homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Why Doesn't Easter Feel Like a Holiday? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why Doesn't Easter Feel Like a Holiday?
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, growing up in the early seventies and being Catholic, Easter was a VERY big deal. My sisters and I had to participate in the very long and tedious "Stations of The Cross" and through the entire events leading up to Easter, the nuns and priests constantly told us that all of us children were directly responsible for the agony of Jesus's death. Funny how the nuns and priests never mentioned THEIR own guilt...nope, they had to undergo the same b.s. conditioning and were only too happy to crush a new generation under the guilt trap.

Anyway, continuing on...our parents gave us each our own little Easter baskets and filled them with the requisite chocolate Easter bunny, chocolate eggs, jellybeans, and for my sisters, dyed hard-boiled eggs (I hated them then and hate them now, dyed or just 'plain'). Our Easter baskets were not huge but we always got enough treats and no one ever complained.

I have noticed, with a growing sense of dismay, however, that our Easter baskets of yesteryear would be sneered at by today's savvy and spoiled child. My wife and I were in a local department store a good three weeks before Easter and noticed a large area near the checkout lines that was overflowing with racks and racks of cellophane-wrapped Easter baskets nearly as tall as I am (5' 7"). Oh, there was candy a'plenty but also puzzles, stuffed animals, foam footballs and...for the young boys...plastic machine guns and toy handcuffs! Nothing quite celebrates the sacrifice of Jesus like a colossal basket crammed with toy machine guns and play handcuffs!
Truly this would inspire the phrase, "Jesus Wept". I certainly felt like weeping when I saw all that garish crap. Actually, I really had to restrain myself from doing a "Jesus chases the money-changers out of the temple" and just run at those shelves and hurl those baskets to the floor. [brick wall]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016