is a Republican, and a particularly dupable one at that, vulnerable to the manipulations of his wilier cohorts in the congress and party establishment. Basically, a Ronald Reagan for the generation raised on shock-radio, instead of the generation raised on Leave It To Beaver.

And, since we've gotten onto the subject of dark souls, anyone care to guess who the most high-profile Canadian cheerleader for the Trump-backed Keystone pipeline has been? Yep, it's Justin Trudeau, positioned well to the right of Hollywood liberals and even US Democrats on pipeline issues. I'm sure he still prefers the photo-ops with Barack, but when it comes to business, well, he knows who's buttering his bread.

[ 14. November 2016, 22:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

It's all fine with me, I just didn't want to be bringing new stuff to this thread if it was over. Thanks, Barnabas.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Trump calls Alex Jones again, vows to re-appear on show

Pond clarification...

This would be the equivalent of Teresa May calling up David Icke to thank him for his support and offering to be interviewed on the show(again).

As I said above, I think Trump will soon-enough end up as just a clueless dupe of the Republican establishment. But still, those guys must be having a bit of a time figuring out just how they're gonna bring the Donald over to the side of(relative) sanity.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

quote:
I think you are both wrong. Patriarchy was the old social model, within which you could find both kindness and misogyny, sometimes mixed up. Patriarchy was an unfair social model, since the stereotypes it implied simply didn't recognise human diversity, in terms
of character, gifts and talents.

(Emphasis mine.)

"Was"? "Implied"? Seriously???
[Mad]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Ruth--

quote:

You can't compromise with someone who won't compromise in return.
It depends if you are talking about compromising with politicians and their policies or compromising with the otherwise conservative Catholic woman down the street who voted blue and has to teach her three boys values to counteract every thing they have heard for the last five months.

While this has drifted away from the comments I made about using misogynistic language to punish women in their husband's stead, I thought I was making it clear I was talking about how we treat individuals with whom we already know we have the common ground of resisting Trump.

I can't believe it would help anything to tell the woman above that she is letting down the team by staying in a sexist institution, or that if she had a problem with the Phrase "First Slut" she isn't really committed. We've had almost a year of every kind of hateful demeaning language thrown at women you can think of; whatever way I am going to fight, it will be in a way that respects the women I am fighting with. They have had enough.

One of the things that felt good to be a follower of Hillary is that women of all kinds of backgrounds seemed united under her banner, or at least contra-Trump, at least in the very diverse area in which I live. The natural thing to me would be to try to think of ways to keep that going. To build on what united us in the first place. To actually find out what that was.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I can't believe it would help anything to tell the woman above that she is letting down the team by staying in a sexist institution, or that if she had a problem with the Phrase "First Slut" she isn't really committed. We've had almost a year of every kind of hateful demeaning language thrown at women you can think of; whatever way I am going to fight, it will be in a way that respects the women I am fighting with. They have had enough.

This would be wonderful. To take my own case, I've had I don't know how many years of having crap thrown at me from both sides. The Ship used to be a place where I could catch a breath once in a while, but for some time the pressure has been on to conform entirely to one or the other side. I suspect this is why many of our beloved former Shipmates have gone MIA.

You just get tired. Way, way tired.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016