homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Can the Queen disinvite Trump? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Can the Queen disinvite Trump?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What if May gets a no confidence vote, and the government has to change before the planned visit?
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
What if May gets a no confidence vote, and the government has to change before the planned visit?

Better yet -- let's hope the U.S. has a change of government.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Gramps49
quote:
Nothing changes. It isn't Mrs May who has invited DT, it is Her Majesty's Government. In the same way if, say, DT were to resign before the visit then Mike Pence would come because he would be the President.

There are only three things which can stop the state visit:
  • the UK Government makes a convincing case that the security concerns are so great they cannot guarantee the President's safety;
  • the US government decides the UK is such a dangerous place they prefer not to put the President in harm's way;
  • the sovereign or her consort dies and there is full court mourning.
The first two are unlikely, bearing in mind the numerous visits made by presidents Bush and Obama after 2001. The third is in the lap of the gods.

In any case the visit is only likely to be delayed, an outright cancellation is not on the cards.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best comment of the day -

"Theresa, my dear, I desperately want you to arrange my visit to visit England, do you think you could pull it off for me?"

"Donald darling, which would you like me to do first?"

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13028 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Best comment of the day -

"Theresa, my dear, I desperately want you to arrange my visit to visit England, do you think you could pull it off for me?"

"Donald darling, which would you like me to do first?"

Prescient, apparently.
quote:
“I still want to come, but I’m in no rush,” Trump reportedly said to May. “So, if you can fix it for me, it would make things a lot easier.”

“When I know I’m going to get a better reception,” the president said, “I’ll come and not before.”

Source.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17943 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently, the news has occasionally mentioned that the White House says T won't be doing this trip this year.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The White House had previously announced 2018.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since becoming president Trump has visited several countries, and any protests against him have been manageable. I don't see why the UK should be any different. Has he offended British people more than he's offended anyone else?

As for the Queen, I'm sure it's already been said that she's used to hosting world leaders who have dodgy reputations.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there was that small matter of him declaring the democratically-elected mayor of our largest city persona non grata in the US, simply for being a Muslim...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Since becoming president Trump has visited several countries, and any protests against him have been manageable. I don't see why the UK should be any different. Has he offended British people more than he's offended anyone else?

As for the Queen, I'm sure it's already been said that she's used to hosting world leaders who have dodgy reputations.

The fear might be we'd find some way of changing the locks after he left town so you'd be stuck with him forever. Suckers!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contrary to Mail-, Express- and Torygraph-readers' belief, Britain isn't going to be great enough to be worth the trouble, post-Brexit. And we still have to sign up to that great and beautiful trade deal . . .

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By 2018, the UK will be in such dire straits ( aka shite) that we won't give a twopenny cuss whether Ozymandias visits, or whether he doesn't.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10149 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping this up. I heard from NPR that Trump plans on coming to London to see the new US Embassy. He is planning on meeting with PM May, but he will not be visiting the Queen. Too bad (NOT).

[ 21. December 2017, 01:06: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Start knitting the pussy hats now!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bumping this up. I heard from NPR that Trump plans on coming to London to see the new US Embassy.

So is he visiting the US Embassy in London, or is he declaring another city the capital and opening the Embassy there?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Start knitting the pussy hats now!

I should mention that Drumpf will visit in February.

Is it wishful thinking by that time Scotland Yard or someone will find enough evidence to charge this man with a crime against women?

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bumping this up. I heard from NPR that Trump plans on coming to London to see the new US Embassy. He is planning on meeting with PM May, but he will not be visiting the Queen. Too bad (NOT).

Aw. I bet the queen is heartbroken. [Frown]

May will have to tell the queen what she missed.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Bumping this up. I heard from NPR that Trump plans on coming to London to see the new US Embassy.

So is he visiting the US Embassy in London, or is he declaring another city the capital and opening the Embassy there?
[Killing me]
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Aw. I bet the queen is heartbroken. [Frown]

May will have to tell the queen what she missed.

Yesterday, I surfed into "Christmas With the Queen: Surprising Royal Family Holiday Traditions" (Cheatsheet).

I think she can stay happily busy--and will be away into February.

Some fun pics/clips of Herself, BTW. Over here, we usually only get pics where she's reserved. In some of these, she appears to be relaxed and really having fun.
[Cool]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Donald Trump can't be coming to London "to see the new US Embassy" since plans for the building have only just been released (and pretty ghastly it looks too IMHO).

2. It isn't up to HM to disinvite him since he has been asked for a state visit, so it would be up to the state, in the shape of the government, to withdraw the invitation.

3. However, since no date was mentioned at the time the invitation was made, it can be delayed for any length of time.

In fact, if the government like to suggest that it waits until the new embassy is completed it would likely not take place until around 2021 at the earlier, and possibly considerably later - by which time, of course, DJT may no longer be POTUS [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
1. Donald Trump can't be coming to London "to see the new US Embassy" since plans for the building have only just been released (and pretty ghastly it looks too IMHO).

