homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » UK General Election June 8th 2017 (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  32  33  34 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UK General Election June 8th 2017
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is for the Unionists! Like everything else in NI, Brexit broke down along sectarian lines. Unionists voted Leave. Nationalists voted Remain. So the Unionists would love to support a Conservative Brexit.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
It is for the Unionists! Like everything else in NI, Brexit broke down along sectarian lines. Unionists voted Leave. Nationalists voted Remain. So the Unionists would love to support a Conservative Brexit.

I'm not so sure. It's easier to support Brexit from a distance when they're not actively involved in supporting the government that is doing it. A bit trickier when they have to explain to constituents why they're risking the peace on such a crazy idea that they're actively supporting.

[ 08. June 2017, 22:11: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First two results from Newcastle and Sunderland suggest Conservatives have done better than the exit poll, and Labour worse. Now flannelling over the impact of Brexit and where the UKIP vote has gone...

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the majority of their constituents voted Leave! They'd be only too pleased!

[cross post - reply to mr cheesy]

[ 08. June 2017, 22:12: Message edited by: TurquoiseTastic ]

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
First two results from Newcastle and Sunderland suggest Conservatives have done better than the exit poll, and Labour worse. Now flannelling over the impact of Brexit and where the UKIP vote has gone...

Conversely Labour were 11% up in the first conservative hold. The results are all over the place.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I can't make sense of these exit polls and individual seat results. Going to be a nervous (and short) night's sleep.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:

On the grounds that the Tories will implement Brexit, I expect most UKIP votes to go there. Any UKIP votes that go anywhere else must be counted a loss the Theresa May.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my younger work colleagues said something interesting today. He is 28 and really enthusiastic about this election and Jeremy Corbyn because he is the first "proper Labour PM" he can remember. He can only remember Tony Blair and his successors - aged 8 or 9 in 1997. He (and my daughter, of a similar age) have both joined the Labour Party following Jeremy Corbyn standing for the Labour Party leadership.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink is right.

UKIP is collapsing; the big issue is going to be who gets those votes. So far, in safe Labour seats, Conservatives are getting a bigger share; in safe Conservative seats, Labour are getting a bigger share.

Whatever the final result, it is a bad result for UKIP and a bad personal result for Theresa May. Both of which get a big cheer from me.

It might also be a yet another bad night for the pollsters.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two things going on here, I believe:

1. Young vote inspired by Jeremy Corbyn into politics and voting;
  2. The suggested way to send a clear message, according to the tactical voting sites, was vote either Labour or Conservative

I stood in the polling station this morning, in a safe conservative seat, debating which way I was voting - Labour to send a message to the Tory party, or for the guy standing as Lib Dem candidate, who I know well and is a good local councillor. In 2015 the conservative candidate here polled over 50% of the vote. I think that's why Labour and Conservative votes are up in all constituencies.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice point made by BBC.

Brexit referendum threw everything up in the air and its coming down in a very different way.

South more Labour
North more Tory

One thing is for sure: those who said Corbyn was a complete disaster are wrong.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to be up at five as I'm off on holiday, but I don't want to go to bed until I have a clearer idea of the final result. Oh well I guess I can sleep on the plane.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toot toot Tooting!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
One of my younger work colleagues said something interesting today. He is 28 and really enthusiastic about this election and Jeremy Corbyn because he is the first "proper Labour PM" he can remember. He can only remember Tony Blair and his successors - aged 8 or 9 in 1997. He (and my daughter, of a similar age) have both joined the Labour Party following Jeremy Corbyn standing for the Labour Party leadership.

Yup, i think he's right

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I'm just praying for a miracle.

Looks like your prayers have "availed much"!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not too sure about that, but fingers crossed....

I wasn't intending to stay up to see what happens, but sleep does not yet beckon.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bookies now have Corbyn favourite to be prime minister.

[ 09. June 2017, 01:19: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. There's a way to go yet, but Labour are doing well - so far....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in while at work...

Could the polls be wrong? Again?

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes, they could - but the exit poll may prove to be accurate-ish...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the son of one of our churchwardens, standing for Labour in a (fairly) safe Tory seat (it was Labour a few years ago), not yet declared.

IJ

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nick Clegg has lost his seat to labour. On the other hand Vince Cable has taken Twickenham back. Meanwhile, Tim Farron is having a recount.

[ 09. June 2017, 01:56: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexist scumbag, Philip Davies, has lost Shipley. A pleasing result.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sadly, the Greens failed to win Bristol West, where Labour achieved a majority of about 35000!

