homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Dust in the Wind

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dust in the Wind
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this video on another page. Some thought it was too nihilistic. Your reactions?
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Some thought it was too nihilistic.

They haven't read Ecclesiastes?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ecclesiastes is not very fashionable. Preachers don't preach on it, and Bible study groups don't discuss it. I suppose it's deemed more appropriate for private reflection.

I do like the song, although the bit about the earth and sky lasting forever perhaps conflicts with the Bible passages about heaven and earth passing away.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Ecclesiastes is not very fashionable. Preachers don't preach on it

I did a preaching series on the entire book last year.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daring! What possessed you to do that? Was your congregation not sufficiently appreciative of the futility of it all??

[Biased]

Actually, if they're a bunch of youngsters it might be rather bracing. More awkward if it's mostly old ladies. I don't know if the latter really want to talk about turning into dust...

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good man Eutychus. It's timelessly brilliant. As fresh as it was three thousand years ago.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SvitlanaV2: For much the same reason that I preached on the 42 kids being mauled by God-sent bears for mocking Elisha's baldness the other week.

It's there. I believe it's there for a reason. If it bothers us, let's consider why. Too many people claiming to believe in the inspiration of 66 books of the Bible pretend some of them, or some bits of them, aren't there. Let's plough through some of it chapter by chapter and see what we can learn.

[ 01. March 2017, 21:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
More awkward if it's mostly old ladies. I don't know if the latter really want to talk about turning into dust...

Then I guess they won't be going (or have gone) to church for Ash Wednesday.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I posted this video on another page. Some thought it was too nihilistic. Your reactions?

Didn't they read the scripture?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Of course, I was being bit facetious in my post above.

But I don't have much experience of Ash Wednesday. The Methodists I used to go to church with aren't into it. And a lot of them are old ladies.

I haven't come across much attention being paid to Ecclesiastes either, but it's good to know that a few churches do spend time on it. It's one of my favourite parts of the Bible.

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our congregation recently studied the Wisdom literature, including Ecclesiastes. What we got out of that book, was no matter what, in the end, it is futile. So it is best to enjoy the company of your friends with a bottle of wine.

Wikipedia has this comment about its background and writing.

[deleted over-long quote]

[ 02. March 2017, 04:59: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Few songs can transport me back to my high school years—particularly 17-year-old me driving, alone in the car, windows rolled down, radio on—as quickly as this one can. It's been one of my favorites for almost 40 years.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful song. The violin, the lyrics, the fingerpicking -- it's a complete package.

I echo Martin60's thoughts on Ecclesiastes. One of the most meaningful books of the OT for me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

hosting/

Gramps49, please don't simply insert huge chunks of text from other sources, especially not without a link. The emphasis here is on original content.

/hosting

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's well done and ties in well with the 'Do we deserve to survive?' thread.

I think it's good to be reminded how small we are. But this can depend on our mood. If it causes us to look upwards and outwards, great. If it causes us to become morose and introspective- not so good.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Daring! What possessed you to do that? Was your congregation not sufficiently appreciative of the futility of it all??

[Biased]

Actually, if they're a bunch of youngsters it might be rather bracing. More awkward if it's mostly old ladies. I don't know if the latter really want to talk about turning into dust...

At 84 I'm an old lady and I loved it.

Sir Lloyd Geering did a series of lectures in which he was The Preacher and he was being interviewed. I have the book of it somewhere...

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Ecclesiastes is not very fashionable. Preachers don't preach on it

I did a preaching series on the entire book last year.
I preached on it years ago. By the time we got to about week 6, we were all so depressed that I gave up!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago my father preached on it. He did the whole thing in one sermon.

The challenge was to read it for ourselves with more understanding of where "the preacher" was coming from.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I wrote my mother's obituary, I quoted Ecclesiastes. The rhythm of the words is profound. I read it out of personal need, a quest (in vain?) for wisdom which might comfort me, and clarify the traumas of her's and others' deaths. And trying to make sense of my own aging, recovery from grave illness.

In Job, we're asking "where shall wisdom be found?". As Christians we're supposed to comfort ourself within Christ and self-sacrifice. But it isn't nearly enough for me to just accept this story, which I don't completely, heterodoxy and heresy being my constant companions. Poets like the Preacher in Ecc are ahistorical, standing in eternity somewhere where I can actually hear them. Unlike dry retelling of parables or miracles - The Jesus stories, good as they are - which only appeal to my sense of the marvellous. Ecclesiastes stands somewhere in the eternal now, where I can can stand with the author, and maybe with Plato, and Faust.

As for the song by Kansas "Dust in the Wind", I first heard it overlooking one of our Canadian lakes named "Manitou' (means basically God), while wondering about the generations of people who'd sat in the same place and contemplated the ultimate - the eternal thinness and all the things I cannot put into words but just know.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Sorry about that.

One of my favorite songs in my youth was Turn, Turn, Turn.

[ 03. March 2017, 00:23: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given my age at the time DitW was first popular (30s), I can't say that it influenced my youth, but I did enjoy it as music and it did set me up for the kind of thoughts that no prophet describes.

Still does, FWIW.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Challenging isn't always comfortable. I don't think we're supposed to swallow Ecclesiastes whole as a pattern for life, but to ruminate on it and derive goodness from the practice of considering what life is really about.

I quite like the song.

Cattyish, ok with discomfort sometimes.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ecclesiastes is my favourite book. Fits me to a 'T'.
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016