homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Those who vote differently (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Those who vote differently
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
So what is the answer?

The answer is more than just word salad.

The answer is to point to some actual policy proposals, with numbers that add up, designed to achieve the outcomes you favour, and an explanation as to why these outcomes are better.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
I'm not sure that the above depressing picture of a dying Britain is entirely compatible with the Brexiteer assertion that Britain, as the fifth largest economy in the world, is absolutely hot potatoes and everyone else will be queuing up to make trade deals with us.

It's Schrödinger again. The UK is both an economic has-been held back from the greatness we deserve by the EU, and an economic superpower supported by EU investment and market access.
I've noticed this shift among Brexiters of my acquaintance. Before the vote, Britain was Great and didn't need the EU or pesky immigrants. Unfurl the union flags, let them float! We are the envy of less happier lands! Now we're a basket-case and the EU is doing its best to finish us off. Calling people on it tends to make them cross, but making Brexiters cross is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schroeinger's Cat:
quote:
I cannot even start to comprehend a mindset that . . . .
So here is the problem. Until you can at least begin to understand, you'll find it harder to relate to those who think differently to you.

Now this has limits, as I know since I was brought up as a Jehovah's witness (see, I even still get their name right: capital J small w - these things can be important). And I know their theology in depth, and am not able to accord it the status of being an intellectually permissible option. So all I can do with them is allow them their space in a free society.

With Brexit after initially being rather pissed off with the result (though not as much as many) I decided to see if there were any good things - at all - to be said for it, and concluded that there were, so whilst still of the view that it was a mistake, I do include it as an intellectually permissible option.

I like to go back to a remark by Bertrand Russel in his excellent popular history of Western philosophy, where he had a digression on how he came to grips with Augustine, whose ideas he thought stupid and obnoxious. And he came to the conclusion that whenever he was totally unable to have any sympathy with a viewpoint supported by many who on all other objective grounds were intelligent and honest and expert, he concluded that this was a weakness in him. So he started to comprehend the mindset of Augustine. He never got to agree with him, but did get to see that there was much to admire.

So if you admit that there are intelligent, honest and expert people who are pro-Brexit, are you prepared to engage in dialogue with them? On the Brexit thread I recommended David Owen's book, since in may view he fulfils the criteria, as does (as a harsh critic of EU market fundamentalist neo-liberalism but emphatically no brexiteer) Joseph Stiglitz.

A relevant question is: Do you want to understand? There are many who believe a tendency to sit on fences can be a pain in the arse, and I can even begin to comprehend this attitude.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a story of Field Marshall Montgomery that when he was fighting Rommel in North Africa he kept a picture of him above his desk and tried to understand what he was likely to do. He certainly later called a dog Rommel.

In other words, if you want to win a debate you must first understand what your opponent is thinking.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking as one who has been trying to defend the Leave position on the main Brexit thread, I'm not sure that the above depressing picture of a dying Britain is entirely compatible with the Brexiteer assertion that Britain, as the fifth largest economy in the world, is absolutely hot potatoes and everyone else will be queuing up to make trade deals with us.

If someone is slowly bleeding to death then healing the wound will (eventually) restore them to their previous strength.

I don't see any inherent contradiction in the idea that Britain is a strong country that is being slowly but surely weakened by EU membership, and that will be able to recover its strength once it is no longer an EU member.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I don't see any inherent contradiction in the idea that Britain is a strong country that is being slowly but surely weakened by EU membership, and that will be able to recover its strength once it is no longer an EU member.

Which is all fine - except that we'd be better off if we were properly part of Europe, not faffing around on the fringes.

European laws improve things - especially for the workforce.

My son is a nurse in Germany, my friend's daughter is a nurse in England. The difference in working conditions and everything else is very noticeable. It's the same in manufacturing, cleanliness of streets, you name it.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Which is all fine - except that we'd be better off if we were properly part of Europe, not faffing around on the fringes.

Regardless of the truth status of that claim, I'm talking about the country and you're talking about people. Not the same thing.

I imagine that quite a lot of people who voted for Brexit would refuse an offer of a million pounds (or euros) if it came with the condition that they had to surrender their British nationality and become French. Hard as it may be for some people on this thread to understand, there are those who see their national identity as more important than personal prosperity.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
So how do you deal with people who seem to vote in incomprehensible ways?

