homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » UK General Election June 8th 2017 (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UK General Election June 8th 2017
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, please, Americans, pretty please, send us the Obamas to sort us out.

Soon as you like. Tomorrow would be good.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
A friend said to me that Labour has to keep its UKIP wing happy, and therefore has to reject single market. This would be comical, well it is, if it wasn't also surreal and barking mad. There we are, the silly season has now been extended to a full twelve months. And it's free!

I've got a very uneasy feeling about all this - I think that when the dust has settled (a bit, such as and to the extent that it can) both Labour and the Conservatives will realise that they've managed to pull together mutually exclusive and contradictory coalitions behind their respective vote shares.

Especially as first reports seem to suggest that the Tories have done better among less educated lower social classes and leave voters, and Labour's taken a bigger proportion of UKIP than anyone saw coming *and* disproportionately middle class remainers.

Both sides are going to struggle to square those circles when it comes down to it into anything like a coherent programme for government.

*If* there's another general election quickly then you'd have to say Labour should walk it (although obviously we can't know how many people voted for them to either deny the Tories a huge majority or because they expected them to nonetheless lose so it was safe not to have to break the habit of a lifetime and vote for someone else).

At the same time though, it's worth noting amongst all the sound and fury that the Tory vote share was up too - so there's no guarantee that all the people who didn't want Jeremy last week are suddenly going to vote for him in 3 months time or whatever.

We're potentially in a baked-in deadlock.

What a complete mess.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Survation has Labour six points clear today. Just saying...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TLDR for the above post - the Tories have just run the most inept campaign of any party in my lifetime, under undoubtedly the worst leader, and still managed to stumble out ahead on points against a born campaigner.

The runes don't look particularly good for this getting sorted any time soon - although amidst all the fury about the DUP, given some of the things in their manifesto they could actually have the effect of dragging the Tories more to the centre on social care and a softer Brexit... which sounds ludicrous but actually...

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Hence why I said if there was a GE soon/now they'd walk it.

That doesn't mean that in 6 months time when the farcical coalitions of voters both main parties seem to have put together have become more apparent it will still be true.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here, for your delectation and delight, are some anagrams on 'Arlene Foster' (leader of the DUMPS):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Cs2GBWgAASTBC.jpg

You may, of course, choose that/those which you feel are apposite, whilst I get my coat, and close the door behind me.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Before I go to my martyrdom, here are some nice anagrams on 'Theresa May MP':

The smarmy ape.
Smear the PM, ya?
May hate sperm!
Her a steamy MP!
Am the year's MP!
A hasty, mere MP.

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would expect Labour to have a honeymoon for a while. But for how long? They will privately expect to win next time, but presumably, won't brag, fatal mistake.

I suppose the Tories have to be quiet now, and not frighten the old ladies and so on. But it all looks unstable. Corbyn is in pole position, unless he does something untoward, or the Tories have a Brexit triumph.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cunning plan being touted is that Tories let Labour in with a minority govt, and hope they mess up big time, thus allowing Tories back in.

However, this is a massive gamble. Any election could easily see Labour with a majority.

It's Clint Eastwood time - do you feel lucky, punk?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A cunning plan being touted is that Tories let Labour in with a minority govt, and hope they mess up big time, thus allowing Tories back in.

However, this is a massive gamble. Any election could easily see Labour with a majority.

I did make this suggestion above - they don't have to mess up, they just have to make unpopular decisions and get voted down on anything that looks progressive.

I can't see it happening myself.

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:

Seems a bit too risky to go for to me. The one that I think *might* have some traction is trying to run as is on everything but Brexit, where they stand up and make a full and open offer to Labour to come in on the negotiations - Starmer as deputy at the department, etc.

It would be *very* difficult, given the clock is ticking on the negotiations anyway, for Labour to get away with saying no if the alternative is the Tories somehow cock it all up *then* the government falls when time's run out. Of course, Labour standing aside while the Tories screw it all up would bury the Tories at the subsequent election, but it would also ensure a coating of ordure for themselves which they might find difficult to shake off too.

At that point, the much spoken about before the election new centrist party comes riding into the vacuum.

