homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Kellyanne and others. Trouble in the White House Team. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kellyanne and others. Trouble in the White House Team.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:

Can any USA-based shipmates tell us more?

He employed an undocumented immigrant as a housekeeper for several years, and didn't pay employment taxes. He has in the past supported immigration reform measures that are in direct opposition to the Trumpist xenophobia.

Plus his ex-wife went on Oprah years ago and claimed he was abusive. But that doesn't make a difference - Republicans are comfortable with that.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further trouble.

Other reports suggest that Harwood was concerned about the muddy chain of command.

Whatever his reasons, it's another blow to team formation.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the kindest and most charitable pro-PG observer must admit that Crooked Don is the pattern-card of bad bosses. Abusive, disorganized, contradictory, short-fused, mendacious (and this is completely putting aside the misogyny, racism, and grabbing of genitals) -- he's the nightmare you never want to work for. You pay for the prestige or the salary in wear on your stomach lining and gray in your hair. Unless you were desperate, or deluded, you would never sign on with him.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for an American newspaper with a mainstream conservative and intellectually rigorous reputation. Obviously I'm interested in their political reporting and analysis and not much else. By mainstream conservative I mean a paper that perhaps supported the smaller Bush administration, but not uncritically.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While you're at it, why don't you wish for a pony, too?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I'm looking for an American newspaper with a mainstream conservative and intellectually rigorous reputation. Obviously I'm interested in their political reporting and analysis and not much else. By mainstream conservative I mean a paper that perhaps supported the smaller Bush administration, but not uncritically.

In my former RL, I had to occasionally scan the US media for such, and found the Wall Street Journal fairly good for this (their Saturday edition IMHO is not a bad North American match for the Weekend FT). One of my media friends thought that the Washington Times fit the bill well, and a quick scan of a current issue suggests that it might.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers. That makes sense. The Australian paper I was modeling my fantasy American paper on was The Financial Review. I'll give it a look.

On another front, I noticed some fake news reports recently. One said that Trump wears false teeth. Those are not his real teeth, but a set donated by his helicopter pilot. Another said that there was a terrorist attack in Sweden yesterday.

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Washington Times is famously funded by the Unification Church, founded by Rev. Moon. The cult is particularly known for the group weddings (200 couples or so at a time). Their reportage is allegedly independent, but I would hesitate to support them monetarily. The paper is almost completely unknown in the DC area. They used to give it to us for free, where I work (just drop it on the doorsteps of the office buildings) but nobody would pick them up to read and they would pile up untidily in the vestibule until the janitor carted them away.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cheers. That makes sense. The Australian paper I was modeling my fantasy American paper on was The Financial Review. I'll give it a look.

On another front, I noticed some fake news reports recently. One said that Trump wears false teeth. Those are not his real teeth, but a set donated by his helicopter pilot. Another said that there was a terrorist attack in Sweden yesterday.

Mind you, some of us bolshie Canadians, labouring under the dual oppression of Queen Elizabeth and a single-payer health system, find the New York Times & the Washington Post both lickspittle corporate lackies, so our notion of what is conservative should be looked at with care.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda - thanks for the reminder re access to The Washington Post through the local library, it even extends down here.

Huia - at the other end of the world

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, as on the Standing With Sweden thread, our hope that there is Trouble is deluded, irrelevant. He's doing more than fine, Kellyanne is his Condi, his Athena. It's rally all the way, 100 times, to glorious retirement in 2025. Meanwhile Christians need to get invisibly busy being incarnational in the real world.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an interesting point that "being incarnational" might actually entail consciously not ranting, despite, the flak that might bring.

(Just considering strategy in the event of a Le Pen win you understand).

[ 20. February 2017, 11:44: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye, exactly, it comes with the opportunity cost of not actually doing anything for its own reward and actually being part of the problem, reinforcing the demagoguery.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda wrote:

quote:
The Washington Times is famously funded by the Unification Church, founded by Rev. Moon. The cult is particularly known for the group weddings (200 couples or so at a time).
I think I might have mentiones this somewhere on the Ship recently, but I've known a few Moonies(and yes, they do answer to that name) here in Korea who were married in arranged, mass weddings. The couple I knew best seeemed rather happy.

