homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » BREAKING--Two State Solution officially dead. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: BREAKING--Two State Solution officially dead.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Judging by this thread and thousands of similar ones, it may be that someone with no knowledge of history or politics has at least as good a chance of finding a solution than the cognoscenti.

First, no. Not happening. But even should it be possible, it would require knowledge and a grasp of reality that cheeto doesn't have.
quote:

If Trump manages to facilitate one, he will have earned his place in the history books and done the world a great service. I pray for his success.

You make make me laugh. Let's accept miracles have happened and the biblical ones were real. When was the last, verifiable miracle of this calibre?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump getting elected as President?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Mousetheif:
quote:

What a funny way to add to a discussion.

It is a funny way, but I wasn't really that interested in entering the fray of the pissing contest of who can be the most (self) righteously indignant about their chosen 'side'. It strikes me that there are very close parallels with what appears to be an intractable conflict in Israel and Palestine and what went on in Northern Ireland. For years Northern Ireland was pushed into doing something about peace by international leaders outside its borders, but for all of his faults it was actually Bill Clinton who seemed to recognise that essentially compromise was effectively an uneasy state where no one was in fact entirely happy with the result and that those involved directly in conflict were the ones who had to broker peace by talking to each other rather than constantly seeking the righteous support of external nations and their leaders. To me it was a better way, because it achieved peace and ignited hope in a way that I would never have dreamed that I would see in my own lifetime. In the end all of the arguments about who was more right and all the self indulgent digging over old ground of ancient wrong achieved absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to hold up Northern Ireland as some kind of beacon it is clearly not either; there are still huge problems and challenges and violence is still a strong feature of society but to my mind there was a lesson there in terms of how peace began and peace certainly did not begin with internet forum pissing contests and righteousness competitions.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Aren't miracles generally things that people are pleased about? None of miraculous destruction, miraculous carnage, miraculous shit-storm seem to be good adjective-noun pairs.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
As to the settlers, I think this entirely depends on their attitude. My sense is that some settlements would be welcome in a future Palestinian state providing the settlers contribute effectively to that state. Not all the settlers are religious ideologues and I think some may actually be prepared to live in that arrangement and I think there may be some places where Palestinians would accept them as new Palestininan towns.

This is probably a daft question but I don't understand the legal position. Land is owned. Presumably the Palestinian authority has some system of land ownership and the land occupied by settlers is technically owned by someone else - but the state of Israel does or doesn't have a system that applies to Palestinian territories?

I can read about the legal ambiguity regarding Palestine's government in international law (although not easily understand), but what I don't find any information on is what the internal legal positions are regarding land ownership and whether they are internally consistent.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
It is a funny way, but I wasn't really that interested in entering the fray of the pissing contest of who can be the most (self) righteously indignant about their chosen 'side'.

The whole way you frame your comment is wrong. There is an oppressor and there is an oppressed population. There is a bunch of people who were given land under a partition plan and who unilaterally decided to steal the other side's allocation. There is a population living without clean water because there are people down the road who, having stolen their land, have restricted access to their water.

That's what this is about. It isn't about taking sides between equal adversaries and deciding that the Palestinians gib is shinier than the Israelis. It is about taking sides against oppression and against a strong population trying to physically intimidate a weaker one.

quote:
I'm not trying to hold up Northern Ireland as some kind of beacon it is clearly not either; there are still huge problems and challenges and violence is still a strong feature of society but to my mind there was a lesson there in terms of how peace began and peace certainly did not begin with internet forum pissing contests and righteousness competitions.
Northern Ireland is absolutely nothing like Israel-Palestine.

And if you don't want to engage in "pissing contests" stop writing drivel on bulletin boards.

--------------------
arse

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Mr Cheesy, you are of course entirely right; the radiated light of your righteous posts will leap out to illuminate the world and liberate Palestine. The power of piss compels them!

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
This is probably a daft question but I don't understand the legal position. Land is owned. Presumably the Palestinian authority has some system of land ownership and the land occupied by settlers is technically owned by someone else - but the state of Israel does or doesn't have a system that applies to Palestinian territories?

The Palestinian Authority effectively doesn't exist, the only real legal authority in the West Bank is the defacto occupying power, Israel.

Inside Israel-proper, there is a developing set of legal norms as you'd find in most developing countries. Inside the West Bank is a shadowy nether-world of laws made-up and enforced by the Israeli military, many of which harp back to laws set down by the British last time they were there (as occupiers) and even further back. Under these rules, for example, Israel can unilaterally decide that a family has no right to live in land they've been on for generations. It can unilaterally decide to knock houses down and declare than land in the West Bank is henceforth under military control as a gunrange.