Accept that they comprehended their vote.

There is a big difference between thinking someone's reasons for a vote were poor, or flawed, or downright false, and thinking that there simply wasn't a reason because your own reasoning process couldn't have brought you to that same vote.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I imagine that quite a lot of people who voted for Brexit would refuse an offer of a million pounds (or euros) if it came with the condition that they had to surrender their British nationality and become French. Hard as it may be for some people on this thread to understand, there are those who see their national identity as more important than personal prosperity.

This is analogous to the discussion of "would you sleep with her?" "No!" "A million dollars?" "Well..." "How about ten bucks?" "What do you take me for?" "We've already established that, we're just haggling over the price now."

If you beggar people, they won't give a monkeys about Britishness. Likewise, all those ultrarich non-doms who seem more than happy to trade their residency for a passel of cash. Everyone has their price.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Regardless of the truth status of that claim, I'm talking about the country and you're talking about people. Not the same thing.

Or you are talking of Britain as an institution while Boogies is talking of Britain as a people.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure that the above depressing picture of a dying Britain is entirely compatible with the Brexiteer assertion that Britain, as the fifth largest economy in the world, is absolutely hot potatoes and everyone else will be queuing up to make trade deals with us.

It's Schrödinger again. The UK is both an economic has-been held back from the greatness we deserve by the EU, and an economic superpower supported by EU investment and market access.
I've noticed this shift among Brexiters of my acquaintance. Before the vote, Britain was Great and didn't need the EU or pesky immigrants. Unfurl the union flags, let them float! We are the envy of less happier lands! Now we're a basket-case and the EU is doing its best to finish us off. Calling people on it tends to make them cross, but making Brexiters cross is like shooting fish in a barrel.
It strikes me that we're dealing with various fantasies about Britain. This is partly why its Greatness is difficult to define. After all, in the Victorian age, Britain was presumably Great, in terms of its industry, its commercial dealings with other countries, its military prowess, colonial possessions, and so on. Is this what the Greaters want to go back to?

Generally, one would call this stuff a right-wing fantasy, but clearly it has struck a chord among different groups. I suppose they will get disappointed in a Tory government, but maybe in all governments, as fantasies don't mesh very well with actual reality. And people get angry when their fantasies don't work.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm talking about the country and you're talking about people. Not the same thing.

But, what is a country if not the collective people who live there? If you dug up a spade-full of soil from Middle England it's not going to know it's 'English soil' rather than 'European soil', the land doesn't care. Though, if you ask a geologist then the answer would be clear - Britain is part of the European continental shelf.

quote:

I imagine that quite a lot of people who voted for Brexit would refuse an offer of a million pounds (or euros) if it came with the condition that they had to surrender their British nationality and become French.

Except, that isn't something that was ever going to happen. The closest would be that the long term aim of the European Union is greater political union, which would at some point in the future probably mean that we would increasingly see ourselves as "European" and our British identity would become closer to a regional rather than national identity (akin to being a Brummie, Scouser or Cockney). But, I'm not expecting anything like that in my lifetime (much as I would welcome it).

quote:
Hard as it may be for some people on this thread to understand, there are those who see their national identity as more important than personal prosperity.
If the people living in a country are prosperous, does that not also mean the country is prosperous? Are not the two intimately related? And, just to be clear, I consider prosperity to be more than just financial - it's about quality of life, so includes things like job satisfaction and welfare. But, I'm not seeing the fat cats that run the Tory party as being all that considered about anything more than their personal prosperity. If Brexit gives them a chance to get rich then they'll happily let the rest of the country got to pot (or, so their actions suggest).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
If you beggar people, they won't give a monkeys about Britishness. Likewise, all those ultrarich non-doms who seem more than happy to trade their residency for a passel of cash. Everyone has their price.

I disagree, for two principal reasons.

1 - I've spoken to homeless people who were amazingly proud to be British.

2 - At no point did I say everyone felt the way I indicated, only that many do. Pointing out that many don't isn't a refutation of that claim.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The people who have done the best out of being British are often the first people in the queue to ditch their responsibilities to it. I'm remembering back to past conversations where you and me talked about tax.

And I expect you weren't offering a million quid to those homeless people.

The point stands.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
But, what is a country if not the collective people who live there?