The Moonies I've met have almost all been foreigners, ie. not Korean, though a few of the women were married to Korean men(who I've never met). For whatever reason, the Unification Church doesn't seem to have caught on much with the average person over here.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember all those conservatives who were defending Milo Yiannopoulos' right to say whatever damn thing he wants on someone else's podium? I wonder how many are still gonna be saying that now?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Do you happen to have found a mysterious old lamp recently?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:

Simon:

Not a newspaper, but a columnist you might find interesting is Rachel Marsden, a Canadian-born conservative, now based in Paris, and writing in what I would broadly call the populist current, eg. pro-Brexit, pro-Trump, skeptical without being outright xenophobic on immigration etc. She's also pretty pro-Russian and pro-Putin, as you could probably surmise from her other enthusiasms.

I don't really subscribe to her whole worldview, but she is a relatively thoughful and informed defender of one particular, fairly influential, tendency of conservativism these days.

[ 20. February 2017, 17:37: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Brenda wrote:

quote:
The Washington Times is famously funded by the Unification Church, founded by Rev. Moon. The cult is particularly known for the group weddings (200 couples or so at a time).
I think I might have mentiones this somewhere on the Ship recently, but I've known a few Moonies(and yes, they do answer to that name) here in Korea who were married in arranged, mass weddings. The couple I knew best seeemed rather happy.

The Moonies I've met have almost all been foreigners, ie. not Korean, though a few of the women were married to Korean men(who I've never met). For whatever reason, the Unification Church doesn't seem to have caught on much with the average person over here.

The Washington scuttlebutt is that the Times either is, or is being maintained so that in future it can be, an advocate for Moonie issues in the nation's capital. It also functions as a tax shelter -- the good Lord alone knows that the paper is not making any money. You can tell by hefting it that it has perhaps a tenth of the pages of the Post. Rumor also has it that the Unification church has a stake in many of the Japanese and Korean restaurants around town. It is far easier to launder money through small businesses.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
scuttlebutt

Well that's just the kind of thorough-going, well-documented reasearch that definitely won't be classified as "fake news", and makes the lunatic Republican rumour mill look stupid and ready to latch on to any conspiracy theory [Disappointed]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
scuttlebutt

Well that's just the kind of thorough-going, well-documented reasearch that definitely won't be classified as "fake news", and makes the lunatic Republican rumour mill look stupid and ready to latch on to any conspiracy theory [Disappointed]
It is a known fact that the Washington Times is owned by the Moonies. Whether it's being maintained to advance Moonie interests in the future, I don't know(the Church does not exactly seem to have a bright road ahead, membership-wise), but certainly such an agenda would plausibly have been in the Reverend's mind when he started it up.

As for the restaurants, well, I do know that the Moonies own numerous businesses in Korea and the US, possibly elsewhere, and are known for making political donations, as well as donations to religious organizations(google "Jerry Falwell Reverend Moon"). Whether this fits the legal defintion of "money laundering", I don't know. I think that usually applies to money being moved from criminal enterprises into seemingly legit businesses, doesn't it? Apart from Moon's tax problems in the early 80s, I haven't heard many allegations of outright criminality in the organization.

[ 21. February 2017, 03:32: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a wide gray area when it comes to churches, at least as far as taxes go. If you can just organize yourself as a church then (however wacky your creed) many benefits can accrue, and abuses are rife. But it's difficult to crack down, because established churches do enjoy their breaks and fight to keep them.

The Unification Church gossip has been rolling around for at least twenty years, nothing new. A number of the more respected journalists at the Times quit in a huff some years ago, because the Church tried to meddle in their editorial stance. After that they gave up trying to have subscribers and are now mainly on line. Which is a sort of answer to the OP -- this is not a respected news outlet, and is by no means major in the DC area. Look at it on their web site if you want, but I wouldn't send them money. There are better papers.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The ownership is a matter of public record. The aspersions cast on ethnic restaurants, less so, and that is what I was objecting to.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The ownership is a matter of public record. The aspersions cast on ethnic restaurants, less so, and that is what I was objecting to.

Well, from the LA Times...

Big Seafood Business Helps Keep the Rev. Moon Afloat

It seems the church controls a lot of the sushi industry in the US. Doesn't say much, if anything, about them owning the restaurants directly though.

