homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Alternative lifestyles (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alternative lifestyles
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Derick Almena Ghost Ship manager. Odd, did you say, Boogie? [Help]

That interview kind of makes me glad I don't hang out in musical/artistic circles so much anymore. Whatever the opposite of nostalgia is, that's kind of how I'm remembering my social life twenty-odd years ago, watching the video.

That said, there probably isn't a lot that the guy SHOULD be saying to the media at this point in time, given that he is almost certainly at the centre of a pretty intense police investigation. So I'd say the reporters were lucky to get as much out of him as they did.

And I take his point that he lived there himself with his family, so we can probably assume that he never remotely expected that anything like this would ever happen. And I'm speculating that, if as is being claimed, the city itself wasn't doing anything about the code violations, he probably rationalized his lack of oversight by saying to himself "Well, if the city doesn't care, it's probably all kosher."

Seems pretty obvious that he has not engaged legal counsel. His interview is solid proof that you can't fix stupid.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News, as of this evening: the building hadn't been inspected in at least 30 years.
[Paranoid]

Plenty of blame to go around, it seems.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Report on CBS last night: most major cities in US have similar warehouse "ghost ships." Philidelphia is moving to close the ones in its city limits down. Problem is, many residents have nowhere else to go.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Report on CBS last night: most major cities in US have similar warehouse "ghost ships." Philidelphia is moving to close the ones in its city limits down. Problem is, many residents have nowhere else to go.

IMO, it is a vicious cycle. Those who have nowhere to go find ignored places. Those places are relatively ignored because there is no other place for those people to go.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand the importance of building codes. I happen to live in an area where over 3,000 people became homeless and several others are dead because of a forrest fire caused by someone deciding they did not want to bother with permits and codes to hook up their hot tub. The do it yourself wiring shorted out and now over a year later people are still struggling to get on with life. It will be years before the trees return and many will carry the emotional scars of this horrible event for their lifetimes. One may think they are simply following freedom of lifestyle but it can involve others, who suffer for their choices. Even today when I smell smoke I find myself tense up and although thankfully my house did not burn I will never forget the terror of fleeing the falling embers. I know the scars on the landscape will greet me each day and I look around me with sadness. I am sure the person wiring his hot tub did not intend to do harm, but building codes are there for a reason. Enjoy your alternative life style as long as it does not endanger my life, and my community.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--I've heard there's a video now (locally and recently made here in the SF Bay Area, I think) on how to have a safe warehouse party.

--Graven Image, I'm sorry for what you went through. If I may ask, what happened to the person responsible? (Feel free not to answer.)

--Sometimes, tenants' groups give out info on how to legalize a situation where people are squatting in a disused building. (E.g., getting mail delivered to you at the address can help establish residency.) I'm not sure if it includes safety advice, but this would be a really good time to add it.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key asked
quote:
--Graven Image, I'm sorry for what you went through. If I may ask, what happened to the person responsible? (Feel free not to answer.)
The person has been charged I think it will be a long process. The person is claiming that fire investigators are wrong.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016