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as though a lot of people who voted Remain, plus some who didn't vote in the referendum for whatever reason (some were not old enough) thought they could help derail Brexit by voting labour. This was obviously a vain hope, the commitment to honour the referendum result is in the manifesto, and Corbyn & McDonnell were reluctant remainers at best.

All moot anyway. The Brexit negotiations are now likely to consist of the EU handing us a list of demands and telling us to come back when we've agreed to them.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A Labour minority government would get some of the more urgent business done, pull the trigger, and slap down another, fully-costed manifesto.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

But, but, but, we want a full and fruitful trading relation with the EU, with regulatory harmonization, and security cooperation, that's why we want to leave. And other idiocies.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Iam Climacus:

quote:
Can someone explain, or point me to an explainer on, Scottish sectarianism? Thanks.
Now that we are on p25, this question from p24 risks being lost.

I'm not the persaon to answer, as I live in a part of Scotlnd largely untouched by sectarianism. The main areas affected are those on the west coast of Scotland which experienced the greatest Irish Catholic immigration in the late C19th / early C20th. By the late C20th, sectarianism had moved away from the churches and was focussed on football (Glasgow Rangers = Protestant, Glasgow Celtic = Catholic, Edinburgh Hearts =Protestant, Edinburgh Hibernian = Catholic, Dundee United = Catholic, Dundee FC=Protestant). Then the football clubs and the law started to crack down on it. E.g. sectarian songs are banned from football grounds, and from public transport carrying fans to football matches.

It's still there, though.

Someone living in the Central Belt will be able to give a better answer.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

A Labour minority government would get some of the more urgent business done, pull the trigger, and slap down another, fully-costed manifesto.
Reminds me of 'Arold in 66, after he'd scraped home in 64, he just stuck his pipe in his gob, and he was home free. And he came back in 74, and then, well, 74. Then the light began to fade, I guess, poor old sod.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about this for a conspiracy: Labour allow the Tory gov to limp on during the EU negotiations, knowing that they're in no position to try to muscle hardline views into the negotiation. These go on but are not particularly fruitful.

The entire Tory frontbench knacker themselves out totally what with needing to rush back to Westminster on every vote, needing to stay up late and trying to placate increasingly irate DUP-ers and Tory headbangers demanding things in return for support.

After nearly 2 years of running them ragged, Labour lights the blue fuse and sets in place a surprise manifesto saying that the EU deal is a shite one and that they're going to declare to the EU that they're not going to leave after all - so the election becomes effectively a second referendum..

--------------------
arse

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
TLDR for the above post - the Tories have just run the most inept campaign of any party in my lifetime, under undoubtedly the worst leader, and still managed to stumble out ahead on points against a born campaigner.

Old people vote in greater percentages and numbers. Old people tend to vote Conservative.
Young people, who have a greater percentage of liberals, tend not to vote in high percentages.
Of those left over, most tend to vote status quo, even if they are dissatisfied.
All the advantages, save for reason, were on the Tory side.
This is the case of Usain Bolt nearly being caught at the finish, not a stumbling runner winning anyway.

[ 11. June 2017, 16:04: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Reminds me of 'Arold in 66, after he'd scraped home in 64, he just stuck his pipe in his gob, and he was home free. And he came back in 74, and then, well, 74. Then the light began to fade, I guess, poor old sod.
Have you been taking lessons from Martin60?
[Paranoid]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

Just in case people want a sample of the anger currently being pointed at McDonnell. The sense of betrayal is visceral.

I've got no problem with how anyone voted, and would much rather they did than didn't, but it'd be nice to think they'd start reading the manifestos of the people they were voting for.

Peston on Twitter

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Sober Preachers' Kid - What, you mean a long memory? I remember the bingo callers, number ten, 'arold's den. What the hell was I doing playing bingo?

[ 11. June 2017, 16:10: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

After nearly 2 years of running them ragged, Labour lights the blue fuse and sets in place a surprise manifesto saying that the EU deal is a shite one and that they're going to declare to the EU that they're not going to leave after all - so the election becomes effectively a second referendum..

Well, I read with interest and thought it was plausible until I got to this bit - firstly, what about their own Leave voters, and secondly, what if the EU puts out a statement in response saying that's not an option, or "ok, but no opt-outs and sign here to adopt the Euro"?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

He's talking about Harold Wilson and the 1974-79 government, the last time we had this kind of mess.

--------------------
arse

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twitter has no middle ground.

Either everybody is going to hell

or

PUPPIES!!!

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Well, I read with interest and thought it was plausible until I got to this bit - firstly, what about their own Leave voters, and secondly, what if the EU puts out a statement in response saying that's not an option, or "ok, but no opt-outs and sign here to adopt the Euro"?

The EU have already said it is an option. Simply declare that we're not leaving after all. Sorry chaps, the Tories went off on some weird flight of fancy.

I don't think the Leave supporters are going to be a major problem if the Tories limp on for months and the only thing they get out of the Brexit negotiations is something which would obviously ruin the country.

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Well, 64 to 66 was the first parallel, although not a very good one, as Labour did win in 64, but narrowly. And very narrowly in 74, but 'Arold hung on, and Callaghan.

Damn, I'm old.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
The EU have already said it is an option. Simply declare that we're not leaving after all. Sorry chaps, the Tories went off on some weird flight of fancy.

If we can just resume on the same terms as before then there might be something in it, if there are caveats or new things to sign up to (currency, etc) then I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I wonder if the Brexit fervour will start to fade? May has sucked the air out of it, to start with, and UKIP looks like a faded balloon. Who has the energy now to rage against EU?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
If we can just resume on the same terms as before then there might be something in it, if there are caveats or new things to sign up to (currency, etc) then I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident.

IANAL, but as far as I understand, those who wrote Article 50 say that as we can declare it enacted, we can also declare it un-enacted. Given that we're still in until we're out, it is hard to see how we'd have to renegotiate a position vis-a-vis the position we have in the EU, given that they're what we have in hand.

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
I wonder if the Brexit fervour will start to fade? May has sucked the air out of it, to start with, and UKIP looks like a faded balloon. Who has the energy now to rage against EU?

You'd think so, but I've been in some very Brexity places since Thursday and the sample chat in the pubs of the M62 corridor is "I voted Labour because when it comes down to it I'll get more from them than the Tories and they'll still give us a hard Brexit."

Trying to align that with my southern dwelling university educated friends who've just voted Labour to stop Brexit is where I see the fault lines starting to develop even in Labour's apparent "one more heave" triumph.

Seriously, when the dust settles, I think both the two big parties have got problems to face.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Sorry that made more sense in my head than seeing it written down. I mean we're in the EU, we don't lose stuff until we're out.

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Sorry that made more sense in my head than seeing it written down. I mean we're in the EU, we don't lose stuff until we're out.

No I got that - one of those times I wish this place had a like button then I could have just shorthanded it and you'd have known.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone explain how May saw the campaign and the vote - the hammering the tories took over the state of the NHS - and thought, I know, I'll keep the same health secretary, that'll help ?

Even if she felt she had to keep rhyming slang in the cabinet, wouldn't it have made sense to at least move him ?

[ 11. June 2017, 16:59: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Can someone explain how May saw the campaign and the vote - the hammering the tories took over the state of the NHS - and thought, I know, I'll keep the same health secretary, that'll help ?

Even if she felt she had to keep rhyming slang in the cabinet, wouldn't it have made sense to at least move him ?

no - he's been soaking up attack after attack, humiliation, excoriation and still getting on with it. I would imagine the thinking is no different now than it was before the election. There's no point in destroying more than one person in the SoS for Health role if you're not going to change the overall direction.

Of course, whether you should change the overall direction is another thing entirely. But if you're not going to (and IMO this strongly suggests that he's doing as he's told rather than what he wants to do) then there's literally no point in moving him and passing the "stand here and be shot at" brief onto some other person.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he's doing as he is told, they should seriously consider rewriting his instructions - because everybody's noticed it's not working.

[ 11. June 2017, 17:06: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether it's working or not surely depends on the plan. If it's working at the moment then the plan is clearly to totally destroy the NHS.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But if you're not going to (and IMO this strongly suggests that he's doing as he's told rather than what he wants to do)

You ignore the possibility that what he's been told to do is also what he wants to do - given his background, I can imagine that the particular set of policies could be ones that he finds himself in agreement with (in the same sense that if you are surrounded by bankers then a financial instrument is often the way you try and solve everything - see 'dementia tax').
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ongoing trainwreck though it may be, one Good Thing about the whole election business is the increasing diversity amongst MPs, in the best possible way (IMHO):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40232272

Elect more women, physically-challenged, LGBT+ etc., and we'll be much better off!

IJ

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
But if you're not going to (and IMO this strongly suggests that he's doing as he's told rather than what he wants to do)

You ignore the possibility that what he's been told to do is also what he wants to do - given his background, I can imagine that the particular set of policies could be ones that he finds himself in agreement with (in the same sense that if you are surrounded by bankers then a financial instrument is often the way you try and solve everything - see 'dementia tax').
true - wasn't doing it consciously though. either way no one else in their right mind would touch it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

She has given Michael Gove a job. Michael fucking Gove.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Fret ye not - the fucktards will all be out of a job soon....and every one of them will have severe gunshot wounds to their feet.

I live in hope....

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Meanwhile, over the Channel (in my next nearest county!*), things are looking up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40242531

(*it takes me less time to get from here to Paris, than from here to Birmingham...).

IJ (pro-Europe, EU, and Euro)

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Possibly my first ever agreement with George Osborne. A dead woman walking. This is just part of the evidence.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
true - wasn't doing it consciously though. either way no one else in their right mind would touch it.

Possibly. Depending on how venal they were I suppose.

OTOH lets look at this from another angle - he's allegedly very unpopular - what does this actually translate to in terms of reaching the bubble within which he is in? The odd misprouncation of his name and the occasional scathing article in the Guardian?

Really? In terms of measurable opprobrium directed at him personally, what does it amount to?

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To get some perspective, the Tories polled 42.4% of the vote, their highest since 1983. They also got more votes than Tony Blair achieved in his famous 1997 landslide. That's hardly a rout. Yet it pales into insignificance against Labour's hike of 10% in its share, the most since Attlee in 1945. What this election shows is how hopelessly divided the country is now. I long for a return to consensus politics, and I see PR as the only way of achieving it. But I won't hold my breath. If May's government collapses and Corbyn gets to Downing St, he'll see a 40% share of the vote as a mandate for a radical agenda. Which it wouldn't be under PR. The big two will never agree to a change of system which could alter their five years dictatorships which seem to be reversed and reinstated every time power changes hands.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

So she hasn't actually got a deal with the DUP yet, the deadline is 14 days, so she's got until the 23rd of the month technically - not sure when the Queen's speech is actually due.

The Irish government is also expressing concerns about The DUP deal.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Saw May talking to BBC news channel, again is speaking in this wierd scripted way. That woman just can not answer a question.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Originally posted by Iam Climacus:

quote:
Can someone explain, or point me to an explainer on, Scottish sectarianism? Thanks.
Now that we are on p25, this question from p24 risks being lost.

I'm not the persaon to answer, as I live in a part of Scotlnd largely untouched by sectarianism. The main areas affected are those on the west coast of Scotland which experienced the greatest Irish Catholic immigration in the late C19th / early C20th. By the late C20th, sectarianism had moved away from the churches and was focussed on football (Glasgow Rangers = Protestant, Glasgow Celtic = Catholic, Edinburgh Hearts =Protestant, Edinburgh Hibernian = Catholic, Dundee United = Catholic, Dundee FC=Protestant). Then the football clubs and the law started to crack down on it. E.g. sectarian songs are banned from football grounds, and from public transport carrying fans to football matches.

It's still there, though.

Someone living in the Central Belt will be able to give a better answer.

I'm by no means an expert either, but I've encountered sectarianism in the wild (as it were) around here. There are elements of the Church of Scotland that still harbour some pretty rabid anti-Catholic sentiments, to the point where the minister here had to preface the creed with a reminder/reassurance that catholic means universal and doesn't refer to Rome.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Here is a potted history of the issue in Scotland, Glasgow specifically - but is a good general description of the context.

[ 11. June 2017, 19:35: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The next Prime Minister re-enters Cabinet...?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016