No result yet from Caroline Lucas' seat in Brighton.

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really want to stay up for Wakefield to be declared, but my stamina is starting to waver. Tories have been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us so am genuinely a bit worried.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed - it's getting interesting. So far, Labour are well ahead, at the expense, mostly, of SNP, and a few Tories.

IJ

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Checking in while at work...

Could the polls be wrong? Again?

Yep. I suggested they might be several pages back.
People will eventually resist the posivist wet dream that attempts to reduce us all to numbers. They did in the US in 2016, to our chagrin. This time, it looks like a happy thing.

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do like Lord Buckethead. And who is that red creature at Theresa May's constituency's count?
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
People will eventually resist the posivist wet dream that attempts to reduce us all to numbers. They did in the US in 2016, to our chagrin. This time, it looks like a happy thing.

I do hope so, but there seems so much money invested in polls I wonder who will be first insider to admit the emperor has no clothes? I think they can be useful, but the live-and-die-by-them mentality, or the belief we are all honest when polled [and I'm yet to be polled once], is troubling.
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Bookies now have Corbyn favourite to be prime minister.

Conservatives + DUP look to have an overall majority over a progressive coalition of the other parties. Plus 6 or 7 Sinn Fein MP's always abstain.

So at present I can't see Jeremy Corbyn becoming PM but I could see another election this year. May will probably go, maybe not straight away.

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do like Lord Buckethead. And who is that red creature at Theresa May's constituency's count?

Elmo from Sesame Street.
[Smile]
He only got 3 votes
[Frown]

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Conservatives currently on 285 with 56 seats to declare (326 would be a majority), Labour have 245. BBC says Conservatives will fall short of a majority. A remarkable night!

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously a bad result for Mrs. May.

Mr. Corbyn loses Milibandly - stand by for both left and right wings of the Labour party to claim vindication for their preferred politics, although this has to strengthen Corbyn's position in the short term.

Are we looking at a minority Conservative government propped up by the DUP? Possibly a full-blown coalition?

Does anyone have a feel for what the loss of seats means for the SNP? Obviously the only way was down, but this seems like s significant turn against them.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Are we looking at a minority Conservative government propped up by the DUP? Possibly a full-blown coalition?

One or the other. DUP will want concessions on Brexit. Probably the single market solution, given the border with Eire. If the Tories can't find a way of fudging that or agreeing to that, the odds are strongly in favour of another election this year.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
One or the other. DUP will want concessions on Brexit.

I think one has to read the result of this election as at least a modest rejection of the "Hard Brexit at any cost" anti-strategy currently being offered by the Tories.

Will be interesting to see how the Tories respond. May's position looks weak, but who on earth would want to take the poisoned chalice from her right now?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Sexist scumbag, Philip Davies, has lost Shipley. A pleasing result.

I've been asleep but I think this is wrong, sadly.

Otherwise some are saying the exit poll could be the most accurate ever.

--------------------
arse

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks alienfromzog.

Exit polls: how are they conducted? Do they try and ask as many people as possible, or do they try and selectively choose a wide sample based on gender, age, race [I know; but I can't think of a better word], etc...?

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Jeremy Corbyn led an excellent campaign (proving a lot of people wrong). The Tory campaign was disastrously misconceived, badly presented especially by the PM. Some nasty journalist described it as a "Hillary campaign".

Given these factors, 316 or so seats for the Tories is a better result than it might have been. The next few days are going to be 'very interesting'. Hopefully they will not be 'also stoopid' (tips hat to Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In).

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
One or the other. DUP will want concessions on Brexit.

I think one has to read the result of this election as at least a modest rejection of the "Hard Brexit at any cost" anti-strategy currently being offered by the Tories.
Yes, the result looks to me like effectively a second Brexit referendum.

Just bear in mind that you are supposed to be starting Brexit negotiations on June 19, by the way...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Thanks alienfromzog.

Exit polls: how are they conducted? Do they try and ask as many people as possible, or do they try and selectively choose a wide sample based on gender, age, race [I know; but I can't think of a better word], etc...?

I posted a link above - it is about finding people who are representative of a constituency and clever statistical modeling.

--------------------
arse

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George Osbourne whoring himself all over the media all night, being a media tart himself now. May will be one of the shortest lived PMs ever and it's a rejection of hard Brexit.