There are two legal systems. If you live in the settlements, you are tried under normal Israeli law. If you happen to be a Palestinian 10 yards away, you're tried under a completely different set of laws. Even for the same offence.

Underneath that, the Palestinian Authority has tried to set up and enforce their own laws. But the Palestinian Authority is a puppet of the Israeli military. It can only do what it is allowed to do - which is often not very much given that so many of the lawmakers are in Israeli prison.

quote:
I can read about the legal ambiguity regarding Palestine's government in international law (although not easily understand), but what I don't find any information on is what the internal legal positions are regarding land ownership and whether they are internally consistent.
There are lots of things to read about this if you are really bothered - see btselem on the military courts, Machsom Watch for accounts of how the courts work, this about the two law systems in the West Bank, this from the J-Post about the way Ottoman era property law is used, and so on.

If you don't like those resources, there are plenty of others. Nobody is denying that this is how the Israeli legal system works in the West Bank.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mr cheesy, fletcher Christian

Pissing contests between mutually pissed off Shipmates belong in Hell. As you know.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Israel continues to deny justice, which it will for as long as it exists (that's a prophecy that), maybe simontoad's nice Mr. Trump will allow full refugee status to all Palestinians? That's more likely than divine justice by the falsely named Israel after all. They are backslidden Jacob. Supplanter. Henceforth that's how they should be known.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Martin60:
quote:

If Israel continues to deny justice, which it will for as long as it exists....

You speak of Israel like it's a monolithic identity when it is made up of people. We hear the powerful and the loud voices but can we really be sure that we hear all voices? Who really knows what the next generation will do; why condemn them to a self-fulfilling prophecy? To put it in spiritual terms: have you no faith that God might complete his work, perhaps even in spite of them?

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While all this DH like discussion was going on in here, the expected happened and a Trump administration person indicated the two state solution was not dead.

This time it was the US ambassador to the UN.

Sooooo...maybe not so BREAKING or "officially dead"?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
If Israel continues to deny justice, which it will for as long as it exists (that's a prophecy that), maybe simontoad's nice Mr. Trump will allow full refugee status to all Palestinians? That's more likely than divine justice by the falsely named Israel after all. They are backslidden Jacob. Supplanter. Henceforth that's how they should be known.

Crikey Martin. That's pretty extreme. Why not just go for "synagogue of Satan"?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
While all this DH like discussion was going on in here, the expected happened and a Trump administration person indicated the two state solution was not dead.

The two-mind solution of Trump is not dead! If he pronounces X, we can expect -X before dusk.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by Martin60:
quote:

You speak of Israel like it's a monolithic identity when it is made up of people. We hear the powerful and the loud voices but can we really be sure that we hear all voices? Who really knows what the next generation will do; why condemn them to a self-fulfilling prophecy? To put it in spiritual terms: have you no faith that God might complete his work, perhaps even in spite of them?
Aye fletch. Ten thousand years.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Steady on TT. And it doesn't have the nice resonance.

--------------------
Love wins

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mdijon:
quote:
This is probably a daft question but I don't understand the legal position. Land is owned.
Only in places where the rule of law applies. Anywhere else, land is occupied by those who can fight to defend it against others. As, for example, in the Debateable Lands on the Anglo-Scottish border before the union of the two crowns.

(Note for Americans: you will find a familiar presidential surname among the list of border clans)

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...but to my mind there was a lesson there [(in Northern Ireland)] in terms of how peace began and peace certainly did not begin with internet forum pissing contests and righteousness competitions.

While absolute certainty is never really possible, I'm pretty sure nobody on this thread thinks that what we write here will bring about peace. So this observation, while 100% true, is also 100% irrelevant.

quote:

Only if you think 30 years of right wing propaganda and brainwashing, plus a year or more of Russian manipulation of the press, are a miracle. Otherwise it's pretty evident that Trump's election followed from natural causes.

quote:
Posted by Martin60:
quote:

Martin's statement leaves open that possibility. If the next generation changes in relevant ways, then the antecedent "if Israel continues to deny justice" will be false, obviating Martin's statement. So he is not "condemning" anybody. He's stating a perfectly obvious truth. Continuation of injustice will perpetuate the problem. Cessation of injustice is the only way to bring about peace.

