homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Are tattoos unwise? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are tattoos unwise?
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No shaking of the canes here, always been a firm believer in letting people do what they want to do, "within reason" as Mater used to say.

By all means let us debate the prejudice that may be surrounding tattoos, provided is doesn't feel like treading on eggshells as often can seem the case.
May I start by suggesting some of it might have derived from tattoos being associated with inferior Native cultures long ago, then in more recent times,(as in 100yrs ago or less), they often adorned the fore arms of sailors and travelling Gypsies---common folk as it was said back then.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Personally, I find them offensive in women. I can't look at a tattooed woman.

Why?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
My prejudice is that tatoos are 'common'.

An honest response, and I suspect one shared with 95% of middle class Britain 30 years ago. Tattoos were a symbol of marginalised, rough and/or extremely masculine cultures: military (especially navy, but also army), ex-cons, travellers, bikers. Tattoos were kind of scary and taboo, and that seemed to part of their kudos. The pain of the procedure was probably part of that.

The situation's changed a lot since then, I'm not sure why. Was it via musicians? Metalheads then the rest? Surfing maybe? People seem to like to be bit more dangerous and transgressive then their surrounding culture, but not too much so, and a generation ago tattoos were a step too far for most people.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No tattoos myself but I know a few people who have commemorated significant events in that way, rather like Olympic athletes getting a small tattoo of the Olympic rings. More commonly in my acquaintance, a wedding or the birth of a child. One person had a Celtic cross tattooed over her heart to mark her ordination.
Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
The situation's changed a lot since then, I'm not sure why. Was it via musicians? Metalheads then the rest? Surfing maybe? People seem to like to be bit more dangerous and transgressive then their surrounding culture, but not too much so, and a generation ago tattoos were a step too far for most people.

No, I don't think so. Tattoos weren't on the radar re people pushing the cultural or societal envelope, they were for military, and represented a rough, macho crowd. Like steel workers and rough necks. Hinted of something a bit seedy as well. Before something like 1980.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neandergirl:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
However, I do think there is one health issue that isn’t mentioned enough: the so-called “girlie spot” on the lower back. Any young woman who wants to get inked there needs to be thoroughly warned that if she ever wants to have a baby later in life, she will not under any circumstances be able to have an epidural (anaesthetists won’t/can’t inject into a tattoo). I believe this warning is not always given.

I think that might depend on the types of ink used and/or size of the tat. I was able to have an epidural with no problem. It's also never interfered with MRI/CT scans which can, I'm told, excite particles in some inks and cause heat.
I've had an epidural. It went in higher up than those lower back tattoos tend to be positioned.

Just had a look at 'epidural' on google images. Two quick thoughts. 1.) Gross, gross, gross, but then, hey, you don't have to look at your own one going in! and 2.) There does seem to be some variation in the height of the insertion point.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Personally, I find them offensive in women. I can't look at a tattooed woman. And they're all going to look very funny as little old ladies.

My 18 year old niece had a tattoo on her abdomen. My sister's (her mother) response was "wait and see what that looks like after you've had a couple of children"
Look, an abdomen is going to appear different after a couple of children anyway. And the owner of said abdomen is likely to wistfully look back on days of yore and prefer her pre-mommy abdomen - anyway. And the partner of said mommy-abdomen is likely to think that it's just great the way it is, just the same as it was just great the way it was - anyway. I don't see that a tattoo makes much odds one way or another there.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this thread is making me want to go out and get one...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it helps, I am. Booked in for April, after meeting in September (which is a good sign).

FWIW my reasons are fairly simple. I have always liked tatts, for a number of reasons. Partly the up yours to social acceptability (less of an issue these days) and partly just for their own sake. In my youth three things stopped me getting one: my flawed GLE take on Leviticus; knowledge that the images I most liked weren't really appropriate to who I was; a belief that I wasn't That Guy - too straight, vanilla, conventional, despite having long hair, denim & leather, bikes, rock etc.

In recent years I've come up with an idea I like, found a friend who could draw it, a tattoo artist who is damn good, and decided life's too short. I'd rather live the latter third/half my life regretting what I've done, not what I haven't.

Maybe it's a mid-life crisis, but I can't afford a flash car, and loose women would be detrimental to my marriage, so sod it. And yes, it’s going somewhere that is generally covered anyway (upper right arm, I'm a leftie (in many regards)).