Britain isn't just whichever 65,000,000 individuals happen to live on this island at the moment, it's also the history, the culture, the mythology. It's the land that beat Napoleon, that ruled the waves, that stood alone against the might of the Nazis until the yanks and russkies got round to helping out. It's cricket on the lawn, dry stone walls and village pubs. It's the industrial revolution, the monarchy, the chimes of Big Ben. It's an idea, or better yet an ideal.

quote:
quote:
I imagine that quite a lot of people who voted for Brexit would refuse an offer of a million pounds (or euros) if it came with the condition that they had to surrender their British nationality and become French.
Except, that isn't something that was ever going to happen.
Of course it isn't. I was merely illustrating that for some people national identity is more important than personal prosperity.

quote:
quote:
Hard as it may be for some people on this thread to understand, there are those who see their national identity as more important than personal prosperity.
If the people living in a country are prosperous, does that not also mean the country is prosperous? Are not the two intimately related?
You're missing the point, which is that for some people it's not about prosperity at all, it's about national identity.

[code]

[ 06. January 2017, 12:15: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm at work so can't post extensively but to address one point, yes we are probably the worlds 5th strongest economy with good trading power, however who wants to settle for 5th?

Why not go for 1st?

We have the chance to do that outside of the EU, but the EU would never allow us to do that.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why not go for 1st?

Because reasons.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
we are probably the worlds 5th strongest economy with good trading power, however who wants to settle for 5th?

8th, and falling. By why settle for that? We could be the very worst.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fantasy time.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
we are probably the worlds 5th strongest economy with good trading power, however who wants to settle for 5th?

8th, and falling. By why settle for that? We could be the very worst.
Well, after 5 years of Brexit, we might be in double figures, i.e. 10th or lower. Hey, this gambling malarkey is fun, eh?

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It's fantasy time.

No. It's disruptive, as in a disruptive technology. Whatever happens from now will be different.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
It's disruptive, as in a disruptive technology

What, like Steorn's Orbo?

Disruptive technology is not disruptive unless it has all of these things. If it doesn't have them, it's just a disaster for those concerned.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
It's fantasy time.

No. It's disruptive, as in a disruptive technology. Whatever happens from now will be different.
Well, yes, fantasies are often disruptive. I could regale you with many stories about individuals who suffered from ongoing fantasies which wrecked their lives. I would think that nation states might also be prone to this, but I guess we are in for some empirical testing!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm not talking prosperity, I'm talking quality of life. So much about Germany is better I'd relocate like a shot if I were 20 years younger.

There is a big difference between money and quality of life. While my son was learning the language he worked in many low status jobs - chambermaid, waiter, career etc. He was treated so well. Over here we just don't have that mentality towards immigrants, sadly.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

'Carer' not 'career' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're missing the point, which is that for some people it's not about prosperity at all, it's about national identity.

You do know that "The Village Green Preservation Society" was harking back to a golden age that never was? All the symptoms, but the underlying conditions were totally different.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was merely illustrating that for some people national identity is more important than personal prosperity.

... for some people it's not about prosperity at all, it's about national identity.

Which is all fine and dandy. But, voting whether to stay in or leave the EU was not about national identity at all - unless you consider national identity is threatened by a small number of immigrants (which is simply bizarre for a nation with a history that means practically everyone is descended from an immigrant within the last 2000 years - especially the English). And, I can't really see how an argument along the lines of "we don't want those foreigners here because it will make us less British" can be anything other than racist.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I was merely illustrating that for some people national identity is more important than personal prosperity.

... for some people it's not about prosperity at all, it's about national identity.

Which is all fine and dandy. But, voting whether to stay in or leave the EU was not about national identity at all
Sovereignty, and whether a country can make its own laws, presumably form part of any discussion about national identity?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
however who wants to settle for 5th?

Why not go for 1st?

China is on course to become 1st for the simple reason that it has a lot more people. Do you want to try inviting a billion people onto these islands? Will they all come?

quote:
We have the chance to do that outside of the EU, but the EU would never allow us to do that.
Not if we tighten up our immigration policy.
Who wants to settle for 5th? Anyone who isn't a dickwaver.
1st per capita might be a sensible aim as long as we can be 1st equal.

Actually we were and still are the 2nd largest economy in the world. Until we leave the EU when it will be the 3rd largest economy without us.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I thought that the Brexit argument was that national identity is threatened by a superordinate power such as the EU, which can make its own laws and regulations.