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Or the US ambassador to the UN's days are numbered in his current position.

quote:

Oh FFS. Can we please get over the ridiculous idea that Israel is beyond criticism because it's a Jewish state run by Jews? Like Jews can do no wrong, ever, since the Shoah? Yes, antisemites criticize Israel. From this it does not follow, however, that all criticism of Israel is antisemitic. It grows fucking tiresome every time this old canard is dragged out. Give it a rest.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see lots of people with legitimate criticisms of Israel. I don't see so many people referring to "falsely so-called Israel" or "backslidden Jacob. Supplanter". That seems unnecessary to me.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question. How do Israelis actually justify building settlements? (I know some don't think it's justified of course, but I'm asking about those who do.)

IME, when most people do something that is (apparently) immoral, they still have some rationalisation in their head that explains why it's not really immoral at all.

So when the West (including many of Israel's supporters in the West) say that the settlements are illegal, these Israelis must think: 'What the West fails to understand about the settlements is X.' What is X?

(Yes, we can all think of cynical values for X, but they must have values of X that at least attempt to be just and moral.)

Do they regard the river Jordan as Israel's legitimate western border? If so, isn't a one-state solution pretty much the endpoint of their belief?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
I see lots of people with legitimate criticisms of Israel. I don't see so many people referring to "falsely so-called Israel" or "backslidden Jacob. Supplanter". That seems unnecessary to me.

So's a sense of humour it would seem.

--------------------
Love wins

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is probably a daft question but I don't understand the legal position. Land is owned.

And if I take over your country and supplant your legal system with my own, then maybe land becomes owned by someone else.

Consider land reform in former colonies. Land was owned by large white landowners. A change in governance opens up the possibility of land being taken away from white landowners and given to indigenous people. Perhaps with some degree of compensation for the ex-landowner, and perhaps not, depending on the whim of the new government.

You may take a different moral view of decolonization on the one hand, and settlement on the other, but the legal framework is pretty similar.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It isn't any crazier than the God backs Israel nonsense.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

It isn't any crazier than the God backs Israel nonsense.
Yeah, I'll give you that.
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one possibility for negotiating a two-state solution.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Question. How do Israelis actually justify building settlements? (I know some don't think it's justified of course, but I'm asking about those who do.)

IME, when most people do something that is (apparently) immoral, they still have some rationalisation in their head that explains why it's not really immoral at all.

So when the West (including many of Israel's supporters in the West) say that the settlements are illegal, these Israelis must think: 'What the West fails to understand about the settlements is X.' What is X?

It's their land by right.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

I think "falsely so-called Israel" is defensible. It's not the Israel of yore. It's a new, modern state, pretending to be the Israel of yore by choice of name. (I believe that in 1948 some mumbling was heard in gentile circles over the audacity of the name. It was quickly hushed in the name of antiantisemitism.)

Anti-Zionist orthodox Jews are very upset that a nation was created called "Israel" before the return of Moshiach.

[ 18. February 2017, 03:11: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mt--

Didn't know that last bit, though I did know that there are Jews who aren't Zionists. If the ones you mentioned think the Messiah is being upstaged, they must be furious.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mdijon--

quote:
quote:

Aren't miracles generally things that people are pleased about? None of miraculous destruction, miraculous carnage, miraculous shit-storm seem to be good adjective-noun pairs.
IMHO, there are such things as anti-miracles. Bad stuff that inexplicably happens.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But there are people, are there not, who hold that God has ordained Trump's win for some holy purpose?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't all the neighbouring countries painted the Palestinians into a corner? Excessive demands such as no Israel at all, which leads to Israeli paranoid inflexibility about settlements. Where is an Anwar Sadat or Yitzak Rabin when needed? One traded peace for land, and get killed. The advocated that and got killed.

I don't think it matters who did and didn't do what 50 years ago; the history only shows only Egypt and Israel made peace. No one else has come close. History did not freeze in 1948 or 1979, and won't freeze today either. It isn't Israel's fault. It isn't Palestinians' fault. It might be moreso the neighbouring countries. But none of it matters. I do not think I will live to see peace.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Haven't all the neighbouring countries painted the Palestinians into a corner? Excessive demands such as no Israel at all, which leads to Israeli paranoid inflexibility about settlements.

I don't get the connection. I don't see how controlling the, frankly bastard, settlers has anything to do with the idea of Israel remaining a country.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deutsche Welle re 2 state solution. Basically, all sides suck.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Jordan and Israel signed a peace agreement in 1994.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

np--

quote:
Haven't all the neighbouring countries painted the Palestinians into a corner?