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a strong gang culture in the Cape, especially in prisons where gang members get facial tattoos to inspire fear in rival gangs and the community. Pigments are made up from burned paper, ground-up rubber washers or brick dust with saliva. The symbolism is similar to those found in many prison/gang subcultures: fangs under the lips, devil horns on the forehead, spider's webs to indicate a predator and rows of stars for killing counts. Older members who have left gangs often try to have identifying tattoos disguised by adding Bible verses, crosses and praying hands. The combination is very Jekyll & Hyde rolled up in one.

Lifestyle tattoos also outlive their trendiness: a friend is going through hellishly painful and lengthy laser removal of a Goth composition of vampire bats and bleeding roses tattooed on her neck. She is allergic to numbing creams and can't afford surgery under anaesthetic. The same friend developed bursitis on her upper leg after a tattoo artist diluted her inks with unsterilised water. She assures me most people don't get infections and laser removal needn't involve cosmetic dermatologists or injections of Lidocaine.

I'm just a scaredy-cat about physical pain. I find some tattoos attractive on other people but can't think of any design or sigil or phrase I like enough to want to have it tattooed on my skin. And I suspect I'd change my mind about it within weeks rather than years.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had my Queen tattoo done it took 3 solid hours without a break. The first bit was to get the outline done, the next bit was for all the grey shading.

Looking back I think I went into a very mild form of shock because I went very cold and I started trembling a little. The tattooist turned the heating up for me [Smile]

I was so proud of it but then, about 3 days later I looked at it in the mirror and for maybe, 10 seconds - a very long 10 seconds! - I thought Oh no! What have I done??

But that passed and I really couldn't be more proud.
People might ask what on earth possessed you to get the logo of a rock group on your arm? Well, it's more than that.

I fell in love with Queen when Bohemian Rhapsody came out and a friend loaned me Sheer Heart Attack - the album prior to A Night at The Opera. I was hooked and in the second half of the 70s, until I left Sixth Form in 1980, Queen was the soundtrack to my schooling.

Of course, I've seen them numerous times with Freddie and post-Freddie and so, my tattoo is basically a reflection of the passion for the music I've loved for 40+ years.

The Bible verse is my favourite verse and so, that will never go out of fashion.

I would only advise anyone to get a tattoo if it's absolutely the thing that occupies your mind for months beforehand. Never get one with little thought.

... oh, and they're addictive. I keep saying I want another one but at the moment, thankfully, I have no idea what I really want. Mrs Mudfrog will be pleased [Smile]

[ 28. January 2017, 09:15: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Tattoos weren't on the radar re people pushing the cultural or societal envelope, they were for military, and represented a rough, macho crowd. Like steel workers and rough necks.

Agreed about rough and macho crowd. It was also class-based - there was generally a very firm resistance to tattoos from the middle class.

So who popularized tattoos across all of society, and when? Or was it a general diffusion? Musicians in the 1980s seem quite a good possibility. Henry Rollins (seen here in 1980) is one example, but heavy metal bands probably got there first. What about country? Or hip hop then rap?

It's also not a uniform phenomena across the West - some parts of Europe are much less tattooed than the UK is currently, e.g. Poland.

(Edit to add: Props to everyone who gets their first one later in life - hearing people's reasons is fascinating.)

[ 28. January 2017, 11:46: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Had my sig tattooed on my right forearm for my 60th.

Mind if I ask why?
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had the first one done at the age of 52 my son said to me (Like he was my father!) 'But you'll have it for the whole of your life.'

I replied that as I had lived 52 years without one, getting one now was only temporary. [Smile]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't got one, but were I to get one, it would be the Pictish v-rod and crescent symbol.

Last summer I spotted a heavily tattoed and pierced man at the bus stop, who had a V-rod and crescent. So I stopped to admire it and said that it would be my choice. He then told me he had a second Pictish design; the Pictish beast. My avatar!

After I had finished praising his excellent taste in tattoos and walked away, it occured to me that having a fat, frumpy middle-aged woman sharing his taste in tattoos might not have been quite the effect he had been aiming for.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
After I had finished praising his excellent taste in tattoos and walked away, it occured to me that having a fat, frumpy middle-aged woman sharing his taste in tattoos might not have been quite the effect he had been aiming for.

I bet he was chuffed. [Smile]

Mudfrog, for your next tattoo, try running this one past Mrs Mudfrog with a straight face?

