homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Christian Vision for Men - countering romanticisation and feminisation of church? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christian Vision for Men - countering romanticisation and feminisation of church?
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, sorry about that redundant half a sentence.
Posts: 6117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to offer up a [Overused] for Anselmina's post on the previous page.
Posts: 717 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
Last week in Church I had a very annoying Sermon on God being like a 'Mother Hen' caring for his Children. I wanted to shout out that Men cared for their Children as well. Caring wasn't just a 'female' thing to do.

Perhaps some bright and imaginative soul can figure out a way to balance the misleading message of that one annoying sermon by occasionally referring to or addressing God as "Father." I'm sure it could be done.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2293 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, we've been having a go about 'Jesus is my boyfriend' lyrics. Here's one which has legs; you can find some male-voice versions out there on the web too [Smile]

(Personally I find the Picardy third a bit metro-sexual, but hey, I can be inclusive about my men's day praise-song choices [Smile] ).

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
Judging by the Newspapers (dangerous I know) they do seem to have numerous stories of 'British' men who convert to Islam especially whilst in prison. Are they ignoring Christian converts ? Perhaps these converts are attracted by the Discipline of Islam. I think many Men like 'rules' to know where they are. They don't like uncertainty, and go for groups with Uniforms such as Scouts and Military. Islam seems to fit that Bill.

If that's what they want they could always come and join The Salvation Army.
We have uniforms and rules.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting point. I wonder the extent to which IS has replaced the SA as the final port-of-call for disaffected Christian men..

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The downturn in the SA's fortunes was when they let women in the brass bands!

(But you never heard that from me... [Smile] )

[ 06. April 2017, 15:05: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some research has been done recently regarding conversion to Islam among black British people, particularly African Caribbean men, from Christian backgrounds.

The reasons are complicated, naturally, but a perceived sense of racism in Christianity - or the Church - is obviously a big issue. The historical and ongoing sense of discrimination from the white world is experienced deeply by many black men, and unfortunately Christianity as it exists within the hierarchies of church life isn't always aligned with that sense of injustice.

By contrast, Islam benefits from certain advantages. Despite the longstanding Arab-led trade in African slaves it's perceived to be less of a 'white man's religion' than Christianity. There are apparently some Africans who played a prominent part in early Islam, and Islam had a much earlier and more regal presence in parts of Sub-Saharan Africa than Christianity.

I also think the prominence of the unorthodox Nation of Islam and of certain black Muslim figures in recent American history has increased the visibility of Islam as a viable religion for the African diaspora. Unfortunately there are no famous black diasporic Christians with the same kind of spiritual presence. There's Martin Luther King, but I think he's become a problematic, almost tokenistic character over time.

On a more basic and obviously gender-related level, black-led churches in the UK and elsewhere are often particularly feminised in terms of numbers, so that's a surely an unattractive factor for some men. Moreover, many observers have complained that (at least until recently) these churches have often been indifferent to social justice issues, and have therefore been unwilling to condemn the racism felt most systemically by young black men. 'White' churches have either been seen as colluding with racist attitudes, or simply culturally unable to value and incorporate aspects of black spirituality.

Regarding the Salvation Army, I don't know how it's addressed these issues. I don't know strong the SA's cultural presence in the Caribbean is, nor how it has tried to address racial and cultural issues both within and without its ranks.

Unfortunately, the main impression I get of the SA in my city is of withdrawal. I suspect that the SA is squeezed by the BME working class churches in the cities but doesn't have the resources to evangelise the dispersed and secular white working classes on housing estates and small towns around the country. Also, sadly, the brass band thing with the uniforms seems very unfashionable these days. Young men want to be where it's at, and Islam, despite or even because of its relentlessly bad PR moments, is urgently, pulsatingly now.

Posts: 6117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an Old Man, I need a Church with Good Toilets, good Amplification, Large print Books or Overhead Projection and Coffee afterwards. I'm easily pleased.
Posts: 1410 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016