homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » So, Freedom dies a little more today

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: So, Freedom dies a little more today
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Snooper's Charter is official.
I don't think it is simple paranoia to be concerned about this level of surveillance. Given that major terrorist acts have been missed, not because of lack of information, but not properly using information already collected; the massive amounts of info to be stored and processed this seems a poor tool for prevention but a fantastic tool for persecution.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tor browser bundle is the simplest way to avoid being spied on. Unpack in some directory, and run. No installation even required. Orbot + Orweb for Android phones does the same thing. Given how easy they are to use, the really bad people will not be monitored. They could try block entry and exit nodes to the Tor network, but it is far too easy to set one up.

[Edited to fix error in your link]

[ 27. November 2016, 13:51: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been in two minds over surveillance.
Without it there would doubtless be more crime, successful terror attacks and miscarriages of justice.

Problem is, the feeling of being watched and monitored in all we do, (or even say in some cases), isn't a good one. Yet oddly, even in the light of this, we've galloped into an age whereby public soul bearing and flaunting ourselves on the very technology in front of me is an ever-increasing popularity.

Yes, the paranoia tends to grip us when we think about modern day surveillance being used by oppressive regimes. But I wonder if such concern might be misplaced. Historically, totalitarian regimes and dictators had done a pretty effective job at controlling and manipulating various unfortunate populations long before these present day systems were even dreamt of.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry this happened.

FWIW:

--DuckDuckGo is a good "we don't track you!" search engine.

--The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has free privacy software (see the various "Projects" in the right-hand navbar) and articles on surveillance.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the way it is. You can hardly walk down a street or go into a shop, office or public building these days without being on CCTV. Anything you do online is already recorded somewhere, any organization you've had contact with will already have you on a database, any non-cash payment you make is fully traceable, any shop loyalty card will be linked to a complete list of all the things you've bought at that place, and phone companies already keep records and calls have been monitored in various situations anyway. Whether you like it or not, they've already been able to assemble a quite clear picture of you, your movements and activities, and make a detailed profile of your lifestyle and contacts.

Sure, you can get a search engine that helps to muddy the waters a bit but you'll still be very visible elsewhere.

Not much of an article, btw, doesn't give an impartial overview or go into detail.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Anything you do online is already recorded somewhere,

Yes and no. Whatever bits of your life have the potential to hang around, but this is not a certainty. Storage space, whilst cheap, does have a cost.

quote:

any organization you've had contact with will already have you on a database,

A part of you.
quote:

any non-cash payment you make is fully traceable,

Yes and no.
Any traces you have had up to now were disparate.
quote:

Whether you like it or not, they've already been able to assemble a quite clear picture of you, your movements and activities, and make a detailed profile of your lifestyle and contacts.

The way it worked* was an agency had to have a suspicion of you. Then they would further try to track you.
If Snowden showed anything it is that access to information will be abused.

*Loosely

[ 27. November 2016, 15:49: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read today that UK police are denying use of cell phone inceptors, IMSI catchers. The use of which is probably ubiquitous there. Meaning no cell phone is not being monitored.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I've always been in two minds over surveillance.

The PTB will be reading both of them. And getting ready to take them in for washing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw on television this morning that Australia Post postmen and postwomen are up to no good, lobbing packages that don't fit into the letterbox into front yards* and breaking the contents. If it wasn't for private CCTV cameras this appalling behavior would not have come to light.

This highlights the fact that we are watched by both the public and private sectors. If I had my druthers, I would much prefer this activity to be the exclusive preserve of the public sector, with corporate entities given crippling penalties for keeping records. Government at its best is the friend of the poor man and the restrainer of wealth. That's how its been since Billy the Conq. The recent election in the United States proves it.

*For the English among you, a "front yard" is the space between the front of the house and the edge of the public street. It does not include the grassed area between the notional fence and the edge of the street, known as the "nature strip". This name is not ironic, but traditional. Even though the nature strip is technically the responsibility of local government in Australia, the Householder is required to mow it. Some people plant out their entire nature strip, but they are shunned by all right thinking people.

NOTE: There is a point in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.

[ 01. December 2016, 02:50: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the Australians among you, the strip between the sidewalk (aka "pavement" for some bizarre reason) and the street, usually planted with grass in residential settings, is called the "parking strip" although nobody parks on it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it called the hellstrip (though that may be just gardeners talking). We haven't got one, living in a woefully under-sidewalked area.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Not much of an article, btw, doesn't give an impartial overview or go into detail.

What impartial overview would you like to present? There's a good reason for not going into detail - the bill largely doesn't - it states things in terms of outcome, and gets most of the detail wrong
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
For the Australians among you, the strip between the sidewalk (aka "pavement" for some bizarre reason) and the street, usually planted with grass in residential settings, is called the "parking strip" although nobody parks on it.

Ironically, it's called the "verge" here and it's not meant for parking, but people do anyway, destroying the grass and making it muddy. Personally if I were the council I'd prosecute the parkers for criminal damage and put a civil claim in for reseeding it. /Tangent

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

It's called a boulevard here. The one in the centre of some streets between traffic lanes is also a boulevard. The first 3 metres from the road are city property ("city easement") such that they may even plant trees in your front yard unless you object. Once planted you may not prune otherwise do anything to them.

It is a city bylaw requirement that residents and businesses keep the sidewalk clear of snow and debris, and not shovel anything into the street. This freedom to not shovel snow when the city doesn't clear streets properly is a hot debate in cold weather.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016