Conveniently forgetting that it's also quite a rejection of his austerity stuff too I would imagine....

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Thanks alienfromzog.

I posted a link above - it is about finding people who are representative of a constituency and clever statistical modeling.
Thanks...sorry; missed that link.
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

Sinn Fein now on 7, up 3, in a further small shift of the balance required for an effective majority, as they have confirmed they will continue to abstain.

SDLP and UUP have lost all their seats, making the DUP bigger players.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Results declared so far: May definitely cannot get a majority but looks like she might be able to scrape together a government with DUP support, though even a DUP-Conservative coalition would have a reduced majority.

SNP: Not really a good night for them. They've still got a majority of Scottish seats. I think Sturgeon will probably kick the second referendum into the long grass unless Brexit goes belly up. That's less likely than it was.

Liberal Democrats: not the rebuilding of Liberal Democrat fortunes Farron was hoping for. But moving in the right way for them.

Labour: indisputably under almost any other Labour leader we'd still have a Conservative government because under almost any other Labour leader May wouldn't have been tempted to call an election.
On the one hand, you could argue that after that Tory campaign Labour should have won. On the other hand, it looks as if Corbyn's strategy of picking up younger voters has succeeded. The alleged army of right-wing Labour saboteurs mysteriously failed to materialise. Scottish Labour, that hotbed of Blairism, were praising the manifesto. A lot of Labour MPs are suddenly going to be much happier with Corbyn than they were.

Conservatives: are as of typing on course to be comfortably the largest party. But if you call an election because you say you need a bigger majority for a mandate, and you lose your majority it's a little awkward claiming that you've got the mandate you didn't have before you called the election.

Brexit negotiations start in a couple of weeks time. Now is not the time for another leadership contest in the governing party. On the other hand, May clearly cannot command the confidence of Parliament. Hooray for Strong and Stable government.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if this will be useful, but Yahoo has links to trending stories about the election, like possibly a hung parliament.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
SNP: Not really a good night for them. They've still got a majority of Scottish seats. I think Sturgeon will probably kick the second referendum into the long grass unless Brexit goes belly up. That's less likely than it was.

The Scottish government has already formally requested a referendum, so it's now in the hands of whoever will be PM whether or not to grant that request. Maybe a clever move for a pro-unionist PM to let the Scottish government run their referendum with an expectation that support for independence will be less than it was in 2014 (in part because of antipathy towards yet another referendum), which really will kick independence into the very long grass. Though, recent experience with elections suggests it could be a massive risk. Denying the request for a referendum just plays into the "Scotland under the thumb" narrative.

In what sense is Brexit going belly-up now less likely? There are I guess three broad options:

1. May continues as PM and continues to follow the form of Brexit outlined
2. May continues as PM and sets out a new version of Brexit reflecting what seems like a clear rejection of her hard Brexit
3. Someone else takes over as PM (probably another Tory - a Labour lead coalition seems very improbable) with a different version of Brexit

1-2 leaves the UK side headed by a lame duck, and the EU will walk all over her
2-3 leaves the UK entering negotiations after a significant delay (to define a new position and/or get a new PM), reducing the already tight negotiation timetable

These options all put the EU negotiators on the high ground. Which I suppose could be a good thing, because that may mean we get Brexit on the terms of the EU rather than the UK which is likely to be a far more sensible outcome. If we leave the EU and retain freedom of movement, for example, that would be a better Brexit for the UK and the EU.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Will be interesting to see how the Tories respond. May's position looks weak, but who on earth would want to take the poisoned chalice from her right now?

In that sense it's possibly less worse than a victory leaving labour holding the baby (we've just had the lowest growth rates in the region). It just needs 7 good Tories/DUP to stop that bad times being used as an asset grab. The short term pains still worse, but it might recover better.
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I think anyone with a majority of less than 5 is going to find it incredibly hard to negotiate anything - particularly if that's based on additional votes from the DUP.

I think there's going to be another election.

--------------------
arse

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Government of national unity ?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Correction: it looks like Tories + DUP will have between 5 and 10 seats more than everyone else.

I still don't think that's a workable majority in practice. But also means that nobody else can get one either.

--------------------
arse

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's something of a disaster from the point of view of Brexit. Remain has no mandate. Nobody has any ground to say the country is united behind their take on Brexit. A government of national unity isn't going to happen - nobody wants to get burned the way Clegg did.

I blame Cameron. This is what comes of running a referendum and not being prepared to take responsibility for the result.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  32  33  34 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016