One of the problems with this argument, is that it suggests that outside the EU, the UK could simply make its own. In an age of globalization and trade deals, this seems unlikely.

It also seems like a guess. I suppose politics can be based on guesswork sometimes, but it has to be dressed up with certainty, e.g. make Britain great. Yeah, but how? By inviting China to buy a lot of our basic infrastructure, maybe. Then Britain will achieve oriental greatness.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I had to smile when a friend suggested to me that local areas could train up local English youth to do various jobs, e.g. agricultural, health, catering, construction. How about the cost of this training? He suggested that an EU grant would cover it. That's the naughty step for you.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It's fantasy time.

Mate, you're like a middle aged man who has just left his wife, put down a deposit on a sports car and is bragging to his mates about how he will soon be shagging that hot little property in H.R. Meanwhile the missus is on the blower to Messrs Sue, Grabbit and Runne to ensure that she gets to keep the house and that Mr Midlife will carry on ponying up for the school fees.

Frankly, the whole "Mr Hubris, have you met my esteemed colleague Mr Nemesis" bit would be mildly amusing if it was someone else's country involved.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
quote:

Which is all fine and dandy. But, voting whether to stay in or leave the EU was not about national identity at all
Sovereignty, and whether a country can make its own laws, presumably form part of any discussion about national identity?
Do you really think laws are made for the benefit of those who elect the lawmakers? It may not have happened in Brussels but it certainly hasn't in Britain, where the rich and powerful are determined to keep everything just so. The EU by contrast have improved the lot of the ordinary man and woman almost as much as the Attlee government did. I suppose that's what the Brexiteers want removed.

Sovereignty my arse.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, in the words of Vladimir Ilyich, who whom?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you really think laws are made for the benefit of those who elect the lawmakers? It may not have happened in Brussels but it certainly hasn't in Britain, where the rich and powerful are determined to keep everything just so. The EU by contrast have improved the lot of the ordinary man and woman almost as much as the Attlee government did. I suppose that's what the Brexiteers want removed.

Sovereignty my arse.

This seems tragic and sad to me, that so many have-nots in areas such as the North, seem to have swallowed the old lie that they will now be enriched by a new Tory dispensation, or in fact, a right wing dispensation. Really?

I keep seeing clips on TV news from places like Great Yarmouth and Sunderland, where people in the street seem convinced that outside the EU and with fewer immigrants, the economy will work for them. Meanwhile, austerity carries on, the poor and the disabled carry on being spanked.

I understand 'neither weep nor mourn, but seek to understand', but maybe I should be allowed to mourn a bit. The postwar consensus is fucked.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I'm not talking prosperity, I'm talking quality of life. So much about Germany is better I'd relocate like a shot if I were 20 years younger.

Tomayto, tomahto. My comment works for either.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm at work so can't post extensively but to address one point, yes we are probably the worlds 5th strongest economy with good trading power, however who wants to settle for 5th?

Why not go for 1st?

Alienating ourselves from the rest of our continent, and isolating former allies is very unlikely to bring many bonuses economically, politically or socially to the United Kingdom, in my opinion. Quite the contrary.

And where the fuck was this 'Great' Great Britain you imagine existed somewhere in an equally imaginary past? Dates and names, please? You've already had it explained to you what 'Great Britain' actually means, so any play on the words has got to be at the very least metaphorical.

I'm with the poster who thought Britain was great in the period just after the second world war, when serious attempts were made to look after the vulnerable in society through welfare reforms, and the new NHS was coming into play. In addition, provision was being made for getting working class people into higher education, and there was a whisper of a promise of beginning to eliminate the elitist monopolies in politics, education and business.

Everything else before that and since then was just an inept greedy mixture of capitalism and the Poor Law.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

Do you really think laws are made for the benefit of those who elect the lawmakers?
How is that relevant to what Anglican't said? Wanting the British government to be free to make its own laws is not affected by which laws it happens to make.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you really think laws are made for the benefit of those who elect the lawmakers?
How is that relevant to what Anglican't said? Wanting the British government to be free to make its own laws is not affected by which laws it happens to make.
WTF? Few people vote for people/ideas they think will disadvantage them. Those that voted for Brexit were not doing so for a concept, but for their own perceived benefit.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

Been watching the match and Alf Garnet would be turning in his grave... pity.