Personally, if somebody said, even inaccurately, that a certain place was owned by the Moonies, it wouldn't have a negative impact on my decision to go there, because, apart from their right-wing politics(which is shared with lots of other groups), I really don't have much against the Unification Church.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( As an aside, i Do have a bit against the Unification Church. I'd got to know a Unification Church member while she was giving out tracts in our town centre. A coffee and chat was about to happen in two days time as she had indicated to me that she was scared. She never showed. The house they were staying in was suddenly empty. A postcard arrived from a distant european country, with just her name on the bottom. Thirty seven years on...i do rather wonder what happened to her.)
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a wide gray area when it comes to churches, at least as far as taxes go. If you can just organize yourself as a church then (however wacky your creed) many benefits can accrue, and abuses are rife.

Yes, L Ron Hubbard, we're looking at you.
[Paranoid]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Wait until they enact the promised repeal of legislation preventing churches from lobbying. Then you'll see the faux denominations pop out of the woodwork. Satanists, the church of Cthulhu, the Pastafarians.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
( As an aside, i Do have a bit against the Unification Church. I'd got to know a Unification Church member while she was giving out tracts in our town centre. A coffee and chat was about to happen in two days time as she had indicated to me that she was scared. She never showed. The house they were staying in was suddenly empty. A postcard arrived from a distant european country, with just her name on the bottom. Thirty seven years on...i do rather wonder what happened to her.)

Fair enough. There's obviously a lot going in the group that outsiders aren't aware of, some of it possibly of a dodgy nature.

I guess my main point is that, contrary to the general stereotype, the Moonies I have met did not seem brainwashed. At least no moreso than, say, Roman Catholics who turned a blind eye to priestly sex abuse because "Well, everyone sins, and those men do such good work for the community."

One of my encounters with a Moonie was rather odd. She had been a teacher at my school prior to my arrival, and seconds after being introduced to her, I mentioned that I was living in her old apartment, with a few other teachers. Her reply...

"I hope you're not having pre-marital sex, because I don't believe in that."

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an odd remark. Does she really not believe that premarital sex happens?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Do you happen to have found a mysterious old lamp recently?

Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you looked at the Christian Science Monitor?

[ 01. March 2017, 21:45: Message edited by: Meconopsis ]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back to the original topic of this thread: Kellyanne’s latest faux pas.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Getting back to the original topic of this thread: Kellyanne’s latest faux pas.
[Roll Eyes]

In the article, she's quoted as saying:

quote:
People should take very seriously the import of their words
I'm guessing her double standard is invisible to her.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They probably have the motto engraved on their calling cards: For me, not you. I get to insult people or talk like a moron, you get every remarked jumped upon and denounced. Oh, and I get Supreme Court nominees, you don't, and I get to send troops off to Yemen.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do rather like the new way of answering questions in the Trump White House.

Questioner: Did you steal the biscuits?
Answer: No.
Questioner: What about this <evidence of biscuit stealing>
Answer: Oh I thought you were asking me about biscuits I didn't steal.

Official WH Spokesman: HOW DARE you ask honorable members of the WH team about biscuits! It doesn't matter if they steal biscuits! What matters is that you people have NO RESPECT.

Trump: You've never met anyone who loves biscuits less than me. Listen: I can't even be in the same room as a biscuit, can't stand the sight of them. It's the truth.

Journalists: Turns out that Trump has a massive biscuit empire.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard on the news that the Attorney General is in hot water for lying to Congress, during his confirmation hearing, about contact with Russia.

I really hope someone is turning all of this into a series of comic books.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The comic books will of course be printed in Russia!

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could I ask a question of US Shipmates?

Has there been any criticism of Kellyanne Conway not for the person she's representing but of her own professional ability?

In the video clips I've seen of her, she doesn't come across as very good at her job. For somebody whose presumably supposed to be good at PR and persuasion, she just doesn't persuade. She may think she does, but unless there is some cross-cultural difference involved, she doesn't. She talks flat out in a loud, shouty voice that's actually rather monotone, a bit like a machine gun. It's as though she's terrified that if she leaves even a breathing space, her questioner will get in another question that she won't be able to answer. To me, it makes her look insecure, a bit like a rabbit in the headlights. It is as though she thinks that because she never gave her questioner the chance to return her serve, she must have won the argument.