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pain aspect isn't significant for me. I have had teeth drilling and filled without freezing, and stitches to a significant cut when anaesthesia wasn't available except if air extracted. The trick is to renain calm, against natural responses.

Frankly, I'd recommend physical exertion or a wilderness trip. Also addictive. And doesn't include the "look at me" component.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Frankly, I'd recommend physical exertion or a wilderness trip. Also addictive. And doesn't include the "look at me" component.

The Hell it doesn't. Yes, you can go hiking or do fitness without telling anyone, but plenty of folks do use fitness as a "look at me".
I don't give a rat's arse what anyone other than myself thinks of my ink. There are plenty like me in that regard.
Whilst there are also legions of people who wish to show theirs off, one can say that about most hobbies or interests.
There are real issues one should, IMO, consider before getting a tattoo. However most of the negative opinions expressed thus far on this thread are of the stuffed shirt, whinging old bastard variety.
Like, don't like as you please. But enough of the self-righteous pretense.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The Hell it doesn't. Yes, you can go hiking or do fitness without telling anyone, but plenty of folks do use fitness as a "look at me".

It took me a while to figure out (with Google's help, I believe) why people had decals on their cars that look like the national identification ones, but which say "26.2" or "13.1" When I found that they were marathon bragging stickers I just [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

It took me a while to figure out (with Google's help, I believe) why people had decals on their cars that look like the national identification ones, but which say "26.2" or "13.1" When I found that they were marathon bragging stickers I just [Roll Eyes] .
With some marathoners, it is camaraderie rather than bragging. They are a more diverse group than other competitive athletes, IME.
Still, I do not care for stickers and such.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Re facial piercings. They generally don't go well with airbags in case of auto accident.

Neither does wearing glasses, but you wouldn't want drivers to remove them for safety.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I bet he was chuffed. [Smile]

Mudfrog, for your next tattoo, try running this one past Mrs Mudfrog with a straight face?

Oh no! LOL
[Snigger] [Killing me]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A neighbor lady has an oval marathon sticker on her car. Underneath a big "0.0" it says: "I don't run"
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find the tattoo phenomenom hard to understand. People talk of individuality but they are following a trend. It is as individual as having an Iphone and expressing indivduality with a differnt colour of case. That's conformity. It all seems a little sad to me.

I see that Donald Trump's way of expressing disapproval is spreading. SAD!

Seriously, if you have come to understand and not just to judge, then perhaps you might consider these perspectives from one uninked: Tattoos are not about individuality but identity. Since some identities are shared, it would make sense that some tattoos are copied or similar to each other.

I think the whole medical thing is overblown scare-mongering. Everyone "knew" that tattoos blew up in MRIs, and that you couldn't get an epidural if you had a tramp stamp. Both are vastly overstated; the only reason I wouldn't say "utter bullshit" is because there have been rare cases where tattoos have been problematic. People's risk assessment of their own lives may not include "How will this affect me if I need an MRI or an epidural?" and even if it did, it seems they would have reason to decide that a tat is statistically unlikely to cause a problem.

Being tattooed is a sign that you can endure pain. I think it can be a coded way of signalling that a person has gone through tremendous pain and lived to tell about it. The "worst" tattoos - gang tats, prison tats - are visible indicators that someone has had a much harder life than I have. In my junior high sewing class, the girl who sat next to me had a side project of creating a tattoo on her finger with a seam ripper and a ball point pen. She was the "lot lizard" at a local truck stop her parents owned. She was fifteen. You could see her tats and similar as "sad" but I see them as coping strategies and medals of pride: they say, "I have been through some shit and come out on the other side."

Like K:LB this thread makes me want to go out and get a tattoo.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Personally, I find them offensive in women. I can't look at a tattooed woman.

Why?
I would also like to know why. You would miss out on this excellent preacher.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
In my junior high sewing class, the girl who sat next to me had a side project of creating a tattoo on her finger with a seam ripper and a ball point pen. She was the "lot lizard" at a local truck stop her parents owned. She was fifteen. You could see her tats and similar as "sad" but I see them as coping strategies and medals of pride: they say, "I have been through some shit and come out on the other side."

Is tattooing oneself with a seam ripper akin to cutting?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief - I wouldn't have thought that the self-tattoos are the same thing as cutting. Cutting is a way of self-harming to give some release from feelings you can't cope with otherwise. Us adults do it with overeating, alcohol, drugs, driving too fast, overexercising, anorexia ...