Actually, Jordan has taken in so many Palestinian refugees that (IIRC) they outnumber the Jordanians. Raina, wife of the current king, is Palestinian.

I gather Jordan is overloaded with taking in Syrians, too.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Jordan could be the Palestian state?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Interesting idea, but I don't know how the pre-existing, non-Palestinian Jordanians would feel about that.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Jordan could be the Palestian state?

So your solution to people being dispossessed on their own land is to remove them from it completely?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

That's baiting the hook. But to respond, why not? If it is the only way to peace. And yes, of course it is unjust. War and conquest is unjust. That is how countries operate in our un-updates international realpolitik. People are expendable in that view.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
That's baiting the hook. But to respond, why not? If it is the only way to peace. And yes, of course it is unjust. War and conquest is unjust. That is how countries operate in our un-updates international realpolitik. People are expendable in that view.

It isn't a way to peace. Not only will the Palestinians and Jordan not accept this, the rest of the players will not.
There is no quick and simple solution. There are measures which can reduce tensions. First is no more fucking settlers, full stop. Another would be make the ones there stop being bell ends.
And start treating Palestinians better.
And, honestly, boot some of the settlers the Hell out.
Israel is in the driver's seat, they are the ones who can most easily alter course.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that from the day after the State of Israel was created, when the Arabs attacked her, the Israelis just can't win.

If the entire population of Israel was to be confined to the city limits of Tel Aviv that wouldn't be enough for the Palestinian authority.

They will not be happy until there is a one state solution - that state being Palestine, and that devoid of all Jews.

[ 19. February 2017, 18:02: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Yes, that worked in the western hemisphere.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
It seems to me that from the day after the State of Israel was created, when the Arabs attacked her, the Israelis just can't win.

If the entire population of Israel was to be confined to the city limits of Tel Aviv that wouldn't be enough for the Palestinian authority.

They will not be happy until there is a one state solution - that state being Palestine, and that devoid of all Jews.

That is just bullshit to excuse poor behaviour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, there was no attack after all on the day after Israel became a nation?

Well, that's relief; now I can believe that the Arabs are totally without blame in all of this conflict. There was me thinking the Israelis had enemies.

[ 20. February 2017, 11:07: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Still the same bullshit. That Israel was attacked doesn't excuse their poor behaviour towards the Palestinians.
Your Jesus would agree that two wrongs do not make a right.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

'My Jesus' would have said to the Arabs "Render unto Israel that which is Israel's."

The Arabs had no right to attack a UN-recognised Sovereign state; not in 1948 and not in 1967 either.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

Actually all the main Palestinian factions including Hamas have said that they're willing to accept Israel within the 1967 borders.

quote:
There are some Palestinian hardliners, but it is a bit much to claim that that view is the only one available. And the difference is that whereas the stated policy of the PA, Fatah and Hamas is to recognise Israel within the 1967s borders, the stated policy of the hardliners within the governemnt of Israel is to never ever ever allow Palestinian nationhood.

And, I ought to note that Israel obtained recognition from Egypt and Jordan after the 1967 war. There is full recognition of both of these neighbouring countries of Israel.

And, lest it be said that the Arab league doesn't want peace, there is even an ongoing process by the Arab league which offers recognition for a negotiated peace - re-endorced as recently as 2013.

Pragmatically, it seems that most Arab countries are prepared to accept Israel within the 1967 borders. Contrary to what some would have you believe.

[ 20. February 2017, 12:44: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'My Jesus' would have said to the Arabs "Render unto Israel that which is Israel's."

The Arabs had no right to attack a UN-recognised Sovereign state; not in 1948 and not in 1967 either.

And Israel has no right to settle its citizens outside its borders. The difference is that that is happening now, not in 1967, not in 1948.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
And Israel has no right to settle its citizens outside its borders. The difference is that that is happening now, not in 1967, not in 1948.

Land was illegally captured in 1967 and Israel was created in 1948 from disputed land. So that's not really true.

The reality is that the Palestinians and Arab states are compromising by recognising Israel's existence within the 67 borders, which in some senses were no more theirs than any other land captured in war or created as part of a settler nation.

Incidentally, the Arab states are not at all blameless for the status quo, but instead of recognising the legitimate wish for Palestinian nationhood and the concessions available and on the table, Israel continues with the beligerant occupation mentality. Even if the Arabs are lying, as the hardliners in Israel make out, their bluff should be called if peace is really what everyone wants.

[ 20. February 2017, 14:26: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

My Jesus would have said to Britain, "You have no right to create a state of European immigrants in the middle east and supplant the people now living there."

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016