People who are confident of their position normally speak slowly, with appropriate modulation. It makes what they say easier to take in, and more persuasive.

Has anyone commented on her weaknesses? Are people fooled by them? Or is her native audience simply impressed that she's got guts, that she's shown 'em?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tukai:
quote:
The comic books will of course be printed in Russia!
More likely China - most things are printed in the Far East nowadays. I daresay the Chinese will be crying all the way to the bank.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sessions is in trouble. He was certainly economical with the truth.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Enoch, Kellyanne is of a piece with the entire team fielded by Li'l Donny. Competence and experience have taken a far-distant back seat to the ability to toady, and physical appearance. The PG famously wants people who 'look right'. One cannot be astonished that she is pretty lousy at her job, but her boss doesn't care and therefore she continues.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:

I really hope someone is turning all of this into a series of comic books. [/QB]

There's a story in the New York Times today about the Obama administration's final actions. They knew, because of course they had access to all the intelligence reports, about Lyin' Don's contacts with the Russians. But they couldn't tell anyone about it. So they buried the information. Not too deeply. In the first place that an investigative reporter would dig. In the back garden, under a loose layer of compost, stick a few plastic daffs in. And they walked away, whistling idly, and waited for the incoming administration to make the first false step. And of course they did, they could not fail to, because character is destiny.

Which brings me around to that comic book. I see the ex-President as the Magic Negro of TVTropes, saving the nation from his secret HQ. It's probably in the garden shed out back behind his new house in DC. There's an elevator that goes down, to the underground command center where he's keeping all the data sticks, the trapdoors into the government websites, the keys into the secret passages under the White House. He doesn't wear a costume, because that would be inappropriate for an ex-President, but his action team does. A thoroughly ethnically diverse group, of course. In spandex, with jackets. All we need is the name and the logo, and we're good to go with the comic book, which should be a cinch for an action movie...

[ 02. March 2017, 14:18: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I really hope someone is turning all of this into a series of comic books.

There's a story in the New York Times today about the Obama administration's final actions. They knew, because of course they had access to all the intelligence reports, about Lyin' Don's contacts with the Russians. But they couldn't tell anyone about it. So they buried the information. Not too deeply. In the first place that an investigative reporter would dig. In the back garden, under a loose layer of compost, stick a few plastic daffs in. And they walked away, whistling idly, and waited for the incoming administration to make the first false step. And of course they did, they could not fail to, because character is destiny. [/QB]
All of which of course only confirms my belief that Pres. Obama is one of the finest presidents, with the most impeccable character, we have ever had-- with or without the superhero status and underground batcave.

But of course, when all this comes to light it will be spun by the right and particularly by TrumpCo as evidence that Obama had a vendetta against him and planted evidence to frame him. Oh, wait, we're already there....

quote:

Which brings me around to that comic book. I see the ex-President as the Magic Negro of TVTropes, saving the nation from his secret HQ. It's probably in the garden shed out back behind his new house in DC. There's an elevator that goes down, to the underground command center where he's keeping all the data sticks, the trapdoors into the government websites, the keys into the secret passages under the White House. He doesn't wear a costume, because that would be inappropriate for an ex-President, but his action team does. A thoroughly ethnically diverse group, of course. In spandex, with jackets. All we need is the name and the logo, and we're good to go with the comic book, which should be a cinch for an action movie...

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He was the reason why I was comfortable with both my children joining the US Army. I wanted their commander in chief to be a man I could trust with their lives. The most intensely admirable quality of our previous Prez is his subtlety, and his ability to play the long game. Qualities which (it is shatteringly plain) do not infest the current holder of the office at all.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Sessions is in trouble. He was certainly economical with the truth.

He stepped in it.

We attorneys always advise clients to give the shortest accurate answer possible when under oath. And for the love of God, don't start volunteering information.

I listened to Sen. Franken's question. He didn't even ask if Sessions had met with any Russians. He just asked if, in the future, allegations came up of contacts between the Russians and the Trump campaign, would the Sessions be comfortable investigating the allegations.

Sessions then volunteered this answer about how he had not met with any Russians himself.

So not only did he lie under oath, the question didn't even call for that answer. He went out of his way to lie.