A deliberate tattoo to fit in isn't the same thing, although there may be some relief from stress in in the self-infliction of pain.

(And another one who'd be tempted to get a tattoo if only I didn't know no reputable tattoo artist would touch me with a barge pole. I fail on the health question asking about allergies: I get rashes from nickel and cosmetics.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite the fact I don't have blue blood I treated myself to a small tat, to celebrate my first year in theological college. I'd wanted one for many years - just a wee one. I think it was over twenty years old before my mum even knew about it.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Could be. I'm no expert in the psychology of cutting. As with cutting, it seems to me that the place to begin the conversation may not be with "Eww! Don't you know you may be complicating the insertion of wrist lines in some far-off, unforeseen medical event?" but "Why do you do that?"
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

ISTM, it would be more akin to single-needle tattooing, such as in a traditional Japanese style. It is a non-machine method with a single needle.
The biggest worry with a seam ripper would be infection.
Also, a tattoo works best a certain depth, neither too shallow nor too deep. A seam ripper would not be ideal for this, IMO.

[ 29. January 2017, 15:44: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Of all the people on the Ship whom I would have expected to have a tattoo of Queen, Mudfrog, your name would have been at the bottom of the list. I will have to rethink certain prejudices of my own [Big Grin]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

ISTM, it would be more akin to single-needle tattooing, such as in a traditional Japanese style. It is a non-machine method with a single needle.
The biggest worry with a seam ripper would be infection.
Also, a tattoo works best a certain depth, neither too shallow nor too deep. A seam ripper would not be ideal for this, IMO.

I rather meant psychologically than methodologically.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of all the people on the Ship whom I would have expected to have a tattoo of Queen, Mudfrog, your name would have been at the bottom of the list. I will have to rethink certain prejudices of my own [Big Grin]

Likewise.

I was pretty shocked and stunned when I read about it just now.

I'm not sure what I found most startling. The tattoo or Mudfrog's appalling taste in music ...

[Razz]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'm not sure what I found most startling. The tattoo or Mudfrog's appalling taste in music ...

[Razz]

Whoa, them's fightin' words, sirrah.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lilBuddha:
[qb] The Hell it doesn't. Yes, you can go hiking or do fitness without telling anyone, but plenty of folks do use fitness as a "look at me".

I wasn't thinking of the peacock-people with their flashy tail equivalent goretex and merino, walking the streets of a mountain resort, nor the spandex-clad elliptical steppers in gyms. Rather people merely getting some physical activity and some mindfulness away from others.

Not understanding a tattoo's value if it isn't looked at.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

There is a lot about me that Shipmates do not know [Biased]
[Devil]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
quote:

Likewise.

I was pretty shocked and stunned when I read about it just now.

[Razz]

I aim to shock [Smile]

Appalling taste in music? How very dare you!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Tattoos are not about individuality but identity.

I guess they are often very strongly about both. Tribal tattoos, gang tattoos and military tattoos all say "this is my group, and this who I am within that group". IMO that gives them a powerful cohesion and beauty - especially for tribal tattoos.
quote:

I wondered that too. People probably tattoo for a complex mix of reasons including: group identity, asserting individuality, pure aesthetics/creativity, wanting to mark important life events, demonstrating ability to handle pain, using physical pain to deal with emotional pain, passion for an idea/ideology/band/brand, and fashion/lifestyle/consumerism.

[ 29. January 2017, 18:42: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Perhaps the name is influencing your view more than it should. Ripper. ISTM, she was using what she had, a pointy thing and some ink.
quote:
I wasn't thinking of the peacock-people with their flashy tail equivalent goretex and merino, walking the streets of a mountain resort, nor the spandex-clad elliptical steppers in gyms.

Wow. Not what I was talking about, General Ise. I know a number of competitive athletes and they don't generally wear that rubbish. Some of them still manage to verbally strut, humble brag and let people know just what they accomplish. Not all of them, of course, some are quiet about it.

quote:

You are not demonstrating much understanding on this topic, so not surprising.
I got my ink for me. Just me. If someone else appreciates it, that is nice, but I do not care. Generally, my tat's cannot be seen.
People get them because a design has meaning to them. People get them in remembrance. People get them as a psychological boost. There are many, many reasons people get ink and not all of them are about showing off.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Perhaps the name is influencing your view more than it should. Ripper. ISTM, she was using what she had, a pointy thing and some ink.
I know what a seam ripper is. I own at least two (although one has gone missing). I have used them extensively. Like pieces of broken glass, they are not designed to create wounds in human skin. Someone repeatedly injuring themselves is a huge red flag, or should be.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have my ears pierced because when I wore earrings all the best ones were for pierced ears (and I totally agree with Lamb Chopped about the pain of clip on ones - the screw on ones were even worse).

I would never have a tattoo due to the pain factor and my indecisiveness, but I am interested in the rise of traditional tattoos among Maori, especially the moko kauae the chin tattoo that was traditionally given to women with high mana (high ranking women).

Huia

Ear cuffs are clip on but they don't generally hurt, unless you have to push down on the cuff in order to have it stay on your ear lobe. Ear cuffs are hard to find but a Google search will show you some stores that sell them. I wear them all the time--well, I did until I misplaced my favorite one, a little ball above a cross. It was subtly Christian and wasn't ostentatious.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

I'd opt for an everlasting truth. A Half Man Half Biscuit or Morrissey/The Smiths lyric.

[Smile]

Celtic Knotweed has just told me which song she thought of when she saw your post first - to my eternal discredit, I didn't even think of it. (also NSFW).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

quote:
quote:

You are not demonstrating much understanding on this topic, so not surprising.
I got my ink for me. Just me. If someone else appreciates it, that is nice, but I do not care. Generally, my tat's cannot be seen.
People get them because a design has meaning to them. People get them in remembrance. People get them as a psychological boost. There are many, many reasons people get ink and not all of them are about showing off.

NoProphet: look at it this way. There are parts of your identity you have shared online (well, on the internet no one knows you're a dog, but let's assume you are who you present). Even your sig reveals things about you. But there are other aspects of your identity you choose not to reveal, which are private and closely held. Some tattoos are like that, too.
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

I'd opt for an everlasting truth. A Half Man Half Biscuit or Morrissey/The Smiths lyric.

[Smile]

Celtic Knotweed has just told me which song she thought of when she saw your post first - to my eternal discredit, I didn't even think of it. (also NSFW).

AG

I was surprised you didn't get there faster. But no to that and your previous suggestion.
[Big Grin]

Hmm. I am going to have to give it some thought.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
NoProphet: look at it this way. There are parts of your identity you have shared online (well, on the internet no one knows you're a dog, but let's assume you are who you present). Even your sig reveals things about you. But there are other aspects of your identity you choose not to reveal, which are private and closely held. Some tattoos are like that, too.

Permanence. I may change my clothes, the paintings on my wall, my sig.

Tattoos are are interesting thing. Brand yourself, both for yourself and others.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

She didn't say clothes.
You are somehow managing to read more and less into tattoos then there is to be read.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

No, I said clothes. I can change them. I can also change my sig, my mind, my language. Unlike tattoos. They are permanent.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
No, I said clothes.

OK, you did. Don't see how it relates to the bit of Leaf's post you quoted.

quote:

I can change them. I can also change my sig, my mind, my language. Unlike tattoos. They are permanent.

I don't see your mindset as all that changeable. Not on this subject, at least.
Not saying that you have to, of course. But you are not really addressing the counters to your prejudices.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

no prophet's flag is set so...: You have chosen to communicate several aspects of your identity, not through the medium of ink on your own body, but through words you have chosen to type and post to an internet board. (It would have been more prudent to confine them to the frail flesh, where they would disintegrate over a few years, than to the eternity of the internet, but I digress.)

Let's take an example. You have mentioned several times that you cycle through the prairie winters. If you chose to have a little bicycle tattooed on yourself, it would be a sign - for yourself and/or others, depending on its visibility - that this is an important part of how you see yourself. You are a cyclist. It is something you enjoy, something you are proud of, something that has tested your endurance. It may not be important to you to mark that on your skin, but perhaps you can understand the impulse to proclaim that in other ways than through the pixels on your monitor.

Hiro's Leap identified many of the reasons people might have to get a tattoo. Do you not understand or empathize with any of them?

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very good female friend who has several tattoos. She suffers with depression and is an ex addict who still self harms on occasion. She became a Christian just over a year ago, but is still finding life hard.
She is planning to have another tattoo - a semicolon ; from time to time, life may be paused, but it has not ended. For Caz, the tattoo will be a statement, not only of her identity, but of her hope for the future.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016