homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Can the Queen disinvite Trump? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Can the Queen disinvite Trump?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What if May gets a no confidence vote, and the government has to change before the planned visit?
Posts: 2006 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
What if May gets a no confidence vote, and the government has to change before the planned visit?

Better yet -- let's hope the U.S. has a change of government.
[Biased]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9437 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Gramps49
quote:
Nothing changes. It isn't Mrs May who has invited DT, it is Her Majesty's Government. In the same way if, say, DT were to resign before the visit then Mike Pence would come because he would be the President.

There are only three things which can stop the state visit:
  • the UK Government makes a convincing case that the security concerns are so great they cannot guarantee the President's safety;
  • the US government decides the UK is such a dangerous place they prefer not to put the President in harm's way;
  • the sovereign or her consort dies and there is full court mourning.
The first two are unlikely, bearing in mind the numerous visits made by presidents Bush and Obama after 2001. The third is in the lap of the gods.

In any case the visit is only likely to be delayed, an outright cancellation is not on the cards.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4673 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best comment of the day -

"Theresa, my dear, I desperately want you to arrange my visit to visit England, do you think you could pull it off for me?"

"Donald darling, which would you like me to do first?"

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12651 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Best comment of the day -

"Theresa, my dear, I desperately want you to arrange my visit to visit England, do you think you could pull it off for me?"

"Donald darling, which would you like me to do first?"

Prescient, apparently.
quote:
“I still want to come, but I’m in no rush,” Trump reportedly said to May. “So, if you can fix it for me, it would make things a lot easier.”

“When I know I’m going to get a better reception,” the president said, “I’ll come and not before.”

Source.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17125 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently, the news has occasionally mentioned that the White House says T won't be doing this trip this year.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17917 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The White House had previously announced 2018.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17125 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since becoming president Trump has visited several countries, and any protests against him have been manageable. I don't see why the UK should be any different. Has he offended British people more than he's offended anyone else?

As for the Queen, I'm sure it's already been said that she's used to hosting world leaders who have dodgy reputations.

Posts: 6417 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there was that small matter of him declaring the democratically-elected mayor of our largest city persona non grata in the US, simply for being a Muslim...
Posts: 3930 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Since becoming president Trump has visited several countries, and any protests against him have been manageable. I don't see why the UK should be any different. Has he offended British people more than he's offended anyone else?

As for the Queen, I'm sure it's already been said that she's used to hosting world leaders who have dodgy reputations.

The fear might be we'd find some way of changing the locks after he left town so you'd be stuck with him forever. Suckers!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11065 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contrary to Mail-, Express- and Torygraph-readers' belief, Britain isn't going to be great enough to be worth the trouble, post-Brexit. And we still have to sign up to that great and beautiful trade deal . . .

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 432 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By 2018, the UK will be in such dire straits ( aka shite) that we won't give a twopenny cuss whether Ozymandias visits, or whether he doesn't.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9130 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016