Anyway, I've answered the OP as I see it. The rest is just screaming and wailing from those who lost the referendum. I can get that anywhere.

Bye for a while.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Just do us all a favour, and make it a very long while.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
WTF? Few people vote for people/ideas they think will disadvantage them.

Well, it's nice to know I'm so unusual then, seeing as I support higher taxes for the wealthy even though I am now rather well off. Because guess what? I see other kinds of advantages from the supposed disadvantage of me paying more money.

Whatever one thinks of the merits of Brexit, this outright denial that it has anything to do with national identity or sovereignty is quite bizarre. Of course it does.

And history is littered with cases of people who wanted self-determination even while they were being told it wouldn't be good for the economy, or whatever. As if that was the only form of benefit possible.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Few people vote for people/ideas they think will disadvantage them. Those that voted for Brexit were not doing so for a concept, but for their own perceived benefit.

I read somewhere, not on the Ship I don't think, the comment on the US election that people feeling left behind by the system were voting, not so much to improve their own lot, but to make the lot of those they perceived as better off than them worse.

I thought that was both sad and insightful.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I'm glad that at least one person (orfeo) understands what I'm on about.

[ 06. January 2017, 22:18: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
WTF? Few people vote for people/ideas they think will disadvantage them. Those that voted for Brexit were not doing so for a concept, but for their own perceived benefit.

If the aim of the exercise is to understand why people act in ways which seem to you irrational, and those people give their reasons, and you say no, those can't possibly be your reasons - then I don't think the exercise is going to get very far ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Well, it's nice to know I'm so unusual then,
See the first word after the exclamation? Few. Not none, Few.
quote:

seeing as I support higher taxes for the wealthy even though I am now rather well off. Because guess what? I see other kinds of advantages from the supposed disadvantage of me paying more money.

You see what? Advantages. You are saying you vote because you see advantages.
quote:

Whatever one thinks of the merits of Brexit, this outright denial that it has anything to do with national identity or sovereignty is quite bizarre. Of course it does.

Never said nationalism was absent from the motivation.
National Identity and sovereignty do not preclude self-interest, usually quite the opposite.
quote:

And history is littered with cases of people who wanted self-determination even while they were being told it wouldn't be good for the economy, or whatever. As if that was the only form of benefit possible.

Again benefit.

I am not saying that no one ever votes against there own personal interests, just that it is not common. And those who do tend to list more to port than starboard.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Well, it's nice to know I'm so unusual then,
See the first word after the exclamation? Few. Not none, Few.

Yeah, I did see that. And I responded accordingly, which you would see if you lowered the outrage level for a while. Which bit of the word "unusual" made you think I was claiming to be unique?

As for your whole advantages/disadvantages shtick, the whole problem with it is that it immediately collapses in the real world where no one voting choice is a total win. You seem to have no conception about the WEIGHING UP process that goes into decisions.

My support for higher taxes for myself is based on a view that the loss of money for myself is not as important as other advantages I perceive from the use of that money elsewhere.

I'm going to reverse your claim about people not voting for a disadvantage and argue that almost EVERYONE votes to disadvantage themselves in some way or another. They do it because they weight it up against a perceived advantage and decide that the benefits outweigh the costs.

In the next few weeks I'm probably going to be something like 25,000 dollars poorer. I will also have a new car.

[ 07. January 2017, 05:30: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, but they weren't voting on 'I want to be royally screwed by the good old English elite rather than a bunch of foreigners', that was just the end result.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Hameron stating that a vote for Leave would be equivalent to an 'act of national self-harm'. Rather a foolish thing to say given the current popularity of self harm.

Many people were not voting for themselves, they were voting for there children and there children,s children. OK, this might well turn out to be utterly misguided as are many popular movements do, but this was nevertheless the fact of the matter.
For a whole manner of reasons something had been brewing in a significant proportion of the Electorate. The cork would have blown eventually even if Hameron hadn't produced a bottle opener.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I think for the vast majority of people "voting for your own interests" is actually voting for the interests of immediate family and other "people like us" (at least what they consider to be best). The number of people who do anything just for themselves, rather than to benefit at least their children as well, is vanishingly small - and, I'm sure that extends to voting as well.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016