They are saying now that he met in his capacity as ranking member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, and that he was thinking of that as separate from any roll he had in the Trump campaign. Two problems. First, as I said above, he was never even asked if he met with the Russians in his capacity as a Trump campaign advisor, so he's drawing distinctions that never existed in the question. Second, NPR is reporting that there was a significant uptick in diplomatic meetings with Sen. Sessions this summer, obviously because the diplomats wanted to discuss Trump's possible foreign policy positions.

Just dumb.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am In No Sense a lawyer.

But I have noticed several lawyers and legal commentators suggesting Sessions is going to (try to) get away with this because he was answering the substance of the question if not the literal one.

The substance being that he says he didn't talk to the Russians as a part of the incoming administration.

Now that is going to be tough to fly, one would think, for two reasons. First, as I said above, he appears to be pointing at stolen biscuits and saying that this wasn't the biscuit he was answering questions about. Second, he said himself that he was some kind of poster-boy (I can't remember the exact quote) for the administration even during the time he was apparently having meetings with the Russians.

It seems to me that in ordinary circumstances it would be kinda hard to prove that someone close to a political administration talking to the Russians was not actually talking - even vaguely - on their behalf when talking to the Russians. So volunteering that one wasn't talking to the Russians seems like a stretch when one had been.

And anyway, presumably during the Senate hearings he wasn't actually a part of the administration (because isn't that the point of the hearing?) so any conversations he had with the Russians can't have been official ones in his administration role anyway.

Either way, it seems like he's painted himself into a corner.

--------------------
arse

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Thanks everyone for the tips re conservative American viewpoints. I've subscribed to the Wall St Journal for $2 till 24 April. The story of my epic bargain is in the main thread. Incidentally, WSJ opinion is that Trump et al are stupid not sinister over the Russian thing, as the Sessions recusal breaks. Sessions does seem to be a monumental eejit for answering the Committee's question in the way he did. It is within a whiff of misleading the senate, if not actually misleading, and he should really just push off in shame.

Thanks especially to Stetson for pointing me towards an articulate right-wing columnist. I shall check her out. I also got a recommendation to the Christian Science Moniter. I always thought Christian Scientists were fruit loops, due to an experience my family had in Yosemite NP when I was a young teenager. Have I unfairly generalised this experience to the detriment of Christian Scientists?

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Sorry to double post. This Jeff Sessions bloke has been a senator for 20 years. Does he have a reputation for stupidity, or is his stupidity on this occasion a one-off?

--------------------
Human

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I also got a recommendation to the Christian Science Moniter. I always thought Christian Scientists were fruit loops, due to an experience my family had in Yosemite NP when I was a young teenager. Have I unfairly generalised this experience to the detriment of Christian Scientists?

My parents were members of the Christian Science church for most of their lives. (The church established a presence in Glasgow early in its history, which is where my father's family became attached to it). I'd characterise them as being extremely logical in their doctrine, generally orthodox in the mainstream protestant sense, but not crazy. It led them along paths that I was relieved to abandon as soon as I could, and the presbyterian gene soon re-emerged in me. As in all denominations, you'll find the occasional zealot who can't engage in discussion of other viewpoints, but I think they are mostly harmless. (Two of my sisters have become Quakers, and one is still with the CS church). Their newspaper has enjoyed a solid reputation for decent and accurate reporting for as long as I can remember, so I'd say that was a good recommendation.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
I'd characterise them as being extremely logical in their doctrine, generally orthodox in the mainstream protestant sense, but not crazy.

Except for the aversion to medical treatment. I understand not all are fanatical about that, but isn't prayer is better than medicine still a prominent feature?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Sorry to double post. This Jeff Sessions bloke has been a senator for 20 years. Does he have a reputation for stupidity, or is his stupidity on this occasion a one-off?

It wasn't a one-off. He compounded the error in a written questionnaire response. His argument is I suppose defensible (he was thinking Trump campaign, not normal Senator duties) but it strikes me as a bit too convenient. It's clear that the Trump administration doesn't want too much focus on the Russian dimension during the campaign. So Sessions' claimed "gaffe(s)" certainly helped that cause.

I think Sessions is very loyal to Trump, so I reckon he would know what was expected. Doesn't make his words any less stupid, but I think it makes them understandable.

[ 03. March 2017, 09:19: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016