homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Not voting as abdicating citizenly responsibility (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Not voting as abdicating citizenly responsibility
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo--

I understood that you were concerned about the referendum. But it seemed to me that you might also be saying "Why in the world would you go to the bother of a referendum for plastic bags?". So I was trying to explain why.

From what you've said, I gather that it was the gov't there that decided, on its own, to ban plastic bags? Respectfully, that wouldn't work here. IIRC, our local bag law was by vote, years ago. There was a lot of fuss about it, before and after. It would've been worse without a vote.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
orfeo--

I understood that you were concerned about the referendum. But it seemed to me that you might also be saying "Why in the world would you go to the bother of a referendum for plastic bags?". So I was trying to explain why.

From what you've said, I gather that it was the gov't there that decided, on its own, to ban plastic bags? Respectfully, that wouldn't work here. IIRC, our local bag law was by vote, years ago. There was a lot of fuss about it, before and after. It would've been worse without a vote.

The Legislative Assembly voted on it. No doubt driven by the government's view.

There was fuss about it. Then people got on with life.

The reason that "wouldn't work" there is simply because culturally you've decided that you have to vote on these things. Which, to return to the original point, is part of why a large portion of people over there don't bother voting. You ask people to vote so often.

You set out the policy issues about plastic bags. That doesn't answer the question as to why being able to continue to use the "cheap" (cost-externalising) nasty plastic bags is SO deeply important that you have to ask the entire population about it. Seriously, what do people over there think government is actually for, if not to take some decision-making over?

[ 02. February 2017, 20:33: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D--

Sincere thanks for the explanation. Wow!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016