homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Tea, scones and weapons: Economic morality (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea, scones and weapons: Economic morality
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
It means there are system-behaviour outcomes when different people's willingness-to-pay values interact.

Not exactly. Markets don't simply exist, they are created. Housing prices rose because sections of the financial market became based on real estate and its continued rise in value. When the natural* market forces could no longer support this rise, it was artificially modified to allow the participation of those who could not naturally participate. The bubble this created was beyond the simple willingness to sell/pay.
This is true of times of need, such as housing, even without market complications.

*For certain definitions of natural, of course.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
it was artificially modified to allow the participation of those who could not naturally participate. The bubble this created was beyond the simple willingness to sell/pay.

Agree that governments can act to make things worse.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Secondly, it is not necessarily true that the profit is entirely attributable to labour. Surely there are other factors, such as the use of technology, intellectual property, capital, etc. Many concepts which might not have been known, understood, or relevant in the 1700s.

Technology, intellectual property, and capital don't spring out of nowhere. They are themselves the results of labour. (Not necessarily the labour of the person who owns them.)
In addition, they don't produce any wealth or profit by themselves. It's only when somebody does some work and puts in the hours that they start producing things.

I'm not an economist. I suspect that a strong version of the labour theory has too many problems. At the same time, it seems to me that the rejection of even weaker versions of the theory by mainstream economists has more to do with the use Marx makes of it than to do with the problems with the strong theory.

There's a strong tension in conservative thought between the idea that you ought to work hard to deserve to get ahead and the idea that even if you work hard you don't deserve any share in the products of your work.

[ 23. April 2017, 12:45: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
If there are only producers and final consumers, there are no bubbles.

Bubbles happen when consumption isn't final. When for example I want to live in a house for 5 years and then sell it on, the price I'm prepared to pay depends not only on the value to me but also my expectation of the value to other people in 5 years time. A rising price then increases the desirability of the good, leading to a bubble.

That doesn't mean there's some mythical "real value" that is independent of anyone's willingness-to-pay. It means there are system-behaviour outcomes when different people's willingness-to-pay values interact.

This is I think irrelevant to the precise point, but modern economics largely works on the basis that markets are rational. That is, actors in the market on average accurately estimate the expected value of people down the line.

More relevantly, I don't think the concept of use value is sufficiently defined in modern economics to distinguish between the cases. If value is subjectively defined there's no difference that registers in the market between value assigned by use and value assigned by the expectation of future profit.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016