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] According to the London Evening Standard it's been built and will be opened, possibly by Mr Trump, in February. Unless this is the most blatant example of retrospective planning permission ever?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

The picture of the Embassy on BBC News and in the Times looked like the Borg mother-ship. And it's surrounded by a moat, to keep the natives at bas. So much for the Special Relationship. We can't blame Trump for the way it looks, though.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was given planning permission in 2012.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Good luck to them having it ready for February: when I drove past 6 weeks ago it looked far from ready.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope The Great Gropo visits every room.

And is found dead in each one of them.

(I'll get me sou'wester and oilskin jacket, and walk the plank meself....)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10149 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a great idea for a new edition of Clue!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

My understanding is that the visit will not officially be a "state" visit.

The Queen has been known to break with tradition when she friends it expedient.

Having over 2 million of her subjects signing a petition not to receive Trump in a state visit is expedient, in my book.

[ 22. December 2017, 16:32: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I hope The Great Gropo visits every room.

And is found dead in each one of them.

(I'll get me sou'wester and oilskin jacket, and walk the plank meself....)

IJ

Now that would be a mystery that would require the combined talents of Miss Marple, M.Hercule Poirot at the very least to solve......
[Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not to mention Lord Peter Wimsey, Lady Harriet Wimsey, and the ubiquitous Bunter....

IJ

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
......and I think The Saint, Remington Steel and Columbo.......after all we would need to think international...... [Razz]

.....and I haven't even had a drop of wine yet. Honest!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nero Wolfe would sort it all out and wouldn't even have to leave his house to do so.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Nero Wolfe would sort it all out and wouldn't even have to leave his house to do so.

Archie Goodwin, on the other hand, would have a grand time ordering glasses of milk in pubs.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

With Lily Rowan at his elbow. Ah, a fellow Wolfie!

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Our Newseek is reporting that Ms May has said Trump will be getting his state visit, but no date has been given.

I hope it will rain on his parade, rain cabbage, eggs and tomatoes and other rotten vegetables or fruits.

I hope he will see many backsides and many moons from those backsides.

May should not be able to dictate what HM does if he comes.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I hope it will rain on his parade, rain cabbage, eggs and tomatoes and other rotten vegetables or fruits.

"Let the sky rain potatoes; let it thunder to the tune of ‘Green Sleeves;’ hail kissing-comfits and snow eringoes; let there come a tempest of provocation..."
[Big Grin]

(But that play was written during the time of the previous Queen Elizabeth.)

[ 09. January 2018, 03:51: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Bizarre thought:

T doesn't drink, due to a brother's death from alcoholism. Does he attend events where there's drinking? If it's a party at one of his properties, he could easily make it a dry event.

I'm guessing there will be alcohol at the wedding reception?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Probably there will be (champers, at the very least), but I really can't see the Evil Orange One being invited anyway.

Perhaps they should invite just the poor, bewitched, Melancholia, to give the unfortunate Ensorcelled One a day away from the Goblin's clutches.

O, the priceless Tweets that would ensue!

[Devil]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it very difficult indeed to imagine people signing up for the club at Mar-A-Lago (the initiation fee is $200,000! And then there's the yearly dues after that!) if it's a dry facility. He must allow others (other rich people, anyway) to drink even if he himself is not imbibing.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I find it very difficult indeed to imagine people signing up for the club at Mar-A-Lago (the initiation fee is $200,000! And then there's the yearly dues after that!) if it's a dry facility. He must allow others (other rich people, anyway) to drink even if he himself is not imbibing.

It does not surprise me; even at my lowly level in society I know of people paying $25,000 a year to belong to a country club, on top of a $75,000 admission fee. They do so for the dubious privilege of only meeting people like themselves, which they deem to be very valuable indeed.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The resultant in-breeding possibly explains the low intellectual levels of people like the King Of Mar-a-Lago....

IJ

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(In case you're not kidding.)

His mom was from Scotland, and his paternal grandfather came from Germany. So inbreeding is unlikely.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
(In case you're not kidding.)

His mom was from Scotland, and his paternal grandfather came from Germany. So inbreeding is unlikely.

How do you get Scotland out of Norfolk? I assume you are speaking of Lady Diana Spencer who was an offshoot of the junior branch of the Marlborough Dukedom?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

No, T's family, in response to BF's post just above mine.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

To which I might add that I said like the King of Maralago...

I suspect the latter's intellectual difficulties may be due to other causes.

Either way, it was an unkind comment on my part.

IJ

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Then again, can Trump disinvite himself?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It would seem so, as long as we p**s him off royally, a bit in advance....

Perhaps by telling him that The Awful Obamas have bought Buck House as a holiday home? He might believe it.

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a look at Twitter #ICancelledMyTripToLondon

It’s hilarious!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13028 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

Well done, Mr Trump. You have now made it impossible for the Queen, many of whose subjects originate in countries you would no doubt describe as 'shit-holes', to receive you. She is also Head of a Commonwealth that includes several of those countries.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Rumor here is that the terror of demonstrations, the prospect of a sea of pussyhats in Trafalgar Square, has kept him away. I heartily congratulate you, keep up the good work! You do not want him in your country -- God knows we don't.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Well done, Mr Trump. You have now made it impossible for the Queen, many of whose subjects originate in countries you would no doubt describe as 'shit-holes', to receive you. She is also Head of a Commonwealth that includes several of those countries.

And is Queen of many of those countries, just as much as of the UK.

[ 12. January 2018